Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Starym

overwatch Overwatch Reaches 20 Million Players

8 posts in this topic

Nb8zMld.jpg

The game continues to grow and hit higher and higher user milestones

Well, it seems Titan's cancellation turned out well for Blizzard after all. While it wasn't the next huge MMO everyone and their grandparents play, it's fall did bring us Overwatch and Overwatch is very much here to stay. In case you still doubted the game's potential longevity (and inevitable sequels), a little  announcement got lost in all the Halloween rumbling yesterday, as Blizzard also announced that the game had over 20 million registered players!

"We also want to share the news that Overwatch has crossed a new milestone—20 million players—making this special holiday treat all the sweeter," Blizzard said in a press release, according to PvPlive.

In this era of free to play that's a huge deal as OW is still a 40$ title, or even 60$ if you're on the consoles, so getting these kinds of numbers is even more impressive. Now, some of the 20 million are playing the game in PC bangs and similar lan cafes, so it might not be exactly 20 million units sold, but it's still impressive nonetheless. But the bigger news here is that the game is still growing, with it having started at 7 million in its first week and reached 15 million 2 months ago.

So why should we specifically care for this sales trend? Well, it also means that we'll be seeing plenty of content for the game to come, as it has a healthy and growing community around it. Add to that the lootbox system also being a steady income and you can be sure Overwatch will be sticking around for a long, long time.

2 people like this

I think Overwatch lacks hero variety, compared to a game like Heroes of the Storm (which isn't even successful compared to OW), the rate which they are releasing new heroes is very slow.

Since it's now a money-maker they should really add heroes on a regular basis. I mean right now the comps are like 2 healers (usually Lucio + Zen) 2 tanks (Rein is a must pick and then it's either Zarya or Roadhog) and we really don't see much variety on damage dealing heroes either! (It's either DIE DIE DIE or High noon)

I wanna see more AoE Healers like Lucio (I mean it's getting boring, he's the only choice), more heroes that excel at certain aspects of the game, A sniper that isn't tier 4 on all power rankings.

Come on Blizzard! Chop Chop!  

Edited by mnime

Overwatch may be releasing them very slowly but they do it in a very creative and fun way like the Ana hints and the Sombra "leaks".

20 million already, that's crazy! One day I'll play this game. :/

9 hours ago, KingMe said:

20 million already, that's crazy! One day I'll play this game. :/

HOW ARE YOU NOT ALREADY?

12 hours ago, mnime said:

I think Overwatch lacks hero variety, compared to a game like Heroes of the Storm (which isn't even successful compared to OW), the rate which they are releasing new heroes is very slow.

Since it's now a money-maker they should really add heroes on a regular basis. I mean right now the comps are like 2 healers (usually Lucio + Zen) 2 tanks (Rein is a must pick and then it's either Zarya or Roadhog) and we really don't see much variety on damage dealing heroes either! (It's either DIE DIE DIE or High noon)

I wanna see more AoE Healers like Lucio (I mean it's getting boring, he's the only choice), more heroes that excel at certain aspects of the game, A sniper that isn't tier 4 on all power rankings.

Come on Blizzard! Chop Chop!  

Funnily enough, this changes a lot as skill levels vary, as well as map comps.

For Support, every hero can work. Zen is amazing vs. tank heavy comps, Mercy is excellent if you have the ability to hide for her ress, Lucio is always a solid pick, Symm is spectacular on Hybrids, as well as some point maps. Ana is incredible vs. any comp running Pharah, as well as having crazy synergy with so many heroes. 

For tank, Zarya is the only tank that is a "must have". The other tank spots (depending on 2, 3, and 4-tank comps) are always open depending on the enemy. Roadhog, Rein and Winston are destroyed by Reaper/Zen combos, but they all have heroes they counter. D.Va can be counterpicked by Zarya or Mei. Mei actually nails any tank other than Zarya tbh.

It might be different at lower rank levels, but I'd say I see every tank and support played in competitive atm, at least in my games. The problem with adding another AoE healer is that Lucio will outshine them still. They won't see play because of Lucio. 

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Blainie said:

might be different at lower rank levels, but I'd say I see every tank and support played in competitive atm, at least in my games. The problem with adding another AoE healer is that Lucio will outshine them still. They won't see play because of Lucio. 

Not sure about the higher ranks cause I'm playing in plat right now, and recently I haven't followed any eSports, so you might be right, but I'm guessing variety only happens with premades. For example Symmetra is very squishy and not mobile at all, without coordination she can't do much. I've only seen 1 good symmetra, she had 58 hours of play on symm and played really good, hats off to you girl! 

And still... 4, 5 heroes for each role, you don't have a lot of choice.

But about another AoE healer, I think if they create a hero that excels at a certain aspect of the game, they can beat lucio. Like, I do love resto druids, so a tree hero that goes stationary like bastion, gains a lot of hp or defense in this stance and heals like hell can do the trick. It might not be good for attack but for defense it could be really hard to counter.

I mean they have geniuses there in Blizzard HQ, my suggestion might be totally crap :D but they can do it.

Don't get me wrong, this game is in my top 3 favorites and I really like it, but I think on this project they are approaching their goals too cautiously. It worked guys! fire the content engine :p

Edited by mnime

On 10/14/2016 at 1:00 PM, mnime said:

But about another AoE healer, I think if they create a hero that excels at a certain aspect of the game, they can beat lucio. Like, I do love resto druids, so a tree hero that goes stationary like bastion, gains a lot of hp or defense in this stance and heals like hell can do the trick. It might not be good for attack but for defense it could be really hard to counter.

Interesting idea, for sure. I can't wait to see if they can pull it off :p