Blainie

Climbing from Bronze 5 to Grand Master with Nostromia!

20 posts in this topic

W4XOAVH.jpg

Ever wondered how difficult it might be to climb from Bronze 5 to Grand Master in HoTS? This Russian streamer has decided to undertake the task, while only solo queuing the whole way!

The streamer in question is none other than Nostromia, a Russian streamer that normally plays at the Grand Master level. She managed to grab herself a low MMR account and is attempting to show that it's possible to climb from Bronze 5 all the way to Grand Master. 

The Reddit post over on /r/heroesofthestorm which really highlighted her stream has described her progress as follows:

  • She has a nearly 100% win-rate, with a score of 42-1.
  • She is currently in the Silver leagues.
  • Her main heroes played are Falstad and Zagara.
  • While she has a limited grasp of English, she uses simple commands to communicate with other players that are not Russian.

If you're interested in watching her climb, you can always check out her stream at twitch.tv/nostromiagaming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, its possible because she's already a grand master skill level player.  It still isn't possible for a Bronze 5 skill level player to make it to grand master, that's the whole point of the mmr and rankings... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Estelise said:

Yeah, its possible because she's already a grand master skill level player.  It still isn't possible for a Bronze 5 skill level player to make it to grand master, that's the whole point of the mmr and rankings... 

She's mainly doing it to dispel the myth that like.. "it's impossible to carry in HoTS because that role doesn't exist". These sort of things. It's also going to give us an average number of wins in order to level up through each rank and so on. It will be REALLY useful for collecting data in my opinion, data that will help a lot of players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one said it's impossible to climb from bronze to grand master when you can actually carry your team cause you have the skill, the problem is that a good player with good skills that can see where the team is failing but can't carry them is not able to climb the ladder, because he plays or matched up with players that can't see their fault

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt she can do this. However, I hope she does. It will give me hope. I have many Hero's friends that reach a rank and then just go down, down, down. I cheer for them, gain hope, and then lose it. 

 

 

And I have many proofs with words that 'prove' MMR hell. I hope to have doubt about my arguments with some empirical data. 

 

Sincerely, I am smiling and excited about her success. And I have been defending MMR hell vigorously. 

 

 

There may be a point however, after a single player's skill cannot overcome the lack of skill in his/her four teammates. Nonetheless, that record is impressive. 

Edited by greatCraft
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mnime said:

No one said it's impossible to climb from bronze to grand master when you can actually carry your team cause you have the skill, the problem is that a good player with good skills that can see where the team is failing but can't carry them is not able to climb the ladder, because he plays or matched up with players that can't see their fault

This was actually one of the biggest criticisms of HoTS - it's not possible to carry because a carry doesn't exist, due to a lack of items, such as a heavily farmed ADC in LoL.

Not saying I agree with this, that is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Blainie said:

This was actually one of the biggest criticisms of HoTS - it's not possible to carry because a carry doesn't exist, due to a lack of items, such as a heavily farmed ADC in LoL.

Not saying I agree with this, that is.

True, scratch that part where I said "no one".

It is possible but don't you think good players with high skill cap should play in high leagues even if they can't carry a team?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mnime said:

True, scratch that part where I said "no one".

It is possible but don't you think good players with high skill cap should play in high leagues even if they can't carry a team?

For sure. I think it's interesting to see her play in the lower leagues too though. Not only from a results point of view (25 games to go from Bronze to Silver, for example), but to see what really separates the players.

When you watch her play Falstad, the Bronze players have no idea what is going on when she jumps over the walls and gusts them straight into her team. You can see that those plays are what allow her to carry, regardless of her having items or not. Those plays can literally create a win for a team.

It's a different kind of entertainment from watching top players I think. It's going to be one-sided for sure. On a normal day, I definitely think GMs should play GMs, Gold should play Gold etc., but I definitely want to see this played out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, greatCraft said:

I highly doubt she can do this. However, I hope she does. It will give me hope. I have many Hero's friends that reach a rank and then just go down, down, down. I cheer for them, gain hope, and then lose it. 

 

 

And I have many proofs with words that 'prove' MMR hell. I hope to have doubt about my arguments with some empirical data. 

