Stan

Further Legendary Clarifications Based on Q/A

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

yb2JF7m.jpg

Ion conducted a Q/A yesterday and Lore came to the forums to answer additional questions about Legendary items, revolving around bad luck protection and Relinquished items.

It deals with bad luck protection for every spec and how the system handles Legendary items that can drop for more than a single spec. The unidentified Legendary items we reported about earlier were just a developer idea with the intent to fix loot specialization and Legendaries. It won't be implemented now as bad luck protection will now function for every spec individually. Legendary items targetting was also confirmed via Relinquished items.

Blizzard LogoLore (Source)

1) How does the above work in regards to Non-spec-based Legendaries (like Shard of the ExodarShard of the Exodar for mages, who works for all 3 specs. Does it account for ALL specs, or just the one that it was dropped on?

If a Legendary can drop for your spec, it counts. An easy way to check this is to open the Adventure Guide ingame (Shift-J by default) and click the "Loot" tab without having a dungeon or raid selected. That'll show you which Legendaries are counted for your spec.

2) Very similar to the above, how do items like Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum OpusPrydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus/Sephuz's SecretSephuz's Secret/Kil'jaeden's Burning WishKil'jaeden's Burning Wish etc work under this system? Does it count for the spec it dropped on, or for all specs?

Same as above.

3) The PTR has had "Unidentified <Class> Legendary" items in its database for a while, and it's been speculated that these were a 'failsafe' for people accidentally getting a legendary in the 'wrong spec' and blowing their accrued Bad Luck Protection -- are these unidentified items still going live, are they going to be scrapped in light of the spec-based droprate/BLP ? If they are going live, is it intended behavior that people could play offspecs with low number of legendaries, or none, get these items quickly (since the first 2 legendaries drop faster), and then swap to their 'main spec' as a way to get a few more legendaries 'quickly' (in comparison to the norm) ?

These were part of an experimental concept that we've since decided not to go ahead with, at least for now. The idea wasn't exactly what you're speculating, but our concerns were similar.

4) How does BLP 'acquisition' work under this new spec-based system? Do I 'build up' BLP for all specs as I play, or only for the one currently set as my Loot Specialization? If it builds for all of them, this has possible unintended consequences, where once I get an item in 1 spec, I know I should swap to the others and get items 'relatively fast' since the BLP is built up a fair bit (assuming it wasn't RNGesus giving you an item very very early on)

This one I'm actually not certain on the answer, but I'll look into it.

So basically if you have utility legendaries you are even more screwed than before because you already have that many legendaries for every spec.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd make the argument that if you have cross-spec Legendaries and play multiple specs, you're already at an advantage in that they're functional for your other specs. I have the Leggings of The Black FlameLeggings of The Black Flame and Unison SpauldersUnison Spaulders on my Mistweaver; neither of them do anything at all when I play Brewmaster.

I feel like this comes back to a lot of the utility legendaries are still just "bad" some like Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum OpusPrydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus and Sephuz's SecretSephuz's Secret are better. But there are other's like Acherus DrapesAcherus Drapes and Uther's GuardUther's Guard that remain disappointing as ever to receive. I leveled a DK as a fun alt, got Acherus DrapesAcherus Drapes as its first legendary, i am tempted to just delete the character and try again if I had gotten Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum OpusPrydaz i wouldn't have felt this way as it has far more value. Or i have been considering leveling my warrior and just hoping for better luck. You mentioned this in the QA but please take a close look at all the legendarys (including healer ones). To make sure there aren't so many egregious outliers, i should emphasize this is a much larger problem for healers right now than DPS.

Yep, this is the important point to remember: if a legendary just sucks, then that's the problem we need to fix. Similarly, if your spec sucks without a particular legendary, then that legendary also needs to be fixed to not be so impactful.

Regarding Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum OpusPrydaz, specifically: It's maybe not the most exciting legendary right now, but it's certainly strong. The stats make it a solid, reliable throughput upgrade, and in the immortal words of Sebudai: "It's pretty easy to figure out how much DPS you're doing as a corpse on the ground."

