Jump to content
FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Pre-Purchase StarCraft: Remastered

Recommended Posts

mzD33nT.jpg

Prepare to redisover a classic. StarCraft® Remastered can now be pre-purchased for 14.99$ and will release by the end of August 2017.

Pre-purchase Unlocks: the new Korhal Command Center, Char Hive, and Aiur Nexus. The official video published on Starcraft's YouTube channel has a release date of August 14.

Here's the official announcement taken from Blizzard's website.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

 StarCraft: Remastered upgrades Blizzard Entertainment’s original sci-fi real-time strategy game and its acclaimed expansion, StarCraft: Brood War, from beginning to end. Experience the intergalactic battle between the terran, protoss, and zerg with improved graphics and audio…and the same classic gameplay that made StarCraft a global phenomenon.

Return to the Koprulu Sector

Discover the story that started it all as three races (the mechanized terrans, psi-powered protoss, and insectoid zerg) encounter each other for the first time. Engage in a legendary conflict that spans worlds over the course of more than 50 campaign missions.

aLGSKjF.jpg

Real-time Strategy Restored

Once you’ve completed the campaign, go head-to-head or team up with other players online. Command your faction and vie for control of eight unique environments. Build your base, conscript your army, and lead one of StarCraft’s three radically different races to victory.

WiWM8yi.jpg

Upgrade Complete

Pre-purchase Unlocks: Korhal Command Center, Aiur Nexus, and Char Hive.

THgtZvY.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Stan said:

Once you’ve completed the campaign, go head-to-head or team up with other players online.

Just for clarification to other people; You are not actually required to complete - or even start - the campaign to play the game multiplayer. So for the good ol' SC:BW players out there; you can comfortably jump straight into multiplayer action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they think people should pay 15 bucks for a 10+ year old game when they changed nothing except made the colors brighter and sharpened up the fuzzy Atari level edges and graphics?  No thanks I'll stick with Mass Recall, it is a free mod for Star-craft 2 that uses the creation kit to beautifully and masterfully recreate the original game and Brood wars using the SC2 engine and characters with the added bonus of having all the original cut scenes thrown in as well as fully animated fan created scenes during the parts that they just talked and nothing happened in the original, which IMO makes the game way more immersive, they even had the forethought to create a options menu and interface to further customize the game and experience to your preference.  Trust me guys just get Mass Recall and don't waste your time with this blatant money grab and wait for them to remaster Diablo 2 maybe.

Edited by BlakeArmentrout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

Why do they think people should pay 15 bucks for a 10+ year old game when they changed nothing except made the colors brighter and sharpened up the fuzzy Atari level edges and graphics?  No thanks I'll stick with Mass Recall, it is a free mod for Star-craft 2 that uses the creation kit to beautifully and masterfully recreate the original game and Brood wars using the SC2 engine and characters with the added bonus of having all the original cut scenes thrown in as well as fully animated fan created scenes during the parts that they just talked and nothing happened in the original, which IMO makes the game way more immersive, they even had the forethought to create a options menu and interface to further customize the game and experience to your preference.  Trust me guys just get Mass Recall and don't waste your time with this blatant money grab and wait for them to remaster Diablo 2 maybe.

They don't. You don't have to buy it. You can play with the original graphics for free. Everyone can. This is an optional purchase for a visually improved version of the game. Blizzard is trying to get people into playing a bit of SC1 again and you are vastly underestimating the amount of effort that has been put into this development. 

 

Also your SC2 mod for SC1 will never work as the mechanics are very different. There are numerous glitches/quirks/strange happenings that players of SC1 incorporated into their toolkits and strategies that could never be replicated in SC2 because they weren't even intentional in SC1, and Blizzard made it clear that they wanted to make sure these things were included in the remaster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thorosofbeer said:

They don't. You don't have to buy it. You can play with the original graphics for free. Everyone can. This is an optional purchase for a visually improved version of the game. Blizzard is trying to get people into playing a bit of SC1 again and you are vastly underestimating the amount of effort that has been put into this development. 

 

Also your SC2 mod for SC1 will never work as the mechanics are very different. There are numerous glitches/quirks/strange happenings that players of SC1 incorporated into their toolkits and strategies that could never be replicated in SC2 because they weren't even intentional in SC1, and Blizzard made it clear that they wanted to make sure these things were included in the remaster.

