Lily

Arcane VS Fire in Legion?

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

So I was playing my mage in WoD as arcane and was very happy with it. Know the prepatch came and I was nearly forced to switch to fire to stay on top.

But I think playing fire was more fun in "the old days" and now I am really struggeling what to play in Legion. On the other hand seems arcane really complicated now with Quickening and the conserve phase.

My question is, if anyone knows if arcane will become stronger again with Legion or won't it be worth playing?

Greetings and thanks in advance!

Edited by Lily

Arcane should be fine in Legion, it's just really far behind in the pre-patch because Fire gets ridiculous synergy from Flame Patch and the class trinket.  It's too tough to say if it will be strong though since things are still in tuning, and will be in tuning even at launch.  No numbers anyone gives is reliable to how things will be in raids, but it probably is a safe bet Fire will be better for a while.  Arcane WAY outscales Fire though, Quickening is one of the strongest scaling mechanics because of how it works with more mastery paired with missile proc rate from the Artifact + Relics etc.

Edited by Zhelix

From what I've read in the class Discord, with the artifacts and everything else Fire will still be the superior Mage spec in the beginning of Legion (unless they decide to nerf it with hotfixes).

Arcane scales very well with gear and usually shines in the end of an expansion. But the same is true for Fire too. With the artifacts, though, I think Arcane will definitely be better than Frost (which looks pretty dead atm) and will certainly be the second best spec.

I am not sure how old a player you are, but Legion Fire is very close to the "old days" you are talking about. It's very close to how it used to be in Wotlk, arguably one of the best (if not the best) periods for the spec.

TL;DR: Fire is and will remain extremely strong, it is very far ahead from both other specs.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys!

I made my choise and will start with Fire and keep watching which changes are coming and when it will maybe be time to switch to Arcane again.

Looking forward to Legion ^_^

Right now arcane is OK spec but fire is stronger. 

However I tend to believe (very strongly though)  that arcane will eventually beat fire due to scalling of items. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.

If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 905~ ilvl
      - 50+ traits.
      - 8 or more mythic kills in NH.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM.
      Mage: Frost.
      Warlock: Affliction.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By KenDx
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/Feufou/advanced
      Hello. This is my first time posting here. I'd like to ask for yer advice on what should I aim to do with my Fire mage, and how do I enhance my performance with it, specially on single target dps. 
      I believe my problem are my current secondary stats/equipment, my legendary choices and my trinkets, in that order of priority. I'd love to hear your input on any or all of these aspects and see how could I improve.
      1) My current stats are 38% crit (turns into 53% base), 20% haste, and 12% mastery. From what I understand, Mastery should be over Haste. I also have a 2-set from Nighthold (I also have the gear for a 4-set but I think the 4-set bonus isn't worth the enormous loss on ilvl). Is this reasoning correct to you? What do you think I should aim to get next to better improve my toon? I do already have a Back piece that would take my 2-set bonus away but is a 15% upgrade (Pawn), 20 ilvls above the current back. 
      2) I've got 6 legendaries: Belo'vir's Last Stand (Chest), Marquee Bindings of the Sun King (Wrists), Pyrotex Ignition Cloth (Hands), Norgannon's Foresight (Feet), Sephuz's Secret (Ring) and Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish (Trinket). I usually use the gloves and ring for AoE situations, and gloves and trinket for single target. My most recent legendary are the wrists, and I have to assume it'll drastically improve my single target dps, but I actually see my numbers go down rather than up, at least when practicing with dummy targets. 
      These is my "replacement" gear for each part as of now, if it helps:
      Chest - 875 Vers/Mast NH set or 910 Vers/Crit
      Wrists - 905 Crit/Vers
      Hands - 890 Crit/Haste
      Feet - 890 Mast/Haste
      Ring - 900 Vers/Mast
      Trinket - 895 Star Gate, 895 Deteriorated Construct Core, 890 Icon of Rot, 885 Whispers in the Dark.
      3) My main trinkets are made for AoE, having Whispers of the Dark for a potential increase in single target dps, and legendary trinket. What other trinkets should I strive to get for better performance there? Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and help me. I'll truly appreciate any advice.
    • By Matix
      Hello guys,
      I have been having trouble with my toon... For some reason my DPS outside of Metamorphosis is really, REALLY low. Like 400k whereas I'm overall 900iLevel.
      You can look up my Armory here:
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/emeriss/Xymeria/simple
      If the link does not work, please check me out Xymeria-Emeriss - Europe.
      I have all of the pieces the Top Demon hunters in Wowprogress do, except a little bit lower iLevel and maybe some improvements can be done to my Gloves and Boots, I hadn't had much luck with legendaries ( I have the defensive DH chest, Burning Fist Trinket and the last one I got is the Cascading Eyes ( Head ) - I don't have the Ring which EVERYONE BUT ME HAS....
      I'm having huge issues with generating enough fury to dish out enough DPS. I have enough Crit and Mastery, my haste is a little low, but not that much. 
      When I'm in Meta, Nemesis and Artifact are on.. I dish out around 1300. But without meta it's all downhill from there.
      Please give me some advise on how to improve my DPS.