Starym

Jeff Kaplan on Balance

Sign in to follow this  

7 posts in this topic

ZEutpKE.jpg

The Game Director himself talks in-depth about the state of balance in OW today.

In what can only be described as a gargantuan post, Game Director Jeff Kaplan takes on the topic of balance and how it applies to pros, regular players, competitive players and specific hero mains. In general he doesn't feel there are any OP heroes that break the balance, but there are many issues that need to be addressed, so let's get right into it.

Blizzard LogoJeff Kaplan (source)

I’ve been reading the feedback regarding the current metagame and a general desire for “radical” balance changes to mix things up. I’ll offer some of my personal perspective but I’m a little nervous doing that for a few reasons. Even though I am the Game Director and a spokesperson for OW, I don’t make decisions in a vacuum and I am only one part of a very awesome team. Not everyone on my team agrees with me and we have different opinions on the state of game and balance overall. We do have a lot of alignment, but we talk things through – a lot. And we don’t always agree. So I know this will become the “official” response on the subject but I am really offering this from a very strong personal viewpoint first and foremost.

The most controversial thing I’ll say here (hopefully) is that I believe the game is currently balanced. What I mean is that I don’t feel like there are any heroes who are way too strong to the point of breaking balance. That doesn’t mean that I personally don’t think there are some problems with heroes. While I believe moving Roadhog away from a 1 shot combo was a necessary thing we had to do, I’m not entirely satisfied with where he’s at right now. I also think we need to do some brainstorming when it comes to Mercy’s resurrect, for example. The ability is extremely powerful in a very unfun way for both Mercy and everyone playing against that Mercy. But it’s not doomsday. These aren’t game breaking issues. They are better fixed slowly and carefully as the overall game is not ruined by them. I’m just using these as examples.

But I think the game is balanced. Statistically, the things that are most unbalanced aren’t what you think they are. Symmetra and Torbjorn win rates are not balanced. They are too good. But this is why we don’t balance on statistics alone. I don’t sense a great community uproar over the fact that Torb and Symmetra are “overpowered” right now (at least, statistically).

As I said last week, the perception of balance is more powerful than balance itself.

I really do not like summarizing the feedback from a large community because I think it’s unfair to so many people. But in general, I am getting the sense that the real issue people are feeling is that the “meta” does not shift as frequently as they would like. My sense is that players start with the pro scene and work their way down and base this feedback mostly on pick rates. In the pro scene, it’s true that the teams settle into using a subset of the hero pool. We tend to see high level (let’s just say the top 3rd of all players) competitive slowly catch up to the pro scene with some considerable lag of weeks if not months. The rest of us – the vast majority of us – don’t really play this meta at all but we’re aware of it either through community discussion or because we enjoy watching the pro scene.

There are a lot of ways the meta can change but if I had to boil it down to three main ways (that we see in video games at least) I would point to 1) something changes with the balance 2) players innovate new strategies 3) the game forces meta change through mechanics.

To comment on all 3…

I like when the meta changes on balance only when the game is not balanced and something was adjusted to make the game more balanced. Another way of putting this is, I do not agree with the philosophy that we should just make balance changes solely to shift people off the meta. The game team should be constantly evaluating balance and making changes that are actually needed because a hero is unbalanced. But making changes to a hero because their pick rate is too high or too low is not my idea of responsible game balance. Symmetra’s pick rate is very low right now. We could make changes to make her a “must pick” in the meta (and thus shifting the meta) but I feel like, if anything, I am concerned about Symmetra’s balance and worried that when she does eventually make her way back into the meta she is not balanced properly. So to summarize: balancing heroes who are unbalanced is good, balancing heroes just to make them picked more or picked less is not good (in my humble opinion).