It seems you are the one exagerating about "the amount of effort that has been put".Its merely a small  visual impovement  ,its actually a mod.Sorry to disturb ,please continue fanboying for blizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thorosofbeer said:

They don't. You don't have to buy it. You can play with the original graphics for free. Everyone can. This is an optional purchase for a visually improved version of the game. Blizzard is trying to get people into playing a bit of SC1 again and you are vastly underestimating the amount of effort that has been put into this development. 

 

Also your SC2 mod for SC1 will never work as the mechanics are very different. There are numerous glitches/quirks/strange happenings that players of SC1 incorporated into their toolkits and strategies that could never be replicated in SC2 because they weren't even intentional in SC1, and Blizzard made it clear that they wanted to make sure these things were included in the remaster.

I never said people HAD to buy it, I was simply voicing my opinion that the remaster should be free considering they literally did nothing to it but brush up the visual appearance, and the mod for SC2 I mentioned does indeed recreate all the things you said plus adds a lot more to the game like I mentioned which again in my opinion makes it a much better experience and something things added should have been in the original to begin with, but probably didn't have the time or budget to add. If you prefer the old dated graphics version, or like paying money for the exact same game you probably already own and beat to death years later when there are clear upgrades and superior versions for free then you are very much welcome to do so, have a nice day :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ninypoo said:

I like how a single class for Diablo III is the same price as an entire game.

To be fair the class wasn't the only thing in the pack, the cosmetic wings and pet would have run you about 15-25 bucks if you were buying it for WoW, and the extra stash tabs and character slots along with the banner, Portrait Frame, and Sigils would have been around 5 bucks at least to buy separately, now while you could argue these things really don't matter and don't justify the price the sentiment is still there that we got more then just a class. Yes it would have been nice to get some actual new content to play the class with and not just the same old game with a new character but give them time and I am sure D4 will be better now that we have had practice using the Necro, and if we are lucky they will add some more classes, I am hoping for the Druid myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone noticed that the blizzard shop says the "Starcraft Anthology" is required to play SC Remastered? Is the Anthology free, or does this actually force people to pay for the classic as well, then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Weltenfeind said:

Has anyone noticed that the blizzard shop says the "Starcraft Anthology" is required to play SC Remastered? Is the Anthology free, or does this actually force people to pay for the classic as well, then?

It's  free, but says:  

  • "Battle.net® Classic registration required for multiplayer"

I have no idea if you have to pay for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

I never said people HAD to buy it, I was simply voicing my opinion that the remaster should be free considering they literally did nothing to it but brush up the visual appearance, and the mod for SC2 I mentioned does indeed recreate all the things you said plus adds a lot more to the game like I mentioned which again in my opinion makes it a much better experience and something things added should have been in the original to begin with, but probably didn't have the time or budget to add. If you prefer the old dated graphics version, or like paying money for the exact same game you probably already own and beat to death years later when there are clear upgrades and superior versions for free then you are very much welcome to do so, have a nice day :D

No, his point was that you're absolutely clueless about what goes into upgrading the game to this level of polish. You speak as if they pull out the old source code, run a feather duster on it and blow it off with a can of air, then release the game. It took hours - hours in which they had to pay programmers, artists, producers, and most likely the cinematic team to re-do the cut-scenes. Before you go spouting off about how effortless it was for Blizzard to make this remaster, why don't you go spend months making your own game then give it away for free?

A first-party remastering of this game is going to be much more stable and playable. It will blow your favorite little upgrade mods out of the water.

Edited by Rhoots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rhoots said:

No, his point was that you're absolutely clueless about what goes into upgrading the game to this level of polish. You speak as if they pull out the old source code, run a feather duster on it and blow it off with a can of air, then release the game. It took hours - hours in which they had to pay programmers, artists, producers, and most likely the cinematic team to re-do the cut-scenes. Before you go spouting off about how effortless it was for Blizzard to make this remaster, why don't you go spend months making your own game then give it away for free?

A first-party remastering of this game is going to be much more stable and playable. It will blow your favorite little upgrade mods out of the water.

There is no need to get hostile, I never said it was easy for them to remaster this, I fully understand it took hours of work to do it, all I was saying was despite all they did to remaster it, it still is only a aesthetic change and not enough to justify buying it when the original is the same game.

