FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Windwalker Monk Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Windwalker Monks attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:
  • spell_monk_ringofpeace.jpgRing of Peace can be very useful against the adds, even more so if you have another Windwalker Monk in your raid, with whom you can alternate using Ring of Peace and monk_ability_fistoffury.jpgFists of Fury to stun the adds.
  • If you get high stacks of debuffs and the healers can't dispel you then you can use spell_monk_diffusemagic.jpgDiffuse Magic to dispell it or ability_monk_touchofkarma.jpgTouch of Karma to do some more damage.
  • On the second and third gates you can help the healers with spell_holy_dispelmagic.jpgDetox.

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Council of Elders

Tips and Tricks:

• If the single-target DPS in your raid is high enough, and the bosses lose their empowered buff before they reach 100% energy, you can use spell_sandstorm.jpgStorm, Earth, and Fire on 2 of the bosses (Malak and Priestess while you attack Sul for example) to increase your overall damage.
  • While Sul is empowered, put your spell_sandstorm.jpgStorm, Earth, and Fire on 2 bosses and go for maximum aoe dps to kill the adds as fast as possible.
Links:

Tortos

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:Links:

Megaera

Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful talents:

Tips and Tricks:

• Though the void zones created by Feed Young provide stacking debuffs when you stand in them, only one application of Slimed is applied when the initial debuff expires. Diffuse Magic can be used to soak up stacked puddles to safely clear the platform with minimal Slimed stacks. However, as Diffuse Magic does not last long enough to protect against the damage over time component, other abilities or healing should be used to survive the increased damage after multiple Slimed stacks have been accumulated. For WW, Touch of Karma is on a short CD that allows it to be chained right after Diffuse Magic, allowing for continued puddle clears with little danger and extra DPS against the boss.

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Changelog

• 13 June 2013: Added tips to Ji'kun from Bryte
  • 22 Mar. 2013: Added Spyker's tips for Jin'rokh and Horridon, and Krusbar's tips for Horridon and Tortos.
  • 14 Mar. 2013: Added Facemelterr's tips on Council of Elders.

Ill post useful tips as i do the bosses. For council of elders, i like to use storm earth and fire to spread my dps around 3 of them, so as to keep them at about the same hp, malak, priestess and focus fire yourself on sul. Only switch an image to kaz when he is possessed. This should note a sizable increase in dps. IF for some reason you dont kill sul before his possess put ur images on 2 of them and whirl for maximum aoe dps.

• Like 1

Ill post useful tips as i do the bosses. For council of elders, i like to use storm earth and fire to spread my dps around 3 of them, so as to keep them at about the same hp, malak, priestess and focus fire yourself on sul. Only switch an image to kaz when he is possessed. This should note a sizable increase in dps. IF for some reason you dont kill sul before his possess put ur images on 2 of them and whirl for maximum aoe dps.

Thank you very much, I added your tips to the guide.

I have a few things that i normally do:

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

On Lightning Storm using Zen Meditation will help reducing damage, and timing your Zen Sphere to detonate when the Lightning Storm ends helps (for what it is worth).

On Horridon:

I got the talent Ring of Peace, because in our raid comp, we have 2 WW monks, and by alternating between RoP and Fist of Fury on the adds for stun, you can negate a portion of the damage they do.

• Like 1

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

On Lightning Storm using Zen Meditation will help reducing damage, and timing your Zen Sphere to detonate when the Lightning Storm ends helps (for what it is worth).

On Horridon:

I got the talent Ring of Peace, because in our raid comp, we have 2 WW monks, and by alternating between RoP and Fist of Fury on the adds for stun, you can negate a portion of the damage they do.

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

Better to use Touch of Karma to do some dmg and the next storm do the Diffuse Magic.

only use Zen Meditation if the healers have problem topping every one up.

Horridon:

If you get high stacks of debuffs and the healers can't prio you then you can use Diffuse Magic to dispell it and Touch of Karma to do some more dmg. On the second and third gate you can help the healers with Detox.

• Like 1

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

On Horridon:

Tortos

You can use Touch of Karma on the first stomp and use Diffuse Magic after the second stomp to take less nature dmg from the falling rocks. If you need you can always use Zen Meditation with Glyph of Zen Meditation

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

Better to use Touch of Karma to do some dmg and the next storm do the Diffuse Magic.

only use Zen Meditation if the healers have problem topping every one up.

Horridon:

If you get high stacks of debuffs and the healers can't prio you then you can use Diffuse Magic to dispell it and Touch of Karma to do some more dmg. On the second and third gate you can help the healers with Detox.

Thank you guys! I added your comments to the opening post.

Tortos, i found Leg Sweep and Rushing Jade Wind, are the best to deal with the bat adds, when you tank brings the bats to the melees, pop TeB Tigereye Brew use RJW, and SCK Spinning Crane Kick, that will boost your damage, and is available at every pack of bats, and try to always have aroun 8 or 10 stacks of TeB, in between those SCK, using Leg Sweep, is amazing and your tank and healers will love you, also available at every pack.

Megaera

Glyph of Zen-meditation, and using Zen-meditation on rampages consumes the stacks so, it's 5 hits your raid won't take.

Edited by Spyker
  • Like 1

Jin'rokh the Breaker

You can take Chi Torpedo as 6-tier talent and use it on Lightning Storm to help healers with AoE healing.

Edited by karatekrzys

Megarea

Using Touch of Karma during the mini-enrage while your raid is stacked up. This will prevent all damage done to you for the duration/health limit of your ToK.

