Zadina

hearthstone Developer Q&A on Friday, January 13th

5 posts in this topic

JLIHNQTAV5O51484026848447.jpg

Hearthstone Game Director Ben Brode and Game Designer Dean Ayala will answer all your questions on a live Q&A session on Twitch this Friday!

The complaints about the lack of communication from the part of the Hearthstone team have been answered. This Friday the 13th (!) of January, Ben Brode and Dean Ayala will answer questions about some of the most heated topics that currently affect the playerbase. Ben has already made some posts about issues like the Classic card set and the possibility of some Classic cards rotating out of Standard.

As always, we will try to have a recap of the Q&A as soon as it is finished.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard Entertainment

Pull up a chair by the hearth! Join Hearthstone Game Director Ben Brode and Game Designer Dean Ayala January 13 at 9:00am PST for a live Q&A session on Twitch. Our developers will be sharing some insight about the state of the game, the new player experience, the ranked play system, and answering your questions live.

Ben BrodeDean Ayala

Have some questions for Ben and Dean? Here’s how you can be part of the conversation:

- Tweet @PlayHearthstone with the hashtag #QA with your question

- Post a question below in the blog comments

- Join us live in Twitch chat and direct questions to us @PlayHearthstone

Can’t make it? Don’t worry – we will be posting the full video on the PlayHearthstone YouTube after the Q&A has completed.

Follow the official Hearthstone Twitch channel to be notified when the stream begins.

We’ll see you there!

(source)

I think their casual balancing algorithms are weak sauce.  On my FTP account where I'm always playing super-budget decks, I always get put up against people with Rag, Sylvanas, Patches et al.  That's about as balanced as a horse with one leg.

I guess what might be happening is that there's not enough players on that server at that time to match me properly, so they just go "ah well, let's put the poor sucker with no legendary cards in the pit with the all-gold decks".

It would be nice if I could see what value the other play is regarded as by the secret algorithm that decides such things.  (I can see the rank, in ranked - why not the match differential in casual?)

It's my understanding that they match beginners with beginners, but once you're past a certain point (I don't know what that is) then casual is just one big open pool.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, JohnnyZ said:

It's my understanding that they match beginners with beginners, but once you're past a certain point (I don't know what that is) then casual is just one big open pool.

This is pretty much how I understand it as well. They keep the most specific matchmaking for the complete beginners and then once you have either reached a certain level on a number of heroes or reached a certain rank, you get put into the mosh pit with anyone from your level to Legend.