FORUMS
Damien

Protection Paladin 7.3

21 hours ago, Migol said:

FYI one of the trinkets in the update is not displaying/linked correctly.

Passed it on to the writer, thanks!

On the Netherlight Crucible page, section 2 and 3 say Tier 3 priorities are discussed "above" / "at the top of this page"; however I do not see Tier 3 priorities laid out anywhere on the page other than the defensive / offensive exceptions listed when talking about relic ilvls.

Separately, I do not understand the labels for Tier 3 on the image included: "Tier 3 (Relic 1)", "Tier 3 (Relic 2)", "Tier 3 (Relic 3)". Maybe this is related to my first issue and this is really an issue of understanding and not of missing information.

7 hours ago, Glacials said:

On the Netherlight Crucible page, section 2 and 3 say Tier 3 priorities are discussed "above" / "at the top of this page"; however I do not see Tier 3 priorities laid out anywhere on the page other than the defensive / offensive exceptions listed when talking about relic ilvls.

It's this part:

Defensively, you should mostly use the highest item level relic you have and simply make the best of the traits it provides you with. The exception to this is  Unflinching Defense, which is a trait you should try to get in all 3 of your relics, if at all possible. If you can combine this trait with  Bastion of Truth or  Resolve of Truth, then that is a very solid defensive relic.

Offensively, you can sacrifice item levels to make sure all 3 relics have both  Consecration in Flame and  Hammer Time.

As for the second question, it's simply there to say that on Tier 3, there are 3 relic trait options to upgrade for each relic, depending on your path.

5 hours ago, Blainie said:

It's this part:

As for the second question, it's simply there to say that on Tier 3, there are 3 relic trait options to upgrade for each relic, depending on your path.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the part I don't understand is the "make the best of the traits it provides" part. How do I make the best of it? I understand that if Unflinching Defense is available in tier 3 I should get it, but it makes no mention of what I should do if it is not.

15 hours ago, Glacials said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess the part I don't understand is the "make the best of the traits it provides" part. How do I make the best of it? I understand that if Unflinching Defense is available in tier 3 I should get it, but it makes no mention of what I should do if it is not.

Ah, I see - this is pretty unclear. 

As far as I understand it from the NLC page and the Artifact page, you'll follow this priority:

Unflinching Defense (if it provides you with another use of the spell in a fight) >> Resolve of Truth >= Bastion of Truth > Righteous Crusader > Unflinching Defense (if it does not provide you with another use of the spell in a fight) > Faith's Armor

I'll ask for this section to be cleared up, it's a bit ambiguous, you're completely right. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2017 at 3:38 AM, Blainie said:

Ah, I see - this is pretty unclear. 

As far as I understand it from the NLC page and the Artifact page, you'll follow this priority:

Unflinching Defense (if it provides you with another use of the spell in a fight) >> Resolve of Truth >= Bastion of Truth > Righteous Crusader > Unflinching Defense (if it does not provide you with another use of the spell in a fight) > Faith's Armor

I'll ask for this section to be cleared up, it's a bit ambiguous, you're completely right. 

Great, thank you for the info and for passing along the feedback!

On 12/13/2017 at 4:48 AM, Glacials said:

Great, thank you for the info and for passing along the feedback!

No problem, glad to help :)

Guest Judge

Based on the relic description, defensively, i have a 930 relic with the ardent defender. is that better than the 945 relic with consecration flame?

18 hours ago, Guest Judge said:

Based on the relic description, defensively, i have a 930 relic with the ardent defender. is that better than the 945 relic with consecration flame?

Depends on what you want. Defense, AD relic. Offense, CiF relic.

I don't know if it's due to discount bonus you get when you're exalted or if Blizzard changed it themselves, but every page under DPS Gems, Enchants, and Consumables including this one says the Lightforged Augment Rune costs 50,000 gold and they are wrong. At exalted it costs 40,000 gold, not 50,000.

Edited by Matthyas

On 1/25/2018 at 7:13 AM, Matthyas said:

I don't know if it's due to discount bonus you get when you're exalted or if Blizzard changed it themselves, but every page under DPS Gems, Enchants, and Consumables including this one says the Lightforged Augment Rune costs 50,000 gold and they are wrong. At exalted it costs 40,000 gold, not 50,000.

I'll let the writers know, thanks!

Uncommon Patron

I don't think this is correct anymore, maybe the talent has changed?

If you need another strong defensive cooldown, then you could take Final Stand IconFinal Stand. It is an extremely powerful tanking cooldown, since it actively makes you immune to all damage for its duration. That being said, it is very hard to really justify using it over Hand of the Protector IconHand of the Protector. On a longer fight, where damage is steadily incoming, Hand of the Protector will be a lot more useful than a strong cooldown every 5 minutes. There are also some bosses where you might want to use Divine Shield IconDivine Shield to remove a debuff, or soak a mechanic or ability; the boss will still target you for 3 seconds during Divine Shield after you use taunt, and you would not need to run Final Stand. All in all, this talent does not add a lot and we do not recommend taking it outside of very fringe cases. Its greatest feature is that it can make some Necrotic pulls in Mythic+ much easier, but we still do not feel that it is necessary.

The Tooltip:

Final Stand

Talent
Requires Paladin (Protection)
Requires level 75

When you use Divine Shield, you also taunt all targets within 15 yards for 8 sec.

The tooltip is correct (verified ingame). The desciption is maybe for previous version of the talent where it did all that instead of just taunt everything within 15 yards.

I see this talent being useful for picking up thrash and groups of mobs in dungeons and raids.

On 1.5.2018 at 8:45 AM, Dwaladin said:

The tooltip is correct (verified ingame). The desciption is maybe for previous version of the talent where it did all that instead of just taunt everything within 15 yards.

I see this talent being useful for picking up thrash and groups of mobs in dungeons and raids.

I don't see anything wrong with the current description/information? 

Uncommon Patron
5 hours ago, Blainie said:

I don't see anything wrong with the current description/information? 

It is an extremely powerful tanking cooldown, since it actively makes you immune to all damage for its duration.

Oke I misread, I thought it said Avenger's Shield will taunt everything within 15 yards, instead of the few you hit with it. But it's Divine Shield.

Still, the description is misleading. It's Divine Shield that makes you immune. It does that with or without Final Stand. Final Stand just makes it taunt everything in range when you cast DS.

7 minutes ago, Dwaladin said:

Oke I misread, I thought it said Avenger's Shield will taunt everything within 15 yards, instead of the few you hit with it. But it's Divine Shield.

Still, the description is misleading. It's Divine Shield that makes you immune. It does that with or without Final Stand. Final Stand just makes it taunt everything in range when you cast DS.

This is true, but it's assumed that you won't ever use Divine Shield without it - in M+, you'll kill a DPS normally, in a raid, you'll need to waste your taunt (fine sometimes, really bad at others) or mess up the stacks for your off-tank.

Guest kalvinkand

Repentance doesn't put you in combat when you use it out of range of the mobs and walk close to it. It's similar to Sap and Imprison.  I think it is worth mentioning.

This guide will be updated for the release of the pre-patch of Battle for Azeroth in the next few days. We are aiming to have every guide deployed prior to the patch going live.

Please note that a new feedback thread will be created for the new guide, meaning that this one will be archived. Any feedback you have for the new guide should be placed in the new comment thread.

Thank you all for your patience and we are working to get the new guides up as soon as possible.