FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
sw4rml0gic

Single Target Fury - underperforming greatly?

Hello there!

I've recently moved to warrior after healing for just over 8 years, and I'm struggling (I think) with my single target dps on my fury warrior. I've followed the guidelines both here and on furywarrior.com, used checkmywow and was wondering if anyone could point out what I'm doing wrong?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/613DhmfMdpvyXjYc/#view=analytical

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

There are two Fury Warriors in that parse:

• Contaego
  • Brocovi

Which one are you?

Seems that you didn't use whirlwind at all.  As it shows in https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fury-warrior-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities#sec-1, it is still one of the main damage dealers.

1. Single-Target Rotation

The Fury rotation on a single target can differ depending on talent choices as many have a significant impact on the flow of combat. General rules outlined below however should be optimal in a majority of situations.

1. Cast Charge Icon Charge if out of range of your target.
  2. Cast Rampage Icon Rampage if Enrage Icon Enrage is absent or at 100 Rage (always cast at 100 rage if using Frothing Berserker Icon Frothing Berserker.
  3. Cast Bloodthirst Icon Bloodthirst if Enrage Icon Enrage is absent.
  4. Cast Icon Odyn's Fury, try to sync this with short term buffs.
  5. Cast Execute Icon Execute on targets sub 20% health with Enrage Icon Enrage active.
  6. Cast Bloodthirst Icon Bloodthirst even if already Enrage Icon Enraged.
  7. Cast Raging Blow Icon Raging Blow.
  8. Cast Whirlwind Icon Whirlwind on Wrecking Ball Icon Wrecking Ball procs if talented.
  9. Cast Furious Slash Icon Furious Slash if nothing else is available.

If talented, use Dragon Roar Icon Dragon Roar just before Battle Cry Icon Battle Cry due to its guaranteed Critical chance, or just before casting Rampage Icon Rampage. If you have taken Frenzy Icon Frenzy, use Furious Slash Icon Furious Slash to maintain the buff if it is about to expire.

6 hours ago, sw4rml0gic said:

@SajakainWhat a dumdum! Contaego!

I apologize that I haven't gotten back to your request sooner. I have not had a chance yet to look over your logs in detail but I will get to it either later tonight (after raid) or first thing tomorrow.

Edit: Ignore MOS's post. Nothing disrespectful or hateful, but that information is wrong.

Some things I noticed viewing your replay:

- Opener:

Your opener was: BC->OF->RP->RB->BT->RP

A better opener would be to use: BC->RP->RB->OF->BT->RB

It's important that your OF is buffed by your enrage while you pull BC, otherwise you will loose the +dmg from your mastery value. Additionally don't use OF outside of your BC.

- Use of Avatar:

You casted Avatar out of your BC burst window. I recommend using Avatar only if BC is active. I use a Macro which casts avatar always with BC. Like it or not it's very easy to use then.

- Frothing Berserker:

Keep an eye on your Frothing Berserker proc. You used Rampage too early that you didn't proc at 100 Rage which means 15% dmg loss. I recommend Weak Auras 2 as Addon to track the buff. Only hit Rampage when you got to 100 Rage.

- Gear:

Since Tomb is now opening I don't recommend you to farm T19 now but try to aim for the 2P and 4Piece bonus of T19 or in future T20. Your Gear does have enormous amounts of Crit on it which is the worst stat currently in Stat weight. Try to aim for Gear with following Priority: Haste -> Mastery -> Versatility -> Strength -> Crit

- Trinkets:

You definitely need to have Convergence of Fate dropping from Elisande as it's currently and in TOS the best trinket to have for fury. This will allow you to better align OF with BC due to the reduced Cooldown of BC.

Second Trinket will be a ToS trinket of your choice.

• Like 1

I appreciate your patience, sw4rm.

These things are in no particular order of importance, really. It's a matter of that they're all important and, when combined, your numbers will see a natural increase. I can understand that, after healing for 8 years, the DPS side of things is a bit of a different play style.

Also, your request comes at a unique time as it's literally on the bridge of two tiers and in the middle of class changes. For the most part, I'll review it in the T19 sense and adjust things as necessary for T20. Some of this stuff has already been stated by Milka, as well, but I'll touch on it, too.

====================================

Your Stats:

Just going off the armory, you have 32% Haste and 31% Mastery. You can afford to make some changes to your gems and enchants. Aside from your 200 strength gem in your chest, the other two gems can be changed to mastery. Likewise, your ring enchants can also be changed to mastery.

