FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pandacho

[Legion] Healing changes

Hello, guys!

With the first chunks of data being revealed in Blizzard class blogs, I would like to talk a bit about upcoming changes in healing specs, even that there is still more guessing and extrapolation than actual information available.

REMOVAL OF CONSTRAINTS:

The major common change for most healing classes is the removal of constraints that made our gameplay more complicated without gaining any actual bonus of it. I’m talking about additional powers and stances that certain classes had to deal with while healing.

It reminded me of a person that tries to cross a river walking on a tightrope while juggling. Is it complicated - yes, do you need more skill - yes, does it improve your walk or help to reach the destination faster - no.

The main goal of a healer in PvE environment is to keep the team alive. It’s not an easy task: damage that people take is never exactly the same even in the same boss fight. Healers can’t have a muscle memory rotation - there is a lot of decisions to make during every encounter, sometimes in a split of a second. And while it’s exactly what we love about healing - the complexity - I don’t think that managing additional powers added a lot of quality gameplay. Well, it did at the very start - these abilities were added for a reason - but with years abilities were added on top of other abilities on top of another abilities, making a complete mess in the end.

Now it all gone and we can have a fresh start.

- Holy Priest: Chakra system was removed

- Holy Paladin: Holy Power was removed

- Resto Shaman: a restriction to have only one totem of the same nature school was removed

- MW Monk: Chi power and dps stance in healing spec were removed.

I’m sure that not everyone would be happy with the changes but frankly, there is no logical reason to cast half of healing spells using mana and other half using additional power.

I would find some kind of logic if, for example, mana was used for healing, while Power for shielding or switching a stance changed all the healing spells to AoE. But it wasn’t like this: all the spells were artificially divided between mana, power and stance resources.

We are done with this system now and I think that it was the right decision.

DPS OR NOT DPS:

Another major change that was announced but didn’t get further information in blogs is a new approach to role of healers  in PvE content or, let’s keep it short and say - in raids.

Healers were promised to have a choice now:

Healers should always have something to do. In Legion when you are doing group PvE content you will notice that you can do a lot more damage than you could before when you choose to spend globals and resources on it. When you are overgearing the content, the damage you do in your spare time will go from close to meaningless (now) to being a useful contribution to the raid (in Legion).

Blizzcon: Legion Class and Systems Community Amphitheater Discussion

This is a very serious change: until now healers were the most, well, not useless but problematic part of the raids. No one would question the amount of tanks or dps in fight: bosses need two tanks due to mechanics, you will never drop damage dealers when outgearing the content, but healers? Who needs healers when there is nothing to heal?

It is a right question to ask but always to be the part of “we have too many healers, switch to your off spec” is not that awesome. Gearing two specs, trying to decide what to do with 2-3 extra healers on farm, constant healers rotation or keeping some of them out of their preferred role most of time - all these issues had to be addressed and looks like finally they are!

My guess is that we’ll have three areas of choice in talent trees (I don’t believe in adding dps stance or dps power right after Blizzard got rid of them):

- AoE healing enhancement;

- single target healing / damage mitigation enhancement;

- dps enhancement.

or:

- healing enhancement;

- utility enhancement;

- dps enhancement.

Having this choice, we would be able to keep more or less same amount of healers in raids just changing certain talents to adjust more to healing or dps. No double gearing, no spec switching, no frustration and bitterness trying to snip a bit of healing from each other just to be able to do something.

The general idea is awesome, let’s wait and see what we’ll get.

CLASS CHANGES:

HOLY PRIEST:

The least played healing spec during WoD. Having literally nothing special comparing to other classes, poor Holy Priests were always last in meters and last in lineups - really sad.

Looks like it may be different in Legion. After reading class blogs, for me personally Holy Priest and MW Monk feel the most appealing healing classes right now.

Instant very strong single target heal, instant very strong AoE heal, reducing cooldowns by direct healing, Mastery that leaves a HoT on a target - all this looks like a very decent, flexible and fun gameplay.

DISC PRIEST:

Kings of Healing Meters in WoD. Every raid without a disc priest must be disbanded and punished by two weeks in LFR!

Well, what can I say about incoming changes? Just like always, the OP abilities were nerfed to the ground, the new abilities seems like their only purpose is to complicate the gameplay.

Cooldown on PW: Shield is back (at least it’s written in the spell description), Rapture is back, Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending are gone (no mention in blog).

PW: Radiance same bad as was PoH: healing 5 nearest allies is good when they are injured but as we all know, many times they are not - huge overheal and waste of mana.

Atonement healing affects only previously ‘marked’ by certain spells targets:

Plea, Power Word: Shield, and Shadow Mend also apply Atonement to your target. When you deal spell damage, you instantly heal all targets affected by Atonement for 50% of the damage done.

The healing spells that ‘mark’ targets for Atonement look weak (Plea) or weird (Shadow Mend - the target takes DoT damage from healing).

It is hard to get to any conclusions without seeing new talents and their interaction with saying spells, but right now I am not impressed by the changes and think that there’s still a lot of work to do.

HOLY PALADIN:

Holy Paladin remains the main lifesaver, receiving instant healing ability without cooldown (Light of the Martyr) in addition to Hands. But the price! Everything has its price. ^^

New Mastery (increased healing on allies near the paladin), localized beneficial effects from Auras, AoE healing frontal cone and melee dps spells hint us at the new preferable positioning of Holy Paladin in raids: in melee camp.

Well, why not?

The only question that I have here is how they will be marked for boss abilities in raids: as melee or as ranged? ^^

RESTORATION SHAMAN:

Nothing. Literally nothing.

The only healing affecting change we have is the general removal of one totem of one school restriction.

Our utility will be better with getting a targeting reticle for the totems but well, it’s not really about healing.

A possibility to have both Healing Stream Totem and Healing Tide Totem up in the same time that was mentioned in blog, is not a gain that worth special announcement in my opinion: for now Healing Stream with Rushing Streams heals for roughly 10% of Healing Tide, and hardly 5% without the talent.

More interesting would be a possibility to have both Cloudburst Totem and HST/HTT up without spending a talent. Or Storm Elemental / Spirit Link / Capacitor / Grounding totems in different combinations for 5-man content.

But right now it’s a pure speculation because we may even not have Cloudburst, Storm Elemental or High Tide talents in Legion.

Not much more to say here: looks like we’ll have to wait for more data to be revealed.

MISTWEAVER MONK:

I really and truly like the changes.

I like stances and Chi being removed from MW: there is no reason to juggle three powers when other healers are sufficient with only one for the same kind of spells and amount of healing done.

I like Soothing Mist going passive: it felt forced to click channeling after almost every spell or move.

I like this new Mastery: small additional instant heal on the healed target is much better than frustration from seeing all these Spheres senselessly lying around.

I like reworked Renewing Mist, new AoE spells look fun and flexible: you can spend less mana to heal 3 targets or more mana to heal 6 targets.

The talent example in blog is fun and suites Monk mobile playstyle very well: dash to an ally, and heal them for a large amount (40 yd range, Instant, 2 charges).

Actually I can see it being used also as a position adjustment (to get out of fire, to avoid certain abilities or to move to a specific place very fast).

MW Monk is a class that I really look forward to play now.

RESTORATION DRUID:

Just like Resto Shamans didn’t get any significant changes.

Mastery was redesigned to be more ‘understandable’ and straightforward. Increased by 10% healing for each of HoT effects on the target brings a possibility to some planning.

For example you can keep just one Rejuv on target or, if you need a big healing boost without using a CD, Rejuv, Germination, Lifebloom and Wild Growth HoTs all together.

Other than that - not much to talk about. Let’s wait for the new talents and see how they would affect the gameplay.

That’s all for now.

Feel free to discuss, guys, but don't forget that all above is only my personal opinion (except of quotes) and extrapolations. There is no possibility to know how saying changes will affect the gameplay without checking their combinations with real talents and numbers.

More insights from WarcraftDevs in Legion Class Preview Feedback (Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment):

MW Monks will count as ranged in Legion. No more avoiding of certain boss abilities. It also creates a problem with MW dps during healing downtimes: all MW dps abilities except of Crackling Jade Lightning need melee range. So you can't stay in melee to dps but you have stay in melee to dps. Devs' answer for now: "Use the Lightning". Sounds fun... ><

Soothing Mist going to be uninterruptible (may be interruptible by physical school) channeling spell with no duration. Looks like some kind of a passive HoT. The only usage I can imagine for it right now is just to keep it always on a tank.

