Starym

Blizzard Monthly Active Users Biggest in its History

Sign in to follow this  

7 posts in this topic

tgMJXkx.jpg

42 million monthly active users across all Blizzard games and more data from the quarterly financial report.

Activision Blizzard shared their quarterly financial report and boy did they have something to report. It seems in Q3 of 2016 Blizzard had the biggest quarterly online player community in its history, with 42 million monthly active users across all games. This number has doubled in the last two years with the primary user sources being Overwatches huge popularity (it was the fastest Blizzard game to reach 20 million players), Legion's launch and Hearthstone which also had record  monthly users for the quarter.

In more detailed statistical news, the overall number is up 25% quarter-over-quarter and 50% year-over-year, with Legion growing WoW's monthly active user numbers by 30% quarter-over-quarter. As you'd expect, game engagement also followed suit, with record daily and weekly active users, unique users and play time, and even the Legion companion app saw millions of users  loging into it 4-5 times a day. It seems Blizzard has a lot to celebrate at Blizzcon these next few days, so let's all join in the fun and be proud to be part of such a massive community!

For an even more detailed look at Acti-Blizz's finances you can check out the full report.

• Like 1

Poor Heroes of the Storm, such a disappointment :D

I say select the folder and Shift+Delete it blizzard, and take Dota 2 back from Valve.

Edited by mnime

Giving everyone a free copy of World of Warcraft who went to see the movie and who purchased the movie didn't hurt the figures either..

On 11/4/2016 at 2:26 PM, mnime said:

To be fair, in the crowd at the Fall Champs, there were some huge cheers coming from the crowd! There are some people that love it for sure :p

On 11/6/2016 at 0:03 AM, Moirai said:

Giving everyone a free copy of World of Warcraft who went to see the movie and who purchased the movie didn't hurt the figures either..

Would love to know how many recurring subs they obtained via that promotion. They'd never tell us, but it'd be awesome to know.

On 11/4/2016 at 8:26 AM, mnime said:

I say select the folder and Shift+Delete it blizzard, and take Dota 2 back from Valve.

Nope, not interested. 

Heroes is a much more enjoyable game than DOTA 2. My completely full friends list of people that play consistently and the fast ques in ranked play (on both accounts) means the game's thriving fine. Just because it doesn't contribute as much to the active play as WoW (no surprise) or Overwatch and Hearthstone, has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Non-twitch shot friendly shooters and a casual friendly OTCN are bound to have more consistent players, as it appeals to a wider audience, and they are the top tier options in each category. Heroes is a much more strategically and mechanically intensive game (in a similar vein to Starcraft 2, though I am not saying its the same skill, SC2 is intense, though from a team play perspective it definitely has its own challenges). With the unique blend of maps and heroes, its not a very easy game to pick up play if you don't dedicate a few hours a day to do so (I average 4-6, about 5 days a week, more or less). It also has juggernaut competition in the form of DOTA and LoL, and while it makes its own fans that wouldn't actually play those games (like me) it successfully converts enough of them over. I wouldn't touch MOBAs prior to HotS, as I was an avid MMORPG player (WoW, SWTOR, ESO), until I got the invite to the Alpha, and now I play in tournaments and chair league all year. I find it hard to even play my MMO's and have had to end subs all the time because otherwise I waste them. I retroactively played DOTA 2 and LoL to see if they were better, and to my surprise (not) I disliked the games a lot. Always ended up sitting there wondering why I wasn't just playing HotS. I thoroughly enjoyed the game play of Smite and Paragon for a while, as the over the shoulder style was a lot of fun, but I was not convinced by the lack of build diversity of the the heroes, and how in Smite everyone just picks Assassins and Warriors and then goes ham, no strategy, no communication, lets just attack stuff and hope it works out.

Also, prior to HotS or Overwatch, I didn't really watch eSports other than the occasional Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 match, so its Blizzards fault I am now an eSports junkie. I even like watching some Hearthstone from time to time.

But please, keep acting like its not a good game because it didn't come out and crush the giants of DOTA 2 and LoL. I and millions of others like me that enjoy this game are going to continue to support and enjoy one of the best games in the world to play, and probably the best game in the world to watch being played.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:43 PM, Zendie said:

But please, keep acting like its not a good game because it didn't come out and crush the giants of DOTA 2 and LoL. I and millions of others like me that enjoy this game are going to continue to support and enjoy one of the best games in the world to play, and probably the best game in the world to watch being played.

I definitely don't think it is a bad game, but if you compare the expectations to the reality now, I do think it has fallen slightly short. I remember the hype that flowed freely when HoTS was first announced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GulOo-Xn3Ns)... It was crazy. 

