FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

The Real Enemy May Not Be Sargeras?

3I3Cn5X.jpg

Il'gynoth whispers suggest a very different endgame for WoW.

I'm a bit of a lore enthusiast, but the kind that doesn't really dig in too deep and really hates that most of the important and deeper information about the Warcraft universe is presented in ancillary sources outside of the game like the books, comics and (seriously, why...) audio dramas. My guild didn't quite make it to Il'gynoth in the Emerald Nightmare yet, but apparently he spills the beans on some serious lore-related information and luckily, we have intrepid interpreters from reddit that gathered all the available info and gave us the possible meanings of these whispers you get from the boss. Obviously, spoilers ahead:

• "The boy-king serves at the master's table. Three lies he will offer you."
  • "Flesh is his gift. He is your true creator."
  • "The king of diamonds has been made a pawn."
  • "Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path"
  • "Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it."
  • "To find him, drown yourself in a circle of stars."
  • "The lord of ravens will turn the key."
  • "At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming".

Now there have been many interpretations on what all this means and redditor thevyrd gathered them all up and also gave us his (very good) interpretation of what they mean. It's a long read but well worth it if you care even a little about the overall story of Warcraft and what exactly is happening in the background of all of our "heroic" deeds.

There's too much to quote here and snippets wouldn't really help in most of the explanations for the lines, but I have to share this one as it basically casts a huge shadow over everything we're doing in Legion:

"The king of diamonds has been made a pawn."
Magni Bronzebeard was the King of Ironforge. He got freaky with some ritual. His skin is now diamonds. He woke up. He "speaks to azeroth". Uh huh...I'm sure it's Azeroth hes speaking to. Oh yea he also told us to get the FIVE Pillars of Creation.

Honestly, whether you like lore or not you should check out this post and read through it all, it has some very fascinating theories that are actually very likely to be true.

• Like 5

Just to note that I have to completely disagree with his take on Jaina and think it's more likely the "heart" refers to Azeroth the titan.

I've been chomping at the bit ever since this expansion came out for reasoning behind this path.  It makes sense, being tied into WoD's end, yad yada yada...

But what was the purpose of the Legion?  To wipe out life.  Because somewhere I had read that it was another, unseen force that was looking to do something even more insidious with that life than the legion just simply ending it. 

When I saw Il'Gynoth I was partially interest-piqued...  Then I heard him talking and I went full-bore nerdgasm.

• Like 1

Except for his analysis of: Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it.

I think his analysis is good. He's biaised on the Naaru but that's ok since we don't really know their motivations and his analysis is making some sense.

I'm pretty sure the " At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming " may refer to Sylvanas. This one is the one puzzling me the most but the hypothesis of Azeroth "dying" for the third time is true but she's not really dying. Not like the Banshee Queen...

Well if we're talking about Old Gods. Then this reference could mean Sylvanas. It is rumored that there is an old god buried either near or under undercity and that it whispers to her corrupting her. An if you look at her backstory and lore then it does make sense and fit. 

2 minutes ago, Lhoken said:

Well if we're talking about Old Gods. Then this reference could mean Sylvanas. It is rumored that there is an old god buried either near or under undercity and that it whispers to her corrupting her. An if you look at her backstory and lore then it does make sense and fit. 

I believe it was confirmed that this was not an old god, but something else.

5 hours ago, Starym said:

To find him, drown yourself in a circle of stars.

I hope this leads to the fire mage hidden artifact appearance too. Sounds like that.

• "The lord of ravens will turn the key."

I think this refers to Lord Jorach Ravenholdt from rogue orderhall or lord kur'talos ravencrest in black rook hold.

What do you think?

Edited by Arrown

2 hours ago, Arrown said:

I think this refers to Lord Jorach Ravenholdt from rogue orderhall or lord kur'talos ravencrest in black rook hold.

What do you think?

Odyn, I'd say.

"The lord of ravens will turn the key."
Kurtalos Ravencrest is just too obvious. Who else is associated with ravens?

Anzu, the Raven Lord.