I recommend this on an educated guess and not actual simulation data but, I imagine, if you were to sim yourself (either using SimulationCraft direct or using Raidbots), you would find that mastery has a higher value for you than haste, even if it's slightly. Stat weights, in general, haven't changed much for Fury Warriors going from T19 to T20 but, overall, the generalized weights are Haste > Mastery > Versatility > Critical Strike > Strength. Simming your character as you obtain gear can adjust these weights slightly and that's why it's important that you always sim yourself to obtain your personal stat weights.

Lastly, indirectly relating to stats, it appears you did not have a food buff and you used Potion of Prolonged Power. The food buff of choice should be the Lavish Suramar Feast (+500 Strength) and your potion (both pre-pot and in combat) should be Potion of the Old War. When used properly, the potion alone will contribute about 10% of your overall damage done. Like everything here, these things may not make or break your performance on their own but combined they'll raise your performance noticeably. I tell my team several things and one of them is "Every point counts." Use your consumables.

Buffs:

Your Enrage uptime is pretty low only sitting at almost 69% uptime. For a Fury Warrior, Enrage is required and you want it up as long as possible either through the use of Bloodthirst critical strikes (that aren't blocked) or casts of Rampage. I realize you do not have your T19 4PC bonus - which would help with your Enrage uptime - but even without it, 69% is on the low end. For comparison, you can look at one of my Heroic Krosus kills. It is 1 second off in duration from your kill and I have 89% uptime on Enrage. Granted; I have my 4PC from T19 and that helps a bit, but it's nowhere near 69%.

As Milka also mentioned, your Frothing Berserker buff was missed quite a bit. This is obviously from your talent choice of Frothing Berserker but it requires you to hit 100 rage to proc. In your kill, this buff had a 38% uptime. On the kill I linked of mine, I had it up for 67%. While looking at your log, specifically on this page here, you can see where on a number of times you were just short of hitting 100 rage and you cast Rampage and, as such, missing out on your Frothing buff. I count 11 times where you were just short of gaining your buff and you jumped the gun. Here is the same chart from my pull.

In order to better help you with these two very important buffs, I would recommend either using Weak Auras or Tell Me When. Personally, I use Tell Me When but they both do the exact same thing. I use Tell Me When for class procs / buffs / etc, but I use Weak Auras for boss encounter mechanics / buffs / debuffs, etc. Knowing when you have / don't have these buffs will only help you.

Rotation:

For the most part, you have your rotation at an understanding level. There are subtleties to it, as with any spec, such as the opener, priorities, saving vs using cds, etc, but that will come with time and practice with the spec. I mean, after all, you just switched to DPS from healing for 8 years so I have the understanding lol.

To help you with these subtleties, I'd recommend taking a look at Archimtiros's guide on MMO-Champion. You can find the rotation specific stuff by clicking here. If his format of wording doesn't make sense feel free to ask your questions and I'll try and help clear things up for you.

====================================

Overall, I think you're doing OK for just picking up DPS. While you may not have your BiS gear for your Fury Warrior, you're not doing horribly with the spec, either. As with anyone and anything, there's always room for improvement and - hey - that's why you made your post, yeah? :D

Keep working at it. Read Archi's guide; he's one of the leading theorycrafters for the spec in the community. Once you get a better understanding of the rotation (which, as I said, you have a great start on that - just a few things to clean up a bit) and you get your buffs under better control, you'll notice your numbers come up significantly. Get some work in on the training dummy and set up some aura monitor (Weak Auras / Tell Me When) to monitor the important stuff.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hello!  I am new to warriors in general (only have raided part of Nighthold and now a couple bosses of ToS).  Like sw4rm, I (and my raid) was noticing that my damage is garbage.  After looking through the explanation here, I realized that my uptime was severely lacking on all fronts (Enrage, Frothing Berserker, etc.).  I can fix the Frothing Berserker issue (just wait to press the button until it hits 100).  But the enrage uptime is something that I'm not sure how to go about fixing.  I have a 32% to crit.  My gear is kind of a mish-mash, and not well optimized and I only have one legendary.  That all being said, I'm not sure how to get Enraged up to a higher percentage.  Using an addon?

I am posting tonight's Heroic Inquisition kill.  Not sure if that is a good place to start, but it is all I have at the moment.  

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FRGyq8cg2MLW47ND/#view=analytical&type=summary&source=169

I decided to use this same thread instead of making a new one.  Sorry if that is a no-no.

10 hours ago, Krorush said:

That all being said, I'm not sure how to get Enraged up to a higher percentage.  Using an addon?

