Rambon

Retri paladin needs help.

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

Hello!

As the topic says, I need some help with my paladin. I feel that I'm underperforming extremely during single target fights, such as Goroth. I feel sort of comfortable with my AoE encounters, but open to suggestion and advice there as well. 

I feel that I've focused on the wrong stats as well, because I've read somewhere that if you have the cloak, you should have around 28-30% haste.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/twisting-nether/rambon 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/twisting-nether/rambon - Take a look at the Goroth encounter, where I don't even reach the epic bracket for my IL.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the right and best rotation, my opening may differ tho. Open to input and advice, and of course criticism about my rotation.

If there is something I've missed in this thread, that someone notices that I'm doing wrong, please include it in your comment.

Thanks!

Edited by Rambon

More haste is luxury, you have very very high crit and your haste is still decent. Back when I was your itemlevel I had even lower haste and managed to put out more single target dps. Honestly I'm not sure what the problem is. You use the right talents, you have 4 set tier 19, 2 decent legendaries. Cloak being #2 bis and ring being #3 bis (till you have the 4 set tier 20). The belt can't make that much of a difference for you to hit or miss epic+ logs. Had a quick look at your log and saw you used 2 potions of old war (right?) apart from that, did you have both Kings & Wisdom up for the strength buff? Did you flask and use food? (Didn't look that long at your logs) but forgetting pots/food/flasks/buffs etc can be huge. Also were you on the boss 99% of the time or did you run away a lot? on Goroth I only run behind the pillars once, the other time I use bubble to be able to keep dpsing. Sorry if my comment isn't of much help, can't directly see anything wrong.

17 minutes ago, Shishikyu said:

More haste is luxury, you have very very high crit and your haste is still decent. Back when I was your itemlevel I had even lower haste and managed to put out more single target dps. Honestly I'm not sure what the problem is. You use the right talents, you have 4 set tier 19, 2 decent legendaries. Cloak being #2 bis and ring being #3 bis (till you have the 4 set tier 20). The belt can't make that much of a difference for you to hit or miss epic+ logs. Had a quick look at your log and saw you used 2 potions of old war (right?) apart from that, did you have both Kings & Wisdom up for the strength buff? Did you flask and use food? (Didn't look that long at your logs) but forgetting pots/food/flasks/buffs etc can be huge. Also were you on the boss 99% of the time or did you run away a lot? on Goroth I only run behind the pillars once, the other time I use bubble to be able to keep dpsing. Sorry if my comment isn't of much help, can't directly see anything wrong.

I actually think I forgot the kings and wisdom buff. But I highly doubt that would increase it by that much. I think I have two kills on Goroth with basically the same gear, and the first kill I'm using kings and wisdom.

I also use my shield during the AoE on the boss to maximize my DPS.

The only thing I'm not using are augment runes, everything else is fine.

Guess I'll just have to trade crit for more haste then, and see how it goes.

In already outdated gear of mine, from a week ago:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3MdDf7hAPY2yZVFK#fight=1&view=rankings

zooming on my own skills used: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3MdDf7hAPY2yZVFK#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=9

I think, a huge thing i seemed to have missed is...

Kill times. 

Your kill time was very long/late. Like, your kill was around 3:38 mins no? After Crusade our dps falls off. Without CoF (Convergence of Fates from Nighthold) you have Cruasde +- at 0:00 - 02:00 - 04:00 if you use it off of CD. My kill was at 2:14 and I was using Convergence meaning our kill was right after my second Crusade. I think that's the whole issue. You're lacking in gear/itemlevel + just unlucky with your killtime. And CoF is huge till you start getting Tomb trinkets. Even then CoF might be good on fights like Harjatan mythic with the add phases where you want to have another Crusade ready. So either try to get CoF from Nighthold, or tell your guild to git gud and have better kill-times. :P 

One more look at your logs also tells us that even with such a horrible kill-time you performed better than the other Ret pala in your raid in your ilvl-brackets. Now those are tricky too and also depend on how many people are in that bracket but they usually mean a lot more on lower-average itemlevels vs top itemlevels. I am getting a bit off-topic with this now anyway. 

tl:dr; you performed well considering the bad kill-time your raid had on the boss. CoF could have been an essential trinket that could have compensated for the bad kill-time by allowing you to have a possible third Crusade. 

Also if you are interested in my current gear/ilvl & talents (I always log out with optimal single target simdps gear for wowprogress): https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/kazzak/shishikyu  

Edited by Shishikyu

7 hours ago, Shishikyu said:

In already outdated gear of mine, from a week ago:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3MdDf7hAPY2yZVFK#fight=1&view=rankings

zooming on my own skills used: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3MdDf7hAPY2yZVFK#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=9

I think, a huge thing i seemed to have missed is...

Kill times. 

Your kill time was very long/late. Like, your kill was around 3:38 mins no? After Crusade our dps falls off. Without CoF (Convergence of Fates from Nighthold) you have Cruasde +- at 0:00 - 02:00 - 04:00 if you use it off of CD. My kill was at 2:14 and I was using Convergence meaning our kill was right after my second Crusade. I think that's the whole issue. You're lacking in gear/itemlevel + just unlucky with your killtime. And CoF is huge till you start getting Tomb trinkets. Even then CoF might be good on fights like Harjatan mythic with the add phases where you want to have another Crusade ready. So either try to get CoF from Nighthold, or tell your guild to git gud and have better kill-times. :P 

One more look at your logs also tells us that even with such a horrible kill-time you performed better than the other Ret pala in your raid in your ilvl-brackets. Now those are tricky too and also depend on how many people are in that bracket but they usually mean a lot more on lower-average itemlevels vs top itemlevels. I am getting a bit off-topic with this now anyway. 

tl:dr; you performed well considering the bad kill-time your raid had on the boss. CoF could have been an essential trinket that could have compensated for the bad kill-time by allowing you to have a possible third Crusade. 

Also if you are interested in my current gear/ilvl & talents (I always log out with optimal single target simdps gear for wowprogress): https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/kazzak/shishikyu  

I think I had CoF during that encounter. I tried Goroth again today, without CoF this time, and with Entwined + Faulty, and that actually increased my DPS by 150k for some reason. Dunno if it was the kill time, or just.. I dunno..

And of course I forgot to log that specific boss, but logged the rest of the bosses. I got to 801k DPS, so I checked what the other paladins in my bracket did on that boss, and I think I reached the 95% at least, so big improvement.

It was also a pug, not a guild run, so of course it's gonna be mistakes and a slower kill than a guild run. Going heroic tomorrow with my new guild, so hopefully it will be a clean and fast kill, so I can finally get some good logs on him. (: