FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

D.Va & Xul Hero Discussions

p2z97Nt.jpg

Discussions continue about D.Va and her post-nerf win rate and Xul's nerfs from yesterday.

D.Va

• At the time of nerfs, D.Va had the sixth highest win rate in Hero League for players that leveled her to 10 (Blizzard's standard metric).
  • After nerfs she's at 48%  and it's very likely that some of her underperforming talents will be buffed.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Hey guys, I'm Alex from the Live/Balance Team and I wanted to chime in here.

At the time of the nerfs to D.Va, she had the 6th highest winrate in Hero League (~54%) for players that had leveled her to 10 or higher (our standard metric). She was behind only Malthael, Uther, Ragnaros, Probius, and Tassadar. A lot of those Heroes have also received nerfs since that point in time.

We also find that newer Heroes continue to trend up for a while, and our personal experience told us that players were still learning to be really effective with D.Va, so we believed that nerfs were correct.

She's now at 48%, and anecdotally I've never been upset to see a D.Va in my games (nor felt like I shouldn't play her when the team composition made sense).

It's very likely that we'll do more Talent tuning as we progress, which will likely result in buffs to some of the under-performing Talents. Overall, we won't always hit it perfectly the first time, as each Hero reacts differently to tuning, but we're always watching and will continue to make adjustments to get it right eventually. We care deeply for each Hero that is released, and want to see them have a nice place in the Nexus.

GG WP!

Xul

• The intention of yesterday's changes was to nerf Xul, but at the same time, improve his W-oriented (Cursed StrikesCursed Strikes) build.
  • Devs want to make his three builds on par and they're closely monitoring his win rate.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Just pointing facts here. At the time i post this, Xul has a win rate of 55.8% or ~56% in hero league. I am waiting for the deserved nerf. Honestly, that champion is a beast, both in qm and hero league.

We're watching. The intention of the changes yesterday were to nerf Xul, but make the Cursed StrikesCursed Strikes (W) build a little better in the process (since it was about 5% lower winrate).

It's still too soon to make any conclusions, but an interesting observation is people are taking Grim ScytheGrim Scythe oriented builds less often, which is leading to a rise in his winrate (since the build isn't performing as well on average).

Obviously that's not ideal, we want to make all 3 builds on par, but its one of the things that leads to a fluctuation in a Hero's overall winrate that we need to keep in mind.

I love your posts. Feed us more hero data!!!
Thanks again.

I am glad you are watching the situation closely. I just want to say something, though i doubt it is necessary. Please, don't try to balance the game only on 1 gamemode. Balance the game around every gamemode - QM, HL, Bot games.

In general, we we aim to balance Hero League primarily, as that style of play usually trickles down into the other modes. If things are balanced there, we're usually in a pretty good spot in other game modes.

We do watch Quick Match especially to make sure nothing gets out of hand though. Certain Heroes thrive in the more chaotic Quick Match (and with less structured team compositions), so we expect some deviation from Hero League's results because of it. But if it makes for a degenerative experience, we'll make some changes trying to address just Quick Match problems when we need to.

I don't know where of a sudden did all those discussions about concrete heroes come, but I like it.

Btw, any chance of some of the oldest and/or less successful heroes getting a rework soon? Anybody knows/can answer?

21 minutes ago, MvonTzeskagrad said:

I don't know where of a sudden did all those discussions about concrete heroes come, but I like it.

Btw, any chance of some of the oldest and/or less successful heroes getting a rework soon? Anybody knows/can answer?

Dev communication for Heroes of the Storm is really good these days. I can't think of many Heroes off the top of my head. They'd like to rework most of the outdated heroes "in the future", no ETA. I remember they mentioned Medivh & Samuro lately. Keep an eye out here for specific threads that received a blue response.

So, my biggest concern on all this is two things. 

A) They act like 48% win rate is bad on D.Va, like if she isn't about 50% she isn't good. In a balanced world half of the heroes in the game would have a lower than 50% win rate. 48% is perfectly acceptable and still likely to rise a bit with no changes.

B) As predicted, D.Va is a champ that is going to be impossibly hard to balance. She has similar issues to Kled in League of Legends with the added bonus of being able to summon Skarl (or in this case her mech) back immediately after jumping out in some cases. You can't give a hero two health bars, an invulnerability and naturally high tankiness and then wonder why they take every single damage focused trait available to them.

