FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

New Design

Guest WeeWilly

hi Damien,

now, please don't get angry at me.  I find 3 ads to be 2 too many, especially when they make any type of noise such as a few of the ads do (world of tanks for example). 

But good news - it looks like something got fixed as I went all over the site and all of the ads look to be appearing as they should, leaving [the] "reply" button, sign in button, etc uncovered on top.  Thanks. 

I could not make the screen shot to show you how much the right upper ad was covering, but I can promise you if I said something, then it was doing it. 

But, how does one put an image in here without going to someother site? I have no idea what "my media" is and I can't give you an url.  I guess I don't know how to do since I can't cut and paste the two I made into this post. But anyway, it is looking ok.  I am sure there will be gliches for awhile.  biggrin.png

Found one!  And it just dawned on me to just send you email with the attachements. biggrin.png  so there are two screen shots on their way.  Thanks guys!

PS - I want it to be understood,  I understand the difficult descision that was reached to change the appearence of IV. Not something to be taken lighty.  Carry on! 

And in the words of General François de Négrier - "Vous, légionnaires, vous êtes soldats pour mourir, et je vous envoie où l’on meurt!". 

Edited by WeeWilly

hi Damien,

now, please don't get angry at me.  I find 3 ads to be 2 too many, especially when they make any type of noise such as a few of the ads do (world of tanks for example). 

But good news - it looks like something got fixed as I went all over the site and all of the ads look to be appearing as they should, leaving [the] "reply" button, sign in button, etc uncovered on top.  Thanks. 

I could not make the screen shot to show you how much the right upper ad was covering, but I can promise you if I said something, then it was doing it. 

But, how does one put an image in here without going to someother site? I have no idea what "my media" is and I can't give you an url.  I guess I don't know how to do since I can't cut and paste the two I made into this post. But anyway, it is looking ok.  I am sure there will be gliches for awhile.  biggrin.png

Found one!  And it just dawned on me to just send you email with the attachements. biggrin.png  so there are two screen shots on their way.  Thanks guys!

PS - I want it to be understood,  I understand the difficult descision that was reached to change the appearence of IV. Not something to be taken lighty.  Carry on! 

And in the words of General François de Négrier - "Vous, légionnaires, vous êtes soldats pour mourir, et je vous envoie où l’on meurt!". 

Don't worry, I'm not angry at all :P Had to write my reply in a hurry before heading out for a while, so I'm sorry if I sounded annoyed. If anything, I'm annoyed at the problem. Many people have reported ads sometimes appearing over the drop down menus, but I don't know if there really is a problem or it's just that their browser hasn't recached the css update I did today, which should prevent this from happening.

Also, regarding ads, I'll post a lengthy message tomorrow explaining what our stance is on them. I would much rather not have to rely on them, but they're the only way we can keep this website running as it is (i.e. free of access).

Don't worry, I'm not angry at all tongue.png Had to write my reply in a hurry before heading out for a while, so I'm sorry if I sounded annoyed. If anything, I'm annoyed at the problem. Many people have reported ads sometimes appearing over the drop down menus, but I don't know if there really is a problem or it's just that their browser hasn't recached the css update I did today, which should prevent this from happening.

Also, regarding ads, I'll post a lengthy message tomorrow explaining what our stance is on them. I would much rather not have to rely on them, but they're the only way we can keep this website running as it is (i.e. free of access).

I shall give you a lengthy reply once that post has arrived, for now I shall only say that maybe some donating system could work, it would still be only optional but I know I would pay you to support your cause.

I shall give you a lengthy reply once that post has arrived, for now I shall only say that maybe some donating system could work, it would still be only optional but I know I would pay you to support your cause.

I intended to discuss this as well :p

• Like 1

I fixed the issue with the ads and the menus. Now, the ads are hidden when the menus appear and the only reappear when the menu disappears wink.png

Really good stuff guys now it's gone live. Brilliant to see you are always improving tweaking and pushing Icy Veins! Good job Merlynn!

Really neat and clean design, love it!

I do miss the "pop-ups" though when you hover over a spell or link with your mouse. It used to show what it was but now I seem to have to click them. Will this stay this way or are you guys still working on the mouse-overs?

I love the format. Looks great, works well.

I only have one issue...

Apparently, you have gotten some new ad streams. Some of which are quite LOUD. This is extremely annoying, especially when I'm in an instance and need to hear certain sounds to play.  I've never noticed these on your site before, and I usually have icy-veins up while playing as a reference.