Zen Meditation can be used to mitigate some damage during the Mini-enrage and should be used as-per raid leaders discretion.

Tortos, i found Leg Sweep and Rushing Jade Wind, are the best to deal with the bat adds, when you tank brings the bats to the melees, pop TeB Tigereye Brew use RJW, and SCK Spinning Crane Kick, that will boost your damage, and is available at every pack of bats, and try to always have aroun 8 or 10 stacks of TeB, in between those SCK, using Leg Sweep, is amazing and your tank and healers will love you, also available at every pack.

Megaera

Glyph of Zen-meditation, and using Zen-meditation on rampages consumes the stacks so, it's 5 hits your raid won't take.

I agree with your comment for Tortos. I would also use Storm, Earth, and Fire then use Rushing Jade Wind, proceed with Spinning Crane Kick and add Rising Sun Kick on cooldown.

So here are a few tips I've used so far

Jin'Rokh: Using Touch of Karma with glyph can help you stay in the pools a bit longer, because the pools don't immediately become electrified, which gives you an extra few seconds.

Horridon: Leg sweep is your friend in this encounter. Don't be afraid to Touch of Death and adds that are low on health, as it helps out greatly. Your stuns + your interrupt means that you can take one of the Gurubashi priests alone as long as they're tanked, and stop them from getting any casts of. If one of their casts does go off you can use detox, as it is a poison. Don't Touch of Karma when you have Hex of confusion on you, it seems like a good idea at first, but the damage bounces between you two, and when it dies, you take a lot of damage from the Hex of Confusion'd Touch of Karma damage. Roll helps out a lot when you get charged, because you can get out of the raid faster, then just Flying Serpent Kick back in, for more damage.

Council: Storm, Earth and Fire is nice, but if your group doesn't need more cleave, don't take it, and focus more on the single target. If you get stuck in a sandtrap, you can Touch of Karma someone, and use Nimble Brew to get out of the snare. You can use your interrupt to interrupt Sul the Sandcrawlers Sand spell, which you should do every time it is up. For the Loa Spirits, you can stun them with Leg Sweep/Black Ox Statue and then cast Disable twice to get the snare off on them. If your raid Happens to reach the Dark Empowerment phase, you can use Zen Meditation to take some of the damage off the raid so your group can nuke them faster. Don't Touch of Karma Kazra'jin during his Empowerment, due to the same thing happening when you Touch of Karma with Hex of Confusion on you. This is another fight where roll is your friend.

Tortos: Spinning Crane Kick does crazy damage to the bats, if you can use TEB beforehand so you can get that crazy damage bonus off and kill the bats quickly. Use Touch of Karma, Zen Meditation, and Diffuse Magic so that you can remove most of the damage of Quake Stomp. If the tank taking bats happens to die, you can stun them for 6ish seconds using Leg Sweep/Fists of Fury while the raid gets the tank up and heals him. For lulz, you can survive through Furious Stone breath through Diffuse Magic/Zen Meditation/Touch of Karma.

Megaera: Touch of Karma/Diffuse Magic/Zen Meditation can be used during Enrage to help healers. Touch of Karma and roll should help if you get Cinders.

Ji Kun: As fun as it is, WW monks aren't very good at the cleave damage that is required to kill the hatchlings/eggs on time. It is much more effective to focus on the boss for the duration of the fight, assuming your raid group has one team going and doing all the eggs. You can soak up some of the stuff on the floor, using Zen Meditation/Touch of Karma/Diffuse Magic. You can also use those spells to reduce damage taken by quills.

Will update more as I clear more.

Edited by Archon

Ji-Kun

Helpful Talent: Diffuse Magic

Tips and Tricks:

Though the void zones created by Feed Young provide stacking debuffs when you stand in them, only one application of Slimed is applied when the initial debuff expires. Diffuse Magic can be used to soak up stacked puddles to safely clear the platform with minimal Slimed stacks. However, as Diffuse Magic does not last long enough to protect against the damage over time component, other abilities or healing should be used to survive the increased damage after multiple Slimed stacks have been accumulated. For WW, Touch of Karma is on a short CD that allows it to be chained right after Diffuse Magic, allowing for continued puddle clears with little danger and extra DPS against the boss.

Finally being 12/12 Normal as of yesterday, I thought I'd share some of my tips

General Tip - Tigers Lust in a mouseover macro can help in a number of situations where party members need the speed (e.g Downdraft)

Horridon - Storm, Earth, Fire can be used to gain some uptime on the boss when dealing with the adds. On the gates with interuptable adds, don't forget Spear Hand Strike in addition to FoF

Megaera - You can use Zen Meditation macro'd with Touch of Karma to help in one of the Rampages. Bear in mind it won't last an entire rampage. Diffuse Magic can help reduce damage during Rampage

Durumu - Diffuse Magic in the maze phase can help if you tend to overstep the boundaries.

Dark Animus - On Pre-Animus trash, use FoF on cooldown to help keep the adds stunned. Leg sweep also works.

Lei Shen - Zen Meditation can help soak damage from Static Shock, especially if it comes at the same time as Bouncing Bolts

Just adding help for the windwalker spec for Dark Animus

On adds you need to interrupt abilities and stun them, rotate this with other classes in your raid

When the boss is up leave your cool downs for INTERRUPTING JOLT where i suggest a rotation of Touch of Karma, and defuse magic, although you can use Zen Meditation if both are on cooldown as you will take 90% less damage

Keep to the right or left arm of the boss so when you see your tank with Anima ring on you can roll or flying kick though to release him/her

Thanks

Úp of Darkmoon Faire