Korie

Protection Paladin rotation help

Sign in to follow this  

4 posts in this topic

Right, so I started playing my Protection Paladin after deciding to give up since I literally couldnt figure out how to play it properly, I decided to give it another go because I really missed the class & role, the thing is, I currently practise my rotation(The one here on the site)

But I have one thing I dont completely understand what if I'd get a Grand Crusader proc at step 6(Judgment) and since I still have a Crusader Strike & a Consecration to use I'd lose the proc, if I'd prioritize the proc over the rotation it would mean Avenger's Shield would be on Cooldown on Step 3, how am I supposed to tackle the procs & not let it mess up the rotation?

Edit: Where am I supposed to put Sacred Shield?

Edited by Korie

I usually don't follow a set "rotation" since tanking is situational.

I try to save my Grand Crusader procs till after I've Judged or CSed and things tend to keep pretty smooth. I'll use it immediatly if I am in need of Holy Power for SotR. I find that if I do get any kind of downtime between my main skills, it's a good time to refresh Sacred Shield just so I don't waste a cooldown. And even then, it's rare that I don't have either Holy Wrath or Consecration off CD or either Judgement or Crusader strike less than a GCD away.

Use the rotation as a guide but following it to a tee just makes for more brain work and it might take your mind off the task at hand. I'd like to see someone follow that roation doing adds for Horridon lol. As long as you are generating holy power at a decent enough clip you have SoTR available to absorb any big hits and you keep aggro, you are doing your job right. You will find your ideal way of playing as you tank more and more.

Edited by Moraras

While it's far from optimal, I use an addon called CLCProt that shows a "rotation" that you should use, including things like when to refresh Sacred Shield. Now I would not rely on it 100% when you're comfortable enough, but if you're wrapping your head around it (as I am still) then I find it invaluable. I also use (and love) the Retribution version CLCRet as well for those rare times I use my offspec.

First off, you should always have enough time to use CS and Judgment before Grand Crusader falls off. The likelihood that it procs off of something other than Crusader Strike/Hammer is fairly slim. I think the reason why it's in the spot in the rotation where it is, is that AS tends to be a strong attack while leveling up but it doesn't scale as well at 90 compared to the other abilities you have available.

I had problems nailing the MoP rotation down too, since it changed from how it used to be in Cata. I kept my buttons in the same place and kept getting myself totally confused.

What I finally did was line up 1-6 according to the priority list. Crusader Strike, Hammer, Judgment, Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecration. Then I just use whichever one is furthest to the left and off cooldown. If I've used everything including Execution Sentence, I refresh Sacred Shield (which is worth doing every once in a while, even if it's still up, since it scales with Vengeance). In execute range I shift, mousewheel down and have another bar, which is the same except that Consecration is replaced with Hammer of Wrath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: 
      Stjern#2802 or Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 72+ traits.
      - 8/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Death Knight: Blood.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Druid: Guardian.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By TheKaiser
      I have a few questions concerning the upcoming expansion:
      First I wanted to ask, how everything with legendarys and artefacts is now going to be, are there still gonna be legendarys with the same role as in Legion and what about artefacts, are the HoA armors the new artefacts ?

Furthermore I wanted to know wheter or not pvp is mandatory for warfronts and island plundering or if you don't need to be a top pvp player to still achieve some nice things and interesting rewards.

With warfronts I also wanted to enquire how the gameplay most likely will look like, they are pve events so you shouldn't need to be a pvp player, right ?
      Also one last question, how hard do you think the warfront rewards will be to get ? The transmog does look quite nice and I wanted to ask if it is gonna be something, that is going to be locked and only available to hardcore players
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho
    • By Nevaera
      Hello there!

<Shadow> on Argent Dawn has been going since 2009. We are a close-knit community and strongly believe in recruiting people who will fit in with us rather than just whoever is topping the meters. We also believe that having a busy RL life with job/family/social commitments and committing to Mythic raiding as a hobby we're all passionate about are not mutually exclusive. We are looking to bolster our line-up to push for Cutting Edge in Antorus.

About us

We progress raid Thursdays and Sundays, 20:00-23:00 and 19:30-22:30 respectively (all times server time)
      We have a non-mandatory farm raid Fridays at 20:30 that socials and alts are welcome to
      We use Discord for voice communication and have an active server to hang out, chat, and organise M+ runs
      We maintain a mature environment - having a laugh is great, but bullying, endless meme-spamming and the like are not welcome
      We believe in learning from your mistakes - you will never be yelled at, but you will be asked whether you know what you did wrong and how you can fix it

What we expect from recruits

Sign up to raids ahead of time and give us a heads-up in case of longer absences
      Be there 15 minutes before raid start and bring your own consumables as back-up to feasts and cauldrons
      Do your homework - research encounters thoroughly and understand them
      Understand and know how to play your class
      Have Discord installed and a working microphone, ready to speak when required but without cluttering up comms with chatter
      You don't need to grind to the point of burn-out, but keep up with AP traits and do M+ to hone your skills and supplement your gear
      Be a team player and bring a positive attitude. Wipes happen in Mythic. Constructive feedback is great, backseat raid leading is not.

What we are currently looking for

A rule that applies to all potential recruits is: We do not recruit for the bench, but we will always take the team that is most likely to defeat the boss and cannot promise everyone they will always be in for every fight. When things are equal in terms of performance and required composition, we much prefer to rotate people in and out over benching someone for an entire night.
      One Healer - Paladin preferred, but any class that isn't priest will be considered
      One Tank - Bear, Brewmaster or Blood DK
      Melee DPS - got one spot for a Rogue
      Ranged DPS - Boomkins, Shadow Priests, Warlocks and Hunters

If this sounds like the guild for you, check us out at shadow-wow.enjin.com or contact the Co-GMs Alec#2922 and NevNev#2669 for more info!

See you in Antorus!
    • By Shuppet
      I need guidance!
      I'm a returning player from the MoP era, I've played throughout TBC and beyond and currently I'm a iLvl 890 Mage. I haven't played any of Legion launch content, no 7.1/7.2 content when I first started playing again. Currently I've been doing all of the broken isles quests, currently on the last which is Suramar and my entire Broken Isles Rep standing is at Honoured across the board at this moment in time (btw this rep wall for flying is a joke).
      So here I am questing, doing dungeons and LFR. Multi-tasking multiple things, I've just received the last follower for the class hall quests, it's so overwhelming and I have no idea what I need to do to make sure I'm not missing out any tasty loot because I'm an avid completionist and wouldn't want to miss a mount or title or anything haha! But like I said, I'm so very overwhelmed by everything and I don't want to be doing things that I don't really need to do unless I get something shiny. Am I gonna be screwed if I skip the Broken Shore? Do i just go straight into argus? I love leveling alt characters but if i do all this, and have to do it again on an alt, I would be so angry. Obviously the Legion flying will benefit the alt, but if I can just skip to Argus(?), is it really worth it? Like jump straight into argus if its not gonna damage my alt toons chances of getting gear? WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING AND WHAT AM I WASTING MY TIME ON? - is the question I'm asking here. I hate missing a trick, please halp ! D;