Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FireWater

Advanced questions for Frost Machinegun dps

2 posts in this topic

The advice for frost dks on this site right now seems very... oversimplified. With so much different gear, with different legendary combinations things can get rather variable, so I had a few thoughts and questions. 

Firstly, base 'rotation'. Recommended talents tend to go:  Runic Attenuation and Obliteration for single target, or Frostscythe and Glacial advance for the aoe true 'machinegun build'. Single target with obliterate is simple enough, but using machinegun build during periods of single target dps, all they have is a base priority list that seems lacking. 

They recommend: 
Frost fever up>Glacial Advance>Remorseless Winter>Frostscythe>Frost Strike

And that's really all it says. I've been sticking with the same talents even in single target, and I've been making due with the following:
Frost Fever up

Frost strike to keep Icy Talons from dropping (typically once every 2-3 global cooldowns) or if your RP is almost capped.

Frostscythe with KM proc

Howling blast with Rime proc

Glacial advance and Remorseless Winter when available

Obliterate for rune dump and rime procs

Done properly, and with normal luck on procs (and decent haste), you should be able to keep Icy Talons at near 100% uptime. 

Beyond that, the stats it advises amounts to soft crit and haste caps, then Versatility > Mastery. But a spec using lots of RW, GA, and big Frostscythe crits makes me wonder if more mastery wouldn't be better. Especially if you get  the legendary bracers (Toravon's whiteout bindings) which give an extra 15% frost damage during PoF.

With the same legendary in mind, is it worth using Frostscythe on single targets during PoF?

And if you have the bracers AND the ring that gives 2x charges of Empower Rune Weapon, how does dps compare for Breath of Sindragosa build? I can imagine amazing burst dps every 2 minutes, but would that make up for the lack of avalache and glacial advance?

well the main thing is the GA Frost Scythe build isn't really every used, like ever in raiding. It's not covering m+ but yeah I mean it's pretty 'basic' of just going to Obliteration rotation completely cutting Frost scythe of the rotation as well as GA unless you have the bracers then GA during pillar of frost is used. Keeping up icytalons of course is ideal. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ocebard
      Hey all! I need some help with my dps, Im 884 ilvl and only do 350-400k dps overall on fights in Nighthold, even on dummy. 
      I just changed to BoS build so I have to practice, but it feels imossible to get more out of him. Im a bit off at stats and havent got legendary belt, ring or set bonus. Atm I have 25% Crit but only 15% haste :-/ Simcraft says 325 dps... about 360 with Glacial advance build.
      Here is a log from Krosus
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2maWdcvFDwtyQAz6#fight=23&view=analytical&type=damage-done&source=6
      Here is my Armory 
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/defias-brotherhood/Ocebard/simple
    • By Ririxia
      ABOUT US
      We Tried is a mythic progression raiding guild formed by an ambitious raid leader seeking like minded, progression oriented players who would work together towards clearing the latest content while it is still considered relevant. After suffering some roster issues, We Tried merged with Procrastination in late December 2016 and together we have fully cleared Emerald Nightmare Mythic within just two weeks.
      OUR PAST ACCOMPLISHMENTS & FUTURE GOALS
      Although we have since slowed down, we are proud ourselves of holding the realm 27th Nythendra Mythic and 24th Elerathe Renferal Mythic kills.
      Today we are actively working towards forming a raid team that would be able to attain our previous glory and compete on a realm wide level.
      CURRENTLY RECRUITING
      Frost DK
      BM/MM Hunter
      Retri Paladin
      Shadow Priest
      Elemental & Resto Shaman
      Arms/Fury Warrior
      *Applications from exceptional players will always be considered regardless of recruitment status*
      RAID TIMES
      Wednesday 20.30 - 23.00
      Thursday 20.00 - 23.00
      Sunday 20.00 - 23.00
      IDEAL RECRUIT
      Our ideal recruits are players who are passionate about the game and about progress. Each raider is expected to do whatever they can to improve their skills outside of the raiding environment and pull their own weight within the raid.
      We are looking for mythic ready players who, without fail, know the tactics for every boss prior to entering the instance; have solid knowledge of their class and continuously strive to improve themselves; have a near 100% attendance rating; are prepared to wipe often on progression nights and can not only take the constructive criticism that comes their way but are also able to give constructive criticism back, as well as share new ideas and approaches relevant to the content we are clearing at the time.
      CONTACT & INFO
      If you have any questions or concerns you're welcome to contact me in game (Ririxia#2172) or on Discord (Ririxia#1469). You can find more info about our guild, guidelines, raiding policies, trials and the loot system, as well as apply on our website - http://we-tried.enjin.com
    • By Burnt
      Hey guys,

I'd appreciate if you could have a look at my trinket sims. I'm a little bit confused about the results, so maybe you could tell me if it seems correct?

For BoS people say strength > all, but SC reccommends me 2 non strength trinkets. 
      For ST it's Faulty Countermeasure (900) and Unstable Arcanocrystal (865).
      For MT Horn of Valor (865) and Unstable Arcanocrystal (865).

None of them has strength, could that really be the right choice for BoS?
      I also have Convergence of Fates (875), which is not reccommended as top choice, but i know Simcraft undervalues it a little bit - at least that's what i've heard.

I run mostly M+ and only 1 day per week Nighthold, so my thoughts were to use the following combinations:
      For M+ Arcanocrystal (865) / Countermeasure (900) with tyrannical affix and Arcanocrystal (865) / Horn (865) for other trash affixes.
      For raiding i thought Countermeasure (900) / CoF (875) would be best, because CoF should be more valuable in longer fights.

What do you think?

Character: 
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/tirion/Mìho/simple

Sim singletarget:
      http://xsooom.com/wow/trinkets170215_1t.html

Sim 3 targets:
      http://xsooom.com/wow/trinkets170215_3t.html

(Results are in german... but i hope most of the trinket names are still understandable. Currently equipped is FC/IA.)

Thanks in advance!
    • By Ulathar
      Hey folks,
      I play frost since TBC and since i got my hands on my 3rd legendary and 2 part t19 bonus i struggle with my current build. Maybe you can enlight me :). Here we go:
      I am at an avg gs of 888 with the following stats (unbuffed):
      30% crit
      20% haste
      31% mastery
      3% versatility
      I have the Bracers, cape and belt legendarys at my proposal, currently running with bracers + belt.
      I used to play the "normal" OBRA Build (Icy talons, Frozen Pulse, Runic Attenuation and Glacial Advance)  and did quite well. Since i got my 2 part t19 bonus i am somewhat ressource overcapped and/or GCD limited. Thats why i started tinkering around with my talents.
      Currently i play around with:
      Murderous Efficiency
      Gathering Storm
      Freezing Fog

Instead of the "normal" OBRA build. I am still not sure if this build yields better dps or not for me. Depending on proc luck i am still overcapped with ressources some times as well as ressource starved at other times cuz of the missing Runic Attenuation talent.

What do you guys think? I tried the BoS build as well but i absolutely HATE its "playstyle". can't get used to that 2 min cooldown. Most of the time I use it in a raid i get some nasty debuff and have to run -> dropping BoS xD. In mythic+ i don't like it as well because it falls off after one pack and takes 2-3 packs until its ready again...

And the last question:
      would you prefere a 880 Chest + 880 trinket (that egg thing with the poor haste proc) over Nightbane Chest at 875 alongside with the eye of command at 860?