Pandariah

Forum Interaction

Sign in to follow this  

7 posts in this topic

So... Why do you guys think people are so snippy and rude in forums?

I've found that here at Icy-Veins, it's much less a regular thing. Blizzard's official forums? Oh boy. Hang onto your knickers, girls!

It confuses me. We're all here to share in enjoying this game, or Hell, any topic online, really. Why can't we have friendly debates? Why is someone else instantly wrong and should just, "delete your account bro?" I just don't get it. I love being social, and especially debating viewpoints, but... People are insufferable and make it so much less enjoyable.

Weigh in - what do you think causes these behaviors?

The internet causes said behavior. People are safe in the confines of their home and they can literally tell anybody anything because all they see is a computer screen and not a person.

While that's absolutely true - it doesn't explain the why, the reason they act like... Well... Idiots. It makes me sad, because I rather enjoy a good debate, or sharing within a community. I made the mistake of posting on the Blizzard forums... Oi. I regretted it within hours. Needless to say, I deleted my posts, because they weren't even given the light of day, at least in any constructive manner.

They act all big and bad online, but what's funny, is I know these people. They're socially awkward when there's no keyboard, no monitor protecting them. I guarantee my personality would crush them, not hatefully or literally being mean, but they wouldn't know what to do with my comfort level. I, for one, make extensive eye contact. I feel it's respectful to devote your attention to someone, and shows confidence when properly connecting with an individual. If I were to do so with the typical forum poster, they would probably whine about how I'm a homo and to quit gawking at them.

I personally believe it's a defense mechanism that they use. They're so unhappy with who they are that they must attack others. But what really makes me laugh, is I personally am quite the opposite of these people. I love social interaction, and have always been, and been considered a social butterfly. I deal well with large groups, love working with others. To me, it's the highlight of modern day society. Especially in this day and age! Communication is at its easiest. And yet, the most people can come up with is calling each other derogatory terms for homosexuals and questioning another's sexuality. It's rather pathetic, to be honest.

• Like 1

I don't really have an answer as to why the official forums are as they are. I know that every place where we interact with people on the internet (mostly Facebook and Youtube), we spend a lot of time moderating comments and user-submitted contributions, so that things remain civil.

On our forums, we also try to keep things civil, and it works because our community is relatively small. I have no doubt that as these forums will grow, it will get harder and harder to keep them the way they are today :P

• Like 2

I think Damien hit the nail on the head. Icy Veins is still fairly small, and by in large its easy to manage. The more people you have though the more likely you are to have idiots!

Hopefully we can keep the idiots down to a minimum and just generate stimulating discussions between the people who post here. Its nice to know that there is somewhere that you can post as a total "noob" and not be trolled because of it. People here genuinely want to help other players out there!

Shame there arent more players like that ingame as well!

• Like 1

I agree 100%! It's a blessing to be here, because indeed, you can ask "stupid" questions, and actually get an answer. I'm very grateful for all the hard work you guys put into Icy-Veins, Damien. Also, you're from France? I wanna go to Paris. ;-; Took four years of French, and on the fourth year, my school wouldn't let us travel abroad... Like every fourth year class before us. Super jelly!

Also... Yay ADD! >:D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Narii625

VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: Tomb of Sargeras [1/9M 9/9H], Nighthold [3/10M]
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (915+)
      ALL DPS! ABOUT US
      We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. 
      We're always on Discord and we joke around a lot, some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. 
      Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required!)
      Fun Guild events happen monthly!

Battle.net ID: Narii#1891, Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Guild Recruitment Officer
      www.bootypirates.guildlaunch.com
    • By Gigs
      Blooded is an established  social Mythic guild, with a friendly and dedicated team.
      Blooded has been raiding as a team since the early history of the guild, we focus on progression but make sure we also have room for good fun and friendly bantering. Though the team over the years has seen some changes, it has a good and solid core of players that provides a solid foundation to build on. 
      Everyone in the guild is equally respected, regardless of rank. No one is more important and we don't like drama. Bad attitude in /g or /ra is not tolerated. 
      Bad jokes is however a completely different matter.
      Our current progression is 4/9 ToS Mythic, before that we did 7/7 M EN, 2/3 M ToV, and 7/10 M NH.
      We are now looking for like minded players, willing to progress at a good pace with our team.
      Requirements for ToS:
      You need to have some ToS experience, but no need for Mythic experience.  Your gear needs to match your experience (min ilvl 925) Your gear has all the best gems/enchants. You're available for 75% of all raids. You feel ready and have the patience to deal with progression. You keep on top of news about your class/spec, and upcoming fights. Spots are open for:
      1 solid melee DPS (Rogue/warrior/DH/Ret) 1 Solid Ranged DPS (Warlock/Frost mage/SP) Other classes/specs are still considered if the requirements are fulfilled. (No Tanks/Healers)
      Raid times are:
      Thursday: 20:00 - 23:00 Sunday: 20:00 - 23:00 Tuesday: 20:00 - 23:00 Alt run on Wednesdays. We currently don't do Heroic on the official raid days. Trial information:
      We run a trial for 6 raids We use personal loot, unwanted/unneeded loot is gathered and distributed using RClootcouncil. Invites start at 19:45 Bring plenty food, pots, flasks, runes and be repaired. We use Teamspeak during raids.   If you're looking for a friendly guild with good raid focus, this may be the place for you. As long as you also have time for memes.
      If you're interested add me for a chat.
      Gigs#2131

Have a Bloody great WoW day !! 

• By Nobbykinz
      Autumn Mist is a Mythic raiding guild/
      http://www.autumn-mist.net

We are looking for dedicated mythic raiders.
      We are a very active guild with events on most days:

Wed: TOS Mythic/Heroic
      Thurs: TOS Mythic
      Fri: Mythic + night/Chill  
      Sat: Chill
      Sun: TOS Mythic  
      Mon: Alt Runs  
      Tues: Transmog Tuesday

All starting at 8pm Server time other then the whole day events unless stated in the calender.
      Feel free to apply via the website, or add me on bnet if you want a chat, Nobbykinz#2994 all questions welcome.
    • By pizzawarlock
      <In Cats We Trust> is a casual leveling guild that is recruiting new players of all levels to join us for ridiculous shenanigans and good times. Our raid team is also looking for new recruits! We raid Saturdays and Sundays 9:30 EST. Looking for heals and dps. We are friendly, helpful and love having a good time. Our members dabble in a bit of everything and are friendly to all types of players. Join us today!
      Contact mochi#1626
    • By AburaGamer
      Hey all!
      Let's start off with this: We do not do interviews, long forms to fill in etc, you just join and have fun!
      As many others, we also have a Discord for HotS, OW, WoW, SC, Diablo, MineCraft, and we are always looking for more friendly players; Male, Female, Gay, Straight, as long as you are friendly you are more then welcome to join. Just to add, we are all adults ranging from 20 - 40 and we act that way.. Well most of the times.. wait.. sometimes.
      On a nightly basis we usually have about 20-30 active people and at times even more. We got together from a big gaming community that dissolved into thin air and most of us have been friends for over a year.
      We are looking for friendly people, we don't want people who think they are all that and then some. Currently our ban list is at 0 and we hope to keep it that way.
      Feel free to drop by on the Mischievous server: https://discord.gg/saBnVsM
      One last thing, we are only focused on EU players, you can join if you are in the US, but expect little to no people to play with, sorry.
      Regards,
      Abura - Old OpenRaid Mod and Chief in Charge of the Blizzard Everyday Facebook page.