FORUMS
Damien

Cross-Realm Zones in Mists of Pandaria

Blizzard Official WoW Blog

Posted Image

In the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria beta, we're introducing a new technology that will enable players to meet up and group with other players in under populated areas of the world such as low level zones or areas that other players may have outleveled or moved on from. This technology will allow players to form a group with other players from within a select pool of realms in order to quest just like they normally would while still allowing the social structures of their home realms to remain intact.

F.A.Q.

Q. Why cross-realm zones?

A. For many years now, the significant majority of the player population online at any given time has consisted mostly of characters at or near the level cap. This has resulted in an environment where characters that are leveling up experience a world that has fewer other players to interact with than what the world was designed for. Cross-realm zones give us the capability to ensure that level-up zones retain a population size that feels more like the high level areas of the game, leading to a more fun play experience for characters of all levels.

Q. How do cross-realm zones work?

A. When you're in a zone that is set as a "cross-realm zone" you'll notice that in addition to the players you'd ordinarily see from your realm, you'll also see (and be able to play with) players from other realms. This will happen seamlessly, and players will be able to group and quest as they normally would with players from their own realm.

Q. How will this work on boats or zeppelins?

A. Usually transitions will occur on area boundaries (think moving from Darkshore to Ashenvale).

Posted Image

Q. Can I form groups with the people I meet in the zone?

A. Yes! You can group and talk to others within the cross-server zone normally though trading will be restricted much as it is within raids, dungeons, or battlegrounds.

Q. Will my cross-realm group be disbanded if we move on to an adjacent zone together, like from Goldshire to Westfall or from Thousand Needles to Feralas?

A. Much like how cross-realm groups currently work, your party won't be disbanded when you move through different zones, though if you're not in the same home realm, you won't be able to see each other if you're in separate zone instances.

Q. Will I be able to group with my friends?

A. Yes, you will be able to group with your Real ID friends, provided they are within the same faction. The functionality works the same as it does for cross-realm dungeons, raids, or Battlegrounds.

Q. What level range do my friends and I have to be within in order to group?

A. There is no restriction on level ranges. You'll be able to group with anyone you would normally be able to.

Q. Can I go into main capital cities while grouped with others?

A. Capital cities and areas with regularly high populations will not be set as cross-server areas/zones so you will not be able to enter into the same instance of a city as someone who is from a different realm.

Q. Will I be able to trade with others I meet?

A. Trading restrictions are in place much the same as they are in cross-realm dungeons, raids, and battlegrounds.

Q. How is group loot handled?

A. Group looting will function the same as it would with any group you would create through normal play.

Q. Who will I be playing with?

A. You'll be able to interact with players from within a select pool of realms which will make it possible to run into a player in Redridge that you already ran into within Westfall.

Q. What areas will be shared?

A. This can vary from realm to realm and relies on how densely populated (or underpopulated) an area is. Capital cities and areas with regularly high populations will not be eligible for area sharing.

Q. What about resources or gathering nodes, will those be shared too?

A. Resources and nodes will be available to all parties within the shared area the same as always. We will be keeping a close eye on the impact of area sharing and should an area become too populated, we are capable of adjusting how many realms are able to connect to a shared area.

Q. Does this mean that Auction Houses will be merged?

A. No, when any player access an Auction House, they will be only able to access their home realm's Auction House.

Q. What about zones that are already overpopulated, like new race starting zones?

A. With this technology, we can also flag zones to allow for more than one copy of that zone per realm. Players on that realm will be split among those copies in order to alleviate problems due to overpopulation. Players won’t normally see or interact with those on a different instance of their zone, although joining a party will relocate all party members to a single instance of that zone.

(Source)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

See, I wasn't too keen on this idea when I first heard about it for many reasons. It seemed to be a bit rubbish allowing shared zones but after reading this I am actually looking forward to it. It will be nice to see other players about, but maybe not so much for sharing the taming of rares Posted Image

I would really like to see cities such as Ironforge and Dalaran become busier, though understand that would never be able to happen through cross-realm. Just think it is a little sad that nearly all the cities apart from Stormwind on BDF are ghost cities Posted Image