On 28/07/2017 at 7:50 AM, Thorosofbeer said:

A) They act like 48% win rate is bad on D.Va, like if she isn't about 50% she isn't good. In a balanced world half of the heroes in the game would have a lower than 50% win rate. 48% is perfectly acceptable and still likely to rise a bit with no changes.

But this is only true in a perfect meta that includes every hero - depending on the sway of the meta, certain heroes will have a very low winrate, not because they are bad but because the meta has shifted. For example, if every game sees 3 tanks picked, Nova will have a much lower winrate. This isn't due to her being a bad hero, per say, but simply because it's not the right environment for her. 

On that note, the meta has shifted with D.Va's nerf. The only thing that actually changed was her, which means that she is playing in the exact same meta, but has dropped a huge amount of win %. I hope I'm kind of making sense. 

There are a lot of factors that can change the overall win rates of any particular hero, but I don't think some small and targeted buffs typical of the HotS team are going to hurt, especially if they encourage some talent diversity. 

9 hours ago, Plergoth said:

There are a lot of factors that can change the overall win rates of any particular hero, but I don't think some small and targeted buffs typical of the HotS team are going to hurt, especially if they encourage some talent diversity. 

I think that, after talent changes and revamps, you do also sometimes see people picking the hero up again and possibly not playing her as well as you can - I know that I have heroes above level 15 and I sometimes jump back on to them and feel incredibly rusty on them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Maditdrakes created an awesome video of how Mei should have been introduced to the Nexus...well, sort of! The video is a shorter recreation of the Diablo IV announcement cinematic trailer that we saw back at BlizzCon 2019.
      In the video, we see Mal'Ganis, Kharazim, and Mei in the role of Lilith.
    • By Stan
      Blizzard today released a new patch for Heroes of the Storm. The Climate Phenomena Nexus Anomaly has been disabled, and there are plenty of balance changes for multiple Heroes. Check out the official patch notes for more information.
      (Source)
      Heroes of the Storm has just been updated with Hero balance changes! Read on for details.
      Quick Navigation:
      General Heroes Bug Fixes General
      Nexus Anomaly - Climate Phenomena The Climate Phenomena Anomaly has been disabled. Return to Top
      Heroes
      TANK BRUISER HEALER MELEE RANGED Blaze Xul Kharazim Maiev Cassia Cho Yrel Lt. Morales   Gall Diablo   Rehgar   Greymane E.T.C.       Mephisto Garrosh       Tassadar Johanna       Tychus Mal'Ganis         Mei         Muradin         Stitches         Return to Top
      Tank
      Blaze
      Talents
      Level 1 Adrenaline Stimpack [Active] Additional functionality: While Blaze has over 80% Health, gain 25% bonus Attack Speed and 10% bonus Movement Speed. Endurance Stimpack [Passive] Cooldown reduced from 40 to 30 seconds. Adjusted functionality: When damaged while below 30% maximum Health, Endurance Stimpack will automatically cast if it is not on cooldown. Neural Stimpack [Active] Mana restoration increased from 30 to 40. Level 4 Incinerator Gauntlets [Passive] Moved from Level 7. No longer causes Basic Attacks to light Oil Spills. Meltdown [Trait] Damage reduction increased from 7% to 8% per stack. Level 7 Adhesive Petroleum [W] Moved from Level 4. Slow amount increased from 30% to 35%. Slow duration increased from 2.5 to 3 seconds. Additional functionality: Now also causes Basic Attacks to light Oil Spills. Return to Top
      Cho
      Talents
      Level 1 The Will of Cho [Trait] Moved from Level 20. New functionality: Killing enemy Minions grants 1 stack of The Will of Cho, and Hero Takedowns grant 10 stacks. Gain 1 Armor for every 30 stacks of the Will of Cho, up to a maximum of 10 Armor. This Armor bonus stacks with Ogre Hide. Level 4 Uppercut [Q] Damage reduced from 7% to 5% maximum Health. Additional functionality: Each Hero hit by Surging Fist reduces its cooldown by 5 seconds. Seared Flesh [Passive] Adjusted functionality: Attack damage bonus is kept when attacking different Heroic targets, and is only lost after 5 seconds or when a non-Heroic enemy is attacked. Level 7 Power Surge [Q] New functionality: Enemy Heroes who are hit by Surging Fist are Slowed by 30% for 2.5 seconds. Gain 15% Movement Speed while charging Surging Fist and for 2.5 seconds after casting the Ability. Level 16 Runed Gauntlet [Passive] Cooldown reduction increased from 5% to 6%. Level 20 Fuel for the Flame [Passive] Moved from Level 1. New functionality: Basic Attacks against enemies cause them to explode, dealing 21 damage to them and 45 damage to nearby enemies. This damage is doubled against enemy Heroes. Return to Top
      Diablo
      Base
      Shadow Charge [Q] Cooldown reduced from 13 to 12 seconds. Mana cost reduced from 70 to 65. Overpower [E] Cooldown reduced from 13 to 12 seconds. Mana cost reduced from 40 to 35. Talents
      Level 4 Life Leech [Passive] Healing increased from 1.5% to 2% maximum Health when not at full Souls. Healing increased from 3% to 4% maximum Health when at full Souls. Level 13 Hellfire [W] Damage per second to nearby enemies increased from 15 to 17. Return to Top
      E.T.C.
      Base
      Face Melt [W] Cooldown increased from 10 to 12 seconds. Mana cost increased from 50 to 55. Return to Top
      Garrosh
      Base
      Bloodthirst [W] Ability Effects now occur at the start of the Ability’s cast, rather than at the end. Talents
      Level 1 Body Check [Active] Cooldown reduced from 16 to 15 seconds. Slow duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds. Level 16 Mortal Combo has been reclassified as an [E] talent. Rough Landing [Q] Removed. New Talent: Seasoned Soldier [Passive] Gain 5% maximum Health, increase Groundbreaker’s Slow duration by 1 second, and Bloodthirst gains an additional charge. Level 20 Death Wish [R1] Additional functionality: Increase the duration of Warlord’s Challenge by .5 seconds. Deadly Calm [R2] Damage reduction increased from 25% to 40%. Inner Rage [Active] No longer causes the cooldown of Body Check to recharge faster. Additional functionality: Increase the healing reduction of Body Check by an additional 45%. Return to Top
      Johanna
      Base
      Iron Skin [Trait] Cooldown increased from 20 to 25 seconds. Talents
      Level 20 Radiating Faith [R2] Blessed Shield Stun duration against all targets reduced from 2 seconds to 1.75 seconds. Return to Top
      Mal'Ganis
      Talents
      Level 4 Echo of Doom [W] Damage increased from 54 to 60. Level 10 Dark Conversion Cooldown reduced from 80 to 60 seconds. Mana cost reduced from 70 to 60. Level 13 The Night Beckons [E] Slow duration increased from 2.5 to 3 seconds. Return to Top
      Mei
      Talents
      Level 1 Heavy Pack [Q] Cooldown reduction increased from .125 to .25 seconds. Level 4 Crystallize [Trait] Cooldown reduction reduced from 15 to 10 seconds. Duration of Spell Armor after Cryo-Freeze ends reduced from 2 to 1 second. Level 10 Avalanche [R1] Cooldown increased from 65 to 70 seconds. Ice Wall [R2] Cooldown reduced from 90 to 70 seconds. Level 20 Cascade [R1] Cooldown reduction increased from 25 to 30 seconds. Return to Top
      Muradin
      Base
      Thunder Clap [W] Movement and Attack Speed Slows increased from 25% to 30%. Return to Top
      Stitches
      Base
      Health reduced from 3150 to 3060. Health regeneration reduced from 6.56 to 6.38. Hook [Q] Range increased from 11 to 12. Slam [W] Mana cost reduced from 40 to 35. Additional functionality: Deals 50% bonus damage to Minions and Mercenaries. Talents
      Level 13 Fishing Hook [Q] Bonus range reduced from 50% to 40%. Return to Top
      Bruiser
      Xul
      Base
      Spectral Scythe [Q] Damage reduced from 200 to 190. Raise Skeleton [Trait] Damage done when Skeletal Warriors die reduced from 46 to 40. Talents
      Level 4 Jailors [Trait] Movement and Attack Speed bonuses reduced from 30% to 25%. Level 16 Weaken [W] Damage reduction reduced from 40% to 35%. Return to Top
      Yrel
      Talents
      Level 1 Light of Karabor [Q] Healing bonus when hitting one enemy Hero increased from 40% to 45%. Healing bonus when hitting more than one enemy Hero increased from 80% to 90%. Dauntless [Passive] Physical Armor reduced from 50 to 40. Maraad's Insight [Passive] Healing increased from 128 to 135. Return to Top
      Healer
