Starym

PTR Patch Notes and Dev Update: Deathmatch!

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

PEWa96y.jpg

New game mode, new map and a lot of big hero changes in this PTR edition!

Never say nerver, as Deathmatch, a mode the OW team explicitly said would never be in the game, is on the PTR right now! Jeff Kaplan also talks about it and the reasons for the change of heart in the latest dev update. In addition to the new game mode and new map for said mode we also get some hero changes: Junkrat can now have 2 trip mines and gets a faster tire; Orisa gets faster projectiles and a bigger barrier; Roadhog can now heal himself during movement and takes less damage while healing; Widowmaker gets a shorter cooldown grapple and can see poisoned enemies through walls!

Blizzard LogoDeathmatch PTR (source)

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS

New Game Modes: Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch

Two new game modes have been added to the Arcade: Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch!

In Deathmatch, eight players go head-to-head until one player scores 20 points. Players will earn 1 point whenever they land the final blow on an opponent and will lose 1 point whenever they die to environmental damage (ex: falling off a cliff) or self-inflicted damage. This scoring will be tracked in a brand-new scoreboard. The first player to 20 points wins!

In Team Deathmatch, two teams of four players face off until one team scores 30 points. Players will earn 1 point for their team whenever they land the final blow on an opponent and will lose 1 point for their team whenever they die to environmental damage (ex: falling off a cliff) or self-inflicted damage. If players are resurrected before they respawn, the corresponding point for their death will be deducted from the enemy team’s score. This scoring will be tracked in our default scoreboard. The first team to 30 points wins!

Both modes will play out on a selection of maps from our existing pool:

• Hanamura
  • Horizon Lunar Colony
  • Temple of Anubis
  • Volskaya Industries
  • Dorado
  • Eichenwalde
  • Hollywood
  • King’s Row
  • (TDM only) Black Forest
  • (TDM only) Castillo
  • (TDM only) Ecopoint: Antarctica
  • (TDM only) Necropolis

We’ve made several modifications to many of these maps (including restricting play to a specific area and developing a special respawn system) when playing in these modes. We’re also introducing a brand-new map specifically for Deathmatch: Château Guillard! Learn more about this map below.

Both modes will be available for play in Custom Games. Watch our developer update for additional insight: [link]

New Deathmatch Map: Château Guillard

Château Guillard is located near Annecy in southeastern France. For hundreds of years, it was the estate of the influential Guillard family, until it gradually fell into disrepair after the family's power waned in the decades after the Revolution. Recently, the château has found a new owner: the Talon agent Widowmaker, who has returned to her family's ancestral home.

GENERAL

• A number of data format changes have been implemented
Developer Comments: Over the past few months, we’ve been working on a number of significant under-the-hood changes that will help us streamline the patching process. This will allow us to reduce the download size in future patches, but it does mean that today’s patch is larger than a traditional patch.

HERO UPDATES

Junkrat

• Concussion Mine
    • Junkrat can now hold two mines
  • RIP-Tire
    • Tire’s movement speed has been increased by 30%
    • There is no longer a time limit when wall climbing
Developer Comments: Giving the Junkrat the ability to store two concussion mines adds some much-needed flexibility and versatility to his kit, particularly when using the mines for mobility. RIP-Tire’s damage has always been very good, but it was often difficult to steer the tire into position before it was destroyed. Increasing its speed will allow players to effectively detonate the tire more often and decrease the amount of time that Junkrat is vulnerable while controlling it.

Orisa

• Fusion Driver
    • Projectile speed increased by 20%
  • Protective Barrier
    • Barrier size increase by 20%
    • Barrier shape has been changed to allow for more coverage from enemies that are below the barrier
Developer Comments: The projectile speed increase helps Orisa’s consistency, especially at medium ranges (or further). Her barrier size has been increased to better protect her team, and the new shape makes the shield more effective when it’s used on slopes or on top of objects (such as a payload).

Roadhog

• Take a Breather
    • Can now be used while moving
    • Damage taken while healing has been reduced by 50%
Developer Comments: These changes help Roadhog be much more aggressive when looking for hook targets or blocking for his team. The combination of these effects significantly increases Roadhog’s sustainability and survivability.

Widowmaker

• Grappling Hook
    • Cooldown has been reduced from 12 seconds to 8
  • Venom Mine
    • Affected targets are now visible through walls (to you as Widowmaker only)
Developer Comments: Widowmaker is extremely powerful in the right hands, but her abilities often felt a little weak. The Grappling Hook cooldown reduction means she is more likely to have it available when she needs to escape. Venom Mine is intended to be an early warning system, uncovering enemies that are attempting to flank her or her team. With this change, she can see enemies when they trigger the mine, even if they’re on the other side of a wall.

USER INTERFACE

• Added an “Outline Opacity” option under the custom reticle settings (found under Controls > Options > Advanced), which allows players to control the opacity of the black outline surrounding the reticule

BUG FIXES

General

• Fixed a bug that occasionally required the Capture Point progress bar to progress past the second tick mark before being activated

Heroes

• Fixed a bug that could cause D.Va's black ejection screen to briefly reappear after being ejected from her mech
  • Fixed a bug causing D.Va’s Light Gun to use the wrong texture while outside of her mech when the Junker skin was equipped
  • Fixed a bug that caused D.Va’s hair to stand straight up on the Hero Select screen when her Cruiser was equipped
  • Fixed a bug causing the lights on the back of Doomfist’s gauntlet to incorrectly indicate full ammo when his Hello emote was activated
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the area-of-effect circle for Doomfist’s Meteor Strike from being visible to all players
  • Fixed a bug preventing the height from Doomfist’s Meteor Strike from being high enough to reach certain locations
  • Fixed a bug that was preventing Doomfist’s Rocket Punch from connecting with enemy players that were moving up an incline
  • Fixed a bug that caused Hanzo’s arrow to disappear when his Meditate emote was active
  • Fixed a bug preventing Orisa’s “Overclocked” achievement from being granted, even after the criteria was met
  • Fixed a bug causing Sombra’s teeth to be visible while her Stealth ability was active when her Los Muertos skin was equipped
  • Fixed a bug causing Sombra’s reload animation to play even when interrupted

Maps

• Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations on Ecopoint: Antarctica
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to see past the map’s background on Black Forest
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations on Black Forest
  • Fixed a bug that caused the announcer to say “Traveling to Dorado” when joining Castillo
  • Fixed a bug that prevented some equipment (vents, pipes, etc.) from properly connecting to the walls of the power plant on Dorado
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations on Hanamura
  • Fixed an issue that caused sprays to display incorrectly on the crane on the Horizon Lunar Colony
  • Fixed a bug that could cause A.I. heroes to get themselves stuck while traveling to the Well Capture Point on Ilios
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations on Ilios
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations on Oasis
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Pharah’s Jump Jet from recharging while perched on doorframes in Oasis
  • Fixed a bug that prevented doorframes from being visible and lacking collision on the Practice Range

User Interface

• Fixed a bug in the Options > Controls menu that prevented the asterisk (which normally indicates that changes have been made) from being removed from the hero’s dropdown after controls have been set to default
  • Fixed a bug causing the Back button to disappear when scrolling through the list of available games in the Game Browser
  • Fixed a bug that prevented grouped players from appearing linked in the tab menu during a Custom Game

Wow! These are all great buffs to underused characters. Even if it doesn't make them super viable, I'm sure people who enjoy them will be very happy! 

1 hour ago, enviousmtg said:

Wow! These are all great buffs to underused characters. Even if it doesn't make them super viable, I'm sure people who enjoy them will be very happy! 

I really love playing widowmaker on maps where she shines, especially when countering specific heroes such as Pharah, Zarya, Roadhog, Hanzo, Genji, the supports etc. Getting wallhacks with the venom mine helps with the problem she has on maps where she's difficult to play (Areas with lots of flanks) but doesn't help her at all against her hardcounters which I think is the biggest issue for her on a couple of maps.

Thankfully my gm teams really know how to shut those down while I take care of their counters. I still think Widowmaker is OP on favored maps, but what do I care, I get my points with her so... whatever. If they bring too many hardcounters against my widow then that simply means the rest of my teams hardcounters them. Just need quick reflexes and good positioning and its just a point and click adventure to ggez.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:06 AM, Yridaa said:

Thankfully my gm teams really know how to shut those down while I take care of their counters. I still think Widowmaker is OP on favored maps, but what do I care, I get my points with her so... whatever. If they bring too many hardcounters against my widow then that simply means the rest of my teams hardcounters them. Just need quick reflexes and good positioning and its just a point and click adventure to ggez.

