Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Assya

[Frost] Lack in DPS

2 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've been playing a bunch of mage recently to eventually find myself at 850 ilevel (down to 849 for stat purpose, I swapped an item for more haste and crit instead of mastery). However, since my last raid (yesterday), I feel like I might not be pulling enough damage for my ilevel so I'm looking for advices concerning the spec, rotation or stats. Further down, you're going to find my armory profile but I want to say it right here and now : I am aware that I'm overflowing with Mastery and I am currently working towards lowering that by a lot (if only gear would drop D:).

While we're here, I also wanted to hear about your thoughts on specs. I just did a Maw Mythic +4 and some people didn't seem to be happy when they saw that I was frost and told me they should've known before because of some AoE issue and damage in general. Could it be that Frost isn't as good as Simulationcraft says it is ? I roughly hit the 200k DPS mark and I find myself pretty low compared to some people. Maybe Fire is better? Or even Arcane (even though I find it disgusting...). What do y'all think?

Cheers!

Trial of Valor log, look for Assya : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/pGd8rVCk1qQPFgKD/#fight=1&type=damage-done

Armory link : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Assya/advanced

EDIT : In case it shows Felo'melorn, I'll put this image of my actual stats with Frost spec because I tend to try the other specs sometimes...

Wow.PNG

Edited by Assya

Hey.

First of all, your gear is a bit low and you also didn't tell us how much you have progressed your Artifact, so these results are quite natural. Even though you are the lowest in damage done in this log, your performance at your item level (the one on the right) is at 70 which is pretty decent. In fact, you are the third highest in item level performance and you have the lowest item level in your raid, so that's good in my book. For gearing, remember to reach the 33,33% Crit cap first and then go for Haste.

I see you are playing the Ray of Frost build, so I can't help you much with that and if you did your rotation properly because I am not familiar with that build. Bear in mind that the Bone Chilling/Thermal Void build is considered superior than the RoF one. Although maybe it's no use learning it since they are nerfing it in Nighthold from what I've seen in the PTR (although everything is subject to change).

Frost is only good at single target and 1-2 targets cleave so I understand the skepticism of your Mythic+ groups. Personally, with trash being harder and more in numbers than bosses I wouldn't bring Frost in a high Mythic+ dungeon.

Now, if Frost is better than Fire. After the patch 7.1.2, everyone rushed to jump on the Frost hype train quite fast... Even I said in another topic that Frost is probably the best in single target. After playing the spec a bit myself and seeing some logs, I am not too sure about that. Sure it performs better in Sims and in Warcraft Logs, but if you look closely in Warcraft Logs: a) the Frost parses are extremely few in number compared to the Fire ones, b) most of these amazing Frost parses are done by people with equally amazing gear (880+) and c) the average damage for Frost is higher than Fire, but the maximum damage for Frost is lower (sometimes by a large number too) than Fire [this difference has to do with point A]. The same could be argued for Arcane, although I am a bit reserved about this since I haven't touched the spec since Legion launched. Most people started as Fire and worked on their Fire artifact and I am of the opinion that currently they should still stick to it.

The sims are showing Frost (and Arcane) quite high in Nighthold but until Nighthold itself is released, these sims are just estimated guesses and nothing more. From the experiences on the PTR so far, Arcane is looking like it's gaining ground but again nothing is solid yet.

TL;DR: All specs are pretty close to each other at the moment. If you like Frost, you should stick to it and maybe it pays off well for you in the future. However, it still remains a weak aoe/dungeon spec so I would work on one of the other two specs as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eternalsoulz666
      <Judgment Day>
      Recruiting:
      2 Healers - Preferably Paladin/Monk (However will still look at other options. DPS off-spec would be nice too!) 2 Melee - Any class will be considered. 2 Ranged - Any class will be considered.
        Progression:
      Emerald Nightmare
      7/7N / 7/7H
      Trial of Valor
      3/3N
      Nighthold
      10/10N