Edited by Neridae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Empulsive
      <Bizarro> 4/13 HM ToT
      <Bizarro> Is a laid back end tier progression raiding guild and is currently recruiting skilled and dedicated raiders for 25 man MoP Progression. Bizarro was established during Vanilla and has become the last 25 man guild focused on 25 Man raiding content on Khaz'goroth.
      Our current vacancies (as of July 30th 2013) are:
      Tanks: Any Class tank with Dps offset
      Healers: Exceptional applicants considered
      Ranged DPS: Mage -High Exceptional applicants considered
      Melee DPS: Death Knight - High Exceptional applicants considered
      Suitable applicants will be able to demonstrate the following:
      - Raiding experience on their chosen toon in MoP
      - Raid ready gear (500 ilvl minimum) with appropriate enchants, gems and enhancements
      - Maximum level trade skills
      - Appropriate raiding addons
      - Regular review of guild forums for news and raiding information
      - Reliable computer and internet connection
      - Availability for all raids
      - Patience during the trial period while your suitability is tested
      - you may not get a starting spot in the raid on every night - Sense of humour and thick skin
      Our core 25 man raid week is (all times are server time +10 gmt):
      Wed 7:45 - 11:30pm
      Sun 7:45 - 11:30pm
      Mon 7:45 - 11:30pm
      Alt/Fun raids (usually 10 man): Thu 7:45 - 11:30pm
      To apply, please visit guildbizarro.com and fill in a full application. Poorly submitted applications will be immediately rejected and no response given.
    • By Gredes
      Bound By Blood(EU-Blade's Edge) is a friendly guild with laid back raids, we want you to have fun while also killing some dragons together. This doesn't mean you're allowed to slack in our raids. We want our players to be perform the best they can! Besides that we don't mind helping you with a few things, you don't play alone in our guild.

Right now we raid thursday/sunday (monday optional) from 20:00-23:00 server time (some times may switch around).

Right now we are a 10 man heroic guild, so we need quite a few more members for WoD Mythic raiding.

You can make a application on our forums http://bound-by-blood.boards.net/
    • By Archimage
      Introduction:

This short guide is for you to quickly level your Cooking profession from 1-525 by learning the recipes and buying the ingredients from Sungshin Ironpaw

Materials:

Buy the following materials from Sungshin Ironpaw:
      18x Instant Noodles
      18x Needle Mushrooms
      27x Pandaren Peach
      06x Silkworm Pupa
      23x Yak Milk
      17x Rice
      06x Red Beans
      06x Farm Chicken
      06x Barley
      02x Ginseng

Fish the following item, you can fish this from any river in Pandaria even when your fishing level is only 1:
      42x Golden Carp

Go north from Halfhill and kill Cranes (eg Glade Sprinter) to loot:
      02x Wildfowl Breast

Start Cooking:

Talk to Sungshin and select the Training option to learn the recipes, then open your cooking profession. Now you should have both windows open, one for you to learn the recipes, and the other to cook them. Learn the newest recipe, and cook it until you can learn and cook the next recipe. Remember to learn the cooking skill upgrades as it becomes unlocked.
      Most of the recipes only require you to cook 6 of each.
    • By Akraen
      Update: I need to clarify a small error in just the data labels for crit/mastery, when I was making my graphs I used the same series labels for Experiment 1 in all graphs. Obviously as you increase +haste rating and keeping crit intervals constant, mastery is reduced. Don't be alarmed, the crit rating and haste is constant, but you're not expected to reach 24k mastery in an 18.9k haste scenario! Your real target is 18969 haste, 15598 mastery, 1500 crit - I'll update those data labels soon.

Disclaimer: The data you see before you is not based off actual gear profiles, instead it uses logic based off crit gain intervals with the purpose of spotting a trend. The following assumptions were made:
      Stat budget of an item level 581.80 mage with item level 580 Purified Bindings of Immerseus. Yu'lon, Stormlash, and other sources of damage excluded from the analysis would not be significant enough to skew the data. This assumes 100% uptimes and all raid buffs. AMR indicates 62.47% haste is 18960, though on Lhivera's TC-Lite, with raid buffs included, I could not get the next LB breakpoint to occur until 18969 haste (62.5%) - since it's only 9 rating, I'm erring on the side of caution until I get clarification on this.  Update: I had it checked and rechecked and it's most certainly 18960, Lhivera will be updating his stuff.  
      Stay tuned to an update to my guide with this new information.

Frost Mage 5.4 - Explained
      Up until this point, those of us who try to take a stab at theorycrafting frost mage have fallen into the same traps. We backward engineer parses to try to explain results. Data has been obscured, often with too much information or influence from fights themselves. I could create a "solution" such as 14242 haste->mastery to explain successful parses, but I couldn't explain why I perceived that to be the best method.

We advanced further into the "multiple builds" theory - which suggested that there was a choice among mastery, mixture, and haste builds, each with their own advantages or disadvantages.