There would be a talent that allows to move while channeling Soothing Mist.

Resto Druids: new Mastery dynamically counts all the HoTs on target. No cap planned (meanwhile).

Holy Paladins: Lightbringer Mastery doesn't affect the Beacon transfer but only the direct heal. The Mastery effect will have a minimum radius in which you will always receive 100% benefit.

Holy Paladins wouldn't get any cast on move abilities or talents. With a 10 sec. CD on Holy Shock and Light of the Martyr eating your own health, it makes the gameplay pretty stressful by constant hesitation to finish the cast or to move out of fire.

Healing Priests: Holy Nova is going to be a Holy Priest damaging ability.

Prayer of Healing group restriction is gone! In Legion it will choose allies within a radius instead of being group-based.

Divine Aegis and Illuminated Healing absorbs are pretty much gone (if I understood the Devs right: "The number of absorbs (especially passive ones, such as Divine Aegis and Illuminated Healing) is being heavily reduced.")

Nothing interesting for discs. I'm really worried how they will feel in 5-man challenging content, not having direct heal spells. As an example, when a healer sometimes has to provide 40-50K hps in Challenge Modes or Mythic dungeons, would it mean that a disc will have dps in 70-100K range (Atonement heals for 50% of Damage Done)? Would the damage/healing conversion be enough to keep people alive or Blizz will spend the first year of Legion tuning the numbers?

Resto Shamans: nothing. Enjoy the class, guys angry.png

I'm pretty sad to see Fistweaving/Crane Stance go away tbh.  It was something nice to be able to do during periods of downtime/low incoming damage to build mana (and mana tea), while still outputting a decent amount of healing.  It acted more or less like a half-healer, half-dps player, so if, for example, having 3 healers turns out to be too rough, but 4 healers ends up not having the dps required for certain checks/phases, then bringing in a MW that utilized Crane Stance would be beneficial to the group by offering a good intermediate.  There's also the fact that they can stance dance as needed for large AoE healing with RJW and Revival (which, although it can be used in Crane Stance, is more effective in Serpent Stance).  The Mistweaving changes I actually quite like, and they look to be promising.  I haven't played enough of the other healers to really comment on them, but I feel like they'll be fairly balanced overall.

You can't 'keep' soothing mists on a tank can you?  The way I read it, when ever you use an ability on a target (healing ability) it will automatically cast soothing mist on them, so you cant keep it on a tank unless you just heal them and just sit there / keep healing them.

Yeah, how I read it working is you cast an ability and then after it you continue to channel Soothing Mists on that target until you cast another ability.

You can't 'keep' soothing mists on a tank can you?  The way I read it, when ever you use an ability on a target (healing ability) it will automatically cast soothing mist on them, so you cant keep it on a tank unless you just heal them and just sit there / keep healing them.

Yeah, you can't just keep Soothing Mist on a tank, this is why I wrote 'sort of'.

There are only 3 spells that are triggering Mists:

- Effuse looks like a waste of time (1.5 sec cast that heals for a minor amount HP). The only purpose of it that I can see is a cheap triggering of SM;

- Enveloping Mist is an expensive cast that heals a lot and increases your healing done on a target, so in theory it should be cast on somebody who needs extensive healing (more than one cast);

- Vivify is a kind of 'light' AoE (3 targets, moderate amount of healing) so I'm not sure that we'll want to stop here for channelling

Thinking about a standard fight dynamic, you wouldn't normally 'sit' on an injured target other than tank for more than 3-4 sec: throw a HoT+direct heal or some AoE and move on, so SM wouldn't remain on this target for more than 2-3 ticks that is, I believe, pretty neglectable amount of healing.

So the only constant targets for 'working' Soothing Mist will be tanks who receive most of damage in fight. There would be definitely some other long term injured targets like people with a ticking DoT or soakers but this damage covering would depend on your raid healing setup. Beacons swapping, PW:S+Atonement mark, Lifebloom, Enveloping Mist+Soothing Mist - we just treat these targets like a short term tanks smile.png

How I see the SM usage:

1. Low damage: cast Effuse on a target you want to channel SM

2. Moderate / High single target damage: finish your healing by Enveloping Mist that will channel SM while you are deciding what to do next

3. AoE damage: I don't really see Vivify as a right source for SM - when you are healing AoE damage, you wouldn't stop on a single target to channel some neglectable healing.

New blue post: "Genesis has been removed from Resto druid spells. Instead, Flourish and the new Mastery will help in similar situations."

Sounds a bit weird. The situation where you'd want to use Genesis is when you would like to burst a multiple target healing during very short period of time when a 'real' CDs would be a waste or it's a last resort after spending all the CDs.

