Bbsalt

[Fury]How does attackspeed/haste affect me

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

Hello! New to forums, and sorta WoW. I played a mage back in WotLK but nothing since and have started a Warrior with intentions of high end PvE/PvP, currently level 54.

I have lots of questions, but two that I need help with today are 1) I'm duel wielding two-handers and have no idea how this affects my spells? I understand that a weapon in the off hand position does less than it would in the main hand but is that just for auto attacks? I noticed in my combat logs yesterday that some of my spell hits had (off-hand) next to the log, but I'm having trouble telling how that affects how/when I should use abilities like execute/rampage.

2)How in the world does attack speed affect my spells, and to add.. how does haste affect my weapon speed? I thought weapon speed increases auto attack (White damage) speed only and haste is only for GCD, but on icy veins they list Enrage as the most important thing for fury warriors to keep up, but aren't auto attacks only a small portion of my damage? and it says to make sure to have enrage up before bladestorming?

 

I've tried googling how attack speed/haste works and no one addresses the questions I asked which makes me think I'm totally missing something obvious so sorry if that's the case but thanks for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, you wanna have a really deep insight into mechanics. I have to say that i haven't spent much time in these questions because it's nothing what you really should care. At the moment we running with legendary weapons so it's not necessary to know what happens if you switch your weapon. I don't understand why you wanna care about mainhand/offhand when you're using spells. You're lvl 54 and wanna optimize your dmg with switching weapons from mainhand to offhand or otherwise? So i have a simple advice: use the weapon with highest DPS in your mainhand.

With more haste, you hit faster and you reduce the cooldown of certain spells. Don't think about that too much, there are guides which provides the breakpoints of haste (if they exists).

Your white-damage is far away from being a small amount. I recommend to not questioning a guide as long you are not at max level and have made some experience :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2017 at 9:27 AM, Bbsalt said:

Hello! New to forums, and sorta WoW. I played a mage back in WotLK but nothing since and have started a Warrior with intentions of high end PvE/PvP, currently level 54.

I have lots of questions, but two that I need help with today are 1) I'm duel wielding two-handers and have no idea how this affects my spells? I understand that a weapon in the off hand position does less than it would in the main hand but is that just for auto attacks? I noticed in my combat logs yesterday that some of my spell hits had (off-hand) next to the log, but I'm having trouble telling how that affects how/when I should use abilities like execute/rampage.

2)How in the world does attack speed affect my spells, and to add.. how does haste affect my weapon speed? I thought weapon speed increases auto attack (White damage) speed only and haste is only for GCD, but on icy veins they list Enrage as the most important thing for fury warriors to keep up, but aren't auto attacks only a small portion of my damage? and it says to make sure to have enrage up before bladestorming?

 

I've tried googling how attack speed/haste works and no one addresses the questions I asked which makes me think I'm totally missing something obvious so sorry if that's the case but thanks for any help.

While it's true that these questions are not relevant to the kind of content you are going through right now, I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

1) There is no different functionality across different types of weapons, your spells are all balanced around dual-wielding 2Hs. You generally want your hardest hitting weapon in your main hand though. The damage number shown in the spell's tooltip is mainhand+offhand damage. You can test whether switching the weapon positions changes the damage of your spells by looking at that. Currently, once you get to the Broken Shore you'll get an Artifact Weapon which "levels with you," so you won't be swapping weapons in high-end content. Also, don't use Rampage if your target is in Execute range. Use Bloodthirst whenever you can and Execute when you have the rage for it.

2) Haste is a percentage that affects the speed of some things you do, like basic attacks, cast times, and some spells' cooldowns. Your attack speed is dictated by the weapon you're using, which will probably be 3.6s (0.27 attack per second) for you. For simplicity, let's consider a spell with 10s cd that is affected by Haste. If you have 15% Haste, your spell will have 8.5s of cooldown, and your attack speed will be 3.13 (0.32 attack per second). For a high-end Fury player (Heroic and Mythic raiders), auto-attacks make up for 13-15% of total damage, being the 2nd largest portion behind Raging Blow, sometimes falling to 3rd behind Execute depending on the fight. It's a considerable part of your damage. As far as Enrage goes, there is another side to it that is your Mastery. Mastery is a passive effect that you unlock at level 78 and works differently for each spec. For Fury, it'll boost all the damage you do while Enraged by 11%, and is increased by the Mastery secondary stat. So on top of boosting your 2nd/3rd most important source of damage right now, Enrage will also increase ALL your damage after you unlock Mastery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.4.2017 at 5:14 PM, face2face said:

I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

Because this is (in my opinion) the best advice to give a player who is still in lvling-process and hasn't done some endgame content. All i can write is already very well explained in guides. I would juste give some pieces of information which aren't well structured and not comprehensive as necessary (what i think isn't helpful and just leads to more questions than before).

So my intention was (and still is) that he thinks he's missing something if he doesn't understand some mechanics...and this is not the case. This was my message: don't agonize and enjoy the game. At higher level its easier to understand and to read a guide.

Edited by Allseye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, face2face said:

While it's true that these questions are not relevant to the kind of content you are going through right now, I don't see how saying "don't worry about it, read the guides" is helpful.

