FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vaellian

Arms warrior mastery at ilvl

So on the stat priority page it says that mastery is even above strength. I've been following that for awhile, but i noticed simcraft released a legion version and i always love using it for myself. my question is that when i ran my stat scailings in simcraft, i got

Str: 1
AP: .95
Haste: .91
Mastery: .86

I'd link armory but i noticed that blizzard hasn't seemed to updated their armory. im getting my 725 ilvl Pre-patch char

because of the way our mastery works, is this difference in the stats caused by the fact that Pots are Proc based damage (thus increasing in damage with mastery) The neck enchant is a Proc damage, our 2 BiS trinkets are also proc damage, and paladin Greater blessing of Might, if given to us. is proc damage

The Simcraft official dps ranking has the warrior is 2k stats all around and 13k mastery. so there's definately something to it

Edited by Vaellian

That is odd. I checked the stat the days right around Legion's launch (Both before and after) and it was like this:

Str > Haste > Mastery > Vers > Crit

I specifically remember this, since Prot didn't have Str as number 1, but otherwise the priority was pretty much the same (Haste > Master > Vers > Str > Crit), and I wanted to level as Prot AND Arms.

In other words, this has been changed very, very recently (In the last 2-3 days or so), but I don't understand the change. How can any stat be above the Main Stat (Str) for a DPS spec? I know CS is awesome and everything, but can it really be *that* good?

Haven't run any sims myself. Maybe I should....

Also, other sites don't seem to agree with the new priority of stats. Maybe they haven't been updated to Legion?

Edit: Also, I don't get how Overpower is at a higher priority than Mortal Strike. I've done several sequences now of dungeons, questing etc and MS is ALWAYS higher damage than OP. And I'm not just talking like 10% more. It's way more.

Edited by Razid

Overpower hits harder on a per-hit basis. Mortal strike just has more total number of hits, so it does more damage overall.

And yeah. i'm pretty sure it has to do with the proc damage based trinkets and neck enchant. since the damage isn't coming from your hits directly but damage from trinkets and enchants that aren't effected by strength, mastery becomes stronger

I currently have an average ilvl of 839, and my MS hits harder than OP. It's also used more often because of the Tactician.

I just spend about 5-10 mins bashing at the Lesser Sparring Partner, in the Class Hall. With a 98% Activity, and about 130k ST DPS, I got these results: 

http://imgur.com/a/4r8sk

Mortal Strike avg hit: 250k - Almost 32% of total dmg (Number 1) -  About 61% crit

Overpower avg hit: 225,8k - About 18% of total dmg (Even under Whirlwind, my filler) - About 65% crit

And this is all with prioritizing OP over MS, at all time, and with OP even having slightly better RNG for crits, than MS.

I think the logic behind it has something to do with the resets from Tactician, but mathematically, I just fail to see how it would increase the DPS to do so.

WoWScrnShot_090916_113204.jpg

Edited by Razid
Update about 2nd test

I just tried to beat the living shit out of another Sparring Partner for about 5 mins (Like literally, he despawned). Only this time, I went with MS > OP, and I might have gotten slightly better RNG, but I got these results:

http://imgur.com/a/kILDE

About 140k DPS and now with MS on over 33% of the total dmg, and OP only at about 17%.

I'm starting to see a pattern. More testing is needed though.

WoWScrnShot_090916_115021b.jpg

Edited by Razid
More info

I can see though, that on the second round MS' avg is 251k and OP's avg is 257k. Interesting how it's still performing so poorly.

So assuming you're not running Focused Rage here, but do have the weapon talents for MS: 

CS -> MS(CS buffed) -> Overpower -> MS(regular) -> Fill

Basically, any time you proc tactician you should be MSing the buff, if it procs another tactician, rinse repeat. If it doesn't, and overpower is up, overpower. If overpower isn't up and you didn't just CS then you can burn your leftover MS charges. After that you can slam off any excess rage, but don't starve yourself.

Compare your non-Shattered Defenses mortal strikes with overpower. You'll find Overpower crit rate destroys it, along with having a higher average damage.

It depends on the armor of the target. the fact that OP has an innate 60% increase to crit is generally what makes it stronger as you wont always have shattered defence up for Mortal strike

A little update:

I ran my Arms Warrior through SimulationCraft, with the ingame addon (including Artifact weapons), and here are the results I got:

1. Haste - 1.27

2. Strength - 1

3. Mastery - 0.95

4. Versatility - 0.7

5. Crit - 0.5

I'm quite surprised that Haste is so much better than Mastery, since Mastery seem to be absolutely king according to Icy-Veins. I've been going for Mastery for a week or so, and now have 845 ilvl, with 6977 Mastery and 4814 Haste.

How come the stats from Icy-Veins are so much different? I know the 7k vs 5k makes a difference, but can it really be that much? Or is there maybe something wrong with the stat priority on Icy-Veins? :o

Edited by Razid

I honestly don't believe in the whole haste>Mastery thing. But then again I play with Focused Rage. I have around 72% mastery and only 10% haste at 841ilvl with an 875 wep, this was done pre-focused rage nerf. On the first boss of Maw of Souls, with Hero.

WoWScrnShot_091216_171255.jpg

Edited by omgcows

I play with Focused Rage as well, but I generally do about 250k DPS ST, without BL. But whether you believe it or not, should be irrelevant. What does the math say? Have you run any simulations?

What's more is that, as you said yourself, that was pre-nerf. On top of that, you should be on top:

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Razid

On 9/4/2016 at 8:56 AM, Vaellian said:

So on the stat priority page it says that mastery is even above strength. 

You must run the focused rage build to take advantage of this.

On 9/14/2016 at 1:12 PM, omgcows said:

I honestly don't believe in the whole haste>Mastery thing. But then again I play with Focused Rage. 

The misconception here is not that haste is necessarily better than mastery. It's that you must hit at least 20% haste to get an extra CD in during battle cry. This will dramatically improve DPS. If you can't meet the 20% minimum requirement, mastery is still king, by far.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2016 at 9:09 AM, Nomiras said:

You must run the focused rage build to take advantage of this.

The misconception here is not that haste is necessarily better than mastery. It's that you must hit at least 20% haste to get an extra CD in during battle cry. This will dramatically improve DPS. If you can't meet the 20% minimum requirement, mastery is still king, by far.

This is the best answer I've seen on the haste / mastery subject by far. Thanks!

When you look at simmed graphs, it's interesting to see just how far Haste climbs at that point and then plummets afterwards. Will see how it goes after the changes next week and if it affects it.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:48 PM, Blitzkrieg said:

This is the best answer I've seen on the haste / mastery subject by far. Thanks!

The only problem is that 20% assumes no lag and perfect execution. Realistically, as it's been tested, the comfortable point (adjusting for latency) is anywhere from 23% - 25%.

• Like 1