DPET numbers were used to help explain the differences-- and the data was not surprising. We know that the way our stats work together is like a system of checks and balances-- no one stat scales each spell, and some scale each other or inhibit each other. This interaction is not too difficult to map.

In some prior posts, I explained the value of crit to a frost mage, but I still had some lingering doubts as to whether it would exceed the amplification of stat ratings from PBoI. Turns out it does not.

So I wanted to find some new logic-- a new angle to analyze the problem. Simulations are a mindset that have to be put on the back burner until we first look at how our actual stats are impacted by Purified Bindings and what that means for average damage, DPET, and which stats add the most DPET to all of our spells.

I started by setting up a series of 6 experiments, using haste as a control for each setup. Within the 6 experiments there would be a series of up to 12 combinations of crit/mastery, starting crit rating at 1500 and increasing it in intervals thereof. PBoI's amplification was used to calculate how much rating that left over for mastery. Don't worry, it's unlikely you'll get to the ideal number of 18969 haste / 1500 crit / 15000 mastery-- that might not even be possible, but the goal is to get as close to there as possible while preserving the LB/NT breakpoint.

For each of the 6 experiments I began with the raw, unaffected-by-PBoI average damage (crit included) and then created a formula to reverse-engineer the crit rating, apply the amplified bonus, and add it back in to the average damage. This creates a clean, verified value that we can use to create DPET tables:

Then it just takes some cast times to find out DPET!

Now at this stage of the analysis we can look at how crit/mastery relate to haste by pinning each of the 6 experiments against each other. Remember, we are not adding up the DPETs here, or doing any simulations. The only logic here is that changing stats influences DPET, resulting in a very easy-to-read trend analysis. Green = Good; Red = Bad:

From there it is simply a matter of looking at the sum of the gains on a percentage basis. This means ET%s don't matter, simulations don't matter. The % gain from one stat combination versus another stat combination. These DPET calculations could be extrapolated into a simulation, but they don't need to. I call this experiment Differentials By Spell:

As you see above, the impact the change in build has on Frostbolt + Icicle is relatively small, but becomes significant at the highest haste breakpoint.

Brain Freeze comes out to be the biggest loser as haste values increase and is the outlier for shatter cap as well. However keep in mind this doesn't take into consideration the increased proc rate that comes with haste!

Ice Lance DPET levels out as one would expect, at 50% haste. Though this does not take into consideration additional FoF procs from having a higher amount of haste!

Water Elemental does something funny: he loves haste! His stats fluctuate with ours, and he takes a tiny advantage by being in our ideal stat ratio of 18969h>mastery

That Living Bomb breakpoint is huge and ultimately is what decides our ideal stat ratio. However, crit's benefit does not do enough to give crit a lead over mastery in the overvall view. (ps: no idea why one of those cells is white)

Frozen Orb stops gaining DPET past the GCD. Nothing to see here.

Now remember, I'm not simply adding DPET values here, that would be a horribly inaccurate representation of data. The goal isn't a simulation, and the conclusion is startlingly clear because the ignored factors (such as procs) would give haste an even larger advantage, but it's just not needed to prove the stat scaling. This is an aggregate of the % of gain you receive in various stat builds, resulting in higher DPET across the board, influenced by Purified Bindings of Immerseus.

The purpose of this analysis is a demonstration of what stats mean to your spells. It is still a true statement (and an important takeaway) to note that these results will fluctuate depending on the encounter scenario-- on spoils for example, haste at any level conquers mastery, while the reverse is true on Iron Juggernaut. Always pay mind to that fluctuation and note that it is reasonable to set up your frost mage in any way, this is simply the best explanation for how to gear, gem, and reforge from now until 6.0.

I'm considering frost mage solved

tldr; 18960 Haste > Mastery & minimize crit is the answer
    • By Krushinator
      Post your favourite overall addon, and your favourite rogue-specific addon!

My favourite overall addon is TellMeWhen: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info10855-TellMeWhen.html

It's a modernized power aura addon that takes all of the tedious aspects of older addons and makes them simpler. Many aura features are automatic or able to be switched with simple sliders and checkboxes. Sizing and positioning can be done with dragging or anchored coordinates.

My favourite rogue-specific addon is Bandit's Guile Helper: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/bandits-guile-helper/

A resizable movable icon that tells you everything you need to know about your Bandit's Guile ability. It tells you what stage of the buff you are at, how many stacks you are at, and how many seconds you have left once you reach Deep Insight. It is colour coded and very intuitive, and best of all it requires no setup.