FORUMS
Damien

Protection Paladin 7.3

Guest Oriele

As of March 9, the gear section of the guide is still not updated for nighthold/7.1.5

12 hours ago, Guest Oriele said:

As of March 9, the gear section of the guide is still not updated for nighthold/7.1.5

All I can do is apologise, basically - the note is still there and I'll poke our team. Hopefully we can get this resolved! :)

On 2/21/2017 at 6:22 PM, Guest Bankesy said:

Any update on when the gear will be updated?

See above.

Can someone please update the stat priority section with some more clarification for where stamina falls in the priority sequence, and also where strength is in the sequence?

The section mentions that stamina is indeed important, perhaps more important for Protection Paladins than some other tanks, and yes, there are plenty of calculators/simulators around, but I'd like to get the info from Icy Veins rather than rely on a calculator. Ideally, I'd like to see a Pawn string that includes stamina and strength, and which, afterwards, I can tweak or change based on simulations for my specific character. However, I don't want to do this relying solely on the calculations; I want to depend on a mix of those calculations and Icy Veins' common sense and experience.

Thank you.

Guest Kaley

I'm currently using the  Chain of ThraynChain of Thrayn  with the holy legendary ring  Ilterendi, Crown Jewel of SilvermoonIlterendi, Crown Jewel of Silvermoon. I'd say the ring is an extremely viable choice IF you are lucky enough to have it since it requires holy loot spec in order to be obtained. It provides a sustained 20% healing increase with everything, and it's uptime is 100% taking into account you use Judgment shortly after it's available. I'd say close to or pretty much on par with  Saruan's ResolveSaruan's Resolve  due to it's uptime. ^.^

Guest Korshalis

When will this page be updated again for BIS gear and whatnot?

Guest Khavokuun

*sigh* Just coming here to check gear, most notably trinkets, and it's really sad to see this neglected like this.

<shrug>

Honestly at this point I'd simply say to focus on next tier and upgraded gear from broken shore and tomb if there's going to be an upgrade, 7.15 is going to be outdated in several ways as soon as Tuesday hits, what with the legendary changes and the new loot from world bosses, artifact changes etc.

On 3/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, Rok said:

Ideally, I'd like to see a Pawn string that includes stamina and strength

That's something that, unfortunately, even with updates just won't appear - pawn strings for tanks suck. Honestly. If you had a way to calculate weights for a character on every single fight in the game, you would have a different weight for every single fight, simply because damage intake is never the exact same. 

As for str/stamina, it's kind of making a decision based on the content you are doing, as well as your healers. If you imagine 3 tanks, each of them have the following stats:

• 2.5M HP, takes 500K damage per second.
  • 4M HP, takes 800K damage per second.
  • 5M HP, takes 1M damage per second.

In this scenario, the damage is perfectly normalised. There is a specific amount of damage coming every second, and due to this, each tank dies at the same rate, if they have no healing: 5 seconds.

Now let's take a scenario where the average damage taken over a period of 30 seconds is exactly as listed above: 500K, 800K and 1M respectively. The difference now is, there are bursts of damage. There are periods where no damage is coming in except a small ticking dot, while there are other periods where they are taking upwards of 2-4M damage per second.

At this point, the lower HP tank might find themselves dropping closer to death due to relying too much on their secondary stats. They don't have a big enough base stamina pool to simply survive the burst when they don't have an AM/cooldown to use, meaning healers have to use externals to keep them alive. This is the kind of thing that might happen to an undergeared tank, or someone that sacrifices huge item level upgrades to stay with H/V gear.

Hopefully this kind of explains what I mean? The stamina requirement is simply based on what you need. Find out what healers are comfortable with, if you are constantly getting oneshot, there is an issue and you need more stamina. 