      Kharazim
      Base
      Breath of Heaven [W] Healing increased from 276 to 285. Return to Top
      Lt. Morales
      Base
      Safeguard [W] Armor amount increased from 30 to 35. Return to Top
      Rehgar
      Talents
      Level 10 Bloodlust [R2] Duration reduced from 8 to 6 seconds. Healing from Basic Attacks reduced from 40% to 30%. Return to Top
      Melee Assassin
      Maiev
      Talents
      Level 1 Pursuit of Vengeance [W] Additional functionality: Each Hero hit by Spirit of Vengeance reduces the cooldown of Umbral Bind by 1 second. Level 7 Bonds of Corruption [W] Additional functionality: Enemy Heroes pulled by Umbral Bind have their Movement Speed reduced by 20% for 4 seconds. Level 10 Containment Disc [R1] Cooldown reduced from 50 to 40 seconds. Mana cost reduced from 60 to 50. Level 16 Vengeful Knives [Q] New functionality: Dealing damage to enemy Heroes causes the next cast of Fan of Knives that hits enemy Heroes to deal 1% maximum Health as bonus damage, up to 5%. Return to Top
      Ranged Assassin
      Cassia
      Base
      Basic Attack damage reduced from 130 to 125 Health reduced from 1700 to 1660 Health Regeneration reduced from 3.54 to 3.46. Talents
      Level 1 Charged Strikes [Passive] Bonus Attack Speed reduced from 20% to 15%. Bonus Basic Attack damage reduced from 20% to 15%. Level 4 Plate of the Whale [Trait] Bonus Health Regeneration reduced from 7 to 6. Bonus Health Regeneration when fully charged reduced from 14 to 12. Level 7 Surge of Light [Trait] Damage reduced from 300 to 285. Return to Top
      Gall
      Talents
      Level 4 Double Back [W] Removed. Rising Dread [W] Moved from Level 13. Additional functionality: Re-activate Dread Orb to reverse the third bounce. Level 13 Psychotic Break [Passive] Moved from Level 20. Additional functionality: Increase Gall’s damage to enemy Heroes by 10%. Level 20 New Talent: Twilight Frenzy [Active] Activate to reduce the cooldown of Shadowflame and Dread Orb to 2 seconds for the next 6 seconds. 30 seconds Cooldown. Return to Top
      Greymane
      Talents
      Level 10 Cursed Bullet [R2] Damage reduced from 40% to 35% maximum Health. Return to Top
      Mephisto
      Base
      Lightning Nova [W] Damage reduced from 45 to 43. Talents
      Level 1 Furious Spark [W] Damage reduced from 72 to 65. Level 13 Abhorred Skull [Q] Spell Power bonus increased from 20% to 25%. Return to Top
      Tassadar
      Talents
      Level 7 Beam Alignment [Q] No longer increases Tassadar’s Basic Attack range. Additional functionality: Reduce the Mana cost of Shock Ray from 55 to 45. Arc Discharge [Passive] Additional functionality: While Resonance Beam is fully charged, increase Tassadar’s Basic Attack range by 1. Level 10 Archon [R1] Shield amount reduced from 40% to 30% maximum Health. Return to Top
      Tychus
      Talents
      Various talents have been reordered to follow normal convention [Q, W, E, etc.] Level 7 Relentless Soldier [Passive] Armor amount increased from 25 to 30. Level 13 Spray 'n' Pray [Q] Additional functionality: Overkill also Slows enemy Movement Speed by 25%. Neosteel Coating [Active] Duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds. Level 16 Lead Rain [Q] Removed. Sizzlin' Attacks [Passive] Moved from Level 20. Armor Piercing Rounds [Q] New functionality: Each time Overkill hits an enemy, its damage against them is increased by 15%, stacking up to 60% bonus damage. Titan Grenade [W] Additional functionality: Each enemy Hero hit by Frag Grenade reduces its cooldown by 1 second. Level 20 New talent: Can Do This All Day [Q] Reduce Overkill’s cooldown by 4 seconds. While Channeling Overkill, Tychus gains 40 Armor. Return to Top
      Bug Fixes
      Heroes
      Ana Fixed an issue where Ana could get quest progress with Vampiric Rounds through Blinds and Evasion. Artanis Fixed an issue where Phase Prism had an incorrect Mana cost when cast during Blade Dash. E.T.C. Fixed an issue where Guitar Hero's cooldown effect was active without the talent needing to be taken. Tassadar Fixed an issue where Oracle did not reveal Creep Tumors. Whitemane Fixed an issue where Saintly Greatstaff worked on non-Heroic targets. A new balance patch has just hit the Nexus, check out the official patch notes for more details!
    • By Stan