Regarding the meta changing because players have innovated a new strategy – well – this is the best-case scenario. We’ve seen this happen time and time again. This usually happens in a pro tournament where a team pulls out a new strategy and performs well. This was how triple tank rose into fashion. Innovating out of a meta is extremely hard. All players are very different. Some are highly creative and some are excellent at executing. Some at both. Having the time and freedom to innovate on strategy is difficult no matter what level of play you’re at. Pros have busy schedules and it’s not always easy for them to practice new, out of the box things – especially if their tournament schedule is hectic. But when all is said and done, to me personally, the meta shifting because players innovate is the best possible outcome.

Lastly, a game can force a meta shift through mechanics. The MOBA genre has huge hero pools yet without pick and ban systems teams would inevitably play the same comps over and over. The game – through the mechanics of picking and banning – is forcing variety. We could do this in Overwatch. We could prevent certain heroes from being played some or all of the time or we could let your opponent prevent you from playing your desired hero. We could also force you or allow your opponent to force you to play a hero you don’t want to play. Personally, I am not a believer in these systems for OW (while I understand and respect why they use them in MOBA). I prefer to think that OW allows you to be creative which is different than forces you to be creative. I don’t want to watch the best Genji player in the world play Zarya – I want to see him/her play Genji. And also, seeing how many of you “main” heroes because you love them, I don’t want the game – or your opponent – telling you you’re not allowed to play that hero.

We recently added 6v6 Elimination to the Arcade and I think the mode is strong enough to exist in Quick Play and Competitive. That mode is a good example of a mechanical “forcing function” where the game causes shifts to happen in pick rates and team comps. The winning team is forced to play 18 diverse heroes. I would be willing to bet that if that mode was considered competitive, eventually a meta would settle in where 18 heroes were mostly picked and 7 would be rather neglected. Again, I don’t think this is horrible or the end of the world – I think it’s reality.

There are games with a set meta that evolve very slowly or remain stable for long periods of time and this doesn’t mean the game isn’t balanced or fun or fun to watch. Most of the pro sports fall into this category. TF2 was largely played Demo/Medic/Scout/Scout/Solider/Soldier and that was sort of just… accepted. It was fun to play and fun to watch. Baseball isn’t terrible or broken because every team puts their strongest batter 4th in the lineup.

But maybe I am off on what the expectation is from players here? I know the desire – and mine too – is that during every match of Overwatch all 25 heroes are viable at any time. The reality of gamers and video games is that any perceived (whether real or not) advantage is going to cause players to assume that they must play hero x over hero y. A professional Overwatch player will not player hero x if he/she thinks hero y is even 1% stronger. We can balance the heroes to equality but if there is the slightest perception of advantage, it won’t matter.

Looking at the perception of the meta, it’s obvious that “dive” is the predominant strategy. Correction. It is the predominant strategy being used in the professional scene. The majority of Overwatch players play Quick Play as their primary mode. The top 6 picked heroes (over the last month) in Quick Play are Genji, 76, Hanzo, McCree, Mercy and Junkrat. For the statistical majority of Overwatch players who are not pros and don’t play Competitive, this is your meta.

It drives players crazy when I post stats like that because they want to know about Competitive and not Quick Play. The point I am trying to make by posting Quick Play is that the numbers show that that is what the majority of players are *actually experiencing* which is different from *perceiving*. But looking at Competitive only… here are the top 6 picked heroes: Mercy (by a long shot), 76, D.Va, Lucio, Ana and Genji. Interestingly, number 7 is Reinhardt. Next tank after that is… Wi… no Roadhog. So in the past month in Comp, that’s what you’ve been actually playing.

But let’s talk about the elite players… maybe the top 3rd of all MMR. Their top picked hero over the past month was…. Ana. Yes, Ana.

