FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Frent

What am i doing wrong?

I recently finished leveling my warlock and have began to raid in Normal HFC and some Heroic HFC. And I've spent a considerable about of time trying to figure out why im only pulling in the 25kdps-38kdps on various bosses in HFC. While i see other Warlocks of my ilvl (701-703) pull upwards of 40-50k easily during almost every fight. 

I know its not optimal a single log output but its all i had on hand and i'm just super frustrated and looking for some advice. (from Korm on normal HFC)

I follow the Icy-veins destro guide for single target rotation.

That being,

1 Immolate on at all times refresh about 3 seconds

2 Conflagration if i have 2 charges. (been trying just using both charges at once not seen a big difference)

then incinerate until 2.5 Burning Embers, then Chaos bolting.

(also during boss fight using doomgaurd and such.)

rinse and repeat.

Here is my wow armory for a visual of my currently equipped gear.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Frent/simple

I guess other then if i'm doing something majorly wrong, a few specific questions,

1. what lvl of mastery/multistrike/crit should i aim for potentially?

2. How to most effectively use havoc in fights like Archie?

3. If i run GoSac, does it matter what pet i Sacrifice? ( i know depending on which you sac you gain a ability i've been picking felgaurd for the extra interrupt just in case its needed at some point. Does this effect dps?)

4. When is the most effective time to use dark soul?

5. The standard cool down seems simple but i generally feel sometimes i'm doing it wrong. am i? 

Those were some general question but overall any help with my dps would be extremely helpful. 

thanks ahead of time 

F

*Also if there is any other information i can try and provide to help with the analysis please let me know and ill do my best.

Chartdps.png

Edited by Frent

A. Welcome to the forums

B. Go to warcraftlogs.com, download client, follow instructions to get logs of your raids. Without this information there isn't a lot we can do to help you.

You don't have the 4pc, that hurts you.

Your trinkets are kind of major suck, that hurts you. Get a DSI ASAP.

You seem to have weirdly itemized gear, that looks like a buttload of haste.

Now for your questions:

1. what lvl of mastery/multistrike/crit should i aim for potentially?

There is no magic number. Mastery>Crit>Multi, as much as you can get. There are no break points or anything, just get more.

2. How to most effectively use havoc in fights like Archie?

Use it on CD, best to use it on targets that need to be killed/are your job to kill. For anything under mythic it will almost always be used on just anything, mythic might require some planing depending on your strat.

If possible use your havoc on something high HP and SB a low HP target 3 times, otherwise just use it with CB.

3. If i run GoSac, does it matter what pet i Sacrifice? ( i know depending on which you sac you gain a ability i've been picking felgaurd for the extra interrupt just in case its needed at some point. Does this effect dps?)

Pets, for GoSac or anything else, are so close in DPS that it will not matter what you use. Ever. Just use the pet you need for the utility it gives you. For GoSac that normally means the VW for the HP cooldown, you might use the Felhunter if you need an interrupt. The other pets don't really give you anything worth taking.

4. When is the most effective time to use dark soul?

In general stack it with other CDs/trinkets if you can, but it should never be held for more than 5-10 seconds. Outside of that general rule use it on something that needs to die fast or if you know something is about to spawn that needs to die fast, save it for that - but again don't save it for more than 10ish seconds. Any longer and it is a major dps loss.

5. The standard cool down seems simple but i generally feel sometimes i'm doing it wrong. am i? 

We can't answer that right now. Get logs of your fights, then we can answer what it is you are doing wrong.

• Like 1

Okay so i downloaded the client but looked and my guild actually post the logs thankfully so here is the link!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/R9vdaX1wrnbT6GN4#type=damage-done&source=6

*Also an additional question,

1. Since my haste is much too high should i look to just get rid of as much as possible even if that means taking something like Versatility?

Also also thank you for you're patience and assistance you really don't know how much i appreciate it in just many many ways i appreciate it.

Edited by Frent

I'll look at the logs when I can, but to give you a quick answer to your question: No. Haste is not really bad for you, no stat is bad for you and haste is slightly better than vert. It is just a gearing problem, can't really fix that until you just get better gear.

Bottom line, even though your ilvl is on par with a warlocks you see - your gear is still way behind. Bad itemization, meh trinkets, no legendary ring, and no 4pc is going to hold you back massively.

This is prob a dumb question so just to clarify, when u say bad itemization do u just mean i have ilvl 700 stuff but i dont have the right gear with the right stats even though my  ilvl is high just not the right stats sort of thing?

Second would it be better to take some ilvl 695 gear over my 700 gear if it offers master/crit/multi over haste?

Yes that is what I mean. Even though the gear is ilvl 700 (or whatever) the stats on it are just meh. 

When it comes to lower gear being better than higher gear, it depends. If it gives you 4pc, almost always yes you should take it. But if it doesn't give a set than it is kind of iffy. *generally speaking* anything 10ilvl or lower isn't worth it, ever. 5ilvl though for perfect secondaries, most likely take it.

Such as: If you have 700 chest that has haste/vert Vs. 695 chest with mastery/crit, take the 695. If it is 700ilvl with mastery/haste Vs. 695ilvl with mastery/crit, take the 700ilvl.

Logs:

Kormrok:

You never capped on embers, good job.

Only one Dark Soul usage, bad. 

Only 4 CB during DS, meh - not great but not bad either. You can do better.

86% Immo uptime, do better. Aim for 95-98%.

6 Shadowburns, good.

No potions, bad.

Overall 7/10

Iron Reaver:

No potions, bad.

No Dark Soul, bad.

One Shadowburn, meh.

85% Immo uptime, bad.

Never capped on embers, good.

Overall 3.5/10

This should give you enough to go on for now. There is more you can do but you need to get these basics down first. You're not capping on embers and that is great, something most new warlocks have trouble with. Remember your potions and CDs, try to eek out more CBs during those times. 

Do you have an addon to track dots on target? If not, get one. Getting your Immo uptime up will help.

Keep working on the basics, get some better gear, don't worry to much. You can do better than you're doing now but you're not doing horribly. You'll be fine with time.

• Like 1

Okay thanks for the honest assessment!! i will work to improve on those things thank you for the basics help!! :)

F

Why do you have nameplates disabled?

How do you track the health of multiple targets at the same time?

How do you deal with applying and tracking DoTs on multiple targets?

• Like 1

Name plates are disabled because during boss fights DBM enables name plates on the side that track major adds such as in the Archie fight., Tracks doomfire archie hellfire death callers ext and display a buffs, debuffs ext on the underside of the portrait. 

I will admit its not the most effective. But i haven't found many UI options out there. If you have any suggestions like i've said previously i'm open to suggestions. 

The boss frames are actually put up by ElvUI (unless you've specifically turned them off, as I've not heard of DBM doing boss frames).  The benefit of having nameplates allows you to snipe random adds that don't have boss frames with mouseover macros, as it's quite common to have a macro that uses Shadowburn with a mouseover macro to snipe mobs.

• Like 1

Oh i always use both addons together so i assumed, but that makes sense that is a result of Elvui. And i suppose that's a good idea to implement ill be sure to do it.

Look into downloading Tidyplates, it improves the nameplates of all mobs on the screen. This way if you have little imps or felstalkers in shadowburn range, you know about it and can act accordingly. Also if you have DoTs on them you know when they're expiring.