Flourish extends the duration of all your HoTs by 10 sec., Mastery makes them stronger. Making your Rejuv to tick 25 sec. instead of 15 sec. for 110% healing (let's say for 90K HP) doesn't look to me same as bursting a Rejuv in 3 sec (let's say for 40K HP), but exactly the opposite.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CaperfinWoW
      About                                                                                                        
      Hi, my name is Caperfin and welcome to my guide! For a long time there's been some negative stigma surrounding shaman tanking in original World of Warcraft, many players don't consider them tanks and not worth a second look. However, this stigma is typically fueled by misinformation or players refusing to go the extra mile to make it work. If you have more shaman tank questions, drop by the Twitch stream to chat.
      Table of Contents
      Introduction Basics Race Profession Shaman Tank Threat Threat Diminishers Totems Talents Rotations Buffs Debuffs Gear + Enchants Comparison Raid Composition Introduction
      Can Shamans tank in original WoW? The short and to the point answer is, yes. You might be rubbing your eyes right now in disbelief of this answer. Perhaps concocting up an entire four page manifesto around how only warriors can and should tank. Although, I could go on a long rant about how there are many other classes that can tank, today, I will be focusing on our totemic friend, the shaman. 
      My intent and statement with this guide is not to upset anyone or downplay different classes but to bring to light a rarely talked about topic of the game. Nothing about what will be detailed in this guide is orthodox, many distinctive elements can be tied to other hybrid classes looking to stray away from the path of normality.   Every possible subject that comes to mind will be dissected to answer any lingering questions you might have. In the likely situation a subject is not addressed or poorly please bring it to my attention. I expect the same amount of scrutiny from readers as I have put into writing this guide, so don't hold back. Before continuing, an important aspect needs to be brought to everyone's attention. For some players this will be old news, but for many others players this will be a much needed revelation. The topic of Viable and Optimal is a highly controversial topic as some people simply don't see the difference or mixed these words up and commonly interject their own misguided philosophy onto it. To put it simply, Optimal is the most efficient and foolproof solution to solve a problem that eliminates as many negative variables as possible and favors a more easy going route. Next, is Viable or commonly referred to as "possible", which is seen as the more challenging path can be bought on the Aubut feels like a greater personal feat.   With all of this in mind, where are shaman tanks placed? Shamans are classified under Viable and with each theorycrafter joining our ranks and contributing their work, perhaps shamans could “feasibly” one day dethrone those braggadocious paladin tanks/bear tanks and reach a theoretical semi-optimal spot. Many shaman tanks will agree their motivation or drive comes from the glory of accomplishing something the the rest of the server population dares not even try. If this sounds like you, I encourage you to continue reading on. To restate my point, you decide to go shaman tank if you want a challenge in an otherwise easy to clear raid. For example, Molten Core can be cleared without any contention. If it wasn't made obvious before, shield bearing is a sizable undertaking. When experienced players pick up a shaman tank and put in the effort, it shines tenfold. Nonetheless, your guild must also be experienced and prepared for a tempestuous task ahead.   You will often see experienced raiders from top guilds play as a restoration shaman in raid and build a tanking set while healing. Eventually, they will transition into shaman tanking due to its extra challenge in an otherwise easy to clear content patch, they usually make the switch after the initial rush to get world first on a boss or raid is claimed and the subsequent following content drought approaches. As I previously stated it is not for the faint of heart, if you are brand spanking new to World Of Warcraft consider leveling up a ranged class, for example: a mage to get an adequate grasp of the PVE raids. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Basics
      Can me put your fears to rest, shamans are fully capable of tanking 5mans, 10mans, off-tanking and even main-tanking a few raid bosses. Of course, as stated before, each form of tanking is heavily reliant on personal and guild experience. An important fact needs to be stated before moving on. A shaman's overall armor will never approach a warrior's armor mitigation. This results in a lower mitigation of physical damage. However, you compensate in other areas and provide some beneficial assets as well better threat output on single targets.On this notion, pending any major weird coding or other factors, shaman tanks can do about the same threat as a protection talented warrior. But there is a drawback, many spells are mana intensive, so be prepared to farm some mana regenerative items before a raid. We share the most similarity with feral druid tanks as we don’t have a major block activating ability and rely on a assortment of stats. The next downside is the nature immunity of certain mobs and its burden on threat but don't worry there are solutions which will be explained in the upcoming sections.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Race
      Races play a big part as we are grasping for any amount of extra efficiency possible. Unfortunately, shamans aren't on the Alliance side, therefore, we are being relegated to spend our fighting days with the Horde. As for race, choose wisely as once the decision is made there is no going back. Some players might want to choose a certain race to assure the clearing of a specific boss or raid.
      Tauren
      Nature Resistance        War Stomp        Endurance         Cultivation
      What does this mean?: Considered the most suited race for surviving long fights and ideally clearing ZG/AQ, which will be the first raids where difficulties will arise. The 5% hp is great and is inherently based on absolute hp, so it will scale with the amount of hp obtained from gear and world buffs. In regards to War Stomp, be cautious you cannot dodge, block, or parry while casting the spell. However, its overall usefulness outweigh this slight inconvenience. The 15 skill increase to Herbalism is also nothing to scoff at while leveling. Troll
      Throwing Specialization Bow Specialization           Beast Slaying           Regeneration           Berserking
      What does this mean?: The race focusing on dealing threat instead of anything else. Generally, threat is not an issue, if you glaringly foresee having threat issfessions. The goal is to gather a large sues, than I unquestionably advocate for troll above all other races. Their "Regeneration" racial is insignificant even with a lot of spirit. Troll will especially deal a lot of threat on "Beast" bosses, ex: Magmadar in MC, Whirlaxis and Gahz'ranka in ZG, etc... Orc
      Axe Specialization             Blood Fury             Hardiness            Command
      What does this mean?: Orc sadly fall short in survival & threat aspects. Akin to the troll, orc's focal point is threat. However, they're seen as a more riskier race option considering the -50% to healing from Blood Fury, which is a negative to non-attentive healers. In all honesty, in our strict testing, they surpass other races for dealing threat on short fights but it made the majority of healers very nervous. On the bright side, they proved more effective in the off-tank position. In conclusion, they plunge too deep into the situational category to be justified. Professions
      While leveling, select Herbalism & Alchemy. Herbalism provides reagents for Alchemy and a source of gold for our eventual endgame professions. The goal is to gather a large supply of gold and a bank full of potions the raid might need, for example the potion, Flask of the titans.   After drop Herbalism and go for the late game profession, Engineering. In order to get a few tools, such as: Gnomish battle chicken, Goblin Sapper Charge among many other beneficial gadgets.   Note: If you'll raid tank, get Enchanting for Smoking Heart of the Mountain and feel free to drop Enchanting after. Finally, for secondary professions, I urge grabbing all of them as they all provide valuable assets. In terms of fishing, you can farm those elusive Stonescale Eels that are highly contested after for Flask of the Titans. First aid grants bandages for healing that don't require any mana to use. Lastly, cooking has Dragonbreath Chili a sheer delight as it not only scales with spell damage but also with the trinket: Arcanite Dragonling and its fire increasing debuff: Flame Buffet. The debuff also scales with Goblin Sapper charge. All these items nicely combine into a decent boost in threat. Also, Dragonbreath Chili does stack with another single food buff.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Shaman Tank Threat
      Because a plethora of questions surrounding aggro/threat are bound to come out of confusion. I'd like to first reference Kenco's words about how gaining aggro on a mob and overall threat functions in World of Warcraft.
      Now, let's examine shaman threat. They're on another tier when it comes to outputting threat, but demand a lot of dedication comparably to the more laxed tanks out there. With proper optimization, their threat is nearly equal to a pure protection warrior and in some situations just shy of a druid tank. Of course, the shorter a fight, the better, since a shaman can freely throw mana around without going out of mana as fast. Resulting in more dependable damage being dished out and correlates into predictable threat. Let's see how to get creatures more mad at you than unusual.
      Earth Shock is first as it deal a high amount of threat because of its 2x damage threat modifier. The downside is nature damage is burdened on three fronts: no warlock curses bolster it, a spell coefficient of 40.71% of the caster's spell damage and some raid content is somewhat resistant to nature. Lastly, downranking our spells is crucial in tanking to be cost-effective. Anything resembling an elemental (noticeable in MC) will have a high resistance to nature damage. All the Dragons of Nightmare are also immune to nature damage or tend to have the same high resistance to nature as to fire. The same applies for some creatures in: AQ, ZG and Naxx. Basically, if an environment has a disease or poison theme, expect nature damage to be hampered. Here's a chart to better explain the notion. Don't fret, items exist to counter this damage dampening downside, ex: Eye of Moam & the debuff from Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker helps with Earth Shock's damage by reducing the target's nature resistance. Frost Shock is used against nature immune targets. Frost Shock or referred as "FS" doesn't consume a debuff slot on a boss impervious to movement impairing effects (most bosses). There are additional ways to circumvent the lack of threat done against nature immune targets, which will be peppered throughout the upcoming topics. Rockbiter Weapon at rank7, is 72 threat per second on hit. With 2.6 speed weapon, each hit is: 2.6 * 72 = ~172 threat. Weapon speed won't matter, but haste does. Haste effects are wanted to counter nature defiant mobs & low percent chance to hit. Once at an auto attack DPS of ~140, Rockbiter isn't optimal, instead use Windfury Weapon. Players use fast daggers because of its higher chance to trigger the effect. Lightning Shield or known as "LS" imposes conditions to be cost effective. Firstly, LS is on the GCD and shouldn't be casted over other spells, such as: Earth Shock so weigh your mana and threat. Secondly, downranking LS is vital to conserve our resources and maintain productivity. Each charge of LS scales with 33% of total spell damage but can't crit. Oil of Immolation might not seem like much but floats around fourth on the list. It will interrupt your swing timer but not trigger a GCD. It's undeniably good before a boss pull or versus many mobs. Can be bought off the Auction House. Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning (depending on number of mobs) will be the first spells dealing threat on the target. Downranking isn't as harsh or compulsory since these spells are only casted upon engaging a boss. Goblin Sapper Charge and similar bombs are great to deal more threat and a definite must against multiple mobs. The majority of bombs are made through Engineering with the exception of the last two in the list below:
         - Goblin Sapper Charge (It shares a 1 minute GCD w/other bombs)
        d threat from teammates is a  - Dark Iron Bomb will require you to stand still and a 1 second cast.
         - Crystal Charge this can be stacked up to 20 & used when moving.
         - Note: Not a bomb but Clutch of Foresight (shares CD with bombs) is an arcane spell, great versus fire resistant mobs. Major Rejuvenation Potion & similar potions are global and .5x of the amount replenished. Health and mana effects will not cause threat if at maximum capacity. Players on coherent battles will use a heal pot after Goblin Sapper Charge to deal a lot of threat. In order of threat, there is:
         - Major Rejuvenation Potion is the highest threat but can be costly.
         - Major Healthstone is next on the list and given to us by a warlock.
         - Major Mana Potion is buyable on AH. (Shares CD with the above)
         - Demonic Rune / Dark Rune (Shares a CD with the below item)
         - Night Dragon's Breath easy to acquire, so place them in the bank. Thorns is the highest damaging reflective effect. Typically, these type of buffs are great against many mobs but still have relevancy in single target scenarios. You can only have one reflective buff on you at a time with the exception: Gift of Arthas (debuff causes threat). The second highest damaging reflective effect is: Fire Shield. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Threat Diminishers
      We’ll be and threat from teammates is a daunting obstacle to tackle. Luckily, there are ways for classes to reduce their threat. Firstly, ranged classes are favored because any aggro they mistakenly get is likely from a 30-40yrd range, so it's easier to supervise. Also classes standing out of the 30-40yrd range will not draw aggro until they exceed the threat level of the mob's current target by 30% as opposed to 10% for melee classes. Here are a few examples of threat reducers or resets, in no particular order:
      Classear, except the weapon & drink mana. Placs:
      Rogue deal with threat thanks to Feint and wipe threat with Vanish. Mage have the talent Frost Channeling and the talent Burning Soul. Druid in cat form can use: Cower & healing druids can get Subtlety. Priest reduce threat with the talent Silent Resolve & the spell: Fade. Shaman who heal can get Healing Grace & use: Tranquil Air Totem. Items:
      Formula: Enchant Cloak - Subtlety: Used by high threat dealers in raids. Limited Invulnerability Potion: Will prevent aggro gain during its effect. Fetish of the Sand Reaver & Eye of Diminution: Available in AQ/Naxx. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Totems
      We’ll be asking our shamanistic brothers from the restoration side to land a hand with totem utility, so be kind and compliment each others advantages in the group. keep in mind, there can only be one type of totem per shaman so having another shaman is welcomed. Also, fire totems can crit & scale with spell damage. Each totem below is in order of importance per category.
      Earth
      Strength of Earth Totem: Put by a 2nd shaman w/Enhancing Totems. Stoneskin Totem: Dropped by us or 2nd shaman w/Guardian Totems. Stoneclaw Totem: For AoE tanking a mob in a pack you don't have aggro. Earthbind Totem: A tool for kiting possible unbound trash in an instance. Tremor Totem: This totem will see some relevancy on a few boss battles. Fire
      Frost Resistance Totem: Ideal for fights with high doses of frost damage. Fire Nova Totem: Usually for bursting down low HP adds on encounters. Searing Totem: Damage totems are costly since they don't grant threat. Magma Totem: Superb for AoE damage on high HP adds in encounters. Flametongue Totem: A weak enchant incomparable to other enchants. Air
      Grace of Air Totem: Optimally, put by a shaman w/Enhancing Totems. Nature Resistance Totem: To counteract nature damage, mainly ZG/AQ. Tranquil Air Totem: All raid party groups should have this, except yours. Grounding Totem: Sadly, this totem will rarely if ever used when tanking. Windwall Totem: Never used. I don't recommend purchasing this totem. Windfury Totem: Our Rockbiter enchant is better. But it may help others. Water
      Mana Spring Totem: Usually, put by a shaman w/Restorative Totems. Healing Stream Totem: Place if the before totem is put by a 2nd shaman. Poison Cleansing Totem: Good against a high poison output, ex: AQ/ZG. Fire Resistance Totem: Ideal versus high amounts of fire damage, ex MC. Disease Cleansing Totem: Unfortunately, it will rarely see the light of day. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Talents
      Naturally, if you're only doing dungeons the road ahead is much easier and there's more freedom to move talent points. However, raid tanking follows strict guidelines to be effective. The last two talent setups assume you're in a serious guild who confidently clear raids.
      "The Basic"- 14/37/0