1) There is no different functionality across different types of weapons, your spells are all balanced around dual-wielding 2Hs. You generally want your hardest hitting weapon in your main hand though. The damage number shown in the spell's tooltip is mainhand+offhand damage. You can test whether switching the weapon positions changes the damage of your spells by looking at that. Currently, once you get to the Broken Shore you'll get an Artifact Weapon which "levels with you," so you won't be swapping weapons in high-end content. Also, don't use Rampage if your target is in Execute range. Use Bloodthirst whenever you can and Execute when you have the rage for it.

2) Haste is a percentage that affects the speed of some things you do, like basic attacks, cast times, and some spells' cooldowns. Your attack speed is dictated by the weapon you're using, which will probably be 3.6s (0.27 attack per second) for you. For simplicity, let's consider a spell with 10s cd that is affected by Haste. If you have 15% Haste, your spell will have 8.5s of cooldown, and your attack speed will be 3.13 (0.32 attack per second). For a high-end Fury player (Heroic and Mythic raiders), auto-attacks make up for 13-15% of total damage, being the 2nd largest portion behind Raging Blow, sometimes falling to 3rd behind Execute depending on the fight. It's a considerable part of your damage. As far as Enrage goes, there is another side to it that is your Mastery. Mastery is a passive effect that you unlock at level 78 and works differently for each spec. For Fury, it'll boost all the damage you do while Enraged by 11%, and is increased by the Mastery secondary stat. So on top of boosting your 2nd/3rd most important source of damage right now, Enrage will also increase ALL your damage after you unlock Mastery.

Yo exactly what I needed! I was put off from forums due to no response but wish I had kept checking lol. 

I've slowly learnt most of this since I hit 110 but still didn't quite understand the ability dmg so thanks for clearing that up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Pirate Warrior Deck List Guide.
    • By Neshama
      Hi, several players told me, that my warrior is not having enough HP as he should with current item level.
      Here is the link to armory
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/burning-legion/wienkszy

      How can I push my HP higher, is there any way I can increase it ?  Trinkets, relics, items. Am I  missing something ? 
    • By Krommush
      Hello, sorry for my bad english. I post here because i've some problems with my DPS in ToS M, my IL is 928 and i only can rise and mantain 900k-1M but when i will do simmin in raidbots my dps rise 1.4 M :S.
      Here is lastest logs of yesterday, i've between 250 -350 ms of ping always.
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RHXLrcZvYn9KN8bh/
      I can't put images of my gear and talent set, i don't know why.
      Thx for answer this and help me :)
       
    • By bowsersfury
      Hello, 
      I am concerned that I am severely under performing as a fury warrior. I can manage to parse typically in the 80s for almost every fight in heroic ToS with a few exceptions: Mistress, Host, Avatar. I'm currently 933 equipped and I'm not at all concerned about my stats... I know I should and could be parsing in the 90s. But I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. 
       
      My opener looks something like this: Charge, Pop Moonglaives trinket, Pop all CDS, Raging Blow, Oden's Fury, Rampage, then start normal priority rotation: Enraged RB>100 rage Rampage>RB>BT>FS. 
       
      I have recently discovered that I have been doing my execute phase entirely wrong. I just went and tried first two bosses of heroic ToS again. Parses went up slightly... Goroth: 83->89, Inquis:84->90 but still not where I need to be. 
      Another think I'd like to mention is that I try to prioritize Enraged RB @100 rage before hitting rampage. According to Kelade (one of top fury warriors in US), this is 100k dps difference. Although at times I find myself in an awkward situation where I'm at 100 rage with RB on CD and I literally have to wait a whole global to hit it... I'd like to know how to make that stop lol. 
       
      Last issue I'd like to bring up is this: Most of the time not all my CDs will line up perfectly together... BC, glaives, OF will be up but Avatar will be down. I'm slightly confused about when to use All/some of my cds... especially on fights like heroic KJ. Fights like Harj and Miss I'm confused about if I should hold all my cds for adds or blow them in the beginning along with prepot... I feel like prepot is a total waste without cds...
       
      Below you will find the link to my armory and logs. Please Help me. I need to be parsing much higher than I am. My guild is doing mythic and I don't want to be the one holding us back.  
       
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/stormrage/bòwser
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/26903184
    • By MarcHethrusWaters
      Maximum Effort is a new guild on Cenarion circle (A). I was the raid leader for my guild for a long time and we built up a strong raid team. Due to do some dis-agreements between me and the guild leader I was forced to leave. But luckly enough a lot of my team followed me! We're working to build a guild focused around team work and group progression. We love doing mythics, raids, talking and theory crafting about the game!
      We have a very strong-core raid group, capable of clearing heroic and doing some mythic but we're just missing a few people to round it out!
      Raid nights.. Tue/wed 6-830pm server (9:30-11:30 est) Off night Monday 6-830pm server (9-11:30 est)
      Looking for.. -Any and all dps specs
      - Non pally or holy priest healer!
      All raid mats and needs are covered by guild, we run personal look just for the ease of it.
      My btag is Hethrus#1504 if you have questions or wish to try out!