FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chugganaut

Prot - Very dependent on RNG?

Hey, I'm definitely not the best tank so I'm probably wrong, but it seems like a prot warrior's survivability is largely based on whether or not he gets a shield slam reset from devastate. If I am really unlucky and none of my devastates are resetting my shield slam, I really suffer.

Also after a few mythic+ dungeons my index finger is absolutely killing me from all the devastate spamming. It feels like all I'm doing is spamming devastate over and over and praying that I get a shield slam reset.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Edited by Chugganaut

Uncommon Patron

I found tanking as a prot warrior one of the easiest tanking styles yet. Are you using the build as suggested in Icy Veins? Are you alternating between focused rage and ignore pain as appropriate?

If you haven't already check this out;

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/protection-warrior-pve-tank-guide

If you are already following the guidance set here then redress with an armory link and a link to your latest log.

It definitely is a lot easier compared to other tanks I have played. But the difference is prot feels a lot more dependent on getting that shield slam proc from devastate. Like prot can be godly if I get a bunch of shield slam resets in a row, but if I am spamming devastate and the entire cooldown of shield slam refreshes before I get a reset it really hurts my rage generation and in turn my survivability. I can do amazing and be the best tank ever with prot, but then suck if rngesus isn't smiling down on me.

Also yeah I am using vengeance as a talent which has made it easier but I still feel like I am dependent on rng. I'm not saying prot warrior is bad, just that it is dependent on rng.

Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Dizzko/simple

I'm pretty low on haste and versatility because every piece of high ilvl gear I get seems to be missing it and I never know which is better, high ilvl or high secondary stats so that may be hurting me.

Edited by Chugganaut

First of all, I usally don't like to  compare tanks in their difficulty, but i don't think that prot-warrior is easier to play than other classes. Ok, you CAN tank pretty simple...but there is a huge difference between just tanking and doing a good job. I think there is already a very good guide from Estarriol, he really points out how a prot-warrior should act.

In your case, i guess there are two points why it feels so dependent on randomness:

- As you already mentioned, your haste is quite low...or in other words: your critrating is to high. I really can understand why it feels so dependent with a 22%-critchance. With more haste you will generate rage more frequently and your SB-uptime will also increase. That helps a lot. Just try to reduce your crit and improve your haste, you will feel much more "free".

- Are you using your "gap-closer" smart enough? I think that could be a second reason. Don't waste your neltharions fury while SB is already active. I'm not a fan of rotation-recommendation (what a word) for prot-warriors. I recommend to use the skills in a smart way and not based  on a rotation...