I don’t mean to discount your fatigue with the “dive” meta but I also want us looking at from a realistic standpoint. Dive itself is an interesting comp. It’s fun to play and watch. It features super high skill heroes doing very OW things. Watching top Genji’s and Tracers is fantastic. I don’t think dive comp is bad but I think what players want is to see more comps in addition to dive comp. I too would love for this to happen. But in a non-forced, non-damaging way. I don’t think we should just throw a balance grenade at the heroes to change pick rates. And I don’t think long-term for the game it’s good to start imposing restrictions on you as to what hero you’re allowed or not allowed to play. I think we also need to be careful about demanding drastic change. A few months ago we nerfed D.Va and we faced the ire of many very upset players who thought we “ruined” the hero and she would never be played again. There was mega thread after mega thread demanding she be buffed. We held our ground because we believed she was fine. We did not touch her. And now she is one of the dominant heroes in the dive meta – clearly not in need of a buff.

Players think that every change we make to hero has the intent of buffing or nerfing that hero. Changes to heroes are usually made to make the game better. That’s what we were trying to do with Roadhog. Our goal wasn’t a nerf – our intent wasn’t a nerf. Our intent was to try to remove a behavior that had become “not ok” with our player base – the one-shot combo. Maybe he needs to be adjusted again? Probably. I am just using this as an example that not everything is super black and white. There is a gray area in making the game feel good. Sometimes we need to hold our ground and not make dramatic swings to the game.

I know this post will be met with a lot of disagreement. The desire for dive comp to go away will not be satisfied from some of you until Winston and D.Va are nerfed into the ground. But we’re not going to do that. We are going to make balance changes to heroes when they need it – and we do this more frequently than you give us credit for. 3 months from now there will be a new meta. If you’re the type of person who feels like the meta should shift every 2 weeks, then you’ll probably be sick of that meta and wishing it was back in the good ol’ dive comp days… I just caution against wanting change for the sake of change. The meta will shift soon enough.

You have to add up about a year's worth of comments from Heroes dev to get as much as this. Lucky OW players you!

• Like 5

I don't really get why people are against dive. It sure beats the ol' triple (even quad) tank meta with Ana. Dive is fun.

That said, and as Jeff points out, the "meta" rarely actually goes into comp play, especially not at lower ranks, and you can basically watch any GM/top500 streamer and see that it's rarely dive even in top500 games.

From an esports perspective I'm way more interested in watching dive 'cause the heroes involved are usually way higher skillcap (genji/tracer), downside being that it can be really hard to see what's going on.

It would obviously be best if a variety of different comps were meta at the same time, but that seems really unlikely.

Edited by Weltenfeind

Funny, maybe it's all the HotS that I do, but I find myself honing in on what's super annoying to play against in OW very quickly. Symmetra and Torjborn are both incredibly obnoxious to fight against, especially while entrenched on maps that provide favourable conditions for it, such as Hanamura and Lunar Colony defending. 

On 8/7/2017 at 3:29 AM, Oxygen said:

You have to add up about a year's worth of comments from Heroes dev to get as much as this. Lucky OW players you!

Jeff has always been amazing at this. It's a shame reading the replies in the source, Many of them are toxic (and people even seem incapable of actually reading what he wrote). Stuff like that might make him less inclined to actually post in the future. Damn shame.

I agree with this 100%.  I have read too many posts of people who want the meta to change radically and every two weeks.  You think you want that but you don't. It would be impossible to practice a team comp.  One week Roadhog is the king and the next he isn't but Ana is.  Then just as fast, she isn't Torb is and on and on.  I perfer time to size things up, and work with a team comp that people are familiar with and can use as opposed to just getting settled in to really work on finer details and have to change.  Its the same with those who want a new hero every month.  New heroes change the meta and so if you combine new meta with new heroes it equals a ton of chaos that is not fun to play. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym

The latest holiday event is here and will last through January 1st! Coming with it is the new brawl where players face off against a boss played by another player, Mei's Snowball Offensive from last year's Winter Wonderland returns as well and we get 50 new skins and other cosmetics, as well as last years' ones! There's also improvement for reporting players, and the usual bug fixes, so check out he full patch notes at the bottom.
      Winter Wonderland
      Yeti Hunter
      This 6-player brawl sets 5 Meis against one Yeti player who utilizes Winston’s abilities. The Yeti must gather meat to unlock a powerful rage ability adding immunity to freeze and more powerful bonuses. The Meis try to find and eliminate their woolly opponent before he’s consumed enough meat. The Mei players have a new tool in their arsenal, though—a modified “Yeti trap” ultimate ability. Which team will emerge from the snow?
      WINTER WONDERLAND RETURNS
      It's the most wonderful time of the year!
      Overwatch is getting into the holiday spirit again for the next three weeks! Expand your collection of seasonal-themed items, and enjoy two winter brawls.
      This year, we’re celebrating with a new brawl: Yeti Hunter, as well as bringing back Mei’s Snowball Offensive. We’ve decked the halls of Black Forest, King’s Row, and Hanamura. But we know what you really want: presents! Unlock over 50 new seasonal items—including legendary skins like Snow Owl Ana, Rime Sombra, Beachrat Junkrat, and Ice Fisherman Roadhog—alongside winter gear from last year at reduced credit costs.
      Mei’s Snowball Offensive
      In this brawl, Mei's Endothermic Blaster has been modified to fire a single, super-powered snowball. Taking down an enemy only requires one hit, but a miss can be costly. Once your weapon is empty search for the nearest snow pile to reload. When the battle starts to heat up, you can activate Mei's Ultimate, which turns her blaster into an automatic snowball launcher, allowing you to fire continuously as your enemies scatter. This year, you play on the Black Forest map as well as Ecopoint: Antarctica.
      New Skins:

There's also this handy rundown of Hero related changes, courtesy of redditor itsjieyang:
      Patch Notes December 12 (source)
      PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
      New Seasonal Event: Winter Wonderland 2017
      ‘Tis the merriest time of year—Winter Wonderland is here!
      From now until January 1, experience the holiday spirit with a brand-new brawl, Mei’s Yeti Hunt, and relive the previous Winter Wonderland’s magical moments by playing Mei’s Snowball Offensive. Players will also be able to unwrap loot boxes to collect last year’s festive fare in addition to 50 new holiday-themed cosmetics, including legendary skins like Snow Owl Ana, Avalanche Bastion, Beachrat Junkrat, Ice Fisherman Roadhog, Rime Sombra, and more.
      To learn more about Winter Wonderland, click here. 
      Player Warning Updates
      Several changes have been made to the player report system.
      Players being reported will receive an in-game message letting them know that they have been reported, along with a warning concerning continued negative behavior. Ongoing misconduct will result in silence, suspension, or a permanent ban, depending on the severity of the infraction (in severe cases, players may receive their punishment before receiving the initial in-game message).
      Players who report someone for poor behavior, resulting in a disciplinary action, will now be notified with an in-game message when the issue has been resolved. We take every report seriously, along with your feedback. Thank you for your patience as we continue to fine tune these systems.
      GAME BROWSWER AND CUSTOM GAMES
      General
      Added an option that allows heroes to spawn with fully charged ultimate abilities. This can be enabled under Settings > Heroes > General > Spawn with Ultimate Ready when creating a custom game Added an option that allows heroes to cast ultimate abilities that last for the full duration of a match. This can be enabled under Settings > Heroes > General > Infinite Ultimate Duration when creating a custom game The length of time that hero ultimates remain active can now be adjusted. This slider can be found under Settings > Heroes > General > Ultimate Durations A.I.
      [PC] An option to “Remove All A.I.” in the custom game lobby can be accessed by Right Click > Remove All Bots [PS4] A.I. players can be removed from within the custom game lobby by selecting a bot, then selecting “Remove All Bots” from the submenu [XB1] A.I. players can be removed from within the custom game lobby by selecting a bot, then selecting “Remove All Bots” from the submenu HERO GALLERY
      General
      Players can now clear new item notifications with the “Mark All As Seen” button in the Hero Gallery BUG FIXES
      General
      Fixed an issue that caused the arcade card for Limited Duel and Mystery Duel to not list all currently disabled characters [PC] Fixed an issue that prevented certain sound effects from playing when navigating the Options menu with a controller Fixed a bug in Elimination mode that caused players to spawn as a random hero at the start of a match instead of the one that was highlighted A.I.
      Fixed a bug that caused Roadhog Bot to get stuck in the spawn room of the Oasis: City Center stage Heroes
      Fixed a visual bug that caused Ana’s Biotic Rifle ammo clip to detach when her Captain Amari skin was equipped Fixed a bug that prevented Doomfist’s Rocket Punch from destroying objects Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Rocket Punch to not always deal damage when an enemy hits a wall Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Rocket Punch to not always stop an enemies' movement when they impact a wall Fixed an issue that canceled Doomfist’s Seismic Slam when it was unable to reach the targeted location Fixed an issue that caused Doomfist’s Seismic Slam to trigger instantly when the ability was used to travel up inclines Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Seismic Slam to create performance drops when repeatedly used with no cooldown Fixed an issue that caused D.Va’s Micro Missiles to not destroy breakable objects Added green detail textures on Sparrow Genji's sword scabbard when the golden weapon variant is equipped Fixed a bug that prevented Hanzo’s Storm Bow reload from canceling if he used a melee attack after using his wall climbing ability Fixed a bug that prevented Mei’s Cryo-freeze from clearing the healing debuff caused by Ana’s Biotic Grenade Fixed a bug that caused Mercy’s Caduceus Blaster reload to be canceled if the player pressed the Resurrect keybind without a target to Resurrect Fixed a bug that showed Mercy’s Guardian Angel targeting UI on allies while it was already in progress on a selected target Fixed a bug that allowed a Mercy player to cast Resurrect on a player that was in the process of being resurrected by another Mercy Fixed a bug that allowed Moira’s Biotic Orb to pass through terrain and structures Fixed an issue that prevented players from using Moira’s Biotic Orb’s regeneration option when primary fire was disabled Fixed a visual bug with Moira’s Biotic Orb that sometimes caused Biotic Grasp’s healing spray effects to display instead Fixed a bug that prevented Moira’s Coalescence from healing an allied Reaper in Wraith Form Fixed a bug that prevented Moira from being able to pass through enemies when using Fade Fixed a bug that caused Moira’s eyelashes to detach from her face during her Heroic highlight intro Fixed an issue that prevented Moira’s self-healing statistic from being collected and displayed in the game stats Fixed a visual issue with Moira’s Oasis skin that caused her knees to clip through her knee guards while crouched Fixed a bug that caused Reaper’s shotguns to animate incorrectly when discarded on the ground Fixed a bug that sometimes allowed Reinhardt’s Charge to escape abilities that should prevent movement (e.g. Zarya’s Graviton Surge) Fixed a bug that prevented Widowmaker’s Grappling hook from pulling players to moveable objects, even when they were stationary (e.g. the window on the Eichenwalde Castle doors) Fixed an issue that prevented highlights captured by Zenyatta players from recording correctly when the Cultist skin was equipped Maps
      Fixed an issue that allowed some heroes to hide on the Junkertown payload when using sit emotes Fixed a bug that caused a performance drop when players shot at the gold coin piles in the last Defender spawn of Junkertown Previous live patch notes.
    • By Stan

In order to improve matchmaking, Blizzard is planning a couple of changes for Season 8. The first change is limiting the maximum Skill Rating (SR) difference between the highest SR player on a team and the lowest SR player on the same team. The second change is the removal of performance-based matchmaking for Diamond tier players and above.
      Don't forget that performance-based matchmaking is coming to Heroes of the Storm next week!
      Blizzard (Source)
      Limiting the Skill Rating variance for Teams

With the debut of the new competitive season 8 in January we’re going to be making a few matchmaking changes to increase match quality. The first change is limiting the maximum Skill Rating (SR) difference between the highest SR player on a team and the lowest SR player on the same team. This will especially help players at both the lower and higher limits of SR, where there are typically fewer players available. If a player has an SR of 4500, there are not that many other players who have a similarly high SR. The matchmaker has previously assigned players who are of a much lower SR to the same team as 4500 SR player, and hasn’t always created the best match experience possible.