 

Sincerely, I am smiling and excited about her success. And I have been defending MMR hell vigorously. 

 

 

There may be a point however, after a single player's skill cannot overcome the lack of skill in his/her four teammates. Nonetheless, that record is impressive. 

I also believe in MMR Hell, 

Because matchmaking greatly depends on "Luck", if you're a lucky guy, you get decent players, if you're unlucky like me, you play your placement, start in D4 and then you go up to D1, but then you keep getting afkers, troll pickers, ragers. The question is why is it just me that gets trolls in my team? and the answer is Luck! I'm unlucky.

And this MMR hell affects all of blizzard's games, even in Overwatch I tried solo queue, got placed in rank 61 after placements and now I'm 35... and I swear to God half of my loses are because of leavers and people who keep playing Ana with a bad comp or Genji without any skill, even if you beg them to change, they don't.

 

And the thing that frustrates me more than anything is that, is my skill cap really this low? I can vividly see where the team is failing but my teammates can't, how is it that I'm teamed up with them?

Edited by mnime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mnime said:

I also believe in MMR Hell, 

Because matchmaking greatly depends on "Luck", if you're a lucky guy, you get decent players, if you're unlucky like me, you play your placement, start in D4 and then you go up to D1, but then you keep getting afkers, troll pickers, ragers. The question is why is it just me that gets trolls in my team? and the answer is Luck! I'm unlucky.

And this MMR hell affects all of blizzard's games, even in Overwatch I tried solo queue, got placed in rank 61 after placements and now I'm 35... and I swear to God half of my loses are because of leavers and people who keep playing Ana with a bad comp or Genji without any skill, even if you beg them to change, they don't.

And the thing that frustrates me more than anything is that, is my skill cap really this low? I can vividly see where the team is failing but my teammates can't, how is it that I'm teamed up with them?

I feel like MMR hell is often seen in the wrong way. People seem to think MMR hell is like, OMG IF IT WERENT FOR THESE SHIT PLAYERS I'D BE GRAND MASTER EASY.

That's not what we're saying. I'm not saying I'd be a GM, BUT I am saying that I could comfortably pull my weight in a team that is a few ranks above me. I just can't reach that level because I'm not good enough to carry those that can't pull their weight at my current level. 

I agree about OW too. Ana shouldn't have been allowed in this season of comp IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blainie said:

That's not what we're saying. I'm not saying I'd be a GM, BUT I am saying that I could comfortably pull my weight in a team that is a few ranks above me. I just can't reach that level because I'm not good enough to carry those that can't pull their weight at my current level. 

This, 100%.  It's nice to see someone looking at it this way, because I feel like that is exactly where I am.  I am by no means a GM, but can definitely pull my weight when I play with teams above my hero league rank.  The thing is that when I play HL, yes I can see the mistakes that my teammates are making, but my personal play isn't good enough to completely make up for them.  Just because I play well and don't make those mistakes doesn't mean the other players are the only thing holding me back.  Maybe someday I'll get good enough to carry teams and make amazing play after amazing play, but until that time I'll keep up the grind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt, it is possible to climb, but:

1 game with afkler/troller/feeder/etc , trades with another game you won. So 2 matches and about 40-60minutes game time is lost. If it is a uprank or downrank game you lose an additional game you won. 60-80 minutes game time lost and 3 matches wasted.

 

My badest streak was 5 matches with afkler in a row and in addition 2 matches with troll picks.

A week or more of hardwork totally wasted and loosing 2 ranks.

 

Can you carry with a bot/feeder/troller/afkler on silver? I doubt it MMR hell stands for running in circles, the good old "Hell League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ghostdeini said:

This, 100%.  It's nice to see someone looking at it this way, because I feel like that is exactly where I am.  I am by no means a GM, but can definitely pull my weight when I play with teams above my hero league rank.  The thing is that when I play HL, yes I can see the mistakes that my teammates are making, but my personal play isn't good enough to completely make up for them.  Just because I play well and don't make those mistakes doesn't mean the other players are the only thing holding me back.  Maybe someday I'll get good enough to carry teams and make amazing play after amazing play, but until that time I'll keep up the grind!

