Vlad

Destruction Warlock PvP 7.2.5

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Destruction Warlock PvP guide for Legion.

Who is this kid?? Mysticall is a Monk and all of his videos are him PvPing as a monk.  Why is he trying to create a Warlock PvP guide?  Hell, I'll create one for more accountability. 

On 8/1/2017 at 6:52 PM, Guest Mornnah said:

Who is this kid?? Mysticall is a Monk and all of his videos are him PvPing as a monk.  Why is he trying to create a Warlock PvP guide?  Hell, I'll create one for more accountability. 

Do you have a particular error that you have found in the guide? It would be far more productive than nitpicking the main class of a guide writer. 

• Like 1

I'm a veteran destruction warlock PvPer (been one since wrath). and I have been above 2k in most legion seasons. However, I have a few issues with this guide.

First of all, fel fissure is garbage unless you are playing with a rogue, and still the cc from "entrenched in flame" is usually more useful against any kind of enemies, but especially against melee. However, fel fissure could be picked when you have a frost mage on your team, since the DRs would stack way too high with the roots from both of you. 

Also demon skin is surprisingly useless. If you have melee training you, they will not let it build up over 100k... and when they decide to burst you, it's not enough to have a shield regenerating 1% of your hp every second. Dark pact is way more useful in the current season, as you can get a shield of almost 2 million on demand, which also lines up with the cd of your unending resolve, allowing you to survive for extended periods of burst, or just higher burst damage than usual. Though it has to be said that demon skin is solid against the zero teams who are playing rot comps instead of double melee or RMP.

Then there is wreak havoc. The normal havoc perfectly matches the CD of coil. You can use that to cc your kill target and a second target. Extremely useful against 2 melee. You can coil both melee from you, free-cast a chaos bolt into a conflagrate to root them both. Since destruction in season 4 is mostly about the chaos bolts, havoc isn't a massive damage gain. Instead, using channel demonfire on a single target, you can achieve up to 1.5-2 million damage with one cast. Since it's fire school you will almost never be locked out of it, but if you do get kicked you can now fear and chaos bolt. Soul conduit is also an ok option if you want to rain of fire cleave 2 melee.

Now let's talk about the curses a bit. I'd say fragility is almost always the best option unless you are playing against an arms warrior or a sub rogue. the 25s cd on weakness lines up with sharpen blade, and you will be able to slap it on a sub rogue during almost every shadowdance too. But curse of fragility is just so good. The 45s cd lines up perfectly with your havoc and mortal coil, which is your best shot at getting off chaos bolt casts.

And finally, the grimoires. Service is indeed the best one, IF the enemy team happens to have a caster. Against double melee however, I'd advice to go with supremacy... And more specifically to go with the infernal. The immolation aura from the infernal deals massive cleave damage (try it and check from your recount/skada), in addition to defensive benefits: You get an AoE stun on a 1 min cd, while the infernal rocks a few hundred thousand more hp, allowing for a much beefier dark pact. Due to these perks, the infernal is the go to pet against double melee cleaves, which is like over 90% of matches in legion (feelsbadman).

On 8/9/2017 at 7:44 PM, Guest Darkarn said:

I'm a veteran destruction warlock PvPer (been one since wrath). and I have been above 2k in most legion seasons. However, I have a few issues with this guide.

I've put your comment into a note for the writer (albeit a bit late, but hopefully we can still resolve the issues). Thanks for the feedback on it all!

On 8/9/2017 at 2:44 PM, Guest Darkarn said:

First of all, fel fissure is garbage unless you are playing with a rogue, and still the cc from "entrenched in flame" is usually more useful against any kind of enemies, but especially against melee. However, fel fissure could be picked when you have a frost mage on your team, since the DRs would stack way too high with the roots from both of you. 

Also demon skin is surprisingly useless. If you have melee training you, they will not let it build up over 100k... and when they decide to burst you, it's not enough to have a shield regenerating 1% of your hp every second. Dark pact is way more useful in the current season, as you can get a shield of almost 2 million on demand, which also lines up with the cd of your unending resolve, allowing you to survive for extended periods of burst, or just higher burst damage than usual. Though it has to be said that demon skin is solid against the zero teams who are playing rot comps instead of double melee or RMP.

Then there is wreak havoc. The normal havoc perfectly matches the CD of coil. You can use that to cc your kill target and a second target. Extremely useful against 2 melee. You can coil both melee from you, free-cast a chaos bolt into a conflagrate to root them both. Since destruction in season 4 is mostly about the chaos bolts, havoc isn't a massive damage gain. Instead, using channel demonfire on a single target, you can achieve up to 1.5-2 million damage with one cast. Since it's fire school you will almost never be locked out of it, but if you do get kicked you can now fear and chaos bolt. Soul conduit is also an ok option if you want to rain of fire cleave 2 melee.

Now let's talk about the curses a bit. I'd say fragility is almost always the best option unless you are playing against an arms warrior or a sub rogue. the 25s cd on weakness lines up with sharpen blade, and you will be able to slap it on a sub rogue during almost every shadowdance too. But curse of fragility is just so good. The 45s cd lines up perfectly with your havoc and mortal coil, which is your best shot at getting off chaos bolt casts.

And finally, the grimoires. Service is indeed the best one, IF the enemy team happens to have a caster. Against double melee however, I'd advice to go with supremacy... And more specifically to go with the infernal. The immolation aura from the infernal deals massive cleave damage (try it and check from your recount/skada), in addition to defensive benefits: You get an AoE stun on a 1 min cd, while the infernal rocks a few hundred thousand more hp, allowing for a much beefier dark pact. Due to these perks, the infernal is the go to pet against double melee cleaves, which is like over 90% of matches in legion (feelsbadman).

On 8/9/2017 at 2:44 PM, Guest Darkarn said:

Hi! I will respond to each of your talent suggestions.

Fel Fissure - If you are playing with any class with a stun, Fel Fissure is the best choice. If you are not playing with a Rogue you are correct. If you are running without a stun or a teammate needs a peel you can run Entrenched in Flame.

Demon Skin - Demon Skin is not only important for your survivability, but also your pets. There is so much cleave damage that your

pet can sometimes easily die to teams that are not focusing it. Dark Pact is great if you are struggling to survive against melee teams, 

but then it becomes much easier to kill your pet.

Wreak Havoc - This is primarily for spread pressure and Mortal Coil. If you are 100% positive that the enemy team will not interrupt it, you can use Channel Demonfire for pretty good damage. However, most teams will kick every single cast. Wreak Havoc allows you to Mortal Coil 2 targets and guarantee that you can cast 1-2 Chaos Bolts before the duration is over.

Curses - If you want to play aggressive and try to catch a team off guard in the opener, Curse of Fragility will certainly be your choice. The reason it is not recommended, is because it won't work every time. Curse of Tongues is consistent and can be used on any class that needs to cast their crowd control. As you said, Curse of weakness lines up great with Warrior Sharpen Blade and Rogue Shadowdance. Again, if you want to be the aggressive team, you can use Curse of Fragility, but if you want to stop crowd control or playing against strong melee, the other curses are better.

Grimoires  - Service is best even if there are two melee because there is likely to be a healer on the enemy team as well. It makes it easier for you because you will only have one target for both of your kicks. This will make your team do more pressure as well if you successfully lockout the enemy healer. However, if your primary focus is surviving, supremacy can be a decent way to keep yourself alive if your teammate cannot help you.

Thank you for your comment, I will add Entrenched in Flame and Grimoire of Supremacy as options in their row of talents.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Guest Deer said:

This Focused Chaos link is wrong.

Letting writer know. Thanks!

