FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Xanthrax

New cards for new player

I am pretty new to Hearthstone. I have bought around 10 classic packs so far and now I'm looking for the best way to expand my card collection. I haven't decided on a character yet.

As far as I see it I have the following options:

- Keep buying classic packs

- Save for and keep running the Arena

- Save for wings of Naxx and Black Rock

I tried the  Arena once with the free pass and got 2 wins. That's probably not enough to keep saving for it. I know people say to go for Arena a lot, but in my opinion a lot of people have to low an average to warrant the 150 gold each time.

What is the best way to expand the card collection? Should I save for Naxx? Or just buy packs?

I started around when you did.  Also just did the Arena once (3 wins) and haven't been back.  I believe you need 6-7 wins to really make your gold back from the Arena, and I don't see myself getting there anytime soon.  So I've been concentrating on Classic packs and just getting as much of that collection as possible to improve my decks.  It's slow going, but consistent in terms of getting a new pack every other day.

I played out quests grinding for Naxxramas and Blackrock. Don't forget to trade in 40 gold quests to try and hit a 60 or 100.

The cards from the adventures, especially Naxxramas, made grinding easier as well.

I think that once the new set comes out, and the a Arena starts awarding packs from all three sets rather than just GvG, the Arena will help more, because the prize packs won't be full of the same Commons.

I never  buy card packs, I always do arena. Despite the amount of wins, you're always going to get a card pack, plus a few other things. Even if you lost every match, you're gaining XP, learning the cards, learning how other people play, plus learning how each card stands on it's own regardless of the deck. I would say always go with Arena over straight buying packs. But that's just me.

• Like 2

I've only been playing for about a month, I have 365 gold right now, and have played Arena 4 times after the first freebie, so technically 5. Never got more than a few wins. But gaining gold from just winning in casual mode, doing the quests, etc. I still have a decent amount of gold after spending 600 in the Arena. If you play a few matches a day, just enough to do the quests and 3 wins on a character, you'll be pretty well off. I wouldn't focus so much on the gold as the most important thing in the game. Good luck!

Thanks for the answer so far. I'm pretty casual in that I mostly don't play more than 1 or max 2 hours each time. I'll try to get 3 wins in play mode every time for the experience mostly (the 10 gold is not worth a lot).

Still in doubt, but I guess I need to have a nice collection of basic cards first and arena gives a GvG pack. Since I probably don't get into the right amount of wins to get enough gold to buy classic packs with it starting with packs could be the preference...

You only need 4 wins in Arena to get a positive return on the gold you pay. With 3 wins you will likely at least break even. In fact, I've more than once come out even with only 2 wins (I won 50 gold in addition to the pack). So keep that in mind when making your decision.

I actually do a mixture of Arena and buying packs. Arena is definitely a better return on your gold if you average more than 3 wins, but it's time consuming to draft a deck and then play it over and over until your third loss. So recently I have been using all of my gold to buy Classic packs, mostly for time reasons and because I'm focusing more on Ranked Play. Additionally, my Arena play gave me a good collection of GvG cards and I decided I would rather grow my Classic card collection.

I may go about this differently when the new expansion comes out though, as when that happens we will be able to get any type of pack from Arena, albeit at random. Definitely keep that in mind, too!

I have also gotten 50 gold back with a card pack on 3 wins. I can see why later on in the game, when you have learned the majority of the cards, how they're used, etc., you wouldn't want to waste time on Arena every time. But where I am still fairly new, only a month in, I benefit greatly from going through the spreadsheets on this site, learning about each card, and how it should be used and then seeing it in action, it is much more valuable to go through the motions.

• Like 1

I am pretty new to Hearthstone. I have bought around 10 classic packs so far and now I'm looking for the best way to expand my card collection. I haven't decided on a character yet.

As far as I see it I have the following options:

- Keep buying classic packs

- Save for and keep running the Arena

- Save for wings of Naxx and Black Rock

I tried the  Arena once with the free pass and got 2 wins. That's probably not enough to keep saving for it. I know people say to go for Arena a lot, but in my opinion a lot of people have to low an average to warrant the 150 gold each time.

What is the best way to expand the card collection? Should I save for Naxx? Or just buy packs?

I've done the arena route when I first started and I can see your concerns. My biggest issue was that I was only getting GvG packs and I wanted classic packs to start. I feel there are more cards that are more viable in classic vs GvG. I've only been playing 3 months or so so don't quote me on that. I built my collection up on grinding the quests out and the 10 coins you get with every 3rd win. I did buy Naxx with money and to be honest I feel it was an investment in this game. The cards you get are very nice in almost any deck and it alone helped my deck builds out at my start. I see where Icy Veins is coming from on the arena but from my personal experience, you can build your collection without it. It takes some time investment but it can pay off. 

If you are looking for more people to practice with and swap tips, ect ,ect. Feel free to add me. Either way, good luck and have fun with the game. And remember, it's just a game. :P 

KingMe#1210

Nice, they change the Arena to give you a chance for expert, GvG or Tournament pack? That would definately make things more interesting. When is the expansion exactly coming?

Could be an idea to save some gold for when the epension comes and than do some Arena runs. 

TGT is probably coming on 24th of August.

The value of arena stays same, if you can make 50 gold, you should play arena. If not, then this update wont help you get any more value than buying packs. Buying packs has now actually more value, since you know which pack you will get. Obtaining random pack is nice only if you dont care which pack you will get.

Edited by positiv2
  • Like 1