Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blainie

overwatch New Overwatch Hero: Ana!

11 posts in this topic

imIMWQR.png

The latest Overwatch hero has just been announced! Ana, Pharah's mother, will be the newest hero to be released!

You can check out the gameplay trailer of Ana below:

It looks like she has the following abilities:

  • A sniper rifle that can both damage enemies and heal friendlies.
  • Some form of stun/sleep grenade that can interrupt ultimates.
  • A grenade that blocks healing.
  • An ultimate that buffs allies, similar to how Lt. Morales does in HoTS.

As for who Ana is, she is the mother of Pharah, but it looks like she might not be Sombra as was previously believed. If you want to find out more about her story, you can check out her Origins trailer below:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has the most time invested into Widow. . . I am thoroughly looking forward to Ana.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the basic abilities from the PlayOverwatch site:

You can hit enemies or allies with your basic attack, dealing damage to enemies or healing allies. You don't need to scope to shoot.

Sleep Dart incapacitates the target for 6 seconds, but any damage taken will break the effect. The animation+projectile works a lot like Mcree's basic attack.

Biotic Grenade has a small AoE, allies gain increased healing and enemies cannot heal.

Nano Boost is a single target buff which's animation is like  Zarya's Projected Barrier. It increases their movement speed and damage dealt, while decreasing damage taken. Very OP on Reinhardt

 

Possible team combos are:

Ana+Lucio/Soldier = Insane AoE healing 

Ana+Reinhardt = Profit?

 

 

Edited by Archimage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sajakain said:

As someone who has the most time invested into Widow. . . I am thoroughly looking forward to Ana.

Agreed.

Just now, Archimage said:

Reading the basic abilities from the PlayOverwatch site:

You can hit enemies or allies with your basic attack, dealing damage to enemies or healing allies. You don't need to scope to shoot.

Sleep Dart incapacitates the target for 6 seconds, but any damage taken will break the effect. The animation+projectile works a lot like Mcree's basic attack.

Biotic Grenade has a small AoE, allies gain increased healing and enemies cannot heal.

Nano Boost is a single target buff which's animation is like  Zarya's Projected Barrier. It increases their movement speed and damage dealt, while decreasing damage taken. Very OP on Reinhardt

 

Possible team combos are:

Ana+Lucio/Soldier = Insane AoE healing 

Ana+Reinhardt = Profit?

 

 

I feel like Zarya's ulti just found another counter. Biotic + Lucio and you completely ruin that ult combo. Even more so with Zenyatta. I feel like Ana will fit into the role of the 2nd support, so running Lucio + her, Mercy + her etc.

For combos, I wonder if it will combo with things like McCree ult, Roadhog ult.. Maybe Genji too? I cannot wait to play her, she is the support I've been waiting for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to this.  I've been very curious how they would handle rolling out new characters in OW and it looks like I won't have to wait much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ghostdeini said:

Really looking forward to this.  I've been very curious how they would handle rolling out new characters in OW and it looks like I won't have to wait much longer.

I'm just happy that she isn't gated behind anything. If you want to play her, you can. No need to pay, buy an expansion, whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is ANAmazing concept . I'm definately gANA play her.

Seems like the utility she'll bring to the team is bound to be fANAtastic.

Ok, I'll stop. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shine said:

I think this is ANAmazing concept . I'm definately gANA play her.

Seems like the utility she'll bring to the team is bound to be fANAtastic.

Ok, I'll stop. 

Continue pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Blainie said:

I'm just happy that she isn't gated behind anything. If you want to play her, you can. No need to pay, buy an expansion, whatever.

Completely!  The game isn't F2P like HotS so it doesn't make sense to charge for new characters.  Sure if they do an expansion somewhere down the line I'll buy it, but new maps and characters are like getting a new raid or dungeon in WoW.  You get it because you have already purchased the game.

 

2 hours ago, Shine said:

I think this is ANAmazing concept . I'm definately gANA play her.

Seems like the utility she'll bring to the team is bound to be fANAtastic.

Ok, I'll stop. 

Honestly, I don't even mind admitting that I laughed my ass off at this.  Loved your enthusiasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played her some last night (PTR) and here's a couple of things I noticed (coming from a Widow "main"):

  1. There is no charge time to her shot. Widow / Hazo having that charge and then going to a scope that doesn't is a little odd.
  2. The damage she does is a DoT to the enemy, not instantaneous.
  3. That I noticed, she has no mobility. She's a ground hero and has to use stairs like normal people. Maybe I'm wrong here and didn't try it out as much as I thought I did. (Referencing the Anubis location she was in on the video)
  4. Have to remind myself to constantly use my two other abilities (Dart / Bomb). Sniping tends to put you in a mindset that you only have the one weapon. Ana has multiple, useful, abilities.
  5. You cannot shoot through friendlies to hit enemies. If you try that you'll just heal your friendly.