I am posting tonight's Heroic Inquisition kill.

First off, that specific fight isn't that great to start off with because you died. Naturally, as such, your Enrage uptime will be significantly lower even if you did everything perfectly. If you take into consideration, however, only the time you were alive you actually had 76.71% uptime on Enrage.

Unlike sw4rm, however, you did you have your 4PC set bonus which increases the duration of Enrage by 1 second. That helps passively without much explanation.

===============================

Enrage, in it's foundation, is RNG based when it comes to Bloodthirst and only guaranteed with Rampage. Bloodthirst will Enrage you if it's a Critical Strike as long as it wasn't blocked. (Don't stand in front of your target and this won't be a problem. If you stand in front of your target and it blocks your Bloodthirst, even if it Crits, it still won't Enrage you.)

As far as your question about an addon goes, it's only use is to inform you when you have Enrage (or other buffs) up. As I mentioned to sw4rm, I use Tell Me When for this purpose but you can also use Weak Auras to do the exact same thing. Take a look at this picture I made up:

TMW.jpg

In the top half you can see Tell Me When in configuration mode. Above my unit frame (on the left) you can see that I have icons, in order from left to right, Enrage -> Frothing Berserker -> Battle Cry -> Sense Death. On the right hand side, above my target unit frame, I track my Juggernaut stacks.

The second half of the picture is the icons actually in combat. They maintain their order and you can see how timers are put on top and I can easily tell not only which buffs are active but for how long they're active.

As I said; there's a number of ways you can track your buffs and knowing when you have a buff and when you don't is useful when you're wanting to raid.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:47 AM, Sajakain said:

First off, that specific fight isn't that great to start off with because you died. Naturally, as such, your Enrage uptime will be significantly lower even if you did everything perfectly. If you take into consideration, however, only the time you were alive you actually had 76.71% uptime on Enrage. Snip...

Thank you for the response!  I am going to try some things and let a couple raid nights go by and report back with any more questions.  Thanks again!

Hello!  I wanted to circle back and post the log from last night.  I have been trying to implement the changes listed here (frothing, enrage uptime, etc).  I am also realizing that my ability to focus on serval things at once is not very good. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JF4TwqkftDL7RbH3#type=summary&view=analytical&source=23&fight=2

I'm noticing that while I am trying to absorb mechanics and observe the fight/dodge fire, that I will sometimes let my warrior sit at 100 rage for far too long.  Not only does this waste rage, but after Frothing Berserker wears off, it will not proc again until you burn your rage and get back up to 100.  During this, I will often not sure rampage since I am focused on other things.

This is totally something that I need to work on by practicing and getting some addon help.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I will probably circle back a couple times this week and post the heroic logs.

Edited by Krorush

I clicked the link and the first thing I noticed is you died because you did not get behind a pillar during Burning Rush 2 minutes and 9 seconds into the fight. In addition to this observance, you also posted the following:

6 minutes ago, Krorush said:

I am also realizing that my ability to focus on serval things at once is not very good. 

The ability to raid, in my opinion, does not require the ability to focus on several things at once. Instead, you need to know where the information you need is, at any given point, and be able to acquire that information instantly.This is so you can continue processing the encounter and keep yourself alive / execute mechanics / do all the damage. If you, for example, solely focus on your action bars and concentrate on your rotation you will probably miss or be late executing a mechanic (such as missing a pillar for Burning Rush). If you focus solely on the encounter, your rotation may be off (such as missing a rage cap / Frothing Berserker opportunity). This scenario can literally play out in any given way.

What you need to do is take one thing at a time when you have the time to do so. Practicing your rotation is not meant to be done in raid. You need to do that on a dummy, on your own time, outside of raid. Get to a point to where you understand and know the flow of your rotation / priority and you will have more room to focus on the mechanics and execution of the fight. If you're still trying to understand your rotation while learning / executing a raid boss then, yes, you will struggle.

Set your UI up in a way that is best for you. Most players have their information centered to some degree around their character; boss timers, weak auras, buffs / debuffs... anything. Anything important is usually centered. Find a way to set your UI up to work for you. Just because something works for me or works for John Doe doesn't mean it'll work for you. Find something, get used to it, make it 2nd nature to know where your information is. When this is done properly and your rotation is built into your muscle memory, you will find that you will not have to focus on several things at once. Instead, you will be constantly evaluating important bits of information throughout the encounter when it's needed. Your survivability will increase as will your numbers and overall performance.

16 minutes ago, Krorush said:

after Frothing Berserker wears off, it will not proc again until you burn your rage and get back up to 100.