Even with a Winston on the enemy team, it can be so easy to take them down, especially with the new hook time. It's going to be awesome.

must be my low elo talking, but the buff to 'rat seems pretty strong. not necessarily a core character, but sees a lot of play where i'm at (and for good reason; when team aren't coordinated he sows a lot of chaos and is perhaps the best one-person shield-buster).  making the double-mine-jump on-demand is a *big* defensive buff  for those that learn to make use of it, and the ult buff is nothing to shake a stick at either (as it addresses the only weakness of this otherwise strong Q)

Edited by Voltorocks
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 4:59 AM, Voltorocks said:

must be my low elo talking, but the buff to 'rat seems pretty strong. not necessarily a core character, but sees a lot of play where i'm at (and for good reason; when team aren't coordinated he sows a lot of chaos and is perhaps the best one-person shield-buster).  making the double-mine-jump on-demand is a *big* defensive buff  for those that learn to make use of it, and the ult buff is nothing to shake a stick at either (as it addresses the only weakness of this otherwise strong Q)

From a high elo perspective, it's not just a defense buff. It's a HUGE offensive buff against Tracer. Previously, Tracer could just recall your mine damage and dodge your bombs. You can now either instant kill her before Recall or literally just hold one for Recall and kill her out of it. Junkrat is going to be even more of a problem for her now. It's also going to be incredibly good on holding points 1v1, since you can now bounce enemies. Mine them up and then mine them away, letting you cap. It also makes the mine + trap combo far easier on people like Reinhardt.

Definitely going to see more people playing Junk now and not just on things like Anubis A Def. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym

A new map, stop motion cake antics, behind the scenes making of videos + 2 new skins!
      The reveal on yesterday's Overwatch league was a video of the new Petra Deathmatch map, but while everyone was expecting another skin preview from the anniversary event, we got something much better and most importantly, it was cake related:
      It seems the OW team won't be satisfied until the game is present in all media forms, so watch out Saturday morning cartoons!
      The new DM map is Petra, where archaeologists have dug up some ancient structures and, of course, the first thing to do when you find priceless antiques is to get a bunch of Overwatch and Talon agents to shoot each other in their vicinity!
      And here is some behind the scenes action from the stop motion Tracer short above, making it all the more impressive
      We also got two skin revels during the last week, and even though they're only Epic, they change almost as much as some legendary ones. The new skins which are part of the anniversary event that starts next week on May 22nd and it will also bring at least 8 more new skins as well as other cosmetics, with the main event being skins and brawls from past events dropping!
      You can check out more info on the event here.
    • By Zadina

