Agahnim

Shadow Priest vs Mage 7.1

Sign in to follow this  

3 posts in this topic

Hi all. Looking to reroll from Warlock in 7.1. Looking to start right now. I currently have a priest that I've played for around a decade, but I've always wanted to try mages. Right now, I'm judging them based on viability in Heroic/Mythic Raids and high end mythic dungeons. With the projected buff to shadow priest coming with shadowform coming back with a flat 10% damage bonus, do you think priests will be beating fire mages? 

I'm already aware that spriests are weak on mythic+ for lack of aoe, but I have no clue if mages are good at mythic+ either. Just curious if you guys think this 10% boost will bring them up to par. 

tl;dr If I want to do well in mythic raids/dungeons, would you guys recommend shadow priest given the 7.1 buffs, or fire mage?

Unfortunately, predicting a class' viability in a future patch isn't really possible. We can't tell whether the buffs will stay the same. It's at least a few months until 7.1 drops, which means everything could completely change by then. 

I'd say Mage is more reliable to be better, since there are 3 possible specs, so 3 chances to be good. Spriest is either good or bad.

I'm pretty sure Shadow Priests are weaker than Mages in Mythic+. Mages have less ramp-up and better AoE.

I think it's pretty clear that there will be more adjustments from Blizzard when it comes to Shadow priests, at least regarding S2M. They pretty much said it themselves when they published their revised changes that this is not their end goal changes but that they don't want to change too much too fast.

Quoting a guy from Reddit who said it pretty well:

A few days ago I had my doubts, but their walkback seems more in-line. Surrender to Madness (S2M) is going to get nerfed. There is no doubt, so know going in that of all the classes, specs, and talents, it is in the tier1 group for changes. It will be changed, and that change will lower its potential. How they plan on doing it, no one can really say. But what it appears from the most recent notes is that they are not completely blind to SPriest problems outside of S2M. As predicted by many S2M has caused a problem with balancing the class.

In short, the rollercoaster ride is far from over. If you are a SPriest, or plan to play one; buckle-up buckaroos

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Caldyrvan
      I am glad I'm watching Chump because not only he's an inspiration but also because I was browsing through the standard priest deck lists provided here and even though it's a long list they are all pretty much the same (many of them no fun anymore, at least to me and def. no fun to play against) and I get the feeling lately Icy Veins tries to provide the most expensive decks only. No doubt they are effective and successful but as I said, getting bored and it's kind of bad for every new player visiting this page and just seeing (s)he has to play longer than some cards take to rotate out of standard to acquire a viable deck. 
      So, I was wondering why are the no decks like the following in this list, something wrong with adding such decks? Of course you can't add every possible deck type/variation but with a dozen Highlander and Dragon priest decks already being in this list there should be room for at least one or two others.
      All credit goes to Chump for this deck, I'm just posting it as well as his first video with it.
      Budget Aggro Priest: Total dust cost 1600.
      With all of the cards being basic, common or rare we can assume most players have most of the cards maybe a few to craft. Pretty cheap imo.
      2x Emerald Reaver 2x Northshire Cleric 2x Potion of Madness 2x Power Word: Shield 2x Voodoo Doctor 2x Golakka Crawler 2x Radiant Elemental 2x Shadow Ascendant 1x Deathspeaker 2x Happy Ghoul 2x Kabal Talonpriest 2x Auchenai Soulpriest 2x Keening Banshee 1x Darkscale Healer 2x Sunborne Val'kyr 2x Bonemare Deck Code: AAECAa0GAsYEmssCDoQB7QHlBPIMtbsC8LsC2MEC3cIC5MICyMsCzswCn84Cps4ClegCAA==
      He was playing 2 version of this deck with the other being a bit more expensive using Genzo, the Shark and Leeroy Jenkins instead of the 2 Auchenai Soulpriest.
      Have Fun :)
      -> Budget Cannibal Warlock

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho
    • By Deadman
      I dont know why my dps is so low thought someone on here could help me 
    • By capimeista
      hello everyone,
      i feel like im doing way to low dmg in my hc raids could some of you take a look at my logs and see if im doing something wrong.
      i already know my legendary ice time isnt the best but i dont have another.
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dXFRr843LvBVNTpk/#type=damage-done&boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=5
      my thanks.
    • By Ashiraya
      Hello! My priest https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/argent-dawn/lilein has amassed quite the collection of trinkets and I am not sure which ones to pick. 
      I have:
      925 Naraxas' Spiked Tongue with socket
      910 int/haste stat stick with speed
      915 Tarnished Sentinel Medallion
      915 Terror From Below
      915 Charm of the Rising Tide
      Which ones are best? I usually look at the guides for this kind of thing but strangely the spriest guide lacks trinket recommendations. :(