As far as you bashing me for praising the mod, I have played thru it and it was very much stable and more enjoyable then the original version, at least to me so if you think it sucks don't use it, but at least it didn't cost me anything and it actually did add a lot of flavor to the game instead of just making it look pretty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article explains a bit more about SC:R and what's going on with it:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/hands-on-with-starcraft-remastered-ahead-of-its-august-14-launch-for-15/

They actually didn't even have the original code / art assets when work started and much was rebuilt by eye until this recent famous incident:

https://kotaku.com/guy-finds-starcraft-source-code-and-returns-it-to-blizz-1794897125

But this is mostly curiosities about the game. The main discussion here is "why?". Especially as you could "play BW" for a while for free in SC2 with the Mass Recall mod.

The main reason is South Korea. When the original game launched in 1998 South Korea was just getting out of the Asian Financial crisis and fast broadbrand was being installed in mass around the country. PC Bangs (places where you can play PC and all its games for a fee over time) started big time and gamer communities were created, mostly around Starcraft, eventually deemed "Korean Chess" and the first ESPORT in the world.

Star players showed up, who are still known to people who didn't even play the game such as Slayer's Boxer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim_Yo-hwan

And while Starcraft 2 launch and a few disputes between Blizzard and the Korean eSport Association (KeSPA) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_e-Sports_Association put the game's competitive scene at danger, it has slowly but surely made a big comeback.

In fact, the latest big Korean tournament (StarLeague) to finish had almost as many people watching as the ones from the game's prime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzuhofHH10

This 20y old game has too much history for me to explain. But it is a great story, and this release is worth every cent of my money as it will bring automated matchmaking and a renewed interest / community which were the only things the free version which has been around for a while was missing. Improved graphics? Sure, but what I really want is to be able to easily play epic games that only Brood War's framework allows against similar level opponents, which was extremely hard to do before remastered's matchmaking capabilities. Have fun everyone!

Check out Thorin's vid for a little bit more info on BW becoming a thing again in recent times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjwaPbB_Ts

 

 

Edited by Seksi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2017 at 4:48 PM, Stan said:

It's  free, but says:  

  • "Battle.net® Classic registration required for multiplayer"

I have no idea if you have to pay for that.

Ah, didn't know they had made it free.

The battle.net classic registration is free. Just means you have to register using the old battle.net system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      It seems we have some very enthusiastic people in the closed WC3: Reforge beta, as youtuber Book of Flames has posted several videos of the game running on max settings at 1080p at 60FPS! We get a good look at the Orc and Human factions, with 3 matches being played and a surprise cameo by a Pandaren Brewmaster! We get some nice zoom-ins on a few units as well and a pretty good showcase of the game in action.
       
       
       
