Thundorn

Disc Priest Final Thoughts

4 posts in this topic

I finally grew a pair and took my Disc priest into some pugs and decided to write some notes on my experience.

First observation was that Leap of faith comes in a lot more useful than it should. Because so many mobs now drop "shite" on the floor, not just bosses, and because there are so many people who seem completely oblivious to that purple / green / swirly thing they are standing in, you find yourself pulling them out of it a lot. As my main is a ret pally, it is sad to say that it is predominantly Melee dps who are the culprits for this one, and the overwhelming majority seem to be Demon hunters (not sure if this indicates that a larger number of idiots are playing DH class or or if I just experienced an unbalanced number of them on the day)

Atonement healing: Atonement healing is a great mechanic, but it only works if you plan well in advance. Discipline priests are not and never have been reactive healers, they have always been pro-active, and nothing has changed, now however instead of making sure your bubbles are refreshed, you are now making sure that your atonement is refreshed, so that you can spam your DPS rotation to keep those green numbers flowing. It is not worth keeping atonement up on everyone unless the entire group is taking aoe damage. As long as the tank is doing their job, the only people who should require attention are the tank themselves and the Melee dps who stray into cleave damage or damage pools. If you try to keep atonement up on everyone all the time you will have mana problems, as Plea gets more expensive the more people are buffed.

Shadow mend: Shadow mend is your panic button. for those times when that Melee DPS just wont get out of the damaging pool, or stands in cleave damage, and their health takes a sharp drop, provided you have planned ahead, you should be able to throw in a couple of shadow mends whilst your DOT ticks keep everyone else topped up via atonement. Remembering of course that for as long as you are in combat, Shadowmend also applies a dot on your target, which can be countered with atonement healing but it is worth keeping an eye on them just in case they continue to take high damage for whatever reason. Your healing priorities are still Tank > Yourself > DPS (or Yourself > tank > dps if you are so enclined) so if you are having to spam shadow mend and bubble on a DPS (thus preventing you from atonement healing everyone else) sooner or later your mana will run out and you will just have to let natural selection run its course.

Pain supression: to be honest I didn't need to use this often in dungeons, most tanks are pretty self sufficient in mitigating damage themselves, so its worth keeping it bound to a convenient key as a "just in case" buff, which based on my experience so far, is more likely to be needed by a melee dps than a tank. until the raids go live anyway. 

Overall, Disc healing pugs was a challenge, and quite frantic at times, and you do take some schtick for pulling idiots out of danger but better than than taking if for letting them die. This was certainly one of the most fun healer specs ive ever played, and once i have more experience and better gear, i can imagine it will be even more so.

As much as I am confident in the balancing of Discs by Blizzard, I still always feel slightly less safe when one enters my Mythic group. I pull less, pop more cooldowns and generally pay more attention than I would if I had any other healer in my group.

I expect that most other people (those with any sense) probably feel the same. Until we get more practise and prove ourselves capable, its only natural. Disc priests have a big job ahead of them, but the potential for greatness is there i reckon. 

Agreed. Once people get used to it, I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable. Until then, it feels like when MoP had just released and people were trying Mistweaver.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tiqqle
      Hi ya'll - My Mission is to a make EVERYONE comfortable in PvP and have FUN knowing they're playing their class well, and are able to help contribute to the team. This should decrease the amount of griefers, salty dogs, ragers, and quitters in PvP throughout arena / bgs!! It's my goal <3
      Pushing towards that I wanted to share a PvP Guide I've put together breaking down talents, honor talents, and how to do the rotation for Elemental Shaman. I hope it helps you guys and gives you an edge in PvP. I'll be putting together some more to help break more pieces of PVP.
      Elemental shaman are at the BEST place they've been in for PATCHES!! So it's a great time to push rating and try some different comps out!! 
      My top 3v3 comps:
      1) Boom + Ele + MW/Hpal
      2) Destro + Ele + Heals
      3) Sub + Ele + HPriest
      4) Ele + War + Rdruid
      5) Spriest + Ele + Heals
      My top 2v2 comps - anything other than these is kind too hard to handle with how often there are melee in 2v2.
      1) MW + Ele
      2) Rogue + Ele
      3) Ele + Rdruid
      4) Ele + Hpriest
      Let me know what works for you and what doesnt!!
      The future guides will include
      1) Arena Guide - dealing with positioning, when to do damage, communicating , and key addons that will help you
      2) Battleground Guide - what specs work for each map, little tips and tricks per map type, and how to communicate with your teammates well
      3) UI - reviewing how different UI setups can REALLY enhance your pvp gameplay
      4) Keybinds and Macros - Trying to call out the little changes you can make that can make a big difference, and things you may not be thinking about for Macros/keybinds that could blow your mind.
      -Tiqqle
    • By AcidSapphire
      Hello there,

I am trying to find a character that suits me and 'till now i didn't find it..
      I have a Paladin level 110, a Rogue, DH, Warrior and a Druid. I really enjoyed to play Prot. Paladin but i was overwhelmed with all the knowledge i need to know for raids.I have to say that this is the class that i played the most. I have to say that i usually play in weekends and sometimes in week days.
      I enjoyed playing warrior in PVP but, that was it, nothing else..

Two days ago i just got my Druid level 110 and played as Feral (with the intention to play Resto or Guard 'cause i want to be a healer and/or a tank but i found the rotations a little off for me..)

Anyway, my question is, what should i play? I was thinking about a Disc Priest or a Ench/Resto Shaman or a Brew/Mist Monk. I just can't decide what i should play and unfortunately i have to level them from scratch..

Any advice ?

I really need a new perspective 'bout what i should play :)

Thanks!
    • By MarcHethrusWaters
      Maximum Effort is a new guild on Cenarion circle (A). I was the raid leader for my guild for a long time and we built up a strong raid team. Due to do some dis-agreements between me and the guild leader I was forced to leave. But luckly enough a lot of my team followed me! We're working to build a guild focused around team work and group progression. We love doing mythics, raids, talking and theory crafting about the game!
      We have a very strong-core raid group, capable of clearing heroic and doing some mythic but we're just missing a few people to round it out!
      Raid nights.. Tue/wed 6-830pm server (9:30-11:30 est) Off night Monday 6-830pm server (9-11:30 est)
      Looking for.. -Any and all dps specs
      - Non pally or holy priest healer!
      All raid mats and needs are covered by guild, we run personal look just for the ease of it.
      My btag is Hethrus#1504 if you have questions or wish to try out!
    • By CountPacula
      I'm not quite sure what's going on, but for some reason, I have yet to pull ANY Priest cards out of the thirty or so packs of KFT that I've opened so far. The only KFT Priest card that I have at all is Shadowreaper Anduin, which I got for completing the prologue. It's not that I'm getting bad pulls in general - I've pulled multiple legendaries already, and have lots of cards for every other class.
      I suspect that I'm just having an odd run of luck, but it does seem to be a bit anomalous. What -are- the chances of not getting any cards from a particular class out of thirty packs?

• By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Kazakus Priest Deck List Guide.