Stan

Limit Interview

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

LmvGXCE.jpg

An interview with the guild Limit,  the first clearer of the Emerald Nightmare raid on Mythic difficulty in Americas.

Now that the race for world firsts has come to a close, I've interviewed Limit (Illidan - US), the first guild to clear the Emerald Nightmare Raid on Mythic difficulty in Americas. The guild was also very successful in the previous expansion clearing Tier 18 content as you may remember.

All questions were answered directly by Limit's Guild Master Jetjaguarex, who mains a Shadow Priest. I'd like to thank him for taking the time and wish the best of luck in the Nighthold!

Blizzard LogoLimit Inteview

How do you like Legion so far?

I am really enjoying Legion so far in terms of the quality of the game. What I really struggled with was the constant grind up until Emerald Nightmare was cleared. While it is disappointing that the tier was so easy for us, I am glad I get to relax and enjoy the game a lot more now in preparation for the Nighthold.

Are you yourself an Icy-Veins user?

I use Icy-Veins from time to time for my alts for quick references. The transmog section is also pretty cool!

Do you think adding Diablo-esque features such as Mythic+, World Quests and the random option to get Warforged/Titanforged gear or legendary drops will make the game feel fresh long-term?

To an extent, yes. I think Mythic+ is a great addition to the game as long as Blizzard can keep adding more dungeons to Mythic+ as the expansion progresses. Its nice to run dungeons like this, but if they are the same ones, they will start to get stale. As far as titanforging goes, I like the design that it’s a way to reward you for doing any content if you’re lucky enough, but I think it has too strong of a hand in raiding.

Have you made use of this "alternative raiding method" to gear up for Mythic Difficulty, assuming one Heroic clear wasn't probably sufficient to gear up for the World First race? What's the highest Mythic+ dungeon you've cleared? Do you think we could talk about metas aka. the ideal class combos for more efficient clearing of high-end Mythic+ dungeons? If so, which classes perform best in your experience for clearing Mythic+?

We made extensive use of Mythic+ to gear up for Mythic Emerald Nightmare. The highest Mythic+ dungeon I’ve done is “2 chesting” a level 9 mythic. Other people in my guild have done up to 11. I know there are some on our server that have done 12. 

As far as ideal class combos go, I think anything can clear up to Mythic 10. However, things like Fire Mage, Havoc Demon Hunter (before nerfs), MM/BM Hunter, Resto druid, and Windwalker Monk were by far and away the best classes for comfortably dealing with these dungeons

Do you think Artifact Power grinding discourages alt leveling? There's so much to do in Legion with just a single character.

I am the resident alt lord of Limit, so of course I don’t necessarily think it’s that bad. If you’re preparing for the Race, then it is definitely very difficult keeping up with alts. If you’re a more casual player, I don’t think it’s too bad. I think if Suramar dungeon unlocks were account wide, it would go a long way towards not making alts so rough to keep up with. I think Artifact Power is not a huge deal as far as alt leveling goes due to the sheer amount of AP you can get from Mythic+.

Do you enjoy quests that were added with each profession or consider them a nuisance?

I enjoyed the quests the very first time around, but after that they are pretty annoying to deal with because you just want to get your patterns quickly. If Blizzard could add some way to just learn all the patterns at X level of profession for some increased gold price, that would be great. 

Do you think the Blood of Sargeras vendor addition will ruin the game's economy (rendering at least crafting professions obsolete)?

It has already been nerfed in a recent PTR build, so I think Blizzard is wary of how strong this vendor is. I don’t think it’ll render crafting professions obsolete, but rather greatly affect the price of things on the AH. Potions on Illidan are upwards of 600-900g per, with them being much more expensive on other servers so I think it will help out a lot. Crafting costs seem like they are so much more now than they ever were before.

How many legendary drops have you seen thus far?

I have 2 legendary drops. One of them is very good for my class while the other one is the generic legendary ring that everyone can use. 

Has your guild been lucky with Legendary drops so far?

We had around 4 on mains going into Heroic week, but then they started raining down from the heavens. We have at least 1 legendary on every single raider with maybe half of them having multiple. I have noticed that my guild was getting legendary drops like crazy while some of the more casual players in our guild as well as my casual friend didn’t really receive any. I assume this has to do with the amount of time all our raiders have spent playing.

It was really interesting to watch US guilds battle for first kills. First there is <Easy> who claimed two World Firsts (Nythendra/Elerethe), then there's <Midwinter> who also got 2 (Ursoc/Dragons) and you, who claimed the last three bosses. What was the point at which it stopped being such a close race?