We implemented the technology for this change in the 1.17.0.3 patch at the end of November, but did not aggressively tune the SR value of the limit. During the month of December we will be quietly testing the effect of more restrictive SR limits to both match quality and queue times. With the data and player feedback from testing, we’ll then come back from our holiday break on January 2 and apply a finalized set of values for Season 8.

Note that the matchmaker will still allow you to group with other players according to the current SR limits at their skill tier, which is 1000 SR for Bronze through Diamond, 500 SR for Master, and 250 for Grandmaster. We recently restricted the SR grouping limit at Grandmaster with this new Season 8 change in mind.

Removing Personal Performance Skill Rating Adjustments for Diamond tier players and above
      Ok, this explanation is going to be pretty lengthy, so everyone grab some popcorn and buckle up.

When you win a competitive match of Overwatch, you gain Skill Rating, and when you lose a match you also lose Skill Rating. The amount that you gain or lose is calculated based on many different factors, and here’s a quick list of some of the most important ones:

• If you have a higher than 50% chance to win a match, you gain less for a win and lose more for a defeat. Conversely, if you were an underdog in a match than you gain more SR when you win and lose less SR when defeated.
      • New players experience both higher gains and higher losses than players who have completed a lot of matches.
      • You gain less SR for a win than you lose for a defeat as you more closely approach the system’s mathematical upper limit 5000 SR. (So at very high SRs you do need a greater than 50% win rate to keep your SR stable.)

There is also another factor in determining the SR change after completing a match, and that’s a measurement of how well you personally performed during the match. If you perform well than you gain more SR when you win, and lose less SR when defeated. The reverse is also true, so if you perform very poorly you gain less SR for a win and lose additional SR when defeated. The personal performance adjustments have been controversial amongst the community for quite some time, especially since the calculations for these adjustments are not at all transparent.

The adjustment does create a lot of positive system wide effects including rewarding players who make the effort to play well, punishing inactive players, and more quickly providing fairer matches for new players or those who decide to play a new hero or role. So we spent quite a lot of time examining data over multiple seasons, checking a lot of math, reading a LOT of community feedback, and then doing some deep soul searching about this. Especially at the higher levels of online competition where every point of SR matters, we want players to not be distracted and worry about how to optimize around the personal performance adjustment. They should just be trying to WIN. So after we get back from the holidays on January 2nd we’re going to turn off the personal performance SR adjustments for players in the Diamond skill tier and above.

We look forward to everyone playing matches and giving us feedback about these changes in Season 8!
    • By Starym

New Mei themed event - Yeti hunt boss battle where a player plays the boss, old Snowball fight returns, new skins, seasonal tweaks to maps and much more!
      "Jeff from the Overwatch team"™ is back to his video ways and is here to tell us about the next seasonal event! December 12th aka next Tuesday will bring new skins, including an existing Hanzo one from the comics and we'll be getting seasonal changes to some of the maps - so snow everywhere, presumably. Mei's Snowball Offensive is back on an additional map, and there's a new event as well, Mei's Yeti Hunt, a boss fight with 5 Meis vs 1 Yeti aka Winston. The boss will be played by an actual player as well!
    • By Starym