Is there a way or a method for reporting these noisy ads? Wowhead has a similar issue, and they push back against their advertisers and remove these ads.

Alternately, I would be happy to pay a subscription to eliminate ads altogether.

• Like 1

I do miss the "pop-ups" though when you hover over a spell or link with your mouse. It used to show what it was but now I seem to have to click them. Will this stay this way or are you guys still working on the mouse-overs?

It does work for me.

Please, try to reset your cache and force-refresh the sit with CTRL+F5 and try again. If the issue still exist, please provide us your internet browser etc. specifications. :)

Other than what Oltier said, it could also be a temporary problem on WowDB's side tongue.png

I love the format. Looks great, works well.

I only have one issue...

Apparently, you have gotten some new ad streams. Some of which are quite LOUD. This is extremely annoying, especially when I'm in an instance and need to hear certain sounds to play.  I've never noticed these on your site before, and I usually have icy-veins up while playing as a reference.

Is there a way or a method for reporting these noisy ads? Wowhead has a similar issue, and they push back against their advertisers and remove these ads.

Alternately, I would be happy to pay a subscription to eliminate ads altogether.

I've just written this: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2781-our-stance-on-ads-and-ad-blockers/

I think you may be interested in reading it tongue.png

Here's the link: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2781-our-stance-on-ads-and-ad-blockers/

It isn't possible to set wmode=transparent for the ads. They're displayed in an iframe, and cross-domain scripting is not permitted by browsers. That said, even with wmode=opaque, the ads should still display properly. Could you please provide me with a screenshot of what is happening? I'm trying hard to fix the issue, but the problem is that I've never seen it and I've tested on Mac + Windows 7 with all the browsers we are supporting. In the worst case scenario, I'll just hide the ads when people are using the menus tongue.png

Working great now that you're hiding them on mousover smile.png  Originally posted the issue after testing Win8 + FF/IE10/Opera/Chrome.

[added]

Odd, there's currently a 300x600 in your <div class="right_ad ad_300x250_wrapper"> on this forum page (though I assume that's an issue with Integri)

Edited by Elvenbane

The new design is simple as familiar, but it does feel that it could do with being just a touch wider, there is a lot of space either side that just feels wasted.

• Like 1

Guest WeeWilly

I am not saying anything anymore. Though there have been a few ads (along with some with loud sound) that go all over the page, following my scrolling, such as what looks like ink spots and another that looked like some kind of silly voting ad.  Sorry, did not get screen shots.

UPDATE - Got the screen shots for both of these that I am talking about.  Will be sending via email to you.  They don't fit what you say they should be in a strange language and hiding this web site. 

Other than that, it does look cleaner.  biggrin.png

Thanks for the hard work folks.

Edited by WeeWilly

Working great now that you're hiding them on mousover smile.png  Originally posted the issue after testing Win8 + FF/IE10/Opera/Chrome.

[added]

Odd, there's currently a 300x600 in your <div class="right_ad ad_300x250_wrapper"> on this forum page (though I assume that's an issue with Integri)

Thanks for the report, I've sent the screenshot to our account manager at Intergi. Hopefully, they'll manage to find the ads tongue.png I'll let you know what they reply.

The new design is simple as familiar, but it does feel that it could do with being just a touch wider, there is a lot of space either side that just feels wasted.

As I was explaining there, the reason the site has that width is for advertising purposes. I'm hoping that eventually, things will change in that regard and that I'll be able to make the website larger in the future.

I am not saying anything anymore. Though there have been a few ads (along with some with loud sound) that go all over the page, following my scrolling, such as what looks like ink spots and another that looked like some kind of silly voting ad.  Sorry, did not get screen shots.

UPDATE - Got the screen shots for both of these that I am talking about.  Will be sending via email to you.  They don't fit what you say they should be in a strange language and hiding this web site. 

Other than that, it does look cleaner.  biggrin.png

Thanks for the hard work folks.

Many thanks for your reports WeeWilly. I was about to reply to you by e-mail, but since I'm replying to other messages here, I thought I'd reply to you here smile.png The feral druid page issue you noticed should be fixed now. Try reloading the page a few times and the problem should be gone. For the ads, I've reported them to Intergi. I'll let you know when they reply to me.

Guest WeeWilly

I was wondering why there was no mail from you.  :)  Always nice to see something from you or Vlad.  I figured that there is so much to IV, that not everything can be done at once, but will be over time.  Now, if only patch 5.4 comes out in 3 months so everything can be cleaned up before having to jump back into the frying pan of getting everything updated for that patch.   

Take care,

Wee Willy (soon will change name because it was changed in the game).

• Like 1

I find the new layout to be fantastic.  Only issue I run into is when I'm viewing from my tablet, I frequently get ads that exceed your preset dimensions.  and i am unsure how to get a screenshot or anything from the tablet.  It doesn't appear to be any specific offender; it appears the dimensions are simply different for all the ads on the right-hand side of the page, the squarish box.

I find the new layout to be fantastic.  Only issue I run into is when I'm viewing from my tablet, I frequently get ads that exceed your preset dimensions.  and i am unsure how to get a screenshot or anything from the tablet.  It doesn't appear to be any specific offender; it appears the dimensions are simply different for all the ads on the right-hand side of the page, the squarish box.

Thanks for you positive comment about the new design smile.png

Apparently, our ad agency is sometimes serving 300x600 ads on the right side (instead of the more standard 300x250 ads that we built the site for). In some places, it breaks the design, so we're working with them to have these ads appear only where it does not break anything. We're hoping to have it fixed tomorrow (we're never seeing these ads personally, so it took several reports to understand what was going on tongue.png)

• Like 1

I don't like this layout one bit - plain flat blue that boring to see, when posting like I doing now

all the controls are grayed out, if the sentence/word is to long it gets cut off and doesn't auto wrap to next line. Like in the warlock guide I type affliction and instead of it looking like affliction it

looked like

afflict

ion

with the ion on next line. I tested this is on multiple computers, even my mom who never been to this site and it still does this. One way to get around that is either to hit enter and type the word on the new line, or just leave it and hope it auto corrects it I given a screen shot to show, also you see

controls grayed out.

Icy-veinsmessingup_zps44f4ae15.png

I don't like this layout one bit - plain flat blue that boring to see, when posting like I doing now

all the controls are grayed out, if the sentence/word is to long it gets cut off and doesn't auto wrap to next line. Like in the warlock guide I type affliction and instead of it looking like affliction it

looked like

afflict

ion

with the ion on next line. I tested this is on multiple computers, even my mom who never been to this site and it still does this. One way to get around that is either to hit enter and type the word on the new line, or just leave it and hope it auto corrects it I given a screen shot to show, also you see

controls grayed out.

The controls are grayed out because you have the "toggle formatting option" enabled. 

35lxz7M.png

Click this button and you should see a change.  The reason that option is there was because the site had some formatting issues, and advanced users could use that to make precise formatting.  What you're seeing here has always been an option even before the new design.

The controls are grayed out because you have the "toggle formatting option" enabled. 

35lxz7M.png

Click this button and you should see a change.  The reason that option is there was because the site had some formatting issues, and advanced users could use that to make precise formatting.  What you're seeing here has always been an option even before the new design.

Been using this site since MOP launched and I never seen it grayed out until this new layout hit. Anyways that fixes the problems than now it auto wraps like it should. I been posting in the warlock forums for awhile and never knew about that. It seem the new layout disable it or somehow it got disable on my end. Thanks for the help those problems seem solved.

Now to the other one of the new layout looking plain and boring - I miss the cool background looks - this slate blue they using is dull is all.

Been using this site since MOP launched and I never seen it grayed out until this new layout hit. Anyways that fixes the problems than now it auto wraps like it should. I been posting in the warlock forums for awhile and never knew about that. It seem the new layout disable it or somehow it got disable on my end. Thanks for the help those problems seem solved.

Now to the other one of the new layout looking plain and boring - I miss the cool background looks - this slate blue they using is dull is all.

Opening the editor in that mode seems to be the default setting on our forum software now. I've spent some time trying to change that tonight, but I haven't managed to figure it out yet. It's possible that if you enable the formatting options and post like that, the editor will remember it or something, but I don't guarantee it.

It's hard to come up with a design that pleases everyone. The feedback we got on the new design is positive, for the most part, so that's a good thing. One problem with the old design is that it had a very amateurish look and it made it difficult to find partners to work with, be it ad agencies or other WoW website willing to enter some kind of partnership. For instance, last year we applied several times for the official Blizzard fansite program and we were rejected every time on the basis that the website's look and feel wasn't up to certain standards (we're an official fansite now).

Well, Damien explained the biggest reason for the change was because of Ads.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2781-our-stance-on-ads-and-ad-blockers/

This post gives their stance on Ads and might show why they elected this new layout.

I don't think it's the message I tried to convey. We did reduce the width of the website for advertisement purposes, but that's just one thing (amongst many) that changed with the new design :p