Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killamf

Can Someone Help me Pour Through This Data? Prot warrior help please

2 posts in this topic

Hello Icy VeinsPosted Image

I recently came back to the game after long break and started playing a warrior as my main after close to 5 years as a ranged dps caster for beta through the start of cata. I love playing my Prot Warrior however I know I am not maximizing my potential.

I am the off-tank in all our runs so I was hoping someone with intricate knowledge of our class could help me data mine and help me determine where I need to improve my dps and my tanking in general. I am still shaky as to when is the best time to use Shield Block and Shield Barrier.

Any and all help is appreciated. I just came back to the game and am raiding at a pretty high level for my knowledge of the class and want to continue raiding.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gy032uqxhsbq5wos/ I am killastank.

I could make this post extremely long but I'll try to shorten it.

Dont overuse heroic strike like you do, use the rage on SB/Sbar instead because it's way more efficient. As far as I've experienced prot warriors do NOT do a lot of dps. They just dont. I'm playing prot warrior as my main with 497 ilvl and still I dont pull out more than 50-55k on a single target fight whilst most other classes have no problem at all to reach 65-70k such as the dk in your logs. The warriors big strength is to reduce spikiness through blocking. Wich in other words means stack mastery and get spamming that shield block. On magical fights you ofc want to shield barrier instead but there's very few fights were this is necessary.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geex
      Hey everyone, new here.
      I just got done with Normal Nighthold with my guild and my DPS.. well sucks. Can anyone look at my logs and see what's up? Maybe a few pointers?
      Thank you!
      Armory:  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Geex/simple
      WL: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/15631063/11/#
    • By Emphesis
      Hi,
      I need some help figuring out my rogues weak auras.
      I currently have this: https://gyazo.com/e9f6967a7c2e56fdb4a88f9c554ebd22
      What I want to happen is that when there are 3 seconds remaining on for ex rupture, the icon of rupture glows and once rupture is gone the icon just stays there glowing.
      Secondly, could someone give me the ID for the envenom buff as I cannot seem to track it whatever I do. Hopefully in the same format as the others in the picture above.
      Can anyone help me with this by guiding me on how to do it or giving me the string on the new one?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Supryia
      Hey all. 
      I've been beating my head against the wall in regards to my DPS. 
      Profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Supryia/simple
      Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/1085767/latest#metric=bossdps&bracket=14
      I'm very ashamed actually. In the past I have pulled *What I thought was very good numbers* only to see that my DPS is in constant decline. I understand most people are going Frost, but I have invested so much time into Unholy, to switch now would only increase my agitation. I'm no longer a clicker, that's a plus! 
      I have my two piece currently. Currently on Heroic content and I'm needing some advice. Rotation is pretty common with what's suggested. We have a few DK's in our raid group, most of them Frost with another Unholy, who COMPLETELY blows me out of the water. Maybe it's because I'm stuck with Eye Of Command and on multi-add boss fights, it's useless. Help me fellow DK's. I would SO appreciate it. 

• By Elliya
      Hey guys,
      I am writing for DPS help. I am currently doing crap DPS pretty regularly. I was the top DPS in casual raids for a very long time with 870-880 gear. Around New Years, I was playing while very inebriated. I equipped a bunch of the wrong gear and sold the stuff I took off. I went through the Blizzard gear recovery to get back the pieces I vendored but they were rerolled (upgraded items that were vendored at 875 came back as the base level). I have since upgraded most of the pieces and increased my item level by 11. My DPS is worse now than it was almost 20 ILs lower.
      Issues:
      DPS - lower than it was when my gear and IL was much worse.
      Astral Power generation - I feel like I am generating Astral Power far slower than the other balance druid in raid.
      Rotation:
      I follow the recommended rotations, precasting Solar Wrath when able. Otherwise its Moonfire, Sunfire, New Moon, Half Moon, Full Moon, Starsurge.
      Gear:
      Besides what is equipped, I have Whispers in the Dark 880, Oakheart's Gnarled Root 885. I have 3 of the set pieces (Robe of the Astral Warden 880, Cloak of the Astral Warden 875, Hood of the Astral Warden 875) but they are all significantly lower in IL than my current gear. I have four legendaries, the two I am wearing,  Ekowraith, Creator of Worlds and Promise of Elune, the Moon Goddess.
      Armory:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Zul'jin/Elliya/simple
      Logs:
      I used to out DPS the other balance druid in guid, Netcat. Now he destroys me.
      Spellblade Raid Personal
      Krosus Raid Personal
      Star Augur Raid Personal

• By Maxillary
      I’m in the process of rerolling a tank. My question is: How do I know if I’m doing a good job?

I currently play a hunter and as a DPS the metrics that I use to judge my performance are fairly simple. If I’m consistently sitting in the top X percentile of DPS for my spec and gear; and sitting in at least the bottom half of the raid for damage taken, I can be relatively sure that I’m doing good DPS and doing the mechanics well too.

However, as a tank this falls apart. Damage taken and even damage mitigated are poor metrics because I need to know if I’m taking and avoiding/mitigating the right damage. For example, I may mitigate 95% of the total damage in a fight, but if the 5% that I don’t mitigate is the 5% that is vital to avoid then I have done a poor job. Damage taken is bad because I may only be sitting at the top of damage taken because I didn’t switch when I needed to, therefore taking unnecessary damage.

Staying alive is a poor metric too, just because I’ve stayed alive doesn’t mean that I’ve done a good job. What if I’m only alive because a healer needed to make the choice to keep me alive while I was taking excess damage and sacrifice one or more DPS in the process.

Keeping threat and tank switching etc at the right time is bad as well because there is more to tanking than just mechanics.

I’ve done some reading and apparently there is or was a ranking system for tanks in wowlogs. But after a long look I can’t find it and all the posts relating to this were over 12 months old, so I assume it’s been removed.

I’ve also spoken to our MT about this and his response was ‘I don’t know’. As someone who wants to preform at the highest level possible, I find it unacceptable to not be able to judge how I’m preforming relative to my past self (am I improving?) and other people in a similar position.

So, how do I judge if I’m doing a good job tanking and what areas need to be improved?