Requirements:
      On US-Proudmoore or willing to server transfer. Knowledge and understanding of your class. DBM/WeakAuras/RCLootCouncil Being on time and being able to attend raid days preferably 10-15 minutes before start time. (90% attendance is acceptable, however until we have more people on our team 100% is strongly encouraged as we don't have the numbers to have people not show up)
        Schedule:*
      **ALL TIMES ARE IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME**
      Friday 8:00-10:00PM (EST) Saturday 8:00-11:00PM (EST) Sunday 5:00-8:00PM (EST)
        *Raiders/Trials will be provided with full guild repairs during raid hours.
      About Us:
      Judgment Day was formed recently by a group of friends that needed more progression than their previous guild were providing for us. We strive to excel at what we do and want to progress through the current content offered to us as it is released & complete it before the release of the next raid tier.
      Our progress through the raids were preformed by the same raid team however in a different guild. We also enjoy running Mythic+ and the occasional battleground.
      We are willing to accept casuals that aren't interested in raiding and just want a chill environment to hang out in.
      Battle.Net:
      EternalSoulz#1946
      http://www.judgmentday.shivtr.com Please apply using our website. Once your application has been reviewed a officer will contact you in-game (b.net) or via the comments section in your application.
    • By Westvleteren

Are you looking to experience content with a solid group, but you don't have the time or desire for Mythic raiding?  We might be a great fit!
      Our team is recruiting for normal and heroic mode raiding.  
      Flex raids mean you always have a raid slot.  
      The guild provides all raid consumables.
      Current progression is: 7/7H, 3/3H, 4/10H
      Raid times:
      Tuesday and Thursdays, 8:00PM - 11:00PM EST. Only six hours a week (often less once fights are on farm).  
      Sunday evenings we often hold optional Alt raids.
      Recruitment needs:
      We are especially interested in Warlocks, Boomkins, and Hunters. Even if you are not one of those classes, don't hesitate to reach out if we sound like a good fit for you.
      Requirements:
      We ask that you join us in Discord during raids, at least to listen.  Perform reasonably for your gear level in Normal and Heroic raid content.  Our guideline is ilvl 870+ but we can work with you. Our raid schedule is light, so we ask that you try to make raids whenever possible.  We of course realize things come up sometimes. Contact:
      Fill out an application on our website: http://condescending.enjin.com/  Navigate to the recruitment forums for instructions. My main is Westvleteren-Zul'jin (battle tag: Westvleteren#1524). My recruitment partner is Aârøñ-Zul'jin (battle tag: cactusdoodle#1677).
    • By Ayne
      Despite playing BM ever since I picked up WoW five years ago, I never really participated in raiding or competetive gameplay as such. People were happy to take me along on raid runs from time to time (I was doing pretty okay in MoP I believe) but now in Legion I first started bothering with my own class performance since I'm more or less a regular stand-in for the guild of a friend now.
      Thing is just I don't exactly now how or what I'm doing. At all.

I have a rough idea about what I should be doing and what talents I should be taking for which boss depending on if AoE will be important or not, but I still feel like I'm slacking more times than necessary and I also very quickly run out of focus, which often has me standing idle until I can cast another skill. A friend told me to check Warcraft Logs - once again, I'm really inexperienced with numbers - and what it basically showed me was that my damage is very inconsistent but I don't really know why?
      I got pretty good gear upgrades yesterday (I know it's not fully gemmed and enchanted yet) so I don't know how my logs will look now but I believe my gear is less of a problem here. I'm someone who still forgets fooding and flasking up sometimes, and who's still very unconcentrated while the boss fights are going on and in doing so often hits the wrong buttons or forgets things are off cd already, but I'd still like to know if I'm on the right track at least.

tldr; I'd like to know how to get out of gawky hunter status to really pull my weight in pugs. you can see my logs here (I think) and my armory here.

My opening sequence is MoC > BW & AotW > KC > DB > Titan's Thunder (bc of my Legendary) > CS > KC etc, during the fight itself I always use KC and MoC on CD. BW is used off CD as well, but I do try pairing it with AotW whenever that should be possible. Rest is just dumping Focus with CS. Is there any occasion where I save my Focus, for example when my next KC is x seconds away? Also, with the Set Bonus I have now, should I just be Stomp + Blinking Strikes only?
      For my armory, I only have one question: I'm trying to go with as much Mastery as possible, but is there maybe even a cap that I should reach and then I'm actually supposed to take care of other stats? Also, I just got the Nightblooming Frond Trinket that has a few ilvls on the Entwined Elemental Foci I got from Raid Finder. Was it a good decision to replace it?

Thank you for your time!
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.
      We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - 3 or more mythic boss kills in NH.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM/MM.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Warlock: Affli/Destro.
      Any and all applications be considered.