There's a new PTR build and it's bringing a looot of bug fixes, primarily of the Hero related variety, specifically a lot of Doomfist, Mercy and Hanzo bugs.
      PTR December 5 (source)
      (PTR patch notes last updated: Tuesday, December 5 @ 4:15pm PT) HERO UPDATES
      Genji
      Added green detail textures on Sparrow Genji's sword scabbard when the golden weapon variant is equipped BUG FIXES
      General
      Fixed a bug in Elimination mode that caused players to spawn as a random hero at the start of a match instead of the one that was highlighted A.I.
      Fixed a bug that caused Roadhog Bot to get stuck in the spawn room of the Oasis: City Center stage Heroes
      Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Doomfist to fall through the ground when using Seismic Slam on an  inclined surface Fixed a bug that prevented Doomfist’s Rocket Punch from destroying breakable objects Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Rocket Punch to not always deal damage when an enemy hits a wall Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Rocket Punch to not always stop an enemies' movement when they impact a wall Fixed a bug that prevented Doomfist’s Rocket Punch from correctly pinning targets to walls Fixed an issue that canceled Doomfist’s Seismic Slam when it was unable to reach the targeted location Fixed an issue that caused Doomfist’s Seismic Slam to trigger instantly when the ability was used to travel up inclines Fixed an issue that prevented D.Va’s Micro Missiles from destroying breakable objects Fixed a bug that allowed Genji to deflect projectiles through walls Fixed a bug that prevented Hanzo’s Storm Bow reload from canceling if he used a melee attack after using his wall climbing ability Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to cast Resurrect on a player that was in the process of being resurrected by another Mercy Fixed a bug that prevented Mercy’s Caduceus Blaster from reloading if the Resurrect was activated without a target Fixed a bug that showed Mercy's Guardian Angel targeting UI on allies while it was already in progress on a selected target Fixed a bug that prevented Hanzo’s Storm Bow reload from canceling if he used a melee attack after using his wall climbing ability Fixed a bug that allowed Moira’s Biotic Orb to pass through terrain and structures Fixed an issue that prevented Moira’s self-healing statistic from being collected and displayed in the game stats Fixed an issue that prevented players from using Moira’s Biotic Orb’s regeneration option when primary fire was disabled Fixed a bug that prevented Moira’s Biotic Orb from depleting over time after being deflected by Genji Fixed an issue that prevented the beam on Moira’s Biotic Grasp from tracking targets correctly Fixed a bug that prevented Moira’s Coalescence from healing an allied Reaper in Wraith Form Fixed a bug that prevented Moira’s Biotic Grasp heal over time from refreshing properly on allies Fixed a bug that prevented Moira’s Biotic Grasp from destroying breakable objects Fixed a bug that sometimes allowed Reinhardt’s Charge to escape abilities that should prevent movement (e.g. Zarya’s Graviton Surge) Fixed a bug that prevented Sombra's Hack from interrupting Tracer's Pulse Bomb if it was being thrown Fixed a bug that prevented Widowmaker’s Grappling Hook from pulling players to moveable objects, even when they were stationary (e.g. the window on the Eichenwalde Castle doors) Maps
      Fixed an issue that allowed some heroes to hide on the Junkertown payload when using sit emotes Previous PTR patch notes.
    • By Starym

The Overwatch League will be starting on January 10 and lasting through June, but the big news for us regular players is that we'll be getting some new skins out of it! Each team in the league has their own skins for each Hero and those will be available to all players, using a new currency - Overwatch League tokens. Every player that logs in within a month of the league's launch will be getting one skin for free, but there are still no details on how exactly we'll be getting these tokens, whether we'll be able to get them with in-game activities or only buying them with real money. What is known is that the money from the skin sales will help the teams themselves and the league, and you can check out more info from League commissioner Nate Nanzer in the video below:
      There's going to be a LOT of skins coming, with 12 teams and 26 Heroes each, and redditor fireyREIGN compiled some of them to give you an idea of the team looks:

And an example of a full team's skins -the Florida Mayhem:

Via: PCGamer.