It's the biggest misconception about MMR hell for sure. It happens in both HoTS and OW, but it seems the only way to fix it is play in a party. It sucks.

46 minutes ago, Skund said:

1 game with afkler/troller/feeder/etc , trades with another game you won.

This is always terrible. I hate it when someone refuses to play properly and just feeds because your team doesn't want them to first pick Nova, or pick a hero into a counter. It's really annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a workaround for this, there is a very good skill rating measurement system in overwatch, and blizzard keeps telling the community that they like the idea and they want to add it to heroes too.

Let's say it happens. It's not that hard to figure out the skill of a player, am I wrong? I mean in Overwatch you're either helping your team by doing damage, blocking damage, healing or taking objective. The same can be done for HotS. In heroes you're either doing damage which involves poking and team fights or pushing lanes, as a tank you're taking damage and also dealing some, as a support you heal, and all can participate in objectives, someone who does very low damage, doesn't help much on objectives, die many times and maybe afk once in a while to type and flame teammates :D MUST be in the lowest MMR among players, this player MUST lose MMR regardless of his team's defeat. because he's just bad and toxic! This way not only you see players of same skill level after a month, but you also know that if someone flaming or trolling he will lose MMR and eventually end up in lower leagues. 

This way you know if you wanna rank up, you need to stop feeding (which makes players play more safe, is awesome!) you need to help objectives at all times unless you're helping your team more than that by pushing lanes (Like Abathur, although every time I play abathur I always hide in a bush near minions to get the xp for team, locusts push passively and I help objective with symbiotic, I hate Murky players who ignore objectives completely!!) , you need to deal enough damage, heals to help your team (You can say doing huge amounts of damage is way easy with Nazeebo compared to Murky, but the system can give more value to that amount of damage you deal when the enemy dies within 5 seconds. Or landing a very good CC can be a big score too.)  Just like in Overwatch when you see a D.Va with a perfect ult which kills 4 and wins the match for her team and gets the play of the match, This can happen in Heroes, the engine sucks but they can work on it.

 

TL:DR - We need a system that can rate your skill after each game based on your damage dealt, healing done, damage taken and objective time. And this system's score should affect your MMR directly. If you Troll you lose MMR regardless of the outcome of the match.

Edited by mnime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mnime said:

I think there is a workaround for this, there is a very good skill rating measurement system in overwatch, and blizzard keeps telling the community that they like the idea and they want to add it to heroes too.

Let's say it happens. It's not that hard to figure out the skill of a player, am I wrong? I mean in Overwatch you're either helping your team by doing damage, blocking damage, healing or taking objective. The same can be done for HotS. In heroes you're either doing damage which involves poking and team fights or pushing lanes, as a tank you're taking damage and also dealing some, as a support you heal, and all can participate in objectives, someone who does very low damage, doesn't help much on objectives, die many times and maybe afk once in a while to type and flame teammates :D MUST be in the lowest MMR among players, this player MUST lose MMR regardless of his team's defeat. because he's just bad and toxic! This way not only you see players of same skill level after a month, but you also know that if someone flaming or trolling he will lose MMR and eventually end up in lower leagues. 

This way you know if you wanna rank up, you need to stop feeding (which makes players play more safe, is awesome!) you need to help objectives at all times unless you're helping your team more than that by pushing lanes (Like Abathur, although every time I play abathur I always hide in a bush near minions to get the xp for team, locusts push passively and I help objective with symbiotic, I hate Murky players who ignore objectives completely!!) , you need to deal enough damage, heals to help your team (You can say doing huge amounts of damage is way easy with Nazeebo compared to Murky, but the system can give more value to that amount of damage you deal when the enemy dies within 5 seconds. Or landing a very good CC can be a big score too.)  Just like in Overwatch when you see a D.Va with a perfect ult which kills 4 and wins the match for her team and gets the play of the match, This can happen in Heroes, the engine sucks but they can work on it.

 

TL:DR - We need a system that can rate your skill after each game based on your damage dealt, healing done, damage taken and objective time. And this system's score should affect your MMR directly. If you Troll you lose MMR regardless of the outcome of the match.

Problem is, these things aren't always useful. Let's take two scenarios, both in the same game.

  1. Bastion is on defense and does nothing but fire straight into Mei's Ice Wall and Reinhardt's shield. He kills nobody, but has 5 times more damage than anyone else on his team. 
  2. Tracer is on attack, she barely kills anyone, but she manages to keep overtime going continuously, but dies very quickly on the point. It's enough to let her team get back onto the point and fight though.

By damage done, the Bastion is doing loads. In reality, he never touches the point and pads his damage constantly. Tracer will be shown by medals and numbers to be doing less, but she is way more useful to her team. 

I think it's a lot more difficult to make it work than we think. In HoTS, a warrior could sit there, suicide 15 times and take loads of damage. So by the warrior stat, he's doing well, but he's not contributing. What about a warrior that takes less damage, but doesn't die? Is he better or worse? What if the 15 deaths are instead incredibly important, allowing his team to win the team fight?

I really think it's insanely hard to calibrate these systems properly to discern between good and bad players, especially when the metrics measure a good and bad player in the same way. Loads of deaths could be a terrible player feeding or a good player sacrificing themselves to let their team win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blainie said:

Problem is, these things aren't always useful. Let's take two scenarios, both in the same game.

  1. Bastion is on defense and does nothing but fire straight into Mei's Ice Wall and Reinhardt's shield. He kills nobody, but has 5 times more damage than anyone else on his team. 
  2. Tracer is on attack, she barely kills anyone, but she manages to keep overtime going continuously, but dies very quickly on the point. It's enough to let her team get back onto the point and fight though.

By damage done, the Bastion is doing loads. In reality, he never touches the point and pads his damage constantly. Tracer will be shown by medals and numbers to be doing less, but she is way more useful to her team. 

I think it's a lot more difficult to make it work than we think. In HoTS, a warrior could sit there, suicide 15 times and take loads of damage. So by the warrior stat, he's doing well, but he's not contributing. What about a warrior that takes less damage, but doesn't die? Is he better or worse? What if the 15 deaths are instead incredibly important, allowing his team to win the team fight?

I really think it's insanely hard to calibrate these systems properly to discern between good and bad players, especially when the metrics measure a good and bad player in the same way. Loads of deaths could be a terrible player feeding or a good player sacrificing themselves to let their team win.

Very good point. 

Giving more value to the damage heroes deal within 5 seconds of a kill or assist is a good idea for the first scenario IMO. Nazeebo's poke, Bastion's wall/shield damage are not completely wasted but an assist is way more valuable and could get a multiplier.

Dying in HotS more than a few times just hurts your team no matter what. I remember someone suggested for tanks that if the death was within a few seconds of team fight (atleast 4 members of team are dealing damage to heroes) or objective battle (atleast 4 members of the team presence near the objective), it means he died for a reason. This way tanks who just jump in and engage 1v5 and die without waiting for their teammates or their healer to help them are considered feeders.

It would be a really complicated code. But since I remember, any game that had a matchmaking system suffered from this exact problem. The code needs to be smart and there are a lot of workarounds, I think Blizzard developers are smart enough to write it, don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2016 at 0:43 AM, mnime said:

Very good point. 

Giving more value to the damage heroes deal within 5 seconds of a kill or assist is a good idea for the first scenario IMO. Nazeebo's poke, Bastion's wall/shield damage are not completely wasted but an assist is way more valuable and could get a multiplier.

Dying in HotS more than a few times just hurts your team no matter what. I remember someone suggested for tanks that if the death was within a few seconds of team fight (atleast 4 members of team are dealing damage to heroes) or objective battle (atleast 4 members of the team presence near the objective), it means he died for a reason. This way tanks who just jump in and engage 1v5 and die without waiting for their teammates or their healer to help them are considered feeders.

It would be a really complicated code. But since I remember, any game that had a matchmaking system suffered from this exact problem. The code needs to be smart and there are a lot of workarounds, I think Blizzard developers are smart enough to write it, don't you think?

If anyone can do it, I hope Blizzard can :P It would make me so happy when playing both OW and HoTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2016 at 1:32 PM, Blainie said:

Problem is, these things aren't always useful. Let's take two scenarios, both in the same game.

