L0rinda

hearthstone Hearthstone Mentioned in World Chess Championship Cast

4 posts in this topic

cO6sdfC.jpg

Hearthstone got an unusual shout out during commentary of Game eight of the World Chess Championship last night.

As you can imagine, commentary on Chess can wander off topic at times. During one such moment, one of the commentators, Peter Svidler, currently world number 21 (Fide Rating of 2742), managed to drop in a Hearthstone quote. He follows it up by showing knowledge of a meme that surrounds the game.

I was also amused by the way that GM Gustafsson drags the commentary back to the game after realising they've rambled long enough. We've all seen Hearthstone casts that do this!

There is more information on the event and commentators in this Reddit thread started by /u/pm_me_fargo_quotes. The YouTube video of the game can be found here.

I have to admit that I didn't realize chess commentary was a thing (and I've done my turn on the tournament scene).  Seems like there would be about 95% downtime\idle chatter.

2 hours ago, MrEdren said:

I have to admit that I didn't realize chess commentary was a thing (and I've done my turn on the tournament scene).  Seems like there would be about 95% downtime\idle chatter.

That's why it's indefinitely harder and more important than Hearthstone commentary. Either nothing happens (and it's hard to stay funny for a long time) or it's so complex you can't go over it even in 100 minutes. 

16 hours ago, MrEdren said:

I would imagine they must talk a huge amount about possible futures rather than present plays, at least for a lot of the game.