      While there's still no word on an exact release date, we do know it's coming out this year, and you can check out all the official info on the game here.
    • By Stan
      Gamespot talked to Blizzard's President J. Allen Brack about WoW Classic, mobile titles, porting WoW to consoles, and Activision. Here are the highlights.
      Interview Highlights
      Announcing WoW Classic at BlizzCon and the game being released has been a peak career experience for J. Allen Brack. Despite the recent layoffs, Blizzard is a values-driven and values-led company, and they make all their big strategic decisions through that lense. They still prioritize gameplay first and focus on delivering great player experiences and focus on the community. Blizzard did a poor job at communicating the announcement of Diablo: Immortal. The key thing that was lost is that they are a PC developer first. Mobile doesn't have to be a lesser-quality experience, and they think it's possible to make Blizzard-quality games on various platforms, which is why they ported Diablo to all both Xbox and PlayStation along with the Switch. They had a candid look at themselves, post-BlizzCon, to digest the fan reaction. Hearthstone is the only mobile game they've done so far, and it took them quite a while to figure out how they were going to find the Blizzard way of making a good mobile game. Blizzard doesn't have a history of having Mike Morhaime or someone else at the top saying, "Hey, Blizzard should go make, insert type of game." Instead, a team of developers who are passionate about a particular idea or genre are given the space to create and iterate and deliver something that they think it's excellent. In a question about the influence of Activision on the company, J. Allen Brack responded that Overwatch League Finals had been created in conjunction with some people at Activision Blizzard and the desire that they have is the same as the desire they have, which is to have their games exposed to and played by millions of players around the world and while both companies have different ways to think about how to achieve that goal, their goals are very aligned with them. The fact that a developer was put in charge of the company after Mike and the fact they promoted Ray Gresko to be the chief development officer speaks to not only what Blizzard values are but is also an indication that Activision Blizzard understands what's important to Blizzard. They've talked about porting WoW over to consoles, but the game has been built for a keyboard type experience from a UI standpoint. The controls would be also bad due to classes having more than 50 abilities at level 60. Click here to read the full Gamespot interview.
    • By Starym
      It came as quite a shock to all of us when Chris Metzen announced he was retiring, not only from Blizzard but from gaming in general. Now, in an interview with Scott Johnson of the Instance podcast, Chris talks about the reasons behind his decision. The whole thing is well worth a listen, but here are some highlights:.
      "Leaving Blizzard was an incredibly difficult thing. I'd been there since, essentially, I was a kid. I think I was 19 when I got hired and it was my whole life, it was my identity. And it was in many ways, all-consuming. It was just incredible, but there can be a cost sometimes to running that hard."
      As expected, developing Titan and then transforming it into Overwatch was extremely difficult and took its toll.
      "I think during those years I burned out really hard. I think in my heart, I needed a change in my life. I wanted to slow down, I wanted to just not carry the weight of it all. But when you've been at a company like Blizzard for as long as I have, I think about Shawshank Redemption: I'm an institutional man now. I'm a Blizzard guy, through and through. I love that place. I love the people. It made me feel schizophrenic."
      "I started having panic attacks left and right and just non-stop anxiety. Before I finally retired, I think I had been having panic attacks all the time, but I didn't know what they were. Kat and I would go on dates to go to a movie and almost all the time, I would start panicking in the middle of a movie. I had no idea what was going on."
      That and his new born daughter added up to the decision to leave Blizzard and the wider gaming world behind, a decision we can all respect, and, in our own selfish way, be saddened by.
      Unfortunately SoundCloud embeds don't seem to be working right now so you can listen to the full interview here.
      Via Eurogamer.
    • By Starym
      Classic is pretty popular right now, which is evident from the huge queues and massive sever overpopulation, as well as its massive twitch popularity on the first day. 1.1 Million viewers tuned in to see the origins of WoW once more and this huge spike in attention, as well as the big crowds of people literally waiting in line to be able to play on some servers, and the game trending on twitter, pushed Activision Blizzard's stocks up by as much as 6%.

      The stock topped out at $48.69 the day before Classic and peaked at $52.22 today, but we'll see how it finishes up at the end of the day. It's certainly a big indication that everyone is paying attention to Classic, and that at least as far as the launch went, it's turned out to be a massive hit. Unfortunately it's a bigger hit than even Blizzard expected (directly mirroring the Vanilla launch), as dozens of new servers had to be put up during launch day and even more are being added today as well and Blizzard even rethinking their realm population calculation system.
      Source.
    • By Stan
      The Q2 2019 Earnings Call was held on August 8 and Blizzard remains at 32 million monthly active users (MAUs). WoW subscribers increased since mid-May, following the release of WoW Classic Beta and Rise of Azshara.
      Q2 2019 Earnings Call Highlights
      Hearthstone MAUs increased Q/Q following the release of the Rise of Shadows expansion and deeper, more engaging new single-player content in the quarter. Overwatch MAUs were relatively stable Q/Q, with engagement increasing following the release of the Workshop. World of Warcraft® subscribers increased since mid-May, following the release date announcement and beta for World of Warcraft Classic and the Rise of Azshara update. At Blizzard, daily time spent per player increased Y/Y. Overwatch League hours viewed continued to grow Y/Y in the two stages held during Q2. Season to date, viewership and average minute audience have grown double digits Y/Y. Activision Blizzard delivered approximately $800M of in-game net bookings in Q2. Revenues and operating income are down Y/Y, reflecting lower in-game revenues. Operating margin fell Y/Y, with the revenue decline partially offset by lower costs. They continue expanding their development teams and resources to accelerate the delivery of content in their pipeline, pursue business models, etc. Slide Presentation

      (Source)
×
×
  • Create New...