  1. Bastion is on defense and does nothing but fire straight into Mei's Ice Wall and Reinhardt's shield. He kills nobody, but has 5 times more damage than anyone else on his team. 
  2. Tracer is on attack, she barely kills anyone, but she manages to keep overtime going continuously, but dies very quickly on the point. It's enough to let her team get back onto the point and fight though.

By damage done, the Bastion is doing loads. In reality, he never touches the point and pads his damage constantly. Tracer will be shown by medals and numbers to be doing less, but she is way more useful to her team. 

I think it's a lot more difficult to make it work than we think. In HoTS, a warrior could sit there, suicide 15 times and take loads of damage. So by the warrior stat, he's doing well, but he's not contributing. What about a warrior that takes less damage, but doesn't die? Is he better or worse? What if the 15 deaths are instead incredibly important, allowing his team to win the team fight?

I really think it's insanely hard to calibrate these systems properly to discern between good and bad players, especially when the metrics measure a good and bad player in the same way. Loads of deaths could be a terrible player feeding or a good player sacrificing themselves to let their team win.

I think the way around this in terms of coding and understanding would be to perhaps divide role stat by death, to assess true value of a player.  For example:

Player 1. Dying 10 times and doing 100, 000 damage might be made to look like a great player cos of the high damage but like you say,  those 10 deaths could mean that to get that 100, 000 damage,  the team have suffered missing objectives and such and lost the game

Whereas,

Player 2. Someone who did 70, 000 who died 3 times technically did less damage would be possibly judged as the inferior player 

Now for some basic maths 

1. 100, 000 divided by 10 is 10, 000

2. 70, 000 divided by 3 is 23, 333

With this we can now see that player 2 performed a lot better even though the role was less.  This is incredibly simplified however I think it's a starting point for a new approach. 

 

Same goes for xp

Take the xp and divide by deaths and you can find an effectiveness statistic

 

You can even go one further to combine these two statistics 

 

Role ÷ deaths + experience ÷ deaths = X 

Then divide x by 2 because you quantified 2 different stats 

 

With enough thought you could find out so much about the value of a player from this method alone

 

Ultimately its a team game that's won or lost on decisions but we already have systems in place (MVP),  we could just make them more sophisticated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2016 at 2:38 PM, Lakecide said:

With enough thought you could find out so much about the value of a player from this method alone

The issue is, as soon as deaths become important as a stat, people will play differently. It's why they currently aren't ranked for medals.

There are times when I would rather have someone swap to Tracer and suicide 5 times, but reset the Overtime timer 5 times, as opposed to a Widowmaker that gets 2 kills, but watches as we lose due to not resetting the timer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Oxygen
      Our twentieth Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier list for the month of June is here!
      We present our twentieth Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier List for the month of June 2018.
      Welcome to Icy Veins's Meta Tier List for the June 12 patch. The goal of this list is to try and detail game's current metagame state. The prime goal of such lists is to inform players regarding popular and trending team composition drafting strategies (i.e. the drafting metagame). Although tier listings are generally the product of balance, many factors come into play when discussing the relative perceived strengths of heroes, including player regions, maps, play style, skill level, and, of course, personal perception. As such, any tier list—including this very one—should never be interpreted as gospel, but rather, as a guide to better grasp what to expect with regards to typical drafting experiences. One useful application of such lists is to allow you know which heroes to look out for in terms of practice and counterplay, ultimately improving your knowledge of the game.
      Using the list
       
      Current ranked mode map rotation
       
      Prime Tier
      Warrior Assassin Support Specialist Garrosh Fenix Malfurion  Zagara↑ Prime tier heroes are considered to be extremely strong in all situations, and show no obvious weakness. They are very often banned or picked right away, as they generally dictate the pace of most matches.
       
