FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alarmclock

I Could use some help with my DPS

Spec:Unholy

Question: I feel like I should be doing ALOT more DPS for the gear that I have but I can't seem to go higher than 50k. I have the opener burst down mostly but keeping the damage up seems to be trouble. I've played using defile, breath, and necroblight but find that breath is usually where I do more DPS. Any tips on how to pump out better numbers? When I have breath I usually try to take advantage of using AMS to absorb magic damage for extra runic power but It doesn't seem to be helping to much.

EDIT: gonna try DW frost. I don't think I have the gear for unholy

Edited by Alarmclock

So, I enjoy digging through logs to see what I could do better, and since you posted yours I figured I'd see what I could do to help you out. I didn't look through all of your logs but I dug into your Iron Reaver fight a bit since it is a simple one to pull apart. I noticed a few things that should help bring your DPS up if/when you decide to come back to playing Unholy.

1) You wasted a rune to plague strike after getting into melee range instead of using outbreak on the way in. Its not a big DPS lose but its a simple thing to fix as well.

2) You are running Breath of Sindragosa for the fight but you spent runic power to cast a death coil at 6.6 seconds into the fight. You need to save all of your runic power until after your first Breath of Sindragosa is finished to maximize its uptime.

3) You got procs of Sudden Doom at 7.8, 15.4 and 22.9 seconds (3 separate procs) but didn't use any of them until after a 4th proc (at 24.7 seconds) came up. They don't stack, you need to make sure you use them.

4) You reached a full 12 stacks of Blood Charge at 19.5 seconds into the fight but you didn't use your first Blood Tap until 33.3 seconds into the fight. If you are having trouble properly managing your blood tap, switch to runic corruption instead.

5) Ring was used (not by you, but if you aren't using it then you have to line your rotation up with whoever is using it to maximize your dps) at 2 seconds into the fight, but you didn't start your Breath of Sindragosa until 10.5 seconds in and only got 13 ticks of Breath despite having a heroism active. You want to try to start Breath as soon as the ring is used and to keep Breath going for the full 15 second duration of the ring, at a minimum. If you aren't able to do that, consider staying with Necrotic Plague or Defile instead.

Overall your gear isn't bad, but you will want to pick up your 4 set bonus as soon as you are able. On top of that I strongly suggest putting in the effort to get yourself a Convulsive Shadows trinket from Iron Maidens in BRF. Even the heroic version (685 iLVL) of the trinket will be better than either of the trinkets you are currently using.

All around you aren't doing badly, Unholy is a challenging spec to master and you have the concept well in hand, you just need to polish up your rotation a bit.

I hope this helps you out and good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anemic
      Since 7.3.5 I have gotten some decent gear and have been using  SimCraft to see what the average difference in the two talents. I simmed them with the Mangaza's Madness belt combined with.  Sephuz and Soul of the High Priest, and with and without 4pc t21 (because some of the gear that breaks tier is 15+ ilvl better).  So far with my 4pc, sephuz, and FotM it simmed *55k higher than Twist of Fate and any combination. I assume the sim procs Sephuz every 30 sec, which is kind of unrealistic, but I was shocked the dps was so much lower using ToF and FotM. 

Any thoughts on the two talents? Does anyone use FotM?  I have started using it and generally average 1.5m dps without BL and north of 2m with. 

Here is my armory link, not sure why it shows my haste much lower than it is in game. In game w/o buffs its 43% ~15,500 or so
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/magtheridon/anemic 
      *(edit: originally put 500 it wasnt 500k, checked my Sim logs and I was mistaken with my lock sim.  Priest sim was 55k better, sort of negligible but worth debating the talents maybe)  
    • By Terkan
      Hey, so I could really use some help with this, I'm lost trying to understand the logs and I feel like there's a lot of stuff I could improve on. Any tips or pointers at all would be really appreciated. I hope this log is of a usable kind: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kLr8fqPD9HcyTxJF

(Mine is Qraul, the only DH in the group.)
      And really, if anyone would be kind enough to bother, I could really use a "teach a man to fish" scenario here, if you'll pardon the analogy. I've been meaning to learn to interpret and improve from logs but it has seemed like a kind of daunting thing to deal with.
    • By Omikami
      Hey guys,
      I'm new here in the Icy Veins forums and would like to request your assistance.
      So this is my Mage https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/14478881 haven't been playing Legion for a long time (around 2 weeks and a half), been trying to start rading so I would like to improve my DPS, I'm running GS.
      What I would like to ask you guys is if you could check me out and see what I could improve, it's been hard to get some more gear now since it's hard to get into groups, plus my pawn addon seems like its kind of bugged which is kind of confusing me about gear/stats. I know my stat priority for GS Build but nor sure about stat weigths for it.
      Hope you guys can help me, thank you in advance !
    • By selinfireheart
      So, I've been rather disheartened by my current DPS as a sub rogue in tomb. I feel that I have the burst windows down with the rec'd talents, my opener is usually solid unless affected by mechanics, not to mention ilvl, but I'm hitting nowhere near the burst damage of other sub rogues that not only are my ilvl but over 10 or 15 lower - even without the t20 two piece. And not just burst, but overall damage output, I'm nowhere up to par making the numbers that other sub rogues are. 
      The only thing that I have noticed when using the compare feature on warcraft logs is : every person parsing above ~850k has the convergence of fates trinket, and the denial of the half giants wrist leggie. (Mantle is also typically what they have too, but I've seen others with the leggies I have of insignia of ravenholdt or valeera legs.)
      Is sub's dps right now really that dependent on the uptime of shadow blades as to why we are parsing as top spec for tomb since the class changes? I understand how powerful it is, but the fact of the matter is that RNG has not decided to bestow upon me either the trinket or legendary, so any fight longer than two minutes or so my dps and damage is down the drain. Should I be rolling with different talents to compensate for my lack of these things to get better results? I've played around with not using death from above and it wasn't a gain, as did AMR tell me that it wouldn't be, as well as running sims with my current gear and other talent combos amr always tells me I won't get the best results.
       Or I have wondered, I see people saying about not backstabbing too much. Is it truly a dps gain to just stand there autoattacking? The combo points generated automatically are slow to come when they do, and I fear pooling for that long just autoattacking will result in a damage loss? 
      Here is a link to my logs page. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/cenarion-circle/adassos# I have seen an increase with my gain of ilvl, but it's poor and I'm still in the lowest percentiles for spec and ilvl. Any advice or if it truly is based on those rng items would be helpful, thanks. 
    • By Saskov
      Hi guys, I'm new here in Icy Forums but always checked the site for information, you guys do an awesome job. I'm dpsing in Legion as a Ret Pally and I'm having a little issues with dps constancy. I can easily do a burst of 300k in one target fight, but when I look overall my dps is always near 190k. I will put some info to see if you guys could help me to see what I'm doing wrong.
      My armory Armory - Saskov (Gallywix)
        The rotation I usually do is: (burst) Crusade, Greater Judgment,       if AoE:  Wake of Ashes - Divine Storm - Crusader Strike - Divine Storm - Blade of Justice - 

Divine Storm - Crusader Strike
      Single Target: Blade of Justice - Crusader Strike - Templar's Verdict or Justicar's Vengeance when low life Wake of Ashes to fill Blade of Justice cd
      A log of my guild 7/7N EN https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/68NG1QXkH2Zpg4jb/#type=damage-done&source=11 Really don't know what I can do to improve it, I had a complete revamp of stats (I was advised to focus Haste till 22% > Crit = Vers > Mastery)
      I thank you guys since now.