We've rounded up some blue posts from the past couple of days on issues like Hanzo's Storm Arrows, changes to Horizon Lunar Colony, Symmetra's rework and the possibility of Winston buffs.
      Hanzo's recent rework has made him quite powerful. Storm Arrows, which replaced Scatter Arrow, have proven as frustrating to play against as their predecessor. The Overwatch team has decided to lower the damage of each arrow in the next PTR build.
      Geoff Goodman
      We’ve been testing some nerfs internally and have decided to make a change for the upcoming patch. We’re reducing the damage per arrow from 80 to 70, which not only drops them out of one-shot territory for 200 hp heroes (w/ dmg boost), but also drops them out of one-shot range of 150 heroes such as Tracer and D.Va pilot.
      The ability will still be very strong overall, but this change should help mitigate the most frustrating element of fighting against it. We’re looking at getting this change up onto the PTR soon.
      (source) Hanzo's Ultimate charge generation rate is also under scrutiny, but the team wants to see how the aforementioned changes affect the performance of the Japanese archer before tweaking him any further.
      Geoff Goodman
      We’ve talked about this as well but changing a heroes damage already affects their ult charge. If it still seems too frequent after Storm Arrows lands in a good place we can look at it again. (source)
      Jeff Kaplan popped in the forums yesterday to say that big changes are coming to the Horizon Lunar Colony map in a PTR build that will go live at the beginning of June. It's not clear whether this build will also contain the nerf to Hanzo's Storm Arrow or whether there 'll be another build before that.
      Jeff Kaplan
      We have big changes coming to the Horizon map. The changes will most likely hit PTR close to the beginning of June. We’ve fixed the Defender spawn room issue you noted on Point B (among other things).
      More details to come as we get closer. (source)
      After Hanzo's rework, the next hero in line is Symmetra. We already know that her rework is going to turn her into a Defense hero and Geoff Goodman shared some further insight onto some of the changes the team is experimenting on.
      Geoff Goodman
      I don’t really have visuals to show you sadly, but we’re very much in progress working on her still. There have been a few changes to her as we’ve been play testing her since I last posted.
      Firstly, her turrets are still projectiles, but they are now able to be destroyed while in the air. This makes it harder to throw them directly at people in a fight to force them to turn around to kill it. Now you have to be a little more sneaky where you throw them or just pre-place them.
      Secondly, her teleporter ability now requires a button input to trigger, but the teleporter works both directions. This means you can do new tricks like tossing it into an enemy Zarya ult from far away and pull your team out to safety. We’ve also seen interesting strats where a Symm can baby-sit a friendly Ana/Zen and place a TP if they get jumped on, giving a mobility out to heroes that don’t typically have that option. There is a small cooldown before you can take the teleporter once you’ve used it, so you can’t just spam back and forth instantly.
      Those are the biggest changes since last post, but there have been many small numbers tweaks to get her in shape. Hopefully we’ll have something reasonably soon for you guys to see/play!
      (source) Lastly, Jeff from the Overwatch team shot down the possibility of any Winston buffs for now.
      Jeff Kaplan
      We’re not currently considering buffing Winston or changing his kit. (source)
    • By Starym

Here we go with some official talk on the anniversary event coming next week, after the leak yesterday. Jeff Kaplan is back and shares everything that's coming, including 8 new legendary skins, a new Deathmatch map, Petra, the first Free-for-All Competitive Deathmatch Season, a free legendary loot box and more!
      00:10 – Overwatch Anniversary 2018 begins May 22!
      00:25 – We want to celebrate YOU
      00:40 – Introducing a new Free-for-all Deathmatch map: PETRA!
      01:14 – You asked, we delivered…
      01:36 – …announcing our first Free-for-All Competitive Deathmatch Season!
      01:53 – Log in and receive a free Legendary Anniversary Loot Box
      02:00 – Anniversary Loot Boxes can contain items from past seasonal events
      02:57 – Previous seasonal brawls and missions are back!
      03:25 – New Anniversary cosmetics, including 8 new legendary skins
      03:36 – Here’s a hint about one of the upcoming new skins
      03:52 – Thank you for an incredible two years of Overwatch!
    • By Starym

In addition to the May 22nd Anniversary event, that will see all skins and brawls coming back, we'll also get a free weekend soon thereafter! As usual all maps and heroes will be available, and for those that don't own Overwatch yet, all progress made during the weekend will be saved! There will also be a new Legendary edition of the game that comes with 15 skins, including the Origin ones that were only available with the game's original launch.
      May 25 (source)
      Attention, recruits! The second anniversary of Overwatch is around the corner, and if you haven't already had the opportunity to suit up and save the world as one of our heroes, now's your chance.
      From May 25–28, we're calling on all prospective agents: assemble your teams and dive in during the Overwatch Free Weekend on PC, PlayStation®4, or Xbox One!
      For this free weekend, we're making Overwatch's full roster of 27 heroes and 18 maps available for play in a variety of modes, including Quick Play, Custom Games, and the Arcade. Players will also be able to level up, earn Loot Boxes, and unlock a variety of different customization options for their heroes. Plus, if you decide to purchase Overwatch after test driving the game, you'll get to keep any progress that you made during the weekend—just be sure to use the same Blizzard, Xbox Live, or Sony Entertainment account that you played on.
      PlayStation 4 players will be able to join this free weekend without a PS Plus account. PS Plus will be required to play Overwatch after May 28, but subscription options will be available to purchase at any time during and after the promotion.
      For more details and to learn how you can participate, read on below!

