Merklynn

Holy Priest DPS - 5.4 Guide

Sign in to follow this  

14 posts in this topic

Dear Priests,

I have written a guide on how to play as a Holy Priest DPS spec for World of Warcraft 5.4:

http://www.michaeloglesby.com/holy-priest-dps

Some of you are probably thinking 'WTF? Holy Priest DPS? You have lost your mind mate'. I thought the same thing as well, so don't dismiss it, you'll be surprised on the results.

I have been playing Holy Priest DPS for the last three months with some great results.

Enjoy.

I've been doing holy priest dps since the beginning when it first got introduced. Great pointers. But things I would change.

Stat priority should be haste to 8085 (just like shadow) then crit and then all the haste you can get after that, prioritizing crit.

Twist of Fate is better than power infusion because of the huge uptime you can get from healing and dpsing at the same time.

While it is a strong dps class, the only thing it *shines* at is as being an atonement like dps. It's ability to heal and dps surpasses any other healing spec. If you do the normal rotation and add in CoH/PoM/Lightspring/Divine Hymn, you basically become a full dps and 1/2 to 3/4 healer. It makes you an absurdly powerful 3rd healer in fights you don't need the full 3rd healer.

• Like 1

Well, i gotta say, i tried this out on a training dummy and got like 80k dps(530ish ilvl), its nowhere near a full dps

So I made a shadow offspec and a holy offspec and target dummied for about 2 minutes each and got Shadow: 132k dps, and holy 119k dps.  Considering that mastery is a dead stat for holy and not for shadow, I take this to mean that yes, holy is a viable dps spec but with severe gear restrictions.

Can we get an armory and some logs?

• Like 1

Disc DPS serves as a utility player since they heal while adding some DPS.  Holy DPS is just a confused DPS.  Why not just go Shadow?  Otherwise, you have to bounce back and forth between healing and DPS and that just doesn't seem...worthwhile.

Zagam, for single target fights, I'm pretty sure that holy priest would do more damage.  Just don't have him heal and have him as true dps roll. 

Hi guys,

Thank you all for reading my guide and having a great discussion.

Where Holy DPS Priest really excel is with Add-Control. With Mind Sear and Chakra: Chastise, you can do a lot more DPS than a Shadow Priest. 

Yes, Holy Priest DPS may not do more DPS than a Shadow Priest DPS on single target, but does a Shadow Priest have Divine Hymn or Hymn of Hope? Can a SP help out with the healing if it went a bit wrong?

Holy Priest DPS will never be top of the DPS and HPS meters, it's just another form of play that might be fun to players who play the Priest class who are bored with Shadow or Disc.

A fun aside, this makes the You're Doing It Wrong (silver in proving grounds with spec and trial mismatch) really easy =)

Well, I ran with our guild flex run to give this a shot.  My dps was competitive, but my competition was all flex-geared alts =/ 

My conclusion on the subject is that, even if all of my mastery were crit, my dps at ilvl 570 would stil be comprable to a traditional dps-er about 20 ilvls below myself. 

Well, I ran with our guild flex run to give this a shot.  My dps was competitive, but my competition was all flex-geared alts =/ 

My conclusion on the subject is that, even if all of my mastery were crit, my dps at ilvl 570 would stil be comprable to a traditional dps-er about 20 ilvls below myself. 

Well, depending on what one's aim is with the spec, that's either encouraging or discouraging. If you plan to simply set your role to DPS and ward off ridicule with respectable dps, then its a bit discouraging. If you plan to play a half healer similar to what disc priests do by design, then its encouraging.

The half healer holy dps spec has pretty much always been viable for what it does. I've played half healer holy dps on and off all the way back in Kara, up through Ulduar and beyond. I've played that spec in many of our progression kills where we were struggling on both the dps requirement and healing needs. Its such a fun spec to play, that I had to constantly challenge myself whenever I wanted to play that spec whether it was more viable to bring a full dpser instead. More often than not, the answer was: Yes, better to bring a full dps.

In truth, there are very specific circumstances in which the half healer role is justified.

Firstly, its best played in 10 man. In 25 man, you have a much more granular scale of healing by going down from 7 healers, to 6, to 5, and so on. On 10 man, going from 3 to 2 healers costs you nearly 33% of your raid's healing output and being able to make that reduction only 15% and still boosting your raid's dps output while doing so is a worthwhile goal.

Secondly, the fight mechanics of a given boss should allow for the half healer's role to make a large difference beyond the simple kill time. Mainly, the fight should have a burn/nuke phase in which every bit of dps makes the fight that much easier. There should also be a big raid damage phase in which 2 healers would simply not be able to keep up. Annoyingly, these two phases must also not occur together. 

With all that in mind, one can just look at the bosses in the current tier to realize that almost none of them fulfill all of these requirements, whereas in past tiers and expansions, some bosses did. So even though holy dps is higher than it has been in a long time, the lack of appropriate encounters to truly exploit it, coupled with the disc spec being able to cover that role by design when needed, puts the spec squarely in the "fun but not serious" camp.