The new player starter pack in 5mans. Pick if unsure of an upcoming boss fight or are still learning about dungeon shaman tanking. "The AoE" - 23/28/0

For tanking many targets at a time in raids. It mainly uses Chain Lightning alongside Eye of the Storm for threat. Against +3 mobs, see: AoE Tanking. "The Advanced"- 21/30/0

For Raid Tanking. The highest threat setup & for mobs resilient or immune to nature damage. Good gear and a solid knowledge of tanking is needed. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Rotation
      First, on the list is a simple dungeon tank rotation and we’ll be presuming the boss fight is simple.
      Pre-pull: Cast Lightning Shield and assure all possible buffs are present and max duration. Next, place the appropriate totems. Lastly, if it hasn't been done get the addon: KTM Threat, it displays the threat of members. A scenario can turn ugly quick, so watch KTM often. At any moment, you need to be sure of the fitting Earth Shock rank to use. Pulling: Cast Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning and Earth Shock. If all goes smoothly, Earth Shock again and turn the boss away from the group. If the boss suddenly targets someone or drops aggro, use rank7 Earth shock to aggro them. For future threat problems, see: Threat. Second is a complex rotation mainly for raid tanking, it has great results but requires good gear, buff, etc... Naturally, if you aren't able to perform every single action below don't get discouraged, its mostly to showcase the maximum potential possible.
      Pre-pull: Cast Rank7 Lightning Shield. Place Stoneclaw Totem in front of you & back up 25-30yrds. (It will later halt the boss for 0.5 seconds or the boss hits it) Place Mana Spring Totem. Activate Oil of immolation. Pulling: Equip a spell damage weapon, ex: Staff of Dominance and cast Lightning Bolt, while the bolt travels, equip a healing weapon (ex: Will of Arlokk). As the bolt hits, Cast R6 Lesser Healing Wave on a warlock who recently Life Tap. Equip all normal tanking gear. Immediately after cast R7 Earth Shock. Activate Juju Flurry and Juju Escape, if the situation is ideal. Repeat the appropriate rank Earth Shock until boss is dead. Situational: If mana allows it, cast a suitable rank of Lightning Shield. If mana is foreseeably a problem, use Oil of immolation often. If mana is foreseeably an issue but threat isn't also cast R1 Frost Shock. Note: Versus nature immune bosses, to pull: use Magic Candle (equip spell damage weapon). After, follow the healing-threat tactic above & cast Lesser Healing Wave as much as possible until the boss is at melee range than Frost Shock. If more threat is needed: Flame Shock instead. MUST need Flame Buffet (don't bother otherwise) & similar debuffs. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Buffs
      Prioritize obtaining Defensive buffs before acquiring Threat related buffs. Agility for example has the added byproduct of helping with defensive and threat measures. Generally, off-tanks or known as "OT", take less damage, therefore, it's not fully needed to aim for Defensive buffs. Also, some buffs are unobtainable due to certain patch restrictions or unable to stack with others. There is a max of 32 buffs: Talents, Set bonuses & Equip effects don't count. But Gear enchants count with exceptions: (Crusader enchant and enchants from the profession enchanting don't count.) Resistance enchants however need to be reconfirmed as they make it seem now like those should count. Let's move on and explore relevant buffs to our tanking duties. The following buffs are classified into sub-groups to better highlight their usefulness and showcase different options.
      Threat Increasing Buffs
      Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer: Gnomish Shrink Ray: (can backfire increasing group's attack power) Fengus' Ferocity: From Dire Maul. Trueshot Aura: +50 Attack power. Battle Shout: (Improved by Battlegear of Wrath (3/3) tier set bonus) Juju Might: +40 Attack power. (from repeatable Winterspring quest) Sayge's Dark Fortune of Agility: +10% Agility. From Darkmoon Faire. Ground Scorpok Assay: +25 Agility. Elixir of the Mongoose: +25 Agility, +2% Melee Crit. Grace of Air Totem: +77 Agility (effect is increased through a shaman talent) Call of the Raptor: +12 Agility for 30min. (non-repeatable quest reward item) Grilled Squid: +10 Agility for 10min. (does not stack with other food buffs) Strength of Earth Totem: (effect is increased through a shaman talent) Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian: (can't stack w/Moonkin Form) Slip'kik's Savvy: From Dire Maul. Moonkin Form: +3% Spell Crit. Headmaster's Charge: +20 Intellect. Arcane Intellect: +31 Intellect. Gnomish Battle Chicken: Upon attacking it might give party +5% Attack Speed for 4 min. Warchief's Blessing: Fist of Shahram (Blackblade of Shahram) : +25% haste to party for 8sec. Juju Flurry: +3% Attack Speed for 20 sec. (Others can cast it on you) Swift Wind: (Only receivable upon finishing the Call of Air totem quest) Mana Spring Totem: +10 mana every 2 sec. (Only causes threat if you cast) Mageblood Potion: +12 mana per 5 sec. (regen effect doesn't cause threat) Innervate: Increases Mana regen by 400% for 20 sec. Oil of Immolation: 50 Fire dmg to target within 5yds every 3 sec for 15 sec. Lightning Shield: (Scales with spell damage) Static Barrier: From Electromagnetic Gigaflux Reactivator. Crystal Spire: (From a repeatable quest & anyone can cast it on you) Fire Shield: Deals 13 Fire dmg to melee attackers. Thorns: (Improved by Cenarion Raiment (3/3) tier set bonus ) Brilliant Wizard Oil: On a swappable weapon for the pulling of a mob. Blessed Wizard Oil: Ideal for Scholomance, Stratholme & Naxx. Flask of Supreme Power: (Can't stack w/Titans, so choose wisely.) Greater Arcane Elixir: +20 dmg dealt from spells & abilities. Traces of Silithyst: +5% damage to melee, range and spell damage dealt. Power Infusion: The target receives +20% spell damage & healing for 15 sec. Songflower Serenade: Boost melee, ranged, or spell to crit 5%, +15 all stats. Mark of the Chosen: 2% chance when hit of increasing all stats by 25. Spirit of Zandalar: +10% move speed, +15% all stats. Mark of the Wild: +384 armor, +12 all attributes,+27 all resistance. Elixir of Greater Firepower: Bolster fire damage by up to 40 for 30 min. Blessing of Blackfathom: +5 intellect & spirit. +15 frost damage. Elixir of Frost Power: Increases spell frost damage by up to 15 for 30 min. Dragonbreath Chili: (scales with spell damage and fire increasing buffs) Defensive-Buffs
       Sayge's Dark Fortune of Stamina: +10% Stamina (+10% Armor also exists)  Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops: (can't stack w/other food buffs)  Rumsey Rum Black Label: From Booty Bay.  Power Word: Fortitude: +54 Stamina.  Mol'dar's Moxie: +15% Stamina overall.  Spirit of Zanza: +50 Stamina, +50 spirit.  Blood Pact: +42 Stamina.  Flask of the Titans: +1200 Hp.  Elixir of Fortitude: +120 Hp.  Regrowth: From the (6/6) Dreamwalker Raiment tier set bonus.  The Lion Horn of Stormwind: (a friendly tank can activate it for you.)  Greater Stoneshield Potion: +2000 Armor for 2min.  Elixir of Superior Defense: +450 Armor.  Polished Armor: (AWAITING CONFIRMATION OF ITS EXISTENCE)  Crystal Ward: From repeatable quest in Un'Goro Crater. (allies can also cast on you)  Inspiration: Increases armor by 25% for 15 sec.  Power Word: Shield: Absorb 1105 dmg for 30 sec. While active...  Scarab Brooch: (Healers can trigger its effect on you before a fight)  Greater Heal Renew: From the (4/4) Vestments of Faith tier set bonus.  Bloodkelp Elixir of Dodging: +3% dodge for 30 min. (one time usable item)  Juju Escape: +5% Dodge for 10 sec.  Healing Stream Totem: Doesn't cause threat for you.  Greater Heal Renew: From (8/8) Vestments of Transcendence tier set.  Rejuvenation: Heal for 888 over 12 sec.  Regrowth: Heal for 1064 over 21 sec.  Renew: Heal for 970 damage over 15 sec.  Stoneskin Totem: Reduce melee damage taken by 30.  Dampen Magic: Useful for magical heavy fights.  Amplify Magic: Useful for physically heavy fights. Resistance Buffs
