FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Friedbones

Arcane Charge/Mana question

I've been reading the changes on the new 7.1 patch from today.  I noticed that for the Arcane Mage, Arcane Charges now increase mana costs by 125% (was 100%).

So, how is this an improvement for mana management?  I stopped playing my Arcane spec because I had trouble with mana control.  Why does increasing the cost help when the spec already is mana starved in so many ways?  I am not the best player and admit I have trouble with the mana control on this spec.  But, I don't have that trouble with either of my other mage specs (or for that matter my lock regarding mana).  

It just doesn't make any sense to me to increase the cost when we already have a problem.  Can someone please explain this to me?

Actually I don't get this either. Increasing the mana costs even more, feels like a nerf. For what I've heard (haven't played Arcane serious in Legion yet) is that you need an insane mastery value (60%+) to somehow have a good manapool.

With 7.1 I think you need even more. Yes, the damage of AB and AM gets buffed as well, but it doesn't really compensate the manacosts imo...

the damage increase is significant, and there are a number of ways to keep your mana in check, first of all mastery being the top secondary stat, stack the heck out of it to maintain your burst as long as possible, and if you are fortunate enough to get the kilt, you can regain mana quickly through arcane barrage, mana is your friend so do whatever you can to get as many big casts off while arcane power is up to maximize effort. 
the second half is maintaining moderate mana so you can burst again next time AP is up, again assuming you have the kilt your down time should be minimal at best. 

also it seems like a big difference but the reality is appx 30k mana per cast at 4 stacks, 198k vs 165k , so eventhough 125% per stack sounds like a huge increase the total increase is 16.7 percent at max stacks. which when you factor in the damage increase is much better at getting in large amounts of damage 

Ok, "Kilt" item...I googled it and got so many popup links its not funny.  What kilt are you referring to here?  I don't raid, so if its a raid drop I won't ever get it.  If it is a dungeon drop, ditto since I rarely do dungeons.  

I understand the need to have good gear for our toons to do well in combat, but if one item outperforms every other piece, and not everyone can obtain it through questing, that doesn't help folks like me.

13 hours ago, Rosario said:

the damage increase is significant, and there are a number of ways to keep your mana in check, first of all mastery being the top secondary stat, stack the heck out of it to maintain your burst as long as possible, and if you are fortunate enough to get the kilt, you can regain mana quickly through arcane barrage, mana is your friend so do whatever you can to get as many big casts off while arcane power is up to maximize effort. 
the second half is maintaining moderate mana so you can burst again next time AP is up, again assuming you have the kilt your down time should be minimal at best. 

As a good rule of thumb, if someone mentions an item that changes your gameplay just by owning it you can probably assume it is a legendary.  They technically drop from all sorts of places including dungeons, world quests, caches, etc...  I have yet to see one for myself, but I've definitely seen them pop up on guild mates at odd times.

This is presumably the one that Rosario is presumably talking about.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=132451/mystic-kilt-of-the-rune-master

For myself, to be honest, even without the kilt I used to be able to spam my spells at maximum arcane charges for significant amounts of time without needing to recharge and my mastery wasn't particularly impressive.  This change will probably just mean I can't just arcane blast almost constantly between evocations.  I might have to start throwing in a couple arcane barrage's here and there. :)

Edited by Balthanon

16 hours ago, Rosario said:

the legendary kilt. legendaries drop off just about anything you can do casual or no so... you dont even need to raid.

Good, thanks for the feedback.  

16 hours ago, Balthanon said:

As a good rule of thumb, if someone mentions an item that changes your gameplay just by owning it you can probably assume it is a legendary.  They technically drop from all sorts of places including dungeons, world quests, caches, etc...  I have yet to see one for myself, but I've definitely seen them pop up on guild mates at odd times.

This is presumably the one that Rosario is presumably talking about.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=132451/mystic-kilt-of-the-rune-master

For myself, to be honest, even without the kilt I used to be able to spam my spells at maximum arcane charges for significant amounts of time without needing to recharge and my mastery wasn't particularly impressive.  This change will probably just mean I can't just arcane blast almost constantly between evocations.  I might have to start throwing in a couple arcane barrage's here and there. :)

Thanks for the info.