There is definitely still a very strong following, but everyone in my friendship circle that I used to play with constantly has just kind of drifted away from it. I'm sure we would all return if we had time, but at least for the moment, I personally prefer to focus my time on Overwatch/WoW/HS.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Blizzard will be back this year at gamescom 2018 with their cosplay contest! If you'd like to participate in the contest, sign-ups are open until July 25. 
      Blizzard (Source)
      Our world-famous dance and cosplay contests will be back this year at gamescom 2018. Visit the Blizzard booth in Hall 7 of the Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany from August 21-25, and don’t miss your chance to take part! 
      Get ready to show off your moves on stage in front of a cheering crowd for the Blizzard Dance Contest on Thursday, August 23. Do your best to impress the judges with your favorite World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, or Overwatch character’s dance routine.
      Sign up directly at our gamescom booth before 12:00 CEST on August 23. Full contest rules will be available on site.
      Display your latest Blizzard cosplay creation to the world from our gamescom stage in the Blizzard Cosplay Contest on Saturday, August 25!
      To sign up, send an email in English or German to gamescom@blizzard.com before 23:59 CEST on July 25 with the following information:
      Your name and date of birth (plus the name of your legal guardian if you’re under 18) Contact email address Costume name (e.g. Human Rogue, Protoss Stalker) Photo(s) of your costume (smaller than 2MB file size; you can submit a work in progress) Description of your costume, including: materials used, height, width, length, and any specific details (train, lights, etc.) In order to participate in the contest, you’ll have to be able to walk on stage without any assistance.
      Please review the full Cosplay Contest Rules before signing up.

If you participate in either the cosplay or dance contest, please note that you’re responsible for your own entry to gamescom 2018.
      Both contests are open to individuals aged 13 years and over. See the official rules for additional details.
      Cosplay contestants who sign up in advance will be contacted with more information prior to gamescom. Dance contestants will need to register at the Blizzard booth at least 90 minutes before the contest begins to confirm their participation.
      Due to time and space limitations, it may not be possible for all entrants to participate in the contests.
      We look forward to seeing you up on our stage at gamescom 2018!
    • By Stan
      It took years, but Blizzard finally launched the EU Gear Store. Residents of the 28 EU member states can get their hands on Blizzard collectibles and apparel with lower shipping costs, faster delivery, and no import duties.
      Click here to access Blizzard EU Gear Store
      Blizzard (Source)
      General
      How is the European Gear Store different?
      With items shipping from our European warehouse, shoppers in the 28 EU member states can now get their hands on their favorite Blizzard collectibles, apparel and more, with lower shipping costs, faster delivery, and no import duties.
      Geek your everyday!
      Do I need a Blizzard account to place an order?
      You can make purchases on the EU Gear Store as a guest, but you can also create an account using your existing Blizzard account.
      How can I create a Blizzard account?
      If you don’t have an existing Blizzard account, head to https://eu.battle.net/login/ and click on “Create a free Blizzard Account”.
      Why should I create an account?
      Logging in with a Blizzard account will let you access your order history, track your orders, save your shipping address, and securely store your billing information to facilitate the checkout process. 
      How secure will my data be if I create an account on the EU Gear Store?
      Any personal data collected and/or processed in connection with your use of the EU Gear Store will be subject to our Privacy Policy.  We maintain physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to ensure the protection of your data.
      I've purchased products on the US Gear Store in the past; will my details transfer over? 
      Your US Gear Store order history unfortunately can’t be transferred to your EU Gear Store account, but it won’t be lost either. Your order history will still be saved on the US Gear Store and will be accessible by logging in to the US version of the site.
      Can I still shop on the US Gear Store?
      All EU customers are still eligible to shop on the US Gear Store, however, orders may be subject to import duties and custom taxes depending on your country of delivery.
      Languages
      In which languages is the EU Gear Store available?
      The site is currently available in English, French, and German. More languages should be coming in the future!
      How are my default currency and language determined?
      Your current location (IP address) determines if you are shown prices in GBP (£) or Euros (€). The language displayed is based on the language selected in your browser settings.
      How can I change my currency and language preferences?
      You can change your preferences at the bottom of the page.
      Purchasing
      Which payment methods are available on the EU Gear Store?
      Common EU payment methods such as PayPal and major credit cards like VISA, Mastercard, and American Express are available on the EU Gear Store.
      Why are the prices on the US Gear Store and the EU Gear Store different?
      Prices available on the EU Gear Store include any applicable VAT and are set according to region standards. 
      How can I estimate my clothing size?
      A sizing guide is available for apparel items in order to help you choose the best size.
      Each product is unique, and we always recommend that you check our size charts before adding items to your cart. You may want to take the measurements of a similar apparel item (the width of the item just below the arms and the length from shoulder point to hip) and compare them to our size chart.
      Where will my order be shipped from?
      Blizzard European Gear Store products are shipped from our facility in The Netherlands, which has a separate inventory from the US Gear Store.
      What if a product I want is available on the US Gear Store but not the EU Gear Store?
      Due to separate inventories, some products may be available on one site and not the other. If an item you’re interested in is not available on the EU Gear Store, you may purchase it directly on the US Gear Store (import duties, customs, and taxes may apply).
      Can I leave reviews on EU Gear Store products?
      Only visitors with a Blizzard account can leave product reviews, and only on products you have purchased. To do so, head to the product you wish to review and submit your comments. Be sure to see our Customer Review FAQ for information on how we moderate reviews.
      Shipping
      What shipping methods are available on the EU Gear Store?
      The European Gear Store offers two different shipping methods, either Postal Priority (no tracking number) or Courier (with tracking).
      How much does shipping cost?
      The rate may vary depending on the weight of your package, your shipping destination, and the shipping option you choose for your order. The precise rate will be calculated automatically and displayed during the checkout process.
      Which countries do you ship to?
      Shipping Destination
      US Gear Store (gear.blizzard.com/us/)
      EU Gear Store (gear.blizzard.com/eu/ & gear.blizzard.com/uk/)
      United States
      YES
      NO
      European Union*
      YES
      YES
      * European Union countries include the 28 EU member states (excluding overseas territories): Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
      What if my country isn’t listed?
      If your country is not part of the 28 member states of the European Union, you can still order from the US Gear Store. However, your order may be subject to import duties and taxes. 
      Refunds & Returns
      How can I report an issue with my order (defect, exchange, refund request, etc.)? 
      Please check our Terms of Sale and contact our Customer Support team for help.
      Can I cancel or return my order if I change my mind?
      If you are a resident of the European Union, you have the right to withdraw your purchase request within 14 days of receipt of your order without stating any reason. Please refer to the “Right of Withdrawal” section in the Terms of Sale for more information on how to exercise this right.
      How do I cancel an order?
      You can cancel any order you have recently placed, as long as it has not shipped. This option will remain available up to 30 minutes after placing your order. To use it, please log into your account and use the option to cancel your order.
      If you are trying to cancel a pre-purchase order and receive an error, you may need to wait up to one hour after placing the order before you can cancel it. This is a technical limitation caused by the way funds are cleared for pre-orders.
      Pre-Purchase/Promotions
      How does the pre-purchase system work?
      When you pre-purchase an item on the EU Gear Store, the payment is processed immediately, and the item is delivered to you once stock is available (within the timeframe stated in the product description).
      You have the right to cancel your pre-purchase and request a refund before the product is shipped. Once the product has been shipped, if you are a resident of the European Union, you have the right to withdraw your purchase request within 14 days of receipt of your order without stating any reason. Please refer to the “Right of Withdrawal” section in the Terms of Sale for more information on how to exercise this right.
      Can I change my pre-purchase order from the US Store to the EU Store?
      Not directly, but you can cancel the US pre-purchase and place a new one on the EU Gear Store (as long as stock is available). To cancel your original order, log into your account on the US Gear Store and use the option to cancel it. This will only work if the order is still pending and has not shipped yet. Then you can place your EU pre-purchase on the EU Gear Store.