       Greater Fire Protection Potion: Absorbs fire damage.  Fire Resistance Totem: +60 fire resistance.  Frozen Rune: Absorbs 1500 to 2500 fire damage.  Juju Ember: +15 fire resistance for 10 min.  Greater Frost Protection Potion: Absorbs frost damage.  Frost Resistance Totem: +60 frost resistance.  Juju Chill: +15 frost resistance for 10 min.  Greater Nature Protection Potion: Absorbs nature damage.  Nature Resistance Totem: +60 nature resistance.  Greater Shadow Protection Potion: Absorbs shadow damage.  Crystal Basilisk Spine: +10 Shadow resistance & Frost for 1 min.  Gift of Arthas: +10 Shadow resistance for 30 min. Mind Control Buffs
      It is possible for an Alliance priest to use  Mind Control or someone with engineering to use the head slot item  Gnomish Mind Control Cap versus players on the Horde. For that duration the mind controlled Horde character is now considered an Alliance player. This allows the character to receive buffs from paladins. In the many guild raids I’ve taken part, we'd have 2-3 players on their paladins and priests stationed near the raid entrance for mind control buffing. It's also possible for a priest of any faction to Mind Control certain mobs, which can dish out buffs to all raid members.
      Greater Blessing of Sanctuary: (Will stack w/Stoneskin Totem) Greater Blessing of Wisdom: (Will stack w/Mana Spring Totem). Greater Blessing of Salvation: (can't stack w/Tranquil Air Totem). Greater Blessing of Might: (can't stack w/Strength of Earth Totem) Greater Blessing of Kings: +10% to all stats for 15 min. Improved Lay on Hands: Possible once it expires to go outside to get re-buffed then re-enter the instance & summoned back to allies. BONUS: You can get Fear Ward from dwarf priests and if survivability is secured Curse of Recklessness from horde warlocks. Mind Control Buffs from mobs
       Fury of Ragnaros: From Twilight Emissary in BRD.  Resist Arcane: From Scarlet Medic in Plaguelands.  Resist Fire: From Scarshield Spellbinder in BWL.  Bloodlust: From Gordok Mage-Lord in DM.  Bloodlust: From Hamhock in Stockades. Special Event Buffs:
      On an ending note for buffs, we can also get buffs from special events. An example, is The Midsummer Fire Festival an event celebrating the hottest season of the year. It lasts about two weeks (mid-late June to early July). The next ones are Love is in the Air, Lunar Festival, Wickerman Festival and Scourge Invasion. The following buffs are separated by their event.
      Thunder Bluff Gift Collection: +30 Intellect for 1 hour. Ironforge Gift Collection: +30 Intellect for 1 hour. Stormwind Gift Collection: +30 Intellect for 1 hour. Undercity Gift Collection: +30 Intellect for 1 hour. Orgrimmar Gift Collection: +30 Agility for 1 hour. Darnassus Gift Collection: +30 Agility for 1 hour. Fire Festival Fortitude: (stacks w/stamina buffs above) Midsummer Sausage: Bolsters damage from spells by up to 23. Fire-toasted Bun: +2% hit chance for 1 hr. Fire Festival Fury: +3% spell and melee crit for 1 hr. Elderberry Pie: +13 defense for 1 hr. Buttermilk Delight: +13 defense for 1 hr. Very Berry Cream: Bolsters damage from spells by up to 23. Dark Desire: +2% hit chance for 1 hr. Celebrate Good Times!: +10% to all stats for 30min. Elune's Blessing: All stats increased by 10% for 1hr. Wickerman Festival (October 18th - November 1st) Invocation of the Wickerman: +25% health & mana regen. +25% stamina. Scourge Invasion Soul Revival: +10% to all damage caused for 30 minutes. Debuffs
      There can be a total of 16 debuffs on a boss. Having as many debuffs on a raid boss is crucial. All debuffs on the list below benefit us in either Threat or Defensive aspects and assumed to be at their maximum rank and talent improvement. The following debuffs are placed into sub-groups to better highlight their utility and showcase different options.
      Curse of Recklessness: - 290 armor but bolsters melee attack power by 45. Expose Armor: (can't stack w/Sunder Armor but it reduce more armor). Sunder Armor: Reduces armor by 450. Can be applied up to 5 times. Annihilator: Reduces an enemy's armor by 200. Stacks up to 3 times. Faerie Fire: Reduces armor by 505 for 40 sec. Improved Shadow Bolt: Curse of Shadow: Reduces Shadow & Arcane resistances by 75... Shadow Weaving: Wail of the Banshee: (affected by spell hit, usually casted by healers.) Insect Swarm: Reduces target's chance to hit by 2%... Thunderfury, Blessed Blade: (can't stack w/Thunder Clap) Thunder Clap: (can't stack w/Thunderfury's slow effect) Improved Scorch: To increase Flame Shock's damage (niche scenario). Flame Buffet: To increase Flame Shock's damage (niche scenario). Curse of the Elements: -75 resistance to Fire & Frost and increase Fire... Winter's Chill: To increase Frost Shock's damage (niche scenario). Stormstrike: Next 2 sources of Nature damage dealt are increased by 20%. Gift of Arthas: If a target strikes you, they have a 30% chance... Nightfall: Spell damage taken by target increased by 15% for 5 sec. Demoralizing Shout: Reduce attack power of mobs by 140 for 30 sec. Curse of Weakness: (effect is increased through a warlock talent) Gear
      If unsure of guild or group performance, carry several focused gear sets: Stamina set, Dodge set & Armor set to cater to any possible encounter. Certain pieces of gear from PvP through Honor Ranking remains the best forever but demands a large amount of Honor grinding.
      Below is a Gear Spreadsheet to help with gear progression.
      - Gear Spreadsheet Link Below are BiS sets by Phase for defensive aspects, see above for threat gear.
      - PreRaid          AoE
      - Phase 1          AoE              Fire resist
      - Phase 2       (no PvP)              AoE
      - Phase 3       (no PvP)
      - Phase 4       (no PvP)           Nature Resist
      - Phase 5       (no PvP)           Nature Resist for Huhuran
      - Phase 6       (no PvP)           Nature Resist Enchants
      Similar to gear, enchants must be tailored against the specific boss you will be facing. Allies can also help us, by enchanting their own cloak with Formula: Enchant Cloak - Subtlety.
      Here is the Enchant Spreadsheet Link. Tank Comparison
      To showcase our max potential a full BiS geared and buffed shaman will be the closest in stats to approach a Druid tank. Let's look at the stats to see the differences. As a guideline, the Example Druid Tank below is BiS/buffed and able to clear most bosses with no issue. A shaman like other tanks tailors his gear versus the boss they're facing. Obviously, the Example Druid Tank can reach higher numbers and has a plethora of defensive spells, but the goal is to showcase the class with the closest similarity to a shaman in stats across the board that gets the job done in high-end raids.