We did split heroic runs first, so by the time we zoned into Mythic, three bosses had already been defeated between <Easy> and <Midwinter>. At some point, both these guilds had to do their split heroics as well, so this is when we caught up to them and ultimately passed them at Il’gynoth. As far as I know, Midwinter was always pretty close to us as their boss kills came very shortly after ours. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Emerald Nightmare Mythic showdown comes down to the last three bosses (Il'gynoth, Cenarius & Xavius). What is it that makes these encounters so hard on Mythic (tons of wipes)

Il’gynoth would have been much harder if you couldn’t kill him in a single heart phase. I think any time spent on Il’gynoth by a lot of guilds is probably time before they realized they could one phase the heart. I know we spent an entire night doing that boss the “normal way” until the end of raid when we looked at logs and realized it wouldn’t be hard to one phase the heart. The next day we did so in around 5 pulls. 

Cenarius was a truly difficult encounter in terms of the healing required to deal with all the damage put out on the raid from the mechanics. Brambles is definitely the hardest mechanic to deal with and is probably the sole thing responsible for a lot of wipes for us on that fight. The untrackable nature of that mechanic on top of how easily it blends in with the ground makes it so you really need to pay attention.

Xavius was not hard at all, and a lot of wipes were likely spent on just learning the mechanics that were not in the dungeon journal. This boss took us significantly less pulls than Xavius and the fight is almost not different at all after Phase 1.

How do the fights differ from their Normal/Heroic counterparts ?

• Il'gynoth - Nightmare Ichor explode on the entire raid, leaving a stackable DoT that deals a high amount of damage. In the Heart Phase, the Heart oozes pools of blood that do damage and silence you
  • Cenarius - Allies of Nature that you free from corruption become corrupted when Cenarius calls the next wave of them. There is also a frontal cleave mechanic that forces tank swaps, as well as a mechanic in the last phase that involves two lines of monsters that sweep across the platform
  • Xavius - You must choose who goes into the Dream Simulacrum rather than going into it automatically. Five zones spawn around the room for one player each to go into the Dream Simulacrum that, if not soaked, spawn a Corruption Horror. This happens at four different HP intervals. Other mechanics exist but are extremely trivial.

How many pulls did you approximately have on each boss?

• Il'gynoth - ~30
  • Cenarus - ~120
  • Xavius - ~20

What's your ideal roster for this expansion? (Healers/DPS-wise)? Are there any classes you think are currently undertuned and not perform as well in Mythic progression?

I think we went into this expansion with 6 healers and 17 DPS. We had a ranged DPS leaning roster for most of this progression. As far as classes that are currently undertuned, we did not have anyone playing any of the more undertuned classes, so it’s tough for me to answer that one. 

Did you have to make a lot of roster changes before downing Xavius?

No, Xavius was not hard enough to warrant any huge roster changes. We just brought whoever in. 

Let's talk addons! Are there any special addons you're using for raiding apart from the standard ones, (like DBM/Skada/Recount/Bartender) that aren't as well-known, but you'd recommend them to other fellow raiders?

Everyone in our guild uses Weak Auras and Exorsus Raid Tools. Other than that, we all play with the standard raiding Addons. 

Are you guys currently recruiting new members or is your roster set-in-stone for this expansion?

Our roster is pretty set for the most part but we are always looking for exceptional players regardless of what they play. 

What makes an ideal candidate?

A good candidate is someone who has a good attitude, is a good player (obviously) and is very good at playing multiple classes. 

Finally here's the full-size version of the kill screenshot.

CtpNiKqWgAA6L1k.jpg

Wait what, "World First in America"? There's only one "world" and only one "World First". What Limit did is "America First".

Edited by rowaasr13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rowaasr13 said:

Wait what, "World First in America"? There's only one "world" and only one "World First". What Limit did is "America First".

Thank you for pointing that out, corrected!

On 3.10.2016 at 2:36 PM, Stan said:

Now that the race for world firsts has come to a close, I've interviewed Limit (Illidan - US), the first guild to clear the Emerald Nightmare Raid on Mythic difficulty.

Sorry, I know you cleared it up with the note in the sentence before. But this still makes it sound like a world first instead of world 10th.

Not to take anything away from Limit, great job!! I just think you shouldn't take anything away from the faster 9 guilds either.

Cheers!

Edited by Delaroer

38 minutes ago, Delaroer said:

Sorry, I know you cleared it up with the note in the sentence before. But this still makes it sound like a world first instead of world 10th.

Not to take anything away from Limit, great job!! I just think you shouldn't take anything away from the faster 9 guilds either.

Cheers!

Cleared it up, thanks for your feedback.

If you were wondering, the actual world first clear was from a Russian guild by the name of Экзорсус (Exorsus), on the Howling Fjord-EU server

Edited by Masked