FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Demonology Tips and Quirks

On my character ToC hits for 35k, SB hits for 40k unbuffed.

Touch of Chaos and Shadowbolt are calculated at almost the same damage. However, you're missing a huge detail.

Touch of Chaos = instant

Shadowbolt = 2.2-2.5 sec cast

Aside from that, Touch of Chaos refreshes Corruption and is better modified via Dark Soul than Shadowbolt.

Does touch of chaos really refresh the "power" of corruption also?Because affdots doesnt show any change on Corrutpion power after casting ToC.

Does touch of chaos really refresh the "power" of corruption also?Because affdots doesnt show any change on Corrutpion power after casting ToC.

It sure does. It will buff or nerf it depending on your current stats. Generally if you're spamming ToC you'll see Affdots showing Corruption at a constant 100.

Why is Imp Swarm a DPS loss? Where are the number?

I seem to do better with the glyph... its lined up with meta and CDs.

Not sure about now, but you can test it out in simcraft with your own gear. Run one sim with the glyph and one without. For my gear it was a substantial loss to use imp swarm. Should still be that way after the nerfs, but thats just a guess.

Why is Imp Swarm a DPS loss? Where are the number?

I seem to do better with the glyph... its lined up with meta and CDs.

If you like the glyph, use it. I'm not telling you how to play. I am saying it is a theoretical loss for sustained. It does NOT line up perfectly with CDs because its CD is reduced by Haste meaning it will be available but not used if you link them to CDs.

I've noticed some things on various logs and it's starting to make a lot of sense for me. Right now, there are tons of gimmicks in these fights that increase your damage (puddles on Jin, Horridon's debuff, nutrient buff on Ji'Kun, etc) that pets don't benefit from. I overheard some Hunters talking about going Survival because BM pets dont benefit, and I realized hey...that's essentially us, too. I noticed that on some fights with these gimmicks, some Demonology Warlocks are taking Grimoire of Sacrifice and it makes perfect sense. I've been switching specs and considered going Affliction just so I don't have to deal with pets despawning and switching targets, etc. I think, tonight, I'm going to retool and reenchant/gem my Warlock for full Haste/Mastery and take Grimoire of Sacrifice on any fight with a bullcrap pet lacking mechanic. For example...

Jin'rokh: (especially on heroic) the puddles play an intriciate part of your DPS...with Demonology not benefiting nearly as much via your pet, sacrificing him to gain a 30% buff on Soulfire, Shadowbolt, and Touch of Chaos will prove to be quite useful.

Horridon: lots of adds, Felguard/Wrathguard would still be better.

Council: lots of switching/Felguard travel time. Granted he has a charge...this fight may be a wash in determining which talent to take. For the sand adds, Felguard would be preferred.

Tortos: lots of adds, keep the Felguard.

Megaera: single target with Doom on other targets...should be Service/Sup > Sac slightly

Ji'kun: sacrifice. Not sure if it's still bugged, but each time I flew up, my Felguard despawned requiring me to re-summon him. I did this 3 times and still have the 10th best parse in 25 man normal.

Lots of other things to consider...instant target switching, your own Intercept/Charge (not sure if useful or not), and some other things, but what I'm most curious about is stacking Mastery and sacrificing your demon to get an additional 30% damage modifier on your biggest single target spells. I'm going to model some Simcraft looks this way, but I think it'll have a more accurate look in modeling.

Plus, the green/purple Metamorphosis form looks epic as hell now!

EDIT: I have early sims (Patchwerk style) showing Sacrifice at 134k and Service at 138k. 4k loss on a perfect simulated single target fight means Sacrifice will trump Service and Supremacy on any 'gimmick' fight but fall behind on any fight where AoE is helpful.

I removed the values and put the table since too many people put too much value in Haste thresholds. Use at your own discretion.

I'm currently leveling my lock through pandaland....got to say that I'm loving the feel of demonology. I hope it is competitive at higher gear levels, because I'd hate to drop this spec. Great guide too- thanks muchly.

Anyhoo...I did have a question regarding point 4 of the guide. Doom is mentioned twice in the the opening sequence. Is that intentional? If so, could someone explain to me why it should be cast twice? (excerpt from guide below).

Cheers,

Nick

4) Demonology opener and Charge management

Demonology's opener should be like this:

Curse of Elements -> Dark Soul -> Corruption -> Hand of Guldan -> Grimoire of Service: Felguard -> Hand of Guldan -> Metamorphosis -> Doom -> Doom -> Touch of Chaos spam until you run out of Demonic Fury then go into normal rotation.

Sifon is spot on.