      The Climate Phenomena Nexus Anomaly has proven to be disruptive to the normal flow of the game and caused FPS drops, so Blizzard removed it from the game.
      The current plan is to have one more Nexus Anomaly in 2020 and going forward, anomalies won't be pursued at a set cadence.
      (Source)
      Hello fellow Heroes!
      After reading through your feedback and deliberating amongst ourselves, we have decided to remove the Climate Phenomena anomaly from the Nexus. While this was not an easy decision to make, we feel it is the right thing to do for the game. We also wanted to take this time to more clearly define the purpose of our Nexus Anomalies, and our plans for them going forward.
      Nexus Anomalies were intended to serve two functions:
      We wanted to distribute our annual gameplay updates throughout the year, giving us the freedom to try exploratory changes that we weren’t committed to if they ended up not working out. Previously, we introduced all our gameplay updates each year around BlizzCon. These updates were usually fairly impactful, and many players had trouble adjusting to the large amount of sudden change. We wanted Heroes to have an exciting, fun change for players to look forward to every season. As far as what exactly each Anomaly would entail, we did not have too many set rules, largely to ensure that we had the creative freedom to try bold ideas. So far, we believe our Anomalies have largely been successful, particularly after we had some time to iterate on them.
      With Climate Phenomena, we wanted to play with two ideas. The first was introducing a new Hero to the Nexus with an accompanying theme, and the second was the prospect of changing game states throughout a match, with a minor impact on gameplay. Unfortunately, we’ve found that these changes were too disruptive to the normal flow of the game, and they didn’t add enough fun factor to account for how much they impacted the player experience. Some players also reported frame-per-second (FPS) issues due to the Anomaly, which we found to be unacceptable.
      Moving forward, we intend to finish the year with one more Anomaly, released alongside the final season of 2020. After that, we have decided that we will not be pursuing Anomalies at a set cadence like we did this year. We still plan on regular gameplay updates, and will continue to experiment with ways to make Heroes a better game, so you can count on that still happening. In the future, we want to take a bit more time and release updates only when we feel they are in a more polished state, and we want to give the members of the Development Team the freedom to explore certain longstanding issues that we think are important to the community. For example, we’re considering large updates to maps that we feel could use some design improvements.
      As always, thank you for taking the time to read through our thoughts, and for the years playing this game, which we love so much, alongside us. We’ll see you… in the Nexus!
    • By Stan
      The Heroes team will be hosting their next AMA and answer your questions on Thursday, July 16. Feel free to submit your questions here in the meantime. We will be back with a recap as usual.
      (Source)
      Greetings, Heroes!
      We’re going to host our next AMA on Thursday, July 16, 2020, PDT.
      The following Heroes developers will join the thread and answer your questions starting around 10:00 a.m. PDT (7:00 p.m. CET) until 12:00 p.m. PDT (9:00 p.m. CET).
      Adam Z. Jackson (/u/BlizzAZJackson) Andrew Kinabrew (/u/Blizz_KinaBREW) Brett Crawford (/u/Blizz_Daybringer) David P Warner (/u/Blizz_DWarner) Dorothy Sheng (/u/BlizzDorothy) Joshua Kofalt – (/u/BlizzKofalt) Kaeo Milker (/u/KaeoMilker) Kevin Gu (/u/BlizzKGu) Kyle Dates (/u/BlizzKyle) Sergey Morozov (/u/Blizz_SMorozov) Taylor Hankins (/u/Blizz_Hankins) When posting multiple AMA questions: Please make an effort to post one question per comment. This will make it easier for others to read through the thread, and will help the developers focus on one question at a time. However, please feel free to comment as many times as you'd like in order to get your questions posted.
      You can start posting your questions right now, and we'll see you on Thursday!
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Tier List.