Note: We recommend making sure you can complete the new pre-purchase order, and that stock is available, before canceling your original order.
      Are promotions available on the US Gear Store also valid on the EU Gear Store?
      Local promotions are subject to specific conditions that may not be mirrored on both sites, therefore we cannot guarantee that the same promotion will be offered in both regions simultaneously. If you wish to benefit from a specific promotion, please place an order on the Gear Store offering that promotion.
      I received a US Gear Store promotional code; can I use it on the EU store?
      Promotional codes only apply in the region where they’re issued. Therefore, a US Gear Store promotional code can’t be redeemed on the EU Gear Store.
    • By Stan
      Gamescom is returning to Cologne, Germany this summer and the event will run from August 21-25.
      At Gamescom 2017, visitors to the Blizzard booth were able to experience a brand-new Overwatch map and the world premiere of the Overwatch animated short. Hearthstone players could enjoy an early look at new Fireside Gathering features and WoW gamers learned more about Legion's Patch 7.3. Blizzard introduced a new Hero for HotS that was available for gameplay, StarCraft II got a new co-op commander, and attendees were able to play Diablo III's Rise of the Necromancer pack.
      Blizzard (Source)
      The world’s largest interactive entertainment event is coming back to Cologne, Germany this summer… and we’ll be there! From August 21-25, stop by the Blizzard booth at gamescom 2018 for some hands-on play time with Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, which launches on August 14.
      We’ll also have plenty of activities for you, including our famous dance and cosplay competitions, as well as some epic merchandise at the Blizzard store. Stay tuned for details as the event nears, and we look forward to seeing you at gamescom 2018!
    • By Stan
      Quarterly results of the Activision Blizzard Earnings Call are here and we learned that Battle for Azeroth pre-sales are ahead of plan and more content in Legion lead to overperformance versus the prior expansion at this point in time.
      Audience Reach
      374M MAUs (Monthly Active Users) (down from 385M MAUs since Q4 2017). Activision 51M (down from 55M) Blizzard 38M (down from 40M) King 285M (down from 290M). Games
      World of Warcraft
      The game is on a strong trajectory, with an encouraging start to pre-sales for the upcoming expansion (preorders ahead of plan). World of Warcraft is releasing more content, more regularly than ever before, leading to overperformance versus the prior expansion at this point in time and higher engagement sequentially. The game had strong participation with in-game purchases. Hearthstone
      The game continued to reach and engage its large global audience through multiple efforts, including a new promotional bundle, an expansion, and a player versus environment mode, Monster Hunts, which has had strong engagement so far.
      Overwatch
      Overwatch continued to add new players, and engagement remains strong, with the most recent seasonal event, Retribution, having the highest participation rate to‐date. Recognized as BAFTA’s “Best Evolving Game”. Esports
      Overwatch League
      The inaugural regular season for the Overwatch League launched in January and continues to reach millions each week. Combined hours spent playing and watching Overwatch increased quarter‐over‐quarter. The Overwatch League and its partners introduced new engagement programs like token drops, cheermotes and the new Twitch league pass, which deliver enhanced viewing experiences while adding unique revenue opportunities. Planning to add a handful of teams in key strategic markets by end of year. (Source)
    • By Zadina
      The beloved Hearthstone developer is leaving Blizzard Entertainment to start working on a new company
      In a twist of events as shocking as Chris Metzen's departure, Ben Brode - the Game Director for Hearthstone - will no longer be working for Blizzard as of today. Ben was an instrumental member of Team 5 for almost ten years. The team has grown since to 80 members and I am sure it's going to be in good hands from now on.
      Where Brode will truly be missed is the commercial part of Hearthstone. Disregarding the usual cynical remark that Ben Brode's only purpose in life is to sell packs, he was the face of Hearthstone - just like Kaplan is the face of Overwatch. Who can forget his epic raps, his iconic laughter, his jolly "Well met!" greeting and the enthusiasm with which he talked about Hearthstone? You will be missed, Ben Brode.
      We wish him the very best of luck in his new venture! Hopefully he'll become the face of a brand new popular game!
      Ben Brode
      To my friends, coworkers, and the Hearthstone community,