Pretty sure Medivh will make a comeback and be the Lord Of Ravens, we even fight a shade of Medivh in 7.1. At the end of WC3 magical saviour ghost Medihv just vanishes, I think that since he's still the Guardian he'll come back in Azeroth's darkest hour. Blizz have -really- been pushing his character lately, in the film, in Heroes Of The Storm and now in the first content patch of Legion.

1 hour ago, Valhalen said:

Anzu, the Raven Lord.

"You! You killed me in Sethekk halls every week for 2 years!"

"What? NO, you cannot ride me.  WTF?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arrown said:

What do you think?

My bet is either Medivh cos of 7.1 etc or Khadgar, which is the most direct and obvious one as he is the one orchestrating the hunt for the pillars and sealing the tomb.

Odyn may technically be titled as the Lord of Ravens but he really doesn't have much of anything to do with the Legion or the Old Gods. That may change in the Trial of Valor raid tho.

9 hours ago, Starym said:

Odyn may technically be titled as the Lord of Ravens but he really doesn't have much of anything to do with the Legion or the Old Gods. That may change in the Trial of Valor raid tho.

I suppose neither did some of the other Watchers, but Yogg still managed to get his hands on them.

Uncommon Patron

I don't buy it.

The Old Gods have always tried to lie to us and psych us out. Why should we think they're suddenly being all altruistic and revealing their plans this time?

On 9/23/2016 at 11:40 AM, PatrickHenry said:

I've been chomping at the bit ever since this expansion came out for reasoning behind this path.  It makes sense, being tied into WoD's end, yad yada yada...

But what was the purpose of the Legion?  To wipe out life.  Because somewhere I had read that it was another, unseen force that was looking to do something even more insidious with that life than the legion just simply ending it. 

When I saw Il'Gynoth I was partially interest-piqued...  Then I heard him talking and I went full-bore nerdgasm.

the void lords. Its the whole reason the legion runs rampant. When sargeras found out about the void lords he realized the only way to keep them at bay was to raze the cosmos. The only way he could think to do it was release the legion, and in shattering the prison world he became corruped by fel energy.

He's that typical story of the guy that was so obsessed with eradicating the Void Lords and their servants, that he decided to destroy everything to stop it becoming corrupted. 

Seems pretty excessive, like, calm down man.

• Like 1

I did Xavis with the guild on normal and hc and still I dislike Il´gynoth the most. This boss is a nightmare in.....wait a second I see what you did there blizzard ^^. But anyway the lore of him is quite interesting and his whispers remind of bosses like C´thun and other old gods, which I think is quite awesome.  Though I still dare say, that the boss fight itself made me very furious indeed, the damned debuff was annoying, especially if you are a caster.

All in all I do appreciate what they did with the emerald nightmare and do think it is quite a nice raid.

4 hours ago, hochstepanzerjager said:

I'd like to point out he may be onto something with Kurtalos though. The European  name for a Raven is a Rook.

I just feel like it's too simple. They're evidently trying to pose a riddle, so why make it so easy?

Personally, I'd love to find out that this is somehow linked to Anzu and the prophecy of the Raven God.

Nice article!

Was already on track of the Old Gods, as some of the event in legion link right in to them:

• The pillars of creation were the tools used by the titans to seal away the Old Gods.
    So as in the article it makes sense that their pawns send us out to find the pillars to "stop the Legion", once that job is done we will be fighting to keep the pillars out of the Old Gods hands (or tentacles, mouths, whatever limbs they have)
  • Queen Azhara was created (from an Elven queen to a Naga) by N'Zoth
  • Xavius was created (from an Elf to a satyr) by N'Zoth
  • The Emerald Nightmare is created by N'Zoth 

You feel where I am going here, N'Zoth is the man, or rather God, that links in the story too many times to be coincidence.
He also layes dormant in the sunken city of Ny'alotha, his conscious seeping in to the Dream as the Nightmare.
As reffered to a sleeping ans drowning creature, also remark the death shriek of Il'Gynoth, he mentions a place he is going to after his death... *wink wink*

Edited by Tectonn