Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Starym

blizzard Blizzard Monthly Active Users Biggest in its History

7 posts in this topic

tgMJXkx.jpg

42 million monthly active users across all Blizzard games and more data from the quarterly financial report.

Activision Blizzard shared their quarterly financial report and boy did they have something to report. It seems in Q3 of 2016 Blizzard had the biggest quarterly online player community in its history, with 42 million monthly active users across all games. This number has doubled in the last two years with the primary user sources being Overwatches huge popularity (it was the fastest Blizzard game to reach 20 million players), Legion's launch and Hearthstone which also had record  monthly users for the quarter.

In more detailed statistical news, the overall number is up 25% quarter-over-quarter and 50% year-over-year, with Legion growing WoW's monthly active user numbers by 30% quarter-over-quarter. As you'd expect, game engagement also followed suit, with record daily and weekly active users, unique users and play time, and even the Legion companion app saw millions of users  loging into it 4-5 times a day. It seems Blizzard has a lot to celebrate at Blizzcon these next few days, so let's all join in the fun and be proud to be part of such a massive community!

For an even more detailed look at Acti-Blizz's finances you can check out the full report.

1 person likes this

Poor Heroes of the Storm, such a disappointment :D

I say select the folder and Shift+Delete it blizzard, and take Dota 2 back from Valve.

Edited by mnime

Giving everyone a free copy of World of Warcraft who went to see the movie and who purchased the movie didn't hurt the figures either..

On 11/4/2016 at 2:26 PM, mnime said:

To be fair, in the crowd at the Fall Champs, there were some huge cheers coming from the crowd! There are some people that love it for sure :p

On 11/6/2016 at 0:03 AM, Moirai said:

Giving everyone a free copy of World of Warcraft who went to see the movie and who purchased the movie didn't hurt the figures either..

Would love to know how many recurring subs they obtained via that promotion. They'd never tell us, but it'd be awesome to know.

On 11/4/2016 at 8:26 AM, mnime said:

I say select the folder and Shift+Delete it blizzard, and take Dota 2 back from Valve.

Nope, not interested. 

Heroes is a much more enjoyable game than DOTA 2. My completely full friends list of people that play consistently and the fast ques in ranked play (on both accounts) means the game's thriving fine. Just because it doesn't contribute as much to the active play as WoW (no surprise) or Overwatch and Hearthstone, has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Non-twitch shot friendly shooters and a casual friendly OTCN are bound to have more consistent players, as it appeals to a wider audience, and they are the top tier options in each category. Heroes is a much more strategically and mechanically intensive game (in a similar vein to Starcraft 2, though I am not saying its the same skill, SC2 is intense, though from a team play perspective it definitely has its own challenges). With the unique blend of maps and heroes, its not a very easy game to pick up play if you don't dedicate a few hours a day to do so (I average 4-6, about 5 days a week, more or less). It also has juggernaut competition in the form of DOTA and LoL, and while it makes its own fans that wouldn't actually play those games (like me) it successfully converts enough of them over. I wouldn't touch MOBAs prior to HotS, as I was an avid MMORPG player (WoW, SWTOR, ESO), until I got the invite to the Alpha, and now I play in tournaments and chair league all year. I find it hard to even play my MMO's and have had to end subs all the time because otherwise I waste them. I retroactively played DOTA 2 and LoL to see if they were better, and to my surprise (not) I disliked the games a lot. Always ended up sitting there wondering why I wasn't just playing HotS. I thoroughly enjoyed the game play of Smite and Paragon for a while, as the over the shoulder style was a lot of fun, but I was not convinced by the lack of build diversity of the the heroes, and how in Smite everyone just picks Assassins and Warriors and then goes ham, no strategy, no communication, lets just attack stuff and hope it works out.

Also, prior to HotS or Overwatch, I didn't really watch eSports other than the occasional Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 match, so its Blizzards fault I am now an eSports junkie. I even like watching some Hearthstone from time to time.

But please, keep acting like its not a good game because it didn't come out and crush the giants of DOTA 2 and LoL. I and millions of others like me that enjoy this game are going to continue to support and enjoy one of the best games in the world to play, and probably the best game in the world to watch being played.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:43 PM, Zendie said:

But please, keep acting like its not a good game because it didn't come out and crush the giants of DOTA 2 and LoL. I and millions of others like me that enjoy this game are going to continue to support and enjoy one of the best games in the world to play, and probably the best game in the world to watch being played.

I definitely don't think it is a bad game, but if you compare the expectations to the reality now, I do think it has fallen slightly short. I remember the hype that flowed freely when HoTS was first announced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GulOo-Xn3Ns)... It was crazy. 