I would just like to say thank you for taking the time to fill out this guide I myself have found it very helpful in mastering my Warlock on the Battleground. I look forward to any updates you post in the upcoming Xpac.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Game Director Ion Hazzikostas is answering your Tides of Vengeance questions today. Check back for updates!
      Watch Now
      Q&A Highlights
      You promised us better communication. Why were so many changes undocumented in 8.1? (Profession requirements on crafted gear, multitude of M+ mob changes)?
      It's a continuing process of improvement. Blizzard is reading the undocumented changes thread on MMO-Champion and reddit. The latest patch notes were thorough, but not complete.
      The Profession crafted gear bug that went live was an inconsistency. The change was rolled back. The requirement will be back in Season 2.
      They missed some things like Stealth detection of mobs in Underrot. They failed to capture the changes. They're going to do better about that in the future.
      Could you add rationale for changes to patch notes and/or hotfixes? This would be a huge step in communication.
      They're going to add more "dev notes" to changes. They're not really satisfied with how they communicated that Mythic Keystones can no longerbe deleted.
      The recent 8.1 patch broke the popular CrossRP addon.
      There was no deliberate attempt to break the addon. Addons can't directly parse and do things with chat in Communities. This was done to help malicious stuff being done with the chat in Tides of Vengeance. They want to add an elixir to the game that will make you able to understand the opposing faction, but not speak their language. The hotfix is coming next week.
      Wondering why the change to deleting M+ keys. Seemed like a great QoL change made in BfA.
      It was a hotfixed change that they didn't fully think through. In the 8.0 pre-patch, you were able to delete your keys and reattain them. The team didn't like players deleting keys and picking seemingly easier dungeons.
      Why were ones made to increase challenge and change strategy without addressing pain points of other dungeons?
      In the last few days, they've got detailed breakdowns of dungeons mobs, difference where Teeming is introducing an artificial difficulty spike, wipe counts and as a result, Blizzard will be rolling out a hotfix to address some of these mobs next week. They need to get better at tracking them down internally.
      Are there any steps being taken to improve the M+ pug experience? Most groups are falling apart if they don't use voice chat.
      Voice Chat is the norm here, they're more interested to learn about how to improve the integrated Battle.net Voice Chat. Mythic+ is designed for real-time communication and that's not going anywhere anytime soon.
      Why do we have to wait for the opening of the Battle for Dazar'Alor. Why do we have to wait for Season 2 so long?
      Cutting Uldir short would be too soon. It's a healthy 8 boss tier, many guilds are still pushing for Cutting Edge. 3 months of raid tier would be too short and it's a natural thing of a new Season for a raid to come out.
      It'd be nice to have a source of Titan Residuum that isn't finite. I know you don't was us farming it, but can't you make the end-of-dungeon at least have a chance to drop some? Or shard of it. It'd be nice on zero azerite drop raid weeks.
      The residuum system is primarily designed to solve the problem of Azerite gear delivery from the weekly chest and give players more control over their loot. For now, it's a dungeon-focused experience and they don't plan to add more residuum sources in the near future.
      How do you plan on handling the transition from Season 1 to Season 2 regarding Titan Residuum?
      They don't plan to delete or introduce Titan Residuum. In the new Season, two new tiers of Azerite Armor will be added (ilvl 400 & 415). The new gear will have roughly the triple cost of the current Azerite gear. If you hoard Titan Residuum before Season 2, you will be only a week ahead. The amount of residuum from your weekly chest will also be proportionally higher as well as rewards from scrapping/disenchanting.
      The purpose of AK  is to reduce the gap between players who play and those who do not. With AK on hold for 6 weeks, there will be a massive gap between players.
      They don't want players to grind armor prior to opening of the raid, since that would allow them to unlock all Azerite traits on the new gear straight away. This wasn't a 8.1 change, the system actually was in place with BfA launch. They wanted an eleven-week AK catchup system with an increment and the final week fell for December 11th.
      Any plans making the Heart of Azeroth more engaging? Many players didn't hide the artifact skins via transmog in Legion. Why must the HoA feel so bland?
      They want to improve the Azerite system. Reflecting on the system they launched, there was one central flaw. On one hand, they want Artifact Power to be relevant and it's cool to have long-term goals to work toward. The system works best when they are rewards to chase, what's bland is when rewards are tied to armor. In Rise of Azshara and beyond, Azerite traits will be fully unlocked and you won't need to farm AP to unlock them. They will have more details on the system in the future.
      Do you plan on increasing gear reward item level of Warfronts and world quests as time goes on? A little disappointed to see 340 from the new Warfront.
      Arathi is going to keep the same rewards. The Darkshore Warfront rewards will be increased by 15 item levels when Season 2 launches. World quest rewards will continue to increase based on your personal item level. In Rise of Azshara, they plan to introduce Heroic Warfronts.
      Can we get Warfront rotation to speed up a bit? Once a month to participate in aparticular Warfront is kind of lame.
      In practice it's three weeks. No we have two Warfronts rotating in parallel. They want to give everyone a chance to participate. In terms of relative availability, they don't want Wafronts to give you ilvl 400 rewards that would render other content (Mythic+, raids) somewhat obsolete.
      As a Horde player on a Horde dominant server I will never see the 30% War Mode bonus. This is a problem.
      They would be surprised to see a 30% Horde bonus, but it's going to increase and balance itself out in the future. It's there for a healthy balance across shards.