In the right encounter and played well, holy dps makes it feel like you have 11 people in your 10 man raid. When played badly, or when the encounter doesn't support it, its more like your brought 9 people to you 10 man raid.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Narii625

VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: Tomb of Sargeras [1/9M 9/9H], Nighthold [3/10M]
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (915+)
      ALL DPS! (Healing offspec preferable but not required) ABOUT US
      915+ ilvl to trial immediately, but we accept others. 930+ ilvl and 72 artifact lvl for Antorus.

We are looking for skilled and laid back DPS to help fill out our roster for Antorus.

We're semi-casual in terms of time we spend raiding but serious about progression, attendance and performance.

We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, joking, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. Fun guild events happen monthly!

Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)

New, returning and veteran players welcomed.

Fill out our Guild Application!
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299, Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Guild Recruitment Officer
      Booty Pirates Website
    • By Caldyrvan
      I am glad I'm watching Chump because not only he's an inspiration but also because I was browsing through the standard priest deck lists provided here and even though it's a long list they are all pretty much the same (many of them no fun anymore, at least to me and def. no fun to play against) and I get the feeling lately Icy Veins tries to provide the most expensive decks only. No doubt they are effective and successful but as I said, getting bored and it's kind of bad for every new player visiting this page and just seeing (s)he has to play longer than some cards take to rotate out of standard to acquire a viable deck. 
      So, I was wondering why are the no decks like the following in this list, something wrong with adding such decks? Of course you can't add every possible deck type/variation but with a dozen Highlander and Dragon priest decks already being in this list there should be room for at least one or two others.
      All credit goes to Chump for this deck, I'm just posting it as well as his first video with it.
      Budget Aggro Priest: Total dust cost 1600.
      With all of the cards being basic, common or rare we can assume most players have most of the cards maybe a few to craft. Pretty cheap imo.
      2x Emerald Reaver 2x Northshire Cleric 2x Potion of Madness 2x Power Word: Shield 2x Voodoo Doctor 2x Golakka Crawler 2x Radiant Elemental 2x Shadow Ascendant 1x Deathspeaker 2x Happy Ghoul 2x Kabal Talonpriest 2x Auchenai Soulpriest 2x Keening Banshee 1x Darkscale Healer 2x Sunborne Val'kyr 2x Bonemare Deck Code: AAECAa0GAsYEmssCDoQB7QHlBPIMtbsC8LsC2MEC3cIC5MICyMsCzswCn84Cps4ClegCAA==
      He was playing 2 version of this deck with the other being a bit more expensive using Genzo, the Shark and Leeroy Jenkins instead of the 2 Auchenai Soulpriest.
      Have Fun :)
      -> Budget Cannibal Warlock

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho
    • By Nevaera
      Hello there!

<Shadow> on Argent Dawn has been going since 2009. We are a close-knit community and strongly believe in recruiting people who will fit in with us rather than just whoever is topping the meters. We also believe that having a busy RL life with job/family/social commitments and committing to Mythic raiding as a hobby we're all passionate about are not mutually exclusive. We are looking to bolster our line-up to push for Cutting Edge in Antorus.

About us

We progress raid Thursdays and Sundays, 20:00-23:00 and 19:30-22:30 respectively (all times server time)
      We have a non-mandatory farm raid Fridays at 20:30 that socials and alts are welcome to
      We use Discord for voice communication and have an active server to hang out, chat, and organise M+ runs
      We maintain a mature environment - having a laugh is great, but bullying, endless meme-spamming and the like are not welcome
      We believe in learning from your mistakes - you will never be yelled at, but you will be asked whether you know what you did wrong and how you can fix it

What we expect from recruits

Sign up to raids ahead of time and give us a heads-up in case of longer absences
      Be there 15 minutes before raid start and bring your own consumables as back-up to feasts and cauldrons
      Do your homework - research encounters thoroughly and understand them
      Understand and know how to play your class
      Have Discord installed and a working microphone, ready to speak when required but without cluttering up comms with chatter
      You don't need to grind to the point of burn-out, but keep up with AP traits and do M+ to hone your skills and supplement your gear
      Be a team player and bring a positive attitude. Wipes happen in Mythic. Constructive feedback is great, backseat raid leading is not.

What we are currently looking for

A rule that applies to all potential recruits is: We do not recruit for the bench, but we will always take the team that is most likely to defeat the boss and cannot promise everyone they will always be in for every fight. When things are equal in terms of performance and required composition, we much prefer to rotate people in and out over benching someone for an entire night.
      One Healer - Paladin preferred, but any class that isn't priest will be considered
      One Tank - Bear, Brewmaster or Blood DK
      Melee DPS - got one spot for a Rogue
      Ranged DPS - Boomkins, Shadow Priests, Warlocks and Hunters

If this sounds like the guild for you, check us out at shadow-wow.enjin.com or contact the Co-GMs Alec#2922 and NevNev#2669 for more info!

See you in Antorus!