There is definitely still a very strong following, but everyone in my friendship circle that I used to play with constantly has just kind of drifted away from it. I'm sure we would all return if we had time, but at least for the moment, I personally prefer to focus my time on Overwatch/WoW/HS.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym

There are actually at least two unannounced projects that we know of, the very mysterious first person game (very likely shooter) and the mobile game that we now know has ties to the Warcraft universe. A new job announcement for an FX artist has a line calling for "Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP", which looks pretty self-explanatory. While some of the speculation was previously going around a Hearthstone spin-off with a StarCraft or Diablo thematic, this dispels them and puts the focus back on the big franchise. It would seem a Pet Battle-like completely new game, or direct extension of the WoW version is the front-runner in the speculation race.

Speaking of, what are your guesses and/or wishes for both the unannounced games?
      Blizzard (source)
      Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented FX artist to help us create exciting visual effects for an unannounced project for mobile.
      You’ll develop real time effects from concept to implementation and work to maintain a consistent aesthetic across all of the effects in the game. Effects are integrated into every aspect of mobile games and this position will give you the opportunity to flex your creative muscles in combat, interface and a variety of other features. The ideal candidate has a firm grasp of color, texture, shape and timing as relates to FX and demonstrates an ability to sketch and story board to convey design ideas.
      If you’re ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!

Requirements
      Experience with creating consistently charming, eye-catching, real-time effects (FX) using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems with 3+ years experience and at least 1 shipped title. Must be familiar with creating FX in the Unity game engine Skilled in developing effects that work across a wide range of mobile platforms (looks great on the newest phones but still holds up on a variety of mobile devices) Superior eye for lighting, value, color, details, and the ability to use them in creating beautiful visual effects that support gameplay Self-motivation, excellent communications skills, and able to work within a small team Positive attitude and able to receive and provide objective feedback Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP Pluses
      Experience creating real-time, in-game VFX for mobile platforms Previous game production experience A passion for exploring new ideas in mobile gaming Submission / Portfolio requirements
      Cover Letter is required Resume Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.). Physical media will not be accepted Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so **Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
      Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
      Via PCGamesN.
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 10,000 members in 11 different guilds, we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      In WoW: 
      9 Raid Teams - ranging from Normal to Mythic 7/7 M + 6/10 M Progression Multiple PvP Teams Room for advancement as a staff member Always active guild chat - 11 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: Mog contests, races, mythic dungeons, achievement runs Out of WoW:
      Private game servers w/ events Communities on Steam, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit Awesome CoGuild merchandise like; Shirts, Hoodies, and more BF1 + BF4 Clan ESO Guild Rust Clan FFXIV Company Game Marathon Weekends: Rust, 7D2D, Rocket League, Tabletop Sim, Tower Unite, and more Always active Discord w/ over 2500 connected users Drinking Nights _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      More Information:
      <Currently Online> Has something to offer for everyone, if you are a hardcore raider or a hardcore casual, you can find a place here at Currently Online. If you want more information about our group you can visit us at our website: www.currentlyonline.gg , or contact an officer directly.
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      Empathine#3105
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!

• By Stan

The NY Times bestselling author of many novels is joining the Blizzard team. Christie Golden reported yesterday on Twitter that she's very happy about her new position at Blizzard, but at the same time, she couldn't reveal what it was.
      Placeholder for tweet 864260770573545472 Placeholder for tweet 864269960465534978 The most notable Warcraft novels by Golden include Rise of the Horde (2006), Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (2009), The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (2010), Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (2011), War Crimes (2014) and Warcraft: Durotan (2016). More information about the author can be found here.
    • By Stan

Activision Blizzard's earnings call was yesterday and we've got some interesting numbers! 
      Blizzard grew in-game revenues by over 25% Y/Y, driven by Overwatch & World of Warcraft Activision Blizzard currently has 431M monthly users (Blizzard has 41M) Overwatch's user base grew to new franchise high. It reached 30M registered players faster than any franchise in Blizzard history. It has become Blizzard's 8th billion-dollar franchise Ovewatch's Year of the Rooster drove engagement records Hearthstone recently surpassed 70M registered players life-to-date Approximately 40B hours were spent playing their games in the past 12 months Blizzard had record Q1 time spent, which grew a double-digit percentage Y/Y Heroes of the Storm 2.0 brought a lot of players back to the game World of Warcraft Legion's overall performance is slightly ahead of Warlords of Draenor Screenshots
      You can find the full slide presentation here.

(Source)
    • By Stan

A new job appeared on Blizzard's career site, where they're looking for a Software Engineer (Tools) for an unnanounced project to design software for mobile.
      Job Description
      Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to contribute to Blizzard’s mobile gaming efforts. In this role, you will create tools that will empower our talented designers and artists. The ideal candidate will be self-directed, and have proficiency with developing powerful tools and content creation pipelines.
      You can find the full post here. More jobs related to an unannounced project carry the following description:
      Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced XXX to work on a robust first-person engine for an unannounced project.
      What do you think it could be? An entirely new first-person shooter or an Overwatch expansion? It would be cool to play Pet Battles on the go!