In relation to #5, I was talking with other teammates last night and it would be an interesting approach if we could toggle friendly / enemy shots like we do with Lucio's speed / healing toggle. I'm not sure what button we'd press to do that but it'd definitely raise the skill cap on her even if it was slightly.

Anyway... another observance I made was her rifle is exceedingly long. At first look, it appears out of ratio. In reality, the barrel is extremely long.

She's extremely fun to play and it was odd killing Pharah. (I was not fortunate to put her to sleep during her ultimate; she never attempted it lol).

Ana's a completely different playing style for a sniper. I think she'll be "new" at first but only the dedicated will actually try to "master" her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sajakain said:

I played her some last night (PTR) and here's a couple of things I noticed (coming from a Widow "main"):

  1. There is no charge time to her shot. Widow / Hazo having that charge and then going to a scope that doesn't is a little odd.
  2. The damage she does is a DoT to the enemy, not instantaneous.
  3. That I noticed, she has no mobility. She's a ground hero and has to use stairs like normal people. Maybe I'm wrong here and didn't try it out as much as I thought I did. (Referencing the Anubis location she was in on the video)
  4. Have to remind myself to constantly use my two other abilities (Dart / Bomb). Sniping tends to put you in a mindset that you only have the one weapon. Ana has multiple, useful, abilities.
  5. You cannot shoot through friendlies to hit enemies. If you try that you'll just heal your friendly.

In relation to #5, I was talking with other teammates last night and it would be an interesting approach if we could toggle friendly / enemy shots like we do with Lucio's speed / healing toggle. I'm not sure what button we'd press to do that but it'd definitely raise the skill cap on her even if it was slightly.

Anyway... another observance I made was her rifle is exceedingly long. At first look, it appears out of ratio. In reality, the barrel is extremely long.

She's extremely fun to play and it was odd killing Pharah. (I was not fortunate to put her to sleep during her ultimate; she never attempted it lol).

Ana's a completely different playing style for a sniper. I think she'll be "new" at first but only the dedicated will actually try to "master" her.

Firstly, I agree that she is amazing to play. So much fun and just such a refreshing style of play for someone that plays a lot of support.

I'm going to add a few things to what you've put here:

  • Lack of mobility is very strange. I was trying to move into better positions to snipe from, but quickly realised that she actually doesn't need to be played as Widow is. If you're in trouble, you can dart and run. Quickly just took to playing from the back of the team, picking targets from the ground. From what I can see, she has no special way to get up anything.
  • I don't like the reliance on friendly positioning to be able to hit enemies. In those crazy moments on the point, you'd expect there to be a level of skill required to make sure that you hit the right targets. In reality, you could be shooting perfectly, but your team mates are just constantly in the way. For example, trying to finish off an enemy hero mid-ult, your shot could be blocked by a Genji dashing at that enemy or a Tracer blinking in front of them. I would love a way to toggle between the two. I feel like the fact that it's done by a simple priority that we have no control over sucks.
  • In addition to the previous point, how does the priority system work with shields? I know it makes a friendly Zarya shield a priority over an enemy on the other side of it, but does it include Reinhardt's and Winston's shields too? 
  • Dart is absorbed by Zarya shield, as is the bomb.
  • Bomb has a maximum range, dart does not. The bomb will explode eventually, this can be tested by simply throwing the bomb directly into the air and watching it.

While I love Ana, I'm extremely nervous about her in games. I feel like we're going to have another situation where players declare themselves Ana mains, as they do with Widow, and then be unable to hit offensive or defensive shots. Definitely a support that is going to need decent aim, unlike Lucio/Mercy, especially if you consider that you can ask your Genji to stop moving in the middle of the enemies while you try to heal him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      The new Overwatch event is coming tomorrow and we already have pretty good idea of what it'll be, with Blizzard's official announcement and now  the leak of the launch video as well! New skins for not only Mei and D.Va, but Reinhardt, Roadhog, Winston and Zenyatta too, with possibly more to come!
       
      There was also another ad that got leaked earlier that the video confirms, with some sweet, sweet new Reinhardt, Roadhog, Winston and Zenyatta skins! Just one day to go.