On 3/19/2017 at 8:41 PM, Guest Kaley said:

I'm currently using the  Chain of ThraynChain of Thrayn  with the holy legendary ring  Ilterendi, Crown Jewel of SilvermoonIlterendi, Crown Jewel of Silvermoon. I'd say the ring is an extremely viable choice IF you are lucky enough to have it since it requires holy loot spec in order to be obtained. It provides a sustained 20% healing increase with everything, and it's uptime is 100% taking into account you use Judgment shortly after it's available. I'd say close to or pretty much on par with  Saruan's ResolveSaruan's Resolve  due to it's uptime. ^.^

Do you by any chance have a log of you using the ring? I'd love to take a look.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, Guest Korshalis said:

When will this page be updated again for BIS gear and whatnot?

I can only apologise, I'm sorry that it hasn't been updated. I've put in another note and hopefully we can get some information on it. I'll let you know!

On 3/23/2017 at 7:12 AM, Guest Khavokuun said:

*sigh* Just coming here to check gear, most notably trinkets, and it's really sad to see this neglected like this.

Please see above and sorry once again!

We are currently in the process of updating our guides in preparation for the release of 7.2 - please understand that we will not be answering questions in this section about "What is better for 7.2?" prior to the patch release, since all the information will be available when the patch goes live. Please be patient and thanks for waiting!

Guest Sanaka

There's a typo in food recommendation. Both Hearty and Lavish Suramar feasts grant stamina instead of strength (+600 and +750 respectively), checked yesterday.

7 hours ago, Guest Sanaka said:

There's a typo in food recommendation. Both Hearty and Lavish Suramar feasts grant stamina instead of strength (+600 and +750 respectively), checked yesterday.

Thanks for the heads up! Will get it updated :)

Guest Zionkai

Hey, just wondering if you guys plan on changing the artifact path after blessed stalwart got nerfed to 8% a few days into 7.2. I'm 3/4 on holy aegis, but I'm not sure if I should continue up to blessed stalwart now or invest in getting 4/4 unflinching defense, scatter the shadows, and righteous crusader. Thanks!

On 4/16/2017 at 0:08 AM, Guest Zionkai said:

Hey, just wondering if you guys plan on changing the artifact path after blessed stalwart got nerfed to 8% a few days into 7.2. I'm 3/4 on holy aegis, but I'm not sure if I should continue up to blessed stalwart now or invest in getting 4/4 unflinching defense, scatter the shadows, and righteous crusader. Thanks!

I believe you still go for Blessed Stalwart, regardless of the nerf. 

The stat priority section doesn't mention Strength. Where does it fit in with secondaries? I know that might sound like a stupid question, but there's at least one other spec in the game for which the primary stat is not the highest priority (Vengeance Demon Hunter).

5 hours ago, Roflmauzer said:

The stat priority section doesn't mention Strength. Where does it fit in with secondaries? I know that might sound like a stupid question, but there's at least one other spec in the game for which the primary stat is not the highest priority (Vengeance Demon Hunter).

It would most likely sit around the middle, perhaps around a similar weight to Mastery. 

Guest Lewtzy

Hi, I rolled a Paladin Tank about a week ago, maybe 1,5 .. either way... the artifact path you show here (and on other websites) looks different than mine.. see screenshot.

Maybe I am overlooking something... But It I thought the four extra traits would unlock at lvl 35.

artifactss.jpg

artifactss.jpg

57 minutes ago, Guest Lewtzy said:

Maybe I am overlooking something... But It I thought the four extra traits would unlock at lvl 35.

You have to start the new questline introduced in 7.2. Head to Broken Isles and speak to Khadgar, he'll give you a quest after you've done the quest for AK 26.

• Like 1

Guest Lewtzy
15 hours ago, Luthixx said:

You have to start the new questline introduced in 7.2. Head to Broken Isles and speak to Khadgar, he'll give you a quest after you've done the quest for AK 26.

Yep, that did it. thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2017 at 0:15 AM, Guest Lewtzy said:

Yep, that did it. thanks!

Glad to see Luthixx got to helping you before I did! If you have more questions, just ask :)

Guest Judge

Can someone put up Haste cap or something on the Stats guide.  I am aiming for 30% haste then the rest come based on gear ilvl.  From what I've seen for other Prot Pallies, They stack mastery a lot more than haste.  Please advise the break point so I can gear accordingly.  Thanks.