Deployment Schedule Installation and Play Instructions Free Weekend FAQ
      The Overwatch Free Weekend will run from May 25–28. All PlayStation 4 owners (even those with a PlayStation Plus membership), Xbox One owners with an Xbox Live Gold membership, and Windows PC users with a Battle.net account will be able to download and play Overwatch for FREE during this period—no special keys or sign-up codes needed!
      The free period will begin on May 25 at 11:00 a.m. PT and end on May 28 at 11:59 p.m. PT in all participating regions across all platforms. If you'd like to see when the weekend will go live in your region, check out the guides below. For additional time zone assistance, please visit timezoneconverter.com.  

EUROPE: THE AMERICAS: ASIA: 19:00 BST on May 25
      20:00 CET on May 25
      22:00 MSK on May 25
      11:00 a.m. PDT on May 25
      12:00 p.m. MDT on May 25
      1:00 p.m. CDT on May 25
      3:00 p.m. ADT on May 25
      3:30 p.m. NDT on May 25
      3:00 p.m. BRT on May 25
      2:00 a.m. SGT on May 26
      4:00 a.m. AEST on May 26
      6:00 a.m. NZST on May 26
      2:00 a.m. CST on May 26
      3:00 a.m. KST on May 26
      3:00 a.m. JST on May 26
      The Overwatch Free Weekend may not be available on all platforms in all regions. See our FAQ for details.

Before your watch can begin, you'll first need to install Overwatch on your chosen platform. Every platform is a little different—to install and play on May 25, please follow the instructions below.
      FOR WINDOWS PC (February 16):
      Step 1: Download and install the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app, if you haven't already, and launch it.
      Step 2: Create a FREE Blizzard account, or log in with an existing account. 
      Step 3: Click the "Overwatch" icon, located on the left-hand side of the Blizzard desktop app.
      Step 4: Select your region from the drop-down menu, then click "Install" to begin the installation process.
      Step 5: Once installed, click "Play" to begin!
      FOR PLAYSTATION 4 (Pre-download starting at 11:00 AM PDT on May 22nd):
      Step 1: Turn on your PlayStation 4 and log in to your preferred local user. 
      Step 2: Go to PlayStation Store and select "Search" from the top menu. 
      Step 3: In the search field, type in "Overwatch."
      Step 4: Select "Overwatch Free Weekend" from the search results and then click "Download."
      Step 5: Once the download and installation process is complete, click "Start" to begin!
      FOR XBOX ONE (Pre-download starting at 11:00 AM PDT on May 22nd):
      Step 1: Turn on your Xbox One and log in to your Xbox Live account.
      Step 2: Go to the Xbox One Store, then select "Search."
      Step 3: In the search field, type in "Overwatch."
      Step 4: Select "Overwatch: Origins Edition" from the search results and then click "Free Trial."
      Step 5: Once the download and installation process is complete, click "Launch" to begin!
      The Overwatch Free Weekend client will be available for download from May 25–28. 

Q. In what regions is the Free Weekend available? 
      A. The Free Weekend will be offered in all regions on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. On PC, it will only be available in our Americas, Europe, and Asia gameplay regions—excluding Korea. For more information on which countries are associated with each of our Blizzard gameplay regions, click here.
      Q. What game content will be available during the Free Weekend? 
      A. During the Free Weekend, players will have access to Overwatch's full roster of heroes, maps, and a selection of features—including Quick Play, Custom Games, the Arcade, and Loot Boxes.
      Q. How many heroes are available in Overwatch? 
      A. There are 27 heroes available to play in Overwatch! To learn more about these heroes, click here.
      Q. How many maps are available in Overwatch? 
      A. There 18 different maps available in Overwatch, each with different goals and objectives:
      Assault: Hanamura, Horizon Lunar Colony, Temple of Anubis, and Volskaya Industries Escort: Dorado, Junkertown, Route 66, and Watchpoint: Gibraltar Assault/Escort: Blizzard World, Eichenwalde, Hollywood, King's Row, and Numbani Control: Ilios, Lijiang Tower, Nepal, and Oasis Q. How many players does each mode support?
      A. Quick Play maps supports 12 players in a 6v6 format. The Arcade features alternate games modes and maps that support players in a 1v1, 3v3, 6v6, and free-for-all formats. 
      Q. What different play