FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Battle.net Patch: Blizzard Voice, Chat Channels, more

8e0IeGd.jpg

Well, it seems the battle.net name is still here since the name keeps being featured in these patches, making that announcement from a while ago even more confusing. In any case, there has been a new patch that finally and officially added Blizzard Voice to the suite of features of the Battle.net client. You can also now make Chat Channels for both voice and text communication with friends and there's a whole bunch of other fixes and changes to be seen.

Blizzard LogoOctober 20

Improvements

Channels

• You can now create a channel to use voice and text chat with your friends.
  • To start a channel, use the "Create a Channel" button, or right-click your friends on the Friends List.
  • All channel members have permission to add or remove their friends from and channel.
  • Players can be dragged from the Friends List to channels to make adding individuals quick and easy.

Voice Chat

• Blizzard Voice provides high quality voice audio and superior stability, all from the Desktop App you are already using!
  • A full range of audio settings allow you to customize your voice experience.
  • Additional controls in the chat channel allow you to individually mute and change player volume.

Chat

• Send and receive URLS as clickable hyperlinks!
  • Users can now markdown text with bold, italics, strikethrough effects in chat. Here's how to add the markdown:
    • Bold = ** or __ before and after the word/s you want to make bold.
    • Italics = _ before and after the word/s you want to make italicized.
    • Strikethrough = ~~ before and after the word/s you want to strikethrough.

Sounds & Notifications

• Revamped the sounds and notification settings for the App.
  • All sound and notification settings have been reset to their defaults, and some will now be ON by default.

General

• The icon in the upper left corner of the friends list now shows you your own in-game status as others will see you.

Bug Fixes

Streaming

• Fixed various stability and performance problems with streaming.
  • Fixed some issues that would cause audio degradation in streams.

General

• Fixed an issue that would prevent AltGr from functioning in browser windows.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash on startup.
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause \"session expired\" errors when reconnecting after having logged in from another location.

Known Issues

• Currently voice chat in Battle.net App and Overwatch are separate systems, meaning it is possible to be in more than one voice channel at the same time.

FINALLY!!! Why did it take them a decade too long to do this? There was no reason I couldn't play hearthstone and chat with my friend playing WoW.

Did they cheap out on horrible voice quality again? I remember when they rolled this out for WoW some years back: everyone tried it briefly, found out it was much inferior to the vent or teamspeak their guild was already set up on, and then never used it again. 

I'm liking it so far. 

10 hours ago, Realmouse said:

quality is actually good this time...but volume is way low for me and no way to make it louder yet.

You should be able to change that in the channel settings, I think!

13 hours ago, Laragon said:

FINALLY!!! Why did it take them a decade too long to do this? There was no reason I couldn't play hearthstone and chat with my friend playing WoW.

It must have been such a low priority for them, especially with so many other programs available.

20 minutes ago, Wiz said:

I think I'm going to hang on to my vent server for now.

Seems to be how most people I've spoken to are reacting :p

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wiz said:

I think I'm going to hang on to my vent server for now.

There isn't any voice communication program with a worse quality then Vent. Discord (free btw) is about 10x better quality wise.

I've tried this and I'm quite impressed with the improvement they've made compared to the last try of theirs. Let's see if people actually start using it this time, as most will have settled in on their own servers I think. This is free though!

22 hours ago, AburaEG said:

There isn't any voice communication program with a worse quality then Vent. Discord (free btw) is about 10x better quality wise.

I've tried this and I'm quite impressed with the improvement they've made compared to the last try of theirs. Let's see if people actually start using it this time, as most will have settled in on their own servers I think. This is free though!

I really do think this is the biggest battle for anything new that Blizzard now introduces. Forcing people to move from what they already know and like to something new. I'll be interested to see how they try to coax people towards trying it. Maybe some kind of promotion?