• By Starym
      We're back to daily hotfixes, as expected of the immediate post-patch period, with today's batch focusing on PvP, with Alterac Valley GY spawn fixes as well as DK, Priest and Warlock tweaks. In the quests department we're seeing a fan favorite bug go that's generated many a post on reddit, namely there won't be any more clone Anduins, Velens and Genns in the War room. It's a shame, but at least the Alliance doesn't have that clone leader advantage anymore so it was clearly a much needed faction balance change. There was also a fix for repeatable quests, some of which weren't resetting properly, as well as the now standard World Quest fix section.
      December 13 (source)
      Classes
      Druid Restoration Ursol's Vortex is learned at level 28 (was 63). Hunter Survival Fixed an issue causing Mongoose Fury to incorrectly apply new stacks before the damage from Mongoose Bite was dealt, instead of after. Items
      Heart of Azeroth (Elemental Shaman) Fixed an issue that sometimes caused Echo of the Elementals to summon two Ember Elementals after Fire Elemental expired. Player versus Player
      Alterac Valley Fixed a bug that caused players to be unable to spawn at Stonehearth Graveyard after dying. Death Knight Frostwhelp's Indignation (Azerite trait) now correctly damages players in addition to granting mastery. Raise Abomination will now correctly attack neutral creatures if the player is in combat with them. Priest Discipline Fixed a bug that prevented Trinity from providing additional critical strike chance to Smite , Penance , and Shadowfiend . Fixed a bug that caused Trinity to stop applying Atonement to targets after 3 are active. Warlock Affliction Fixed a bug that caused Gateway Mastery to reduce the duration of the Demonic Gateway debuff by more than 15 seconds. Quests
      (With server restarts in each region) Fixed a bug that caused repeatable quests, such as Pet Battle dailies or Blingtron, to reset incorrectly. Fixed an issue where Alliance players could not turn in "An End to the Killing " to King Anduin Wrynn in Stormwind if they were also on the quest "On Whispered Winds ". All NPCs related to “The Right Mech for the Job ” should now be visible, even when a Faction Assault is active. Fixed an issue where certain players could see multiple copies of Anduin, Velen, and Genn in the Stormwind War Room. World Quests
      Fixed an issue where Horde players could not complete the quest "Cease all Summoning " while the Nazmir Assault is active. Fixed a bug where players were sometimes not granted quest credit during “Desert Crawl”. Fixed a bug that prevented Blight Barrels from behaving properly on “Barreling Through ”. Baron Cloudsnipe will no longer chase players in Pozzik's Experimental Bomber to the ends of the earth on “Romp in the Swamp ”. He's still a crack shot, though. Previous hotfixes.
    • By Starym
      It's fluffy, foxy and white, with some wings to boot. The latest 25$ store mount is the Vulpine Familiar and they're apparently "fiercely intelligent and insatiably curious", whatever that means for a WoW mount. It has a blue saddle and is vaguely horse-shaped, so it should be on the side of the Alliance, but they don't like the Vulpera much, so it's a conflicted mount to say the least.
      Vulpine Familiar (source)