After 15 years at Blizzard and almost 10 years working on Hearthstone, I have made the incredibly difficult decision to embark on a new journey.

Man, that was a hard sentence to type.

I was 20 years old when I started here. My first role was ‘Night Crew Game Tester.’

Since then, Blizzard has been good to me. I got to cast esports events, announce BlizzCons, play in Rock Bands, write raps, and work with incredible people. But the biggest opportunity came in 2008 when I joined “Team 5.” The Hearthstone Team.

I am very proud of Hearthstone. I think we made an impact on the industry. People tell me that Hearthstone brought their family closer together, or that they became close friends with people they met at a Fireside Gathering. Others tell me they were inspired by Hearthstone to become game developers themselves. It’s incredible to be a part of something that touches so many people.

But as proud as I am of Hearthstone, I am even more proud of the team.

There is no team like the Hearthstone team. People have come and gone over the 10 years Hearthstone has been in development, but there’s something special about the Soul of the Team. We knew our most important product wasn’t the game, but the team itself. A great team can do great things, and I think the Hearthstone team is the greatest. It isn’t just a job. It’s a shared passion. We get to come to work and focus on the game we love and try to make it better every day.

We frequently check the Hearthstone subreddit looking for opportunities to improve the game. I have loved the silly memes, engaging in spirited debates, or even just being held accountable to our shared high standards for the game. We try to be highly available on social media, and I think our team helped push the envelope in this regard. It has been especially satisfying to me to see the team step up over the last few years and help engage in these ways as I became more focused on direction and less on actual design.

I get too much credit by virtue of being a public face, but the 80+ people on the development team are still there, and they are the ones actually making the cards, brawls, events, missions, and features. I am confident the game is in the best possible hands, and I’m excited to see where a new generation of leaders takes Hearthstone from here.

I am very fortunate to be able to take a crazy risk right now in my life, and I’m excited to be scrappy and a little scared. I’m going to help start a new company. We’ll probably make games, but we haven’t figured anything else out, yet. I’m looking forward to designing, programming, and actually creating things again. I’m going to miss the on-campus Starbucks, though. Dang.

Blizzard, thank you for taking a chance on me, and thank you for taking a chance on Hearthstone. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

And to the passionate community of players – I will miss you, and the laughs we shared together. Thank you for making being a part of Hearthstone so much fun for me. I’ve loved every minute.

Sincerely,

Ben Brode
      (source)