Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zadina

blizzard Activision Blizzard Q4 2016 Earnings Call Report

6 posts in this topic

MWyH4TR.jpg

Activision Blizzard has revealed its results for the last quarter of 2016, as well as some general information about the previous year. Overwatch was the big winner for Blizzard in 2016.

2016 was one the best years ever for Activision Blizzard and its Blizzard Entertainment division. To be more precise, Blizzard had its highest average Monthly Active Users (MAUs) in 2016 at 36 million, up 37% from 2016 and 87% from 2014. For the last quarter of 2016, Blizzard's MAUs rose to 41 million.

As far as player investment is concerned, Blizzard had record levels of quarterly and full-year in-game revenues, driven by World of Warcraft in-game content and continued strength of Overwatch customization items. An interesting detail is that Blizzard doesn't depend that much on World of Warcraft for its earnings (more than 60% of its segments revenues came from its other franchises) and that 20% of its revenues came from consoles.

There are plans for more linear media (that is comics, digital animated movies and perhaps even TV series or films) planned for all of Blizzard's titles - especially, though, for Overwatch. Blizzard's newest title proved to be a success since it became the company's fastest game ever to reach 25 million players, surpassing Diablo III's previous record.

Lastly, World of Warcraft's subscribers grew by 10% in 2016 and over 20% in the last months of 2016, proving that Legion has managed to revitalise the game. Hearthstone also saw its playerbase rise by 20% last year. There was no mention of Heroes of the Storm, Diablo III and StarCraft 2.

You can find the entire report here and the slideshow presentation here.

1 person likes this

Is it good? Is it better? Is it going to the right direction? 

Good for Blizzard.  I hope they continue to go strong.

5 hours ago, ethme said:

Is it good? Is it better? Is it going to the right direction? 

It's hard to say for definite, like its up to perception. What can be taken from it is OverWatch is over-powered, WoW got more life from Legion and Hearthstone is a bit more popular. But mainly Overwatch.

Since heroes of the storm, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 got no mention. I am guessing they aren't that popular. I wonder if they will continue to support these three games in a few years.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Prepare to redisover a classic. StarCraft® Remastered can now be pre-purchased for 14.99$ and will release by the end of August 2017.
      Pre-purchase Unlocks: the new Korhal Command Center, Char Hive, and Aiur Nexus. The official video published on Starcraft's YouTube channel has a release date of August 14.
      Here's the official announcement taken from Blizzard's website.
      Blizzard (Source)
       StarCraft: Remastered upgrades Blizzard Entertainment’s original sci-fi real-time strategy game and its acclaimed expansion, StarCraft: Brood War, from beginning to end. Experience the intergalactic battle between the terran, protoss, and zerg with improved graphics and audio…and the same classic gameplay that made StarCraft a global phenomenon.
      Return to the Koprulu Sector
      Discover the story that started it all as three races (the mechanized terrans, psi-powered protoss, and insectoid zerg) encounter each other for the first time. Engage in a legendary conflict that spans worlds over the course of more than 50 campaign missions.

Real-time Strategy Restored
      Once you’ve completed the campaign, go head-to-head or team up with other players online. Command your faction and vie for control of eight unique environments. Build your base, conscript your army, and lead one of StarCraft’s three radically different races to victory.

Upgrade Complete
      Pre-purchase Unlocks: Korhal Command Center, Aiur Nexus, and Char Hive.

• By Zadina

Members of Twitch Prime can now get rewards in Overwatch, while they will be able to get more rewards in the future in Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm.
      Twitch Prime offers a limited time deal in 3 different Blizzard titles. Only the Overwatch rewards have been revealed for now. By purchasing a membership, you can immediately get a golden Loot Box with at least one guaranteed Legendary item. Moreover, you will receive five standard Loot Boxes in August and another five in October.
      More free loot for Twitch Prime members will come soon for Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. When Twitch Prime was first announced, Hearthstone players could get the Priest hero Tyrande with their membership.
      You can find more information on this promotion here.
      Earlier today, Blizzard and Twitch signed a two-year deal with the latter one streaming major e-sports competitions for all of the former's gaming titles.
    • By Stan

After 5 years, Lead PvP Designer Holinka is leaving the World of Warcraft team. He was offered a new opportunity at Blizzard, so he's going to be working on another title.
      We wish him best of luck with the new job!
      Placeholder for tweet 875451948635348992 Blizzard (Source)
      Five years ago, I received a phone call from Blizzard offering me the chance of a lifetime—a position on the World of Warcraft team.

Simply put, this is my favorite game of all time, and working on it these past five years has been a dream come true. I have learned so much from the women and men who make it and everyone who plays it. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to work on a game that so many people around the world are so passionate about.

A few weeks ago, I was offered a new opportunity at Blizzard that I’m really excited about. Tomorrow is my last day working on World of Warcraft.

As a longtime player, I couldn't be more excited about what the future has in store for World of Warcraft. In particular, the PvP team remains hard at work on some incredible plans. I fully expect that the best years of World of Warcraft PvP are ahead of us.

Thank you to everyone involved with World of Warcraft, from the development team to the players, for letting me be a part of this game's community. I consider it a great privilege.

Brian Holinka
    • By Stan

A new job posting by Blizzard hints at a remaster of old titles. While Starcraft remaster has been confirmed, will we see Diablo II & Warcraft III remastered as well? 
      Blizzard's looking for a Senior Software Designer for their office in Irvine, CA. According to the description, Blizzard plans to "restore them to glory".
      Starcraft Remaster was already confirmed by Blizzard. (Thanks to @SMOrcMan for the link)
      Job Description
      Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.
      We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.
      If you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players, we would love to hear from you.
      (Source)
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 10,000 members in 11 different guilds, we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      In WoW: 
      9 Raid Teams - ranging from Normal to Mythic 7/7 M + 7/10 M Progression Multiple PvP Teams Room for advancement as a staff member Always active guild chat - 11 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: Mog contests, races, mythic dungeons, achievement runs Out of WoW:
      Private game servers w/ events Communities on Steam, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit Awesome CoGuild merchandise like; Shirts, Hoodies, and more BF1 + BF4 Clan ESO Guild Rust Clan FFXIV Company Game Marathon Weekends: Rust, 7D2D, Rocket League, Tabletop Sim, Tower Unite, and more Always active Discord w/ over 2500 connected users Drinking Nights _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      More Information:
      <Currently Online> Has something to offer for everyone, if you are a hardcore raider or a hardcore casual, you can find a place here at Currently Online. If you want more information about our group you can visit us at our website: www.currentlyonline.gg , or contact an officer directly.
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      Empathine#3105
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!