The fox that won’t trick you

Fiercely intelligent and insatiably curious, this species of fox has travelled the Great Dark Beyond to seek the companionship of the greatest heroes of Azeroth. Vulpine Familiars are born daredevils, and any one of them would make a great companion on your adventures throughout Azeroth and beyond.
      Ride into Battle
      Ready to go!
      Vulpine Familiar will be yours immediately after completing your purchase.
      Everyone gets one!
      Once it’s activated, Vulpine Familiar will be applied to all present and future characters on a single Battle.net account. It will appear in each character’s pet and mount journal.
      Automatically upgrades
      Vulpine Familiar automatically scales to the fastest riding skill known by each character. If they aren’t high enough level to use a flying mount, it will still be usable as a ground mount.
      If you're interested, head on over to the store and get yours.
    • By Starym
      Here comes the big one, as yesterday's hotfixes were just a warmup and today we have the main event. We have the profession high item level requirements change from yesterday reverted, Expulsom tweaks for recipes, returning Scouting Maps, another big wave of Azerite Trait changes this time in PvE, while PvP gets a whole lot of class changes and fixes.
      December 12 (source)
      Classes
      Monk Windwalker Good Karma no longer incorrectly increases Touch of Karma 's absorption.  
      Dungeons and Raids
      Uldir Vectis Fixed a bug causing Vectis to cast an extra Contagion prior to casting Liquefy. Items
      Scouting maps that teach flight paths to your alts have returned to the Honorbound and 7th Legion vendors. Island Flotsam will now correctly change to Dented Coin s when a Horde character changes to Alliance. Dented Coins will now correctly change to Island Flotsam when an Alliance character swaps to Horde. Heart of Azeroth Fixed a bug that caused damage effects such as Laser Matrix and Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw to target enemies that were crowd-controlled. Good Karma no longer incorrectly increases Touch of Karma 's absorption. Healing from Glimmer of Light is now correctly modified by Mastery: Lightbringer . Echoing Blades ’ Fan of Knives explosion now always critically hits. Its base damage has been reduced by 75%. Developers’ note: This change allows the trait to scale with the talent Master Assassin in a more reasonable way. The total reduction of the Echo comes out to around 50%, with some variance depending on your Critical Strike chance. Missions
      Fixed a bug that caused Treasure Map missions to expire in 8 hours. They now expire in 72 hours. Developers’ note: This won’t affect missions that are currently in a player’s mission list, only newly-created missions. Professions
      Reverted yesterday's change to require Profession skill for using high iLvl crafted items. A number of recipes have been adjusted so that the Expulsom required by the recipe matches the amount of Expulsom returned when you scrapped the crafted item. Player versus Player
      Fixed a bug that caused players who have earned seasonal Gladiator achievements in Legion: Season 5 and Battle for Azeroth: Season 1 to not earn the Gladiator achievement. Death Knight Unholy Fixed an issue that caused the Zombie summoned by Reanimation (PvP Talent) to have more health than 5. Fixed a bug that caused Necrotic Strike 's initial damage to not be increased by Mastery: Dreadblade . Fixed a bug that could cause Necrotic Strike to apply too large of a healing absorb against non-player targets. Fixed a bug that caused the heal generated by Life and Death (PvP Talent) to be a critical heal. Fixed a bug that caused the heal of Life and Death to be larger than 10% of a heal cast on a target with your Festering Wound . Paladin Holy Cleanse the Weak will no longer incorrectly cause Cleanse to go on cooldown when it removes effects from friendly targets. Retribution Templar's Verdict and Divine Storm no longer deal reduced damage to enemy players. Priest Discipline Resolved an issue that caused Power Word: Shield 's value to be lower than intended when engaged in combat with enemy players. Power Word: Shield absorbs an additional 10% when engaged in combat with enemy players. Developers’ note: Shadow Priests’ Power Word: Shield was unaffected by the above and is unchanged. Shadow Fixed a bug that caused Greater Fade to be removed by Shadowy Apparitions . Rogue Fixed a bug that caused Vanish to end before the normal duration when taking damage and harmful effects. Assassination, Subtlety Fixed a bug that caused Subterfuge to not be applied when attacking during Vanish. World Quests
      Captured Zandalari no longer knockback NPCs during “Azerite Mining ”. Fixed an issue where Fozruk can sometimes fail to grant you World Quest credit. Fixed a bug that could remove a player from their manasaber mount on “Ley Race ”. Previous hotfixes.
    • By Stan
      Redditor Makesmashgreatagain noticed after 8.1 went live that ilvl 385 crafted items no longer work if you abandoned the profession used to craft them.
      Update: This was an unintended bug that was recently reverted.
      Placeholder for tweet 1072993206856380416 Emblazoned Deep Sea Breeches now require Zandalari Tailoring (110) as depicted in the screenshot below. The player switched to Alchemy/Enchanting and after Tides of Vengeance, the crafted item was red and gave no stats. The change was omitted from the official patch notes. We don't know at this time if it's just a bug or intended.

(Source)