      Core Tier
      Warrior Assassin Support Specialist Arthas Chromie↑ Alexstrasza Abathur Blaze   Falstad Auriel↑ Azmodan Dehaka Genji↓ Deckard Nazeebo Diablo↓ Greymane Stukov↓   E.T.C.↓ Hanzo     Johanna Jaina     Muradin Junkrat     Stitches Li-Ming     Varian (Taunt) Lunara↑       Maiev↓       Malthael       Thrall↓       Tychus↑       Tracer     Core tier heroes are strong in a wide variety of situations and have few counter-picking possibility. They should form the core of your team, and be picked after Prime Tier heroes have been distributed.
       
      Viable Tier
      Warrior Assassin Support Specialist Anub'arak Alarak Ana↑ Gazlowe Artanis Cassia Kharazim Medivh D.Va Gul'dan Li Li↓ Murky Leoric Kael'thas Lt. Morales↓ Sylvanas↓ Tyrael  Kel'Thuzad Lúcio↓ Xul Zarya Kerrigan Rehgar     Nova- Uther↓     Ragnaros       Samuro       The Butcher       Varian (Colossus Smash)↑       Varian (Twin Blades of Fury)↑       Valla       Zeratul+       Zul'jin     Viable tier heroes are generally well-rounded that have either fallen out of favour, or, inversely, are on the rise in popularity, due to the current Prime tier contenders.
       
      Niche Tier
      Warrior Assassin Support Specialist Chen Cho'gall Brightwing↓ Probius Cho'gall Illidan Tassadar Sgt. Hammer Rexxar Raynor Tyrande↓     Valeera             Niche tier heroes have niche application on certain maps or for certain team compositions. They may also picked to "round out" your team composition when your team composition is missing out on key components, such as a "jungler" (mercenary camps), a solo laner, or solid waveclear.
       
      Underplayed Tier
      Warrior Assassin Support Specialist Yrel (new) - - The Lost Vikings Underplayed Tier heroes are deemed to be either considerably weaker than the majority of other Heroes, or much more challenging to play properly. Although they may situationally shine, these heroes are generally avoided by most players.
       
      Discussion
      I know I promised a new list for last week, but I generally try to give important changes about a week to set in somewhat before writing about them. Nexomania launching on a Friday (May 22) also threw my timing off slight as well, though I think it's safe to expect future events involving loot chests to fire off right before weekends for economic reasons.
       
      In other news, I brought up the idea of reworking how the list is presented a couple weeks ago. The first change I'd like to discuss pertains to role division. Since Blizzard is taking its sweetest time with reworking the class system, I'm looking for a way to better convey each hero's role. Concretely, this means I'm considering adding more categories and renaming some of the classic ones. This requires a good bit of consideration and some creativity, although I feel like the system I discussed in last month's tier list is solid enough to officially subject to everyone's scrutiny. Let me know how you feel about it, as I'm sure it can be improved.
       
      Tanks:
      Bruisers:
      Fighters:
      Stalkers:
      Marksmen: (and markswomen)
      Mages:
      Healers:
      Enablers:
       
      The second change I'm looking to make pertains to tiering. Although I've never been completely happy with it, some of the problems are becoming more and more apparent as the game is becoming more balanced, and as I spend time thinking about it. First, it fails to really make sense with regards to statistics. For instance, Genji, who stands at at a low 40% win rate, has been considered one of the strongest hero for over a year now. Why might that be? I don't know (well, I do...), but I certainly wish I could better convey this. Second, the names don't really make sense because they describe different states; niche and viable,  describe circumstances, whereas core and prime could be said describe a hierarchy. This doesn't really make sense as prime tier heroes are certainly viable, and as niche tier heroes can outperform so-called prime heroes under the right circumstances. Third, the system does not account for player skill level differences or regional preferences.

      I lack the data to sort heroes by league (bronze, silver, etc.), but even if I did have enough data, it would hardly tells the whole story (refer to the Genji anecdote above). The tiering system I'm considering goes like this, however:

      Metagame defining
      General pick
      Counter-pick
      Situational (map/team composition dependent)

      I'd probably add a Ban-worthy tag to certain heroes. For instance, I'd never ban Zagara over Chromie despite considering her generally stronger. Furthermore, I'd consider giving some heroes + and - tags to provide a certain sense of perceived power, though I'll have to consider carefully.