As for Sephuz's SecretSephuz: it has a weird, but temporary, issue. When you only have one or two legendaries, it sucks that it does nothing on the fights where you can't proc it. No argument there. Eventually, though, you'll have a third legendary, and it opens up for some interesting gameplay, where you swap it on for fights with a lot of dispels, interrupts, or controllable targets, and swap it out for the ones that don't. It's not always useful, but it's really good when it is. That's not a bad thing.

Those seem to be the two that most commonly come up as "bad," but we'll keep discussing the other options as well. I know there's a few tweaks planned to some that haven't yet hit the PTR.

Overall, though, I just wanted to drive home the point that if you're upset at how long it might take you to get your next Legendary because the ones you have are bad, we want to fix that by making the ones you have better.

We.Want.A.Way.To.Target.Spec.Specific.Slot.Specific. BEST IN SLOT.

A) I think your spacebar is broken.

B) You'll be able to do exactly that through the Relinquished gear tokens in Patch 7.2.

Wait, was this a confirmation that we can actually target slots?

Correct. The current plan is that if you purchase a Relinquished token for, say, shoulders, and it gives you a legendary, it gives you legendary shoulders.

Massive wall of caveats here just because I don't want to over-promise:

• This is PTR. Anything can change at any moment. Many things already have.
  • We don't have a solid handle yet on how long it will take to earn these things, or what the chance of them becoming a legendary will be. We need to be confident that the Broken Shore content itself is stabilized before we can start figuring out things like how quickly you earn Nethershards or how much these tokens cost.
  • Their primary purpose is still as catch-up gear, similar to what was available on the Timeless Isle or Hellfire Peninsula. We don't consider this a "silver bullet" solve to all legendary-related issues, and aren't trying to make it be one. Still, if you just desperately want that one specific legendary, this might be an option worth considering.

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Blizzard LogoLore (Source)

Yep, this is the important point to remember: if a legendary just sucks, then that's the problem we need to fix. Similarly, if your spec sucks without a particular legendary, then that legendary also needs to be fixed to not be so impactful.

THIS... this attitude is one of the biggest sources of the problems we now have with legendaries. He didn't even think of making a spec which is not so dependant on legendaries, instead he will just nerf the legendary to make the spec suck even with it. Ofc this would be fixed or changed some time in future, next content maybe. But don't you guys think it would be nice if they had some better foresight? I mean it doesn't even need to be explained, it's so simple that the classes should be playable without legendaries too. This is exactly what was done to mages and demon hunters before 7.1.5. Too strong? NERF BLOODLET. Too weak? Let it wait for the next content. Some guilds don't want mage without legies? Well, get the legies biatch!

Edited by Haheisenberg
typo

3 hours ago, Haheisenberg said:

He didn't even think of making a spec which is not so dependant on legendaries, instead he will just nerf the legendary to make the spec suck even with it.

Yeah, but i have to say that it is really a funny fact =D....its well known as "solving the issue but not the cause"

3 hours ago, Haheisenberg said:

He didn't even think of making a spec which is not so dependant on legendaries, instead he will just nerf the legendary to make the spec suck even with it.

...that sounds less like a 'legendary' issue, than it is a 'spec/build' issue.

How can they so constantly be off the mark like this lmao

Woo Relinquished items so you can target specific legendaries... Woo your BLP will get reset completely out of your control because you can't prevent getting legendaries from other sources while you collect relinquished tokens hoping to eventually get a legendary (and if you were on your first or second you shoot yourself in the foot.)

Unless they completely disable getting random legendaries and relinquished tokens become the -only- source, this does -not- fix anything. And nevermind that a lot of specs have an amazing ring which shares a slot with *drum roll* Sephuz's Secret!

Edited by Ammako

On 02/24/2017 at 3:21 AM, Stan said:

Wait, was this a confirmation that we can actually target slots?

Correct. The current plan is that if you purchase a Relinquished token for, say, shoulders, and it gives you a legendary, it gives you legendary shoulders.

I know this is like what ammako said but it's true it still doesn't help that much. I can buy 10 of these, let's say wrist trying for fire mage, and no legendary. Now these 10 failed attempts at legendary add to this stacking increased chance at legendary drop. I now go and run a mythic +10 and the chest at the end gives me sephuz and now I'm screwed again. We would need to be able to buy many of these and do no other legendary drop chance content until we get the legendary we are rolling for.

Edited by Apgunner
Added to first line
  • Like 1