I will revisit these guides and modify them for certain trinkets. I need to run personal tests after I acquire the trinkets to find out some possible situations and the best action. I know that the opening should change to this if you have Unerring:

Pre-cast Shadow Bolt -> Curse of Elements -> Dark Soul -> Corruption *check to see if Perfect Aim procs*

If Perfect Aim procs, IMMEDIATELY go into Meta, cast two Dooms and one Touch of Chaos then leave Meta form, use Hand of Guldan, Shadow Bolt/Soulfire x2, Hand of Guldan (Meta while flying down), cast 1 Soulfire (do NOT Touch of Chaos), and leave Meta to build up Demonic Fury for next burst phase.

Reason is Perfect Aim locks in your Doom to be guaranteed crits...casting twice gives you 90 seconds of that. The Touch of Chaos after the two Dooms will extend Corruption 6 seconds and empower Corruption to be all crits as well. This makes your opener VERY powerful. After that, just always react to Perfect Aim with Doom. On LFR Council, I was at 225k DPS just keeping Doom and Corruption up. Timing Perfect Aim to keep 90 seconds of all crit Dooms on all the bosses generated so many Imps that my Metamorphosis uptime was 74%.

Reason is Perfect Aim locks in your Doom to be guaranteed crits...casting twice gives you 90 seconds of that. The Touch of Chaos after the two Dooms will extend Corruption 6 seconds and empower Corruption to be all crits as well. This makes your opener VERY powerful. After that, just always react to Perfect Aim with Doom. On LFR Council, I was at 225k DPS just keeping Doom and Corruption up. Timing Perfect Aim to keep 90 seconds of all crit Dooms on all the bosses generated so many Imps that my Metamorphosis uptime was 74%.

How often is Perfect Aim proccing for you? In that 4 second window you're able to react fast enough to refresh 4 bosses? Or do you make sure you've got at least 45'ish seconds on Doom for each boss so that when the trinket procs you'll take full advantage of Pandemic?

I'm pretty good at reacting to it...I have a Weak Aura with a sound notification, so even if I'm caught up, my instant reflex is to Meta + 3x Doom. The last one usually is pretty close, but it's definitely worth it. What I do is apply Crit-Doom with the first proc to my first target for the max 90 seconds. Then I'll apply regular Doom to the rest. HOPEFULLY I get a proc within the next minute to use a Pandemic refresh on the other targets. You won't be able to maintain 100% Doom crit on all 4 targets, but the goal should be to get as much Crit-Doom uptime as possible.

• Like 1

Can I get that WA string from you if you don't mind? Hopefully I'll see the trinket in a month or 2. =)

I have it bookmarked at home. I'll post it tonight for you. I think I found a post on MMO-Champ...it's a Method Warlock's WA strings. I only use the Unerring one, but I'll just link the page to his stuff so you can pick what you like...or you can search it.

I never find it annoying to have a 100% crit chance to my spells! :D

Zagam, can you make a sticky or an edit to this topic's first boss about how to/how not to play with UVoLS? Especially with opener because I just got this trinket and I really would love some help to be honest. I think there will be more and more people on my position with time.

Zagam, can you make a sticky or an edit to this topic's first boss about how to/how not to play with UVoLS? Especially with opener because I just got this trinket and I really would love some help to be honest. I think there will be more and more people on my position with time.

I mean... all you need to know is that when it procs you refresh Doom and ToC Corruption to as high duration as possible before it wears off (in a single target scenario). For multi-target apply Doom to as many mobs as possible. Everything else is the same. Don't ToC Corruption until the buffed one is almost done.

http://www.worldoflo...0&e=4044#Gahhda

I can honestly say that I was horribly rusty at demonology when I did that parse, and half awake. I let corruption drop about 5 times in that fight I think heh.

Everlasting affliction, grimoire of sacrifice, unerring vision. Every proc is 3, 2 minute, 100% crit chance dooms. 42% of my damage done was wild imps.

Unerring is pretty broken single target, adding more targets just makes it lulzy.

Edited by gahddo

I mean... all you need to know is that when it procs you refresh Doom and ToC Corruption to as high duration as possible before it wears off (in a single target scenario). For multi-target apply Doom to as many mobs as possible. Everything else is the same. Don't ToC Corruption until the buffed one is almost done.

Yes I know about that but the thing makes me confused is the opener mostly.

Yes I know about that but the thing makes me confused is the opener mostly.

Are you an Imp Swarm user or no? If yes, you have more breathing room for extra DF to use on Doom if the trinket procs a little later. If not, you'll need to be more conservative. Otherwise it all plays the same.

Are you an Imp Swarm user or no? If yes, you have more breathing room for extra DF to use on Doom if the trinket procs a little later. If not, you'll need to be more conservative. Otherwise it all plays the same.

Also depends on time between pulls. If you take a 5 minute break, when you come back the next hit has a bazillion percent chance to proc the trinket. If you got a mass res and pulled again in 30 seconds, you'll be more subject to that RNG that we all love to hate.