FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Westy

Icy Veins showing wrong stat priority for Prot Paladin?

I have seen recently that Icy Veins changed the Protection Paladin stat priorities with the release of 7.1. I wanted to do my own research on it so downloaded the latest build of Simcraft  SimcSetup-710-01-Win64.exe , dated 2016-10-29 05:41, and run a tank based sim. No matter what settings I changed I could not replicate Icy Veins findings for their stat priorities of:

1. Haste;
  2. Versatility;
  3. Mastery;
  4. Critical Strike.

Further more as they do not post a pawn string or show weights it is also hard to see how much one stat is better than another.

Anyhow I have run many many sims on this and the result I get is shown in the attached image. I set it to run 25000 sims with a patchwork fight using T19H. Even if I change it to T19M it does not really change the results.

As you can see it ranks Crit slightly above Mastery, but more or less equal, so why does Icy Veins say that Master is above Crit.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me so I know I am gearing correctly. What do I believe?

stats.jpg

Addition - I have run it on another Prot Paladin that has 888 gear and get the priorities of:

Sta > Vers > Str ~= Crit ~= Mastery ~= Haste

What is going on, am I doing something wrong or is it that there is no one glove fits all stat order. Maybe he has enough Mastery and Haste already so it only recomends Versitility as a good stat now. I am very confused.

Edited by Westy

At this point in Prot Paladin, I've really given up on listening to anyone. All Prot blogs, theory crafters, and whatnot are gone (or haven't been updated in a year) Every website says something different, and every response is based off opinion (for reasons stated).

I have simply ignored it and ran: Haste > Vers > mastery > Crit

Methodology being:

Haste keeps my SotR and self healing going. 

Vers makes healing stronger, hits lighter, (and small effect of damage output for pushing raid damage)

Mastery for stronger blocks and more reduction on SotR

Everything else (stamina, Crit) seem so insignificant via needing something like 7% crit for 1% of SotR uptime; and in 860 gear with no stam trinkets, carrying 3 million health. They just go along with Blizzard's terrible gearing system. Too lazy to make tanking gear, too lazy to make DPS gear, so "same gear for all". As we sift through and hand out gear with crit because it's truly worthless for survivability. I could be 870GS right now but instead i'm sitting at 860'ish and far more tanky because I itemized over item leveled. 

I am sitting as the highest ranked Prot Paladin on my joined-servers and 7th overall tank. I just honestly gave up listening to these posts of 1 or 2 replies before they get dumped to page two never to be seen again. :P

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Solidbottom

12 hours ago, Solidbottom said:

At this point in Prot Paladin, I've really given up on listening to anyone. All Prot blogs, theory crafters, and whatnot are gone (or haven't been updated in a year) Every website says something different, and every response is based off opinion (for reasons stated).

I have simply ignored it and ran: Haste > Vers > mastery > Crit

Methodology being:

Haste keeps my SotR and self healing going. 

Vers makes healing stronger, hits lighter, (and small effect of damage output for pushing raid damage)

Mastery for stronger blocks and more reduction on SotR

Everything else (stamina, Crit) seem so insignificant via needing something like 7% crit for 1% of SotR uptime; and in 860 gear with no stam trinkets, carrying 3 million health. They just go along with Blizzard's terrible gearing system. Too lazy to make tanking gear, too lazy to make DPS gear, so "same gear for all". As we sift through and hand out gear with crit because it's truly worthless for survivability. I could be 870GS right now but instead i'm sitting at 860'ish and far more tanky because I itemized over item leveled. 

I am sitting as the highest ranked Prot Paladin on my joined-servers and 7th overall tank. I just honestly gave up listening to these posts of 1 or 2 replies before they get dumped to page two never to be seen again. :P

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you I think. I too am going Haste > Vers > mastery > Crit too with great success. I think nowadays it is a case of getting the right spec gear vs ilvl to get a balanced gear set. Blizzard seem to like this one set of gear fits all specs system that clearly does not work. It is always better to go for stats over ilvl, that is for sure. I was just hoping to understand how these priorities that Icy Veins come up with are generated, but I guess everyone does it a bit differently since like you say there are so many different opinions on the subject.

I agree on most of what Westy just said, but my priority is a little different:

ilvl > Haste >> Vers > Whatever

ilvl gives us more stamina, which helps during the "squishy phases" (where SotR is not up)
It might sound a little weird, but it also increases our healing from LotP, which is not bad.
Also i feel, we got like the smalles hp pool compared to other tanks since BC, so we really just need it :-/
(that really embarases me the most in this addon, even with my current GS of 876)

Also keep in mind, that haste and vers do not suffer from diminishing returns.
And since there are no lucky paladins, you'll have enough crit and mastery on your gear anyway.

PS: We got a Legion Forum on maintankadin now, so... you might use it xD
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=7aba258f70431767bad3d7986e1fe739

Edited by Lev

So what is going to be the haste cap though I'm right at 30%but I know we can't get the 50%we needed in wod I guess it's just get as much as u can 

Without Seraphim, the Goal would be something between 40 and 50% for a 100% SotR Uptime.
With Seraphim this is even higher... the sky is our limit :)