FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bbsalt

[Fury]How does attackspeed/haste affect me

Hello! New to forums, and sorta WoW. I played a mage back in WotLK but nothing since and have started a Warrior with intentions of high end PvE/PvP, currently level 54.

I have lots of questions, but two that I need help with today are 1) I'm duel wielding two-handers and have no idea how this affects my spells? I understand that a weapon in the off hand position does less than it would in the main hand but is that just for auto attacks? I noticed in my combat logs yesterday that some of my spell hits had (off-hand) next to the log, but I'm having trouble telling how that affects how/when I should use abilities like execute/rampage.

2)How in the world does attack speed affect my spells, and to add.. how does haste affect my weapon speed? I thought weapon speed increases auto attack (White damage) speed only and haste is only for GCD, but on icy veins they list Enrage as the most important thing for fury warriors to keep up, but aren't auto attacks only a small portion of my damage? and it says to make sure to have enrage up before bladestorming?

I've tried googling how attack speed/haste works and no one addresses the questions I asked which makes me think I'm totally missing something obvious so sorry if that's the case but thanks for any help.

Oh wow, you wanna have a really deep insight into mechanics. I have to say that i haven't spent much time in these questions because it's nothing what you really should care. At the moment we running with legendary weapons so it's not necessary to know what happens if you switch your weapon. I don't understand why you wanna care about mainhand/offhand when you're using spells. You're lvl 54 and wanna optimize your dmg with switching weapons from mainhand to offhand or otherwise? So i have a simple advice: use the weapon with highest DPS in your mainhand.

With more haste, you hit faster and you reduce the cooldown of certain spells. Don't think about that too much, there are guides which provides the breakpoints of haste (if they exists).

Your white-damage is far away from being a small amount. I recommend to not questioning a guide as long you are not at max level and have made some experience :-)

On 16/04/2017 at 9:27 AM, Bbsalt said:

Hello! New to forums, and sorta WoW. I played a mage back in WotLK but nothing since and have started a Warrior with intentions of high end PvE/PvP, currently level 54.

I have lots of questions, but two that I need help with today are 1) I'm duel wielding two-handers and have no idea how this affects my spells? I understand that a weapon in the off hand position does less than it would in the main hand but is that just for auto attacks? I noticed in my combat logs yesterday that some of my spell hits had (off-hand) next to the log, but I'm having trouble telling how that affects how/when I should use abilities like execute/rampage.

2)How in the world does attack speed affect my spells, and to add.. how does haste affect my weapon speed? I thought weapon speed increases auto attack (White damage) speed only and haste is only for GCD, but on icy veins they list Enrage as the most important thing for fury warriors to keep up, but aren't auto attacks only a small portion of my damage? and it says to make sure to have enrage up before bladestorming?

I've tried googling how attack speed/haste works and no one addresses the questions I asked which makes me think I'm totally missing something obvious so sorry if that's the case but thanks for any help.

While it's true that these questions are not relevant to the kind of content you are going through right now, I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

1) There is no different functionality across different types of weapons, your spells are all balanced around dual-wielding 2Hs. You generally want your hardest hitting weapon in your main hand though. The damage number shown in the spell's tooltip is mainhand+offhand damage. You can test whether switching the weapon positions changes the damage of your spells by looking at that. Currently, once you get to the Broken Shore you'll get an Artifact Weapon which "levels with you," so you won't be swapping weapons in high-end content. Also, don't use Rampage if your target is in Execute range. Use Bloodthirst whenever you can and Execute when you have the rage for it.

2) Haste is a percentage that affects the speed of some things you do, like basic attacks, cast times, and some spells' cooldowns. Your attack speed is dictated by the weapon you're using, which will probably be 3.6s (0.27 attack per second) for you. For simplicity, let's consider a spell with 10s cd that is affected by Haste. If you have 15% Haste, your spell will have 8.5s of cooldown, and your attack speed will be 3.13 (0.32 attack per second). For a high-end Fury player (Heroic and Mythic raiders), auto-attacks make up for 13-15% of total damage, being the 2nd largest portion behind Raging Blow, sometimes falling to 3rd behind Execute depending on the fight. It's a considerable part of your damage. As far as Enrage goes, there is another side to it that is your Mastery. Mastery is a passive effect that you unlock at level 78 and works differently for each spec. For Fury, it'll boost all the damage you do while Enraged by 11%, and is increased by the Mastery secondary stat. So on top of boosting your 2nd/3rd most important source of damage right now, Enrage will also increase ALL your damage after you unlock Mastery.

• Like 1

On 30.4.2017 at 5:14 PM, face2face said:

I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

Because this is (in my opinion) the best advice to give a player who is still in lvling-process and hasn't done some endgame content. All i can write is already very well explained in guides. I would juste give some pieces of information which aren't well structured and not comprehensive as necessary (what i think isn't helpful and just leads to more questions than before).

So my intention was (and still is) that he thinks he's missing something if he doesn't understand some mechanics...and this is not the case. This was my message: don't agonize and enjoy the game. At higher level its easier to understand and to read a guide.

Edited by Allseye

On 4/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, face2face said:

While it's true that these questions are not relevant to the kind of content you are going through right now, I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

1) There is no different functionality across different types of weapons, your spells are all balanced around dual-wielding 2Hs. You generally want your hardest hitting weapon in your main hand though. The damage number shown in the spell's tooltip is mainhand+offhand damage. You can test whether switching the weapon positions changes the damage of your spells by looking at that. Currently, once you get to the Broken Shore you'll get an Artifact Weapon which "levels with you," so you won't be swapping weapons in high-end content. Also, don't use Rampage if your target is in Execute range. Use Bloodthirst whenever you can and Execute when you have the rage for it.

2) Haste is a percentage that affects the speed of some things you do, like basic attacks, cast times, and some spells' cooldowns. Your attack speed is dictated by the weapon you're using, which will probably be 3.6s (0.27 attack per second) for you. For simplicity, let's consider a spell with 10s cd that is affected by Haste. If you have 15% Haste, your spell will have 8.5s of cooldown, and your attack speed will be 3.13 (0.32 attack per second). For a high-end Fury player (Heroic and Mythic raiders), auto-attacks make up for 13-15% of total damage, being the 2nd largest portion behind Raging Blow, sometimes falling to 3rd behind Execute depending on the fight. It's a considerable part of your damage. As far as Enrage goes, there is another side to it that is your Mastery. Mastery is a passive effect that you unlock at level 78 and works differently for each spec. For Fury, it'll boost all the damage you do while Enraged by 11%, and is increased by the Mastery secondary stat. So on top of boosting your 2nd/3rd most important source of damage right now, Enrage will also increase ALL your damage after you unlock Mastery.

Yo exactly what I needed! I was put off from forums due to no response but wish I had kept checking lol. 

I've slowly learnt most of this since I hit 110 but still didn't quite understand the ability dmg so thanks for clearing that up!