A point of interest here. . . You don't have to burn your rage entirely. Frothing Berserker procs when you hit 100 rage. If you're at 100 rage and staying there (for whatever reason) and you've noticed you missed your FB buff, casting anything to get it to drop below 100 will allow it to reset once it hits 100 again. Theoretically speaking, if you could make your rage drop to 99 and make it hit 100 again, FB would proc again. You don't have to dump your rage or burn it as you have stated. Just drop it below 100 and hit it again.

Naturally, managing your rotation / ability priority and monitoring your buffs in a clear manner will help resolve this situation from ever arising but hey - it can and does happen to the best of us. Just keep working at it and you'll get there.

1 hour ago, Sajakain said:

I clicked the link and the first thing I noticed is you died because you did not get behind a pillar during Burning Rush 2 minutes and 9 seconds into the fight.

snip

Thanks again for the reply.  I keep forgetting to post fights where I don't die.  Funny story, the reason I died on Goroth was that I was paying too much attention to DBM (which isn't working quite right for that fight) so I was told I had meteor, leapt out, then realized I didn't actually have meteor and died before I could get to one of the pillars. 

Again, thanks for the feedback.  I have been experimenting with Weak Auras to try and see what works for me.  In terms of checking rotation, if there a way in recount to check up-times and things like that?  Or would I need a logging program?

1 hour ago, Krorush said:

In terms of checking rotation, if there a way in recount to check up-times and things like that?  Or would I need a logging program?

You can run a combat log against a dummy. In game parsing addons (Details!, Skada, Recount) can tell you key points like buff uptimes and cast counts, etc, but logging the parse and then uploading it to Warcraft Logs can do all of the above and give you a detailed priority report on your casts. Sure, you casts Odyn's Fury 4 times but did you cast it at the right time? Things like that are important and best viewed on a log report.

The only thing you need is Adobe Air installed and the Warcraft Log Client. When you're in game you can manually start a log by typing, without the quotations "/combatlog". You'll get a yellow-text read out that states combat logging has been started. (Make sure Advanced Combat Logging in your Interface options is checked). When you're done, you can type "/combatlog" again to stop the logging.

Use the Warcraft Logs client and upload it to their website. Easy as that.

Hello again!  I hope everyone had a good holiday (in America).  I wanted to post the logs from the tonight's raid.  I have been trying some new things but the numbers aren't showing what I would like.  Enrage has a lower uptime than frothing berserker....

Any advice would be helpful!  I am going to continue to work on my rotation, etc.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/BkwZXcjhTFmKDxqd#fight=1&view=analytical&type=damage-done&source=22

4 hours ago, Krorush said:

Any advice would be helpful!  I am going to continue to work on my rotation, etc.

And you'll get some and need to learn your default rotations like opener and BC usage. I viewed the Goroth logfile where the first thing to mention is that your opener is still very bad: Charge-BT-RB-BC-OF-RP-RB-Execute-BT

I know the BT and RB was due to positioning the boss so I'll ignore that. Here's the best for a positioned boss:

Charge->BC-RP-RB-OF-BT-RB

For explanation: If you pull BC and press immediately OF you will be not enraged and you loose much dmg of OF. Better use BC and immediately RP to get enraged and dump rage.

Talents:

You used Wrecking Ball instead of Avatar for Goroth.

BC usage:

Did you forgot to use BC when it was off Cooldown? I see some minor downtime in the BC usage.

You used it at: 00:03 ; 01:44 ; 2:52

The fight took over 5 minutes.

You definitely need to work on that so you use BC right as it comes off Cooldown. You also need to pull BC in the execute phase to have high execute damage.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 4:15 AM, Milka said:

For explanation: If you pull BC and press immediately OF you will be not enraged and you loose much dmg of OF. Better use BC and immediately RP to get enraged and dump rage.

Talents:

You used Wrecking Ball instead of Avatar for Goroth.

BC usage:

Did you forgot to use BC when it was off Cooldown? I see some minor downtime in the BC usage.

You used it at: 00:03 ; 01:44 ; 2:52

The fight took over 5 minutes.

You definitely need to work on that so you use BC right as it comes off Cooldown. You also need to pull BC in the execute phase to have high execute damage.

Thanks for the response!  I will hit a dummy a few thousand times with this in mind.  Thanks again!

On 7/7/2017 at 4:15 AM, Milka said:

This has helped a great deal I'm am pushing closer to 700k overall during raid nights.  I will have to find some what to CoF...