Druids have the luxury of having multiple categories covered and a broader safety net on top of having access to join Alliance for the added advantage of paladins spells, while shaman tanks are required to significantly maximize a specific category for a certain boss.done in high-end raids.
      Now, let's explores the threat generated by other classes to showcase where shaman tanks stand. Remember, threat depends on gear, boss, etc... But in general, the current standing of tanks that can do the most threat are:
      Feral Druid/Warrior. Paladin/Enh Shaman. Dem warlock. Priest tanks AoE Tanking
      Although I slightly talked about it in "Talents". Let me go into more detail here.
      Against 3 targets and/or dungeons, AoE tanking is about Chain Lightning proccing with Eye of the Storm as the main conduit to deal damage and preserve threat on 3 targets. Because it isn't possible to dodge, block, parry while casting, this method is suggested versus mobs dealing little to moderate damage. Against heavy hitting targets it's advisable to grab the weapon Hand of Edward the Odd and wait for its procs to cast. If you don't foresee a random mob being aggroed by someone, cast R1 Frost Shock to save mana and increase the proc chance of Elemental Devastation and Elemental Focus. This is all done while auto attacking a different target after every 4-5 melee hit. Items such as Skull Flame Shield, Force Reactive Disk, Oil of Immolation are beneficial. With a coordinated raid group, it's possible to heal designated players as they "stand in fire" in between boss melee swings. Another way for players to intentionally receive damage is for designated warlocks to use Life Tap alongside items, such as Demonic Rune or Goblin Sapper Charge. Equipping a weapon with bolstering healing attributes such as: Hammer of the Twisting Nether before healing a member wield yield more threat. Raid Composition
      Raid composition differs with each boss but is seen as a skill that evolves over time and reflects the playstyle of a guild or raid. The following composition is an example with minor exceptions differing from the norm. By no means is it perfect since compositions change along side: patches, gear, experience, etc... With the raid leader's permission offer your advice on an ideal comp catering to your needs without overstepping.

In (Group 1): A fellow tank in your party can equip The Lion Horn of Stormwind, granted the trinket slot isn't needed for anything else. A bear can replace a prot warrior in the tank party, if the raid is comfortable enough with the idea and could probarbly use an emergency Innervate or Rebirth Also, only bring the bare minimum of tanks. This will open a spot for either: a lock with Blood Pact, or a hunter with Trueshot Aura. Rogues are favored over fury warrior, they Feint, Sprint, Evasion and Vanish to manage their threat/aggro. Feral cat druids can offer similar utilities as a bear and can Cower and Dash to manage their threat/aggro. Discipline priest with experience and ease of mind may occasionally throw a Power Infusion on a shaman tank during the pull phase. In (Group 6): The shaman is elemental since healing is not an issue and we are relying mostly on Tranquil Air Totem. In the situation, you are taking too much damage this spot can be replaced by a restoration shaman. In (Group 7): A mage could be replaced by a shadow weaving healing priest. In (Group 8): Mages gravitate to Fire Specialization after AQ but keeping a single mage as Frost with the talent Winter's Chill is advisable. A rogue can be replaced by a melee hunter on Nightfall duty. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Thanks for Reading! If you have any questions regarding shaman tanking, feel free to drop by the Twitch stream to chat.
    • By Gnub
      Been playing as 29/11/0 so far, extra crit heals is obviously good for keeping my team alive.

However, I never go OOM, so I want to get some more burst damage. What is the best way to make a hybrid paladin? 
      Holy shock with spell power? I want to do burst damage when my heals get interrupted, so holy shock might be bad.

7 Prot is the bare minimum for me, Imp Freedom is so strong.
      18 Prot is also very strong, extra stuns together with grenades is powerful for BGs.
      25 Prot for reckoning might be the best burst damage available, you could even heal with a 2hander. But this requires alot of investment and SETUP.

How good is SoC for a 1hander? Spell power gear? Maybe using Thrash Blade to do melee damage while healing geared.

What kind of gear? Spell power or strength?
    • By Skaboy
      <Fun is for Casuals> is a serious but casual horde guild on US-Hyjal. We are serious about raiding without the intense hours. Even when recruitment status is none, we will accept exceptional applications for all classes. For a full list of what we're looking for check out https://funisforcasuals.enjin.com . 
      Our raid times are Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00PM to 8:00PM server (PST) with raid invitations sent out a few minutes prior to that.

We're interested in you if you fit the following criteria:
      Raid attendance is essential. We don't want people sitting on the bench but we also want to make sure we're raiding 6 hours per week. We expect you to be available for at least 90% of our raids. Be on time and prepared for raids. This includes flasks and other consumables. Discord is mandatory and a working mic is desired. You're appropriately geared for our current content. Effort and thought have been put into your gear/gem/enchant choices. You wouldn't show up for a job interview looking like a scrub, why would you apply to a guild with improper gems or some insane spec? You're up to date with your class. We expect our raiders to perform to the best of their abilities. You have a computer that's not run with hamster power or requires a hand crank. Some encounters are taxing on a computer's resources so if your toon can't even handle Orgrimmar it's not likely to do well with 20+ whelps that need AOE'ing.
      You may be interested in us because:
      <Fun is for Casuals> uses the personal loot system. There is no loot council, or DKP. We won't eat your babies the first time you stand in something you have no business being in. Repeatedly do it and we'll break out the bibs and BBQ sauce. We provide a limited amount of consumables and flasks on hard mode raid nights. Discord isn't a circus during raids. We're focused on the job at hand and you should be too. We don't want someone to miss a an interrupt because they were distracted by fart jokes. We are not interested in you if you fit the following criteria:
      You roll on BoE items then sell them. Unwilling/unable to spend an entire evening on one boss during progression. While this is rare, it can happen. Drama queens. If you have a problem bring it up to E. This is his job. Don't announce it in guild chat or during a raid. Your issue will have nothing to do with 99% of the guild. You are 17 or younger. We try to keep guild and discord chat PG-13 but occasionally a few four letter words appear out of nowhere. Additionally, we don't want someone's mom interrupting their raiding to get homework or the dishes done. Follow the instructions at https://funisforcasuals.enjin.com/ under the Recruitment tab if you would like to apply.
      If you have any question, feel free to contact E. at DbD#1309
    • By TeeKay1556
      So, this is a raid build I've been kicking around.  It's 31/0/20.  Basically, the important part is getting enough Disc to get Divine Spirit and Power Infusion, and enough Shadow to get Shadow Weaving.  This way, you get powerful tank buffs and dps shadow buffs from one person, who then functions as an off-healer.  This way, the main healers can concentrate on talents that help with actually healing.  You might only put like 14 points into Disc?  This would also take the place of the solitary Shadow Priest slot in the raid (for which, I'm sure, many people take zero).
      https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/embed/priest/505230130105141--50023041005
      Thoughts?  Am I way off?
    • By CaperfinWoW
      About
      Hi, my name is Caperfin and welcome to my guide! When you think of a priest dealing damage in raids, a shadow priest is assumed as the staple and path to follow. However, a lot has changed over the years and the most peculiar way to deal damage has sprung up. It offers an increase in damage in comparison to a shadow priest in the later portions of the game.
      _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Table of Contents
      Introduction Race Profession Buffs Debuffs Mana-gement Gear + Enchants Talents Rotations _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Introduction
      It will come as a shock to many players but a priest affiliating with the Discipline and Holy specialisation will be the avenue that yields the best results for a damage dealing priest. But there are standards and guidelines to follow that this guide will try its best to illustrate to help you on your journey. Before continuing, its important to remember you are not only going a certain route but also playing a class that demands a great deal of effort for players to recognize in a raid. We have the capability to not only provide a decent amount of personal damage but also the capability of supporting other teammates. Although, people will be amazed at the amount of damage you deal, they will chastise you if you fail to aid an ally that translates to the death of a raid party. Speaking of damage the most casted spell in our toolkit will be Smite which is where we get our name: "Smite Priest" a spell that causes Holy damage. The appealing part about Smite is all bosses in World of Warcraft do not have a resistance to Holy damage, therefore, our holy friend can deal damage without any burden.
      _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Race
      Races play a big part as we are grasping for any amount of extra efficiency possible. I suggest Priest on the Alliance faction because they have access to the exclusive Paladin class and their talent ability: Sanctity Aura and Improved Seal of the Crusader and its related spell: Seal of the Crusader. Next, let's see the most beneficial race within the Alliance. We are gifted with three possible races, that each offer different kind of advantages: Human, Dwarf and Night Elf. Although, I don't suggest a Horde race, I will still highlight the best race within the Horde. Lets breakdown each race to see their potential.
      Dwarf
      Gun Specialization: Guns skill increased by 5. Frost Resistance: Frost Resistance increased by 10. Find Treasure: Allows the dwarf to sense nearby treasure, making it appear on the minimap. Desperate Prayer: Instantly heals the caster for 1324 to 1563. Stoneform: While active, grants immunity to Bleed, Poison, and Disease effects. In addition, Armor... Fear Ward: Wards the friendly target against Fear. The next Fear effect used against the target will fail... What does this mean?: Dwarf can be advantageous to get into a guild or raid quickly because of Fear Ward. This translates into getting more gold and gear quicker whether it be healing gear or damage dealing gear, this is a great way to get your foot in the door for you eventual transition into a full time damage dealer later on.