      And here are the official two videos announcing the event, for good measure:
    • By Shine
      Heya all,
      I know @Cablenerd already made a post for this but since he's currently not very active I'm (partly) taking over some of his recruiting.
       
      Our clan is called the Marauders and we are working heavily on our overwatch department. We are currently starting to form teams and will be having practice nights to work on general tactics/knowledge/skill in overwatch. Once a month we will hold an in-clan tourney between different teams in 6v6 as well as 3v3 and 1v1 situations.
      Obviously we are looking for YOU to join our ranks.
      If you are interested hop over to the website of awesomeness and submit an application. Make sure to mention me (LORDmeSH1NE) as your reference if you do.
      Do you have any questions or remarks? Don't hesitate to comment here or send me a message.
      I hope to more people coming in so we as a clan can be healthy and prosperous.
      Make sure to smile at least once every day. (especially after killing symmetra)
      Shine
    • By Starym
      At least two new skins are coming, for Mei and D.Va and we get to see a sneak peek of them.
      The Year of the Rooster is coming to OW and Blizzard have started teasing it already, if you can call straight up announcing the release date a tease. We don't know much more about it other than it will feature at least two new skins for Mei and D.Va, but it seems likely it'll be on par with all the other events so far and have more than just that. If not, it could be the first of a new type of smaller-scale theme event that comes around more frequently (or only for very special occasions), which isn't a bad idea either. In any case, here are the two new skins and teaser videos, courtesy of the official OW twitter and its Korean counterpart:
      Meanwhile, Jeff Kaplan is set to deliver a keynote speech at the 2017 DICE Summit titled "Overwatch: How Blizzard Created a Hopeful Vision of the Future".
    • By Starym
      Dev goals for Sombra, Roadhog's hook, D.Va and Ana thoughts, how the PTR is not just for community feedback on the changes, why there's no PTR on consoles and more.
      The big Roadhog and D.Va changes on the PTR recently, as you'd expect caused a civilized, calm and measured discourse in the OW community, without any overreactions or hyperbole whatsoever. So mild was the reaction that Jeff Kaplan felt the need to restate the purpose of the PTR and that changes done there aren't necessarily the end of the world. Of Overwatch.
      The actual details go into other purposes of the PTR other than community feedback on changes, goals or Sombra, Roadhog's hook, how D.Va is doing "too much" right now, small Ana changes, why there isn't a PTR on consoles and more:
    • By Starym
      A small patch mainly just fixing Mercy's "rez you while you're still falling off the map and then you fall again and die" bug and some Sombra reaching unintended locations bugs. Geoff Goodman also explained the reasoning and intentions behind the current changes to D.Va on the PTR.
      Josh Engen (source)
      PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
      New Feature: Simple Checkout
      Purchasing Loot Boxes has never been easier. Our streamlined system gives players access more payment options from directly within the Overwatch client.
      GENERAL UPDATES
      General
      Decreased the volume of passing cars on the Oasis background in the Hero Gallery
      BUG FIXES
      Heroes
      Fixed a bug that was allowing Mercy to resurrect players that had fallen off the map to their death
      Maps
      Fixed a bug to prevent the garden point on Oasis from being contested/captured from the second-floor walkway above it Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on several maps  
      Geoff Goodman (source)
      This is great feedback, thanks.
      Keep in mind her spread didn't actually change, but her shots 'fill in' her spread more evenly now, meaning her damage per shot is generally more consistent. For example, in the video provided from the live game, if you take that same shot multiple times you'll see a greater diversity in damage results than you would on the PTR, because sometimes some of those bullets would just miss. Overall though, the change to her damage is intended to be a small nerf.
      As for her health/armor, the bottom line is shes intended to be weaker vs faster firing weapons (and shotguns), such as Reaper and Tracer. The game is a lot healthier when heroes have strengths and weaknesses versus other heroes. As she was, it was common to hear people ask 'What do I do about D.Va?'. People often would try to use Zarya or Roadhog, since they both have the potential to deal high damage and pierce her Matrix, but even those answers were marginal at best. Heroes like Reaper that are generally supposed to be good at taking down tanks weren't very effective because of all the armor they had to get through. With lowered armor, she now has more legitimate counters and she still counters many heroes and abilities in the game, especially considering her Defense Matrix wasn't touched.
      I understand that people feel like she may be too weak overall after these changes, and if that turns out to be the case we'll look at helping her out. That said, that help isn't likely to come back in the form of a bunch of armor, since that would just put us back the problems we had to begin with. We'll be watching her impact closely after these changes.