      As for the metagame discussion, it'll be coming shortly, as per usual. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone feels about the changes.
    • By Stan
      Heroic Deals for the week of June 26 include two Overwatch Heroes—D.Va & Tracer. In addition to that, the Piggy Bank mount will become purchasable for 7,000 Gold until July 23 and the the Great Razorgrin mount will be removed from the Collection.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Heroic Deals: June 26 – July 2, 2018
      Our next set of Heroic Deals will begin on Tuesday, June 26! Check out the list of upcoming featured items and Hero discounts below. Upcoming Hero Sales
      Tracer — Sale Price: 375 gems D.Va — Sale Price: 375 Gems The following skins and mounts will be added to the featured item rotation and will become purchasable with gems until this round of Heroic Deals comes to an end: Upcoming Featured Skins
      Death Aspect Alexstrasza D.Va the Life-Binder Silver Angelic Valla Dominion Medic Uther Blood Raven Sylvanas Amber Ghost Tracer Upcoming Featured Mounts
      Thunder Star Chariot Blessed Judgment Charger Gold Mounts
      The following Gold Mount changes will take place once this week’s round of Heroic Deals begins: Piggy Bank — Will become purchasable for 7,000 gold until July 23. Great Razorgrin — Will no longer be purchasable in the Collection.
    • By Stan
      Industrial District is a single-lane Overwatch-themed Battleground with shuffle pick and standard play. The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins. Complete 2 matches to earn a Loot Chest.
      Blizzard (Source)
      This week’s Heroes Brawl is Industrial District! Slide around and slug it out in the heart of Volskaya in this Overwatch-themed, single-lane Battleground featuring lots of conveyor belts and tons of action.
      Rules:
      Shuffle pick - Choose from one of three Heroes before entering the battle. Standard play - no talent or level restrictions. The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins! Rewards:
      Complete two matches of the Industrial District Brawl to earn a Loot Chest! Find out more about the Heroes Brawl game mode on our Heroes Brawl site; and as always, you can find more information on this week’s Brawl by clicking the Brawl Info button at the bottom of the play screen when preparing to queue for the Brawl game mode.
    • By Stan
      It took a good while, but Heroes of Storm Highlights return with episode 110 of WTF Moments.
      In this video, we've got Alexstrasza miraculously surviving D.Va's Self-Destruct, Garrosh using Blaze's Bunker Drop to escape enemy forts after Stitches used Gorge on him, or Kel'Thuzad executing his Shadow Fissure at the right time to kill an escaping Falstad!
      Let us know your favorite moment in the comments down below and don't forget to submit your replays here for a chance to be featured in an upcoming episode!
      Previous Episodes
      WTF Moments Episode 109 WTF Moments Episode 108 WTF Moments Episode 106 & 107
    • By Stan
      The number of Battlegrounds available in non-Ranked play modes has been reduced until July 9, in order to maximize each player's exposure to Alterac Pass. The change does not affect Ranked Play, as Alterac Pass won't be available until the week of July 9 there.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Attention, recruits! We’ve received updated orders from the front in Alterac. The Horde and Alliance have finished setting up their forward operating bases in the Pass, so it’s time to take the battlefield by storm. We hope your training exercises with General Vanndar or General Drek’Thar have been successful, because Alterac Pass is now available for play in all non-ranked game modes, including Custom Games.
      NON-RANKED BATTLEGROUND POOLS TEMPORARILY REDUCED
      In order to maximize each soldier’s exposure to Alterac Pass, the number of Battlegrounds available for play in Versus A.I., Quick Match, and Unranked matchmaking queues have been temporarily reduced. This reduction will remain in place until the Echoes of Alterac event concludes on July 9. All of the Battlegrounds removed from the non-ranked pool will remain available for play in Custom Games.
      REDUCED BATTLEGROUND POOL Alterac Pass Braxis Holdout Cursed Hollow Dragon Shire Infernal Shrines Tomb of the Spider Queen Please note: Hero League and Team League Battleground pools have not been adjusted, as Alterac Pass will not be available in ranked play until the week of July 9.
      Grab your gear, set your loadouts, and report immediately to Alterac Pass for additional orders from your faction's General. We’ll see you on the front lines!