FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Andefico

Mastery or Haste for Arcane Mages?

Hello again icy Veins!

I noticed that the forums are getting more and more active so I thought I'd ask this: What do you guys think about disregarding haste and stacking mastery instead of first reaching the soft haste cap as an arcane mage?

Hoping to see a lot of interesting replies

• Sad 1

Mastery has always been our weakest stat as mages. No matter what spec we play.

I suppose going mastery>haste could work but I feel it would be like that Masterfrost spec for DKs and it just wouldn't be too ideal.

If you're speaking PvE wise I assume mastery is bad... PvP on the other hand... ,)

yeah, i'm speaking strictly from a PVE point of view. I'm a window licker when it comes to PVP so I have no clue...

Now that I'm finally done with adding new features on the forums, I can reply to you.

Many people will tell you to stack Mastery Rating. There are two reasons for this: 1) it increases the damage you do when you are at full mana, and 2) if you stack Haste Rating, it makes you spend your mana faster, and you find yourself not benefiting from your Mastery.

I have a different opinion. Point for point, Haste Rating is a better stat than Mastery Rating (in my experiments, this remains true between 65% and 100% mana). It does not really matter if Haste Rating makes you spend your mana faster, you just need to adjust the number of stacks of spell_arcane_blast.jpgArcane Blast that you are keeping. Also, people often forget that Arcane Mages do most of their damage during burn phases, so having more mana means that you will fit more spell_arcane_blast.jpgArcane Blast while spell_nature_lightning.jpgArcane Power is active.

So, in our guides, we advise people to stack Haste Rating.

At some point, Haste Rating becomes less valuable than Mastery Rating. This is hard to determine, as it depends on several factors. The idea is that when you start casting spell_arcane_blast.jpgArcane Blast in less than 1 second under the effect of spell_nature_bloodlust.jpgBloodlust/ability_shaman_heroism.jpgHeroism, then some Haste Rating is wasted. At the same time, you need to keep in mind that even though you wasted a bit of Haste Rating during spell_nature_bloodlust.jpgBloodlust/ability_shaman_heroism.jpgHeroism, you will still benefit from it during the rest of the fight. The more Haste Rating you have past this point, the more it gets wasted during spell_nature_bloodlust.jpgBloodlust/ability_shaman_heroism.jpgHeroism, until you reach a point where Mastery Rating becomes more valuable.

Since this specific point is hard to determine, we simply advise people to stack Haste Rating until they cast spell_arcane_blast.jpgArcane Blast in 1 second exactly under the effect of spell_nature_bloodlust.jpgBloodlust/ability_shaman_heroism.jpgHeroism and then we advise them to go for Mastery Rating.

• Like 3

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tomseno
      Raid/Class Spots Are Open To Any Applicant If The Player Is The Right Fit
      A guild formed with an ambition for progression and a love for M+ we decided to make the move from Silvermoon Alliance and form a guild to take our focus to the next level, Cutting Edge in 10.1 being the next step.
      We believe in building a guild by recruit players of a similar goal and mentality whether it be for raiding or for push score in Mythic plus. We value loyalty, honesty and a positive attitude towards setbacks. Communication skills are an absolute must.
      Raid Schedule
      Wednesday 20:30-23:00 Sunday 20:30-23:00
      Current Progression
      9/9HC 5/9M
      What are we looking for recruitment wise?
      We're currently open to recruiting DPS classes listed above, as we aim to solidify a stable 25-player roster. We're looking to provide competition to existing members and choose the best 25 players to proceed with for next tier.
      Contact Information:
      Discord; tomsen and lora1506
      Think you'd be a good fit?
      If you believe that you are a player that is looking to achieve the same goals as us then why not contact us and see if we can achieve our goals together!
    • By Aerlon
      Hello everyone,
      Last patch gave us 40% and 10% damage increase on ray of frost and glacial spike
      Does anyone know of these changes make them relevant ?
      Should frost mage play with these or one of these now ?
    • By aNamelessHenchman
      Hi Everyone,

Returning to D3 after an absence.
      Trying to figure out the best desired stat rolls for items as per the guides, have always struggled with this.
      Am deciding to play DH Shadow Impale build this season 25. For example:

The Compass Rose
      1. Socket
      2. Critical Hit Chance
      3. Critical Hit Damage
      4. Area Damage or Attack Speed
      So am I looking for a ring rolled with all these stats? Because most of the time it will roll with Dexterity. So wouldn't it be unlikely that I would find such a ring? 
      If I had one with say Dex,CHD,socket and Attack speed    -     should I reroll Dex into CHC? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Ancients? (as the ancient would have possible higher Dex but not higher CHC)
      What if CHD was really low and Dex was really high? What if overall damage goes down because I re-roll Dex?
      I'm confused. Just trying to figure out how to decide between 2 items.
      EG: I have 2 Convention of Elements
      Priorities are:
      1. Socket
      2. Critical Hit Chance
      3. Critical Hit Damage
      4. Area Damage or Attack Speed
      Ring A (Ancient):                Ring B (non-Ancient):
      +618 Dexterity                     +473 Dexterity
      CHD : + 46% (rolled)            + 49% (rolled)
      CHC: + 4.5%                           +5.0%
      Socket                                     Socket
      The game shows no difference in damage but minus in toughness and recovery on Ring B (must be secondary stats)

Which Ring is better? (should I choose?)
      Thanks for any explanation of this. Especially @Deadset

• By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Mozaki OTK Mage guide.
    • By Reicha7
      So the stat priority page of the guide ranks haste much higher than strength but the consumables guide recommends the feast for strength even though the haste food offers more haste which should make it the better choice surely?
      Hoping someone more aware of the theorycrafting to clear that up for me.

This mainly applies for raiding by the way but if there is a different answer for M+ I am interested to know the answer there.