Human
      Diplomacy: Reputation gains increased by 10%. The Human Spirit: Increases spirit by 5%. Mace Specialization: Skill with Maces and Two-Handed Maces increased by 5. Sword Specialization: Skill with Swords and Two-Handed Swords increased by 5. Perception: Dramatically increases stealth detection for 20 seconds. 3 min cooldown. Desperate Prayer: Instantly heals the caster for 1324 to 1563. Feedback: Any successful spell cast against the priest will burn 105 of the attacker's Mana, causing 1 Shadow... What does this mean?: In a raiding environment, Human will out-damage other races but in a unique scenario that will rarely be performed by most people. (addressed in the Talent section)

Troll
      Throwing/Bow Specialization: Skill with Throwing/Bow Weapons increased by 5. Regeneration: Health regeneration rate increased by 10%. 10% of total Health regeneration may continue during combat. Beast Slaying: Damage dealt versus Beasts increased by 5%. Hex of Weakness: Weakens the target enemy, reducing damage caused by 20 and reducing... Berserking: Increases your casting and attack speed by 10% to 25%. At full health the speed increase is 10% with... Shadowguard: When a spell, melee or ranged attack hits the caster, the attacker will be struck for 116 Shadow damage... What does this mean?: Going Troll is the optimal race within the Horde for dealing as much damage as possible on a target, they especially excel on bosses categorized as beasts. If you never plan on raiding and want to remain in 5/10mans, Undead is the way to go.

Other Races
      If you are dead set on going another race or faction. This isn't to say you should be forced to play a certain race, rather that you should be aware of the differences and make the according decision that aligns with your preferences.
      Professions
      During the harsh and lengthy process of leveling, select Herbalism and Alchemy. A valid case can be made for also having a lvl 5 alt stationed permanently in a major city to disenchant unwanted items through mail and store items at a bank for later use. Back to the subject at hand, herbalism contributes convenient reagents for alchemy and a strong source of revenue for our eventual endgame professions. It also prevents players from spending an exorbitant portion of time pestering strangers in Orgrimmar to craft potions. The objective is straightforward, gather a substantial supply of gold and a bank chock-full of fruitful potions the raid might need, such as: Mageblood Potion, Limited Invulnerability Potion, Major Mana Potion, etc... Next, I advise dropping Herbalism once the quantity of gold in one’s bags is overflowing and adopt the late game profession: engineering to scoop up a few useful tools, such as: Goblin Sapper Charge, Field Repair Bot 74A, etc... Finally, for secondary professions, I urge grabbing all of them as they all provide valuable assets. In terms of fishing, you can farm those elusive Stonescale Eels that are highly contested after for Flask of the Titans. First aid grants bandages for healing that don't require any mana to use.
      Buffs
      As you probably know a character can have a theoretical cap of 32 beneficial buffs. The limit may differ from server to server or what is acknowledged as a buff. Also, some buffs are unobtainable due to certain patch restrictions or unable to stack with others. On a side note, I suggest installing NirkBuffRemover/NBR and Buffalo to help with overall buff management and ease of mind. Down below is a table of relevant buffs, separated into sub groups to better highlight their usefulness. Although, there is no strict order, you should still prioritize getting world buffs before obtaining other buffs.
      A few example buffs:
      Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian: +2% spell crit to all party members within 30 yards. (Can't stack with Moonkin Form) Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer: +10% spell crit & +5% melee. +140 Attack power,  Slip'kik's Savvy: +3% Spell Crit. Moonkin Form: +3% Spell Crit.  
      Wisdom of Agamaggan: +10 Intellect for 30 min. Headmaster's Charge: +20 Intellect. Arcane Intellect: +31 Intellect.  
      Warchief's Blessing: +10 mana regen every 5 seconds, +15% Melee Haste, +300 Hp. Mana Spring Totem: +10 mana every 2 sec. Mageblood Potion: +12 mana per 5 sec. Innervate: Increases Mana regen by 400% for 20 sec.  
      Flask of Supreme Power: +150 damage done by magical spells & effects for 2 hr. Only 1 flask can be active at a time. Greater Arcane Elixir: +20 dmg dealt from spells & abilities. Traces of Silithyst: +5% dmg to melee, range and spell damage dealt. Power Infusion: +20% spell damage & healing for 15 sec. Sayge's Dark Fortune of Damage: +10% damage.  
      Songflower Serenade: Increases a melee, ranged, or spell to crit by 5%, +15 all stats. Mark of the Chosen: 2% chance when struck in combat of increasing all stats by 25 for 1 min. Spirit of Zandalar: +10 move speed, +15 all stats. Mark of the Wild: +384 armor, +16 all attributes,+27 all resistance.  
      Blessing of Blackfathom: Increases intellect and spirit by 5 and frost damage done by 15. Alliance Only:
      Sanctity Aura: Increases Holy damage done by party members within 30 yards by 10% _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Mind Control Buffs
      I wouldn't be thorough if I didn't mention the wonderful world of Mind Control buffing. It is possible for an alliance priest to use their basic shadow spell: Mind Control or someone with the engineering to create and use the head slot item Gnomish Mind Control Cap against players of the opposing faction. For that duration the mind controlled Horde character is now considered an Alliance player. This allows the character to receive buffs from paladins. In the many guild raids I’ve taken part, we'd have 2-3 players log onto to their lvl 60 pallies and level 60 priests and stationed themselves near the raid entrance or zone for mind control buffing. Before undertaking this endeavor, be sure that the server allows for the Mind Control possibility and find out its exact limits. Tip: Try and get Fear Ward from a dwarf priest and if survivability is not and issue get Curse of Recklessness from a horde warlock as well.
      Greater Blessing of Wisdom: +45 mana per 5 seconds. Note: Icon vanishes if Mana Totem casted but effect remains. Greater Blessing of Kings: +10% to all stats for 15 min.  The fun doesn't stop there. It is also possible for a priest of any faction to Mind Control certain mobs which can be controlled to dish out beneficial buffs to all raid members. In order, to fully utilize the duration of these buffs, its advised to have warlock be ready for immediate summoning.
      Fury of Ragnaros: From Twilight Emissary in BRD, he increases the magical damage dealt by an ally by 25 for 30 min. Resist Arcane: From Scarlet Medic in Plaguelands, increases Arcane resistance by 78 for 1 hr.  Resist Fire: Scarshield Spellbinder in BWL, he increases an ally's Fire resistance by 81 for 1 hr.  Dark Whispers: Increases the Shadow damage dealt by an ally by 35 for 10 min from Vile Tutor in the Eastern Plague Lands. Special Event Buffs
      On an ending note for buffs, we can also get buffs from special events/holidays. An example, is The Midsummer Fire Festival a seasonal event that celebrates the hottest season of the year. It starts on the (earthly) northern summer solstice, and lasts about two weeks (mid-late June to early July, usually). The next ones are Love is in the Air, Lunar Festival, Wickerman Festival and Scourge Invasion that all feature some useful buffs for tanking. It is possible for the Love is in the Air Capital Gift Collection buffs to be stacked with each other, ask around to find out its exact limits. The following buffs are separated by their event.
      Stormwind Gift Collection: Increases Intellect by 30 for 1 hour. Undercity Gift Collection: Increases Intellect by 30 for 1 hour.   Thunder Bluff Gift Collection: Increases Stamina by 30 for 1 hour.   
      Midsummer Sausage: Increases damage done from spells by up to 23 for 1 hr.  Bonfire's Blessing: 30% chance to deal 60 Fire dmg on any melee, ranged, or spell attack. (works outside only) Fire Festival Fury: Increases critical strike percent and spell critical strike percent by 3% for 1 hr.  
      Celebrate Good Times!: +10% to all stats for 30min.  
      Elune's Blessing: All stats increased by 10% for 1hr.  
      Invocation of the Wickerman: Increase health & mana regeneration by 25% and Stamina by 25%.  
      Soul Revival: Increases all damage caused by 10% for 30 minutes.
      In conclusion, let's compile all of the buffs we have seen.
      Here is a screenshot of the best buffs, we can get for our means: https://i.ibb.co/nkLqvMH/plplp.png
      Here is a screenshot of realistic buffs, we can get for our means: https://i.ibb.co/1QsZL7P/io.png
      Debuffs
      Having as many debuffs on the boss as possible is of paramount importance to dealing damage. Therefore, our interests are heavily tied to the release of patch 1.7, due to its extra 8 debuff slots introduction totaling to 16 debuffs. All debuffs on the list below benefit us in damage and are assumed to be at their maximum rank/talent improvement.
      Imp. Shadow Bolt (Warlock): Shadow Bolt critical strikes bolster Shadow damage dealt to target by 20% until 4 non... Curse of Shadow: Reduce Shadow & Arcane resistance by 75 & increasing Shadow & Arcane damage taken by 10%.  Shadow Weaving (Priest): Shadow damage spells have a 100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Shadow damage. This vulnerability increases the Shadow damage dealt to your target by 3% and lasts 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.   
      Gift of Arthas: If an enemy strikes the imbiber, the attacker has a 30% chance of being inflicted with disease that increases dmg taken by 8 for 3 min. Lasts 30 min.   
      Nightfall: Spell damage taken by target increased by 15% for 5 sec.   
      Seal of the Crusader: Judge an enemy for 10 sec, increasing Holy damage taken by up to 140. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Mana-gement
      When Smite Priests are talked about, they are often associated with going out of mana quickly. However, this is an outdated notion involving a lack of information or commitment from players to rectify. This isn't to say they never run out of mana, but rather that it is greatly exaggerated. Of course, the shorter a boss fight the better. Below is a list of mana regenerative items, you should look to acquire.
      In order of granted mana:
      Major Mana Potion grants a good chunk of mana and drops throughout the world quite often. Major Rejuvenation Potion quite expansive but also grants health.  Demonic Rune converts health into mana. Lily Root is created from a neck item and saves on time, money, etc… (the single root will disappear after 1hr.) Night Dragon's Breath takes care of mana & health. Very easy to acquire so get a large amount and place them in the bank.  As you familiarise yourself with a fight and the limits of your raiding partners, it will come intuitively what is the best to use. Its worth mentioning some items don't share a cooldown, thus can follow each other in quick succession. 
      Here are the two different cooldown categories:

My personal recommendation is to have a diverse pool of the items featured in this section to cater to any situation that might arise. Not only are there items that can help with mana but also Buffs that we previously looked at. If you are looking to maximise mana regeneration also consider equipping an MP5 gear set in between mob pulls, check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-17Sp62eI to learn more. You can also take it a step higher and equip Circle of Flame.
      Gear
      Unfortunately, the gear we desire is also desired by other casters. Therefore, I suggest acquiring this type of gear while assuming the role of a healing priest in the raid. However, I will still provide a comprehensive gear list for all phases. The interesting part about gearing is that 4 pieces of our BIS gear can be acquired within Phase 2 of Classic World of Warcraft. Down below is a url to a spreadsheet with a plethora of options for proper gearing.
      Gear Spreadsheet
      Enchants similar to gear need to be tailored for our purposes.
      Enchant Spreadsheet
      Talents
      For the sake of generality and simplicity these talents setups assume a server between patch 1.9 - 1.12 and taking part in a serious guild who are confidently clearing raids.

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#bqMhsVVVoctt0db The typical talent setup for a Smite Priest. If were looking to do the most damage possible it is technically possible to withdraw a point from Power Infusion and place it in Spiritual Guidance which deals more damage but would require other priests to cast Power Infusion on you (this is unrealistic but possible) for the duration of the boss fights. In this RARE situation being a Human yields more damage because of their bonus in Spirit.

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#bqMhsVVVoctt00bZh The improved version of the talent setup displayed above that helps further with mana but requires some coordination and may not be for everyone. The following actions are purely a showcase of the highest dps possible. Basically, before the boss is pulled, Hearthstone to a major city sign yourself up for a Battleground, find an enemy player to kill and trigger Spirit Tap immediately ask for a summon near the raid entrance, enter the instance, get summoned once again to the raid's location and immediately have the boss pulled.
      Rotations
      The following rotation will assume a simple tank-spank raid boss with very minimal movement allowing our holy friend to freely cause havoc unhindered. The following rotation is split into several sections to better highlight the course of action. Naturally, if you are unable to accomplish certain aspects of the rotation, simply weed out what you can.
      Pre-pull: Equip Hand of Edward the Odd and attack an Unconscious Dig Rat, until the weapon's "chance on hit" triggers. If you are unaware of the rat item, refer to the Dig rat video and Doomguard video on how to take advantage of these weird items. The moment the effect is triggered the tank should be pulling the boss. Pulling: Optimally, we would want to cast Shadow Word: Pain but it will depend on the Raid Leader decision. Activate Limited Invulnerability Potion, cast Smite constantly until Curse of Shadow and other similar debuffs are on the boss. The moment all debuffs are on the boss, activate your spell damage trinket, cast Inner Focus, cast Power Infusion on yourself and cast Mind Blast each time its off cooldown. (BUT if Seal of the Crusader is on the boss cast non-stop Smite instead.) Continue through the boss fight by casting Smite and Mind Blast when it's off cooldown. Situational: Try and keep Inner Focus for low mana situations, if mana is not an issue and Seal of the Crusader is not active save it for a MB. If moving is required in a boss fight, use Goblin Sapper Charge while moving & Crystal Charge once again if moving is needed later on. Also, if mana permits it cast Power Word: Shield or Renew on teammates who will foreseeably take damage. In a similar vein, If you mismanage your mana, use Goblin Sapper Charge/Crystal Charge and Magic Candle and start wanding the target. I also suggest to keep on you Faintly Glowing Skull which scales with spell damage, shadow related buff, debuffs, potions, etc... if you are aiming to make other people in your raid jealous. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Thanks for reading!
      I hope you enjoyed exploring one of my favorite classes in World of Warcraft. If you are left with some lingering questions after having read the guide, feel free to swing over to the Discord and I would be more than happy to answer them. I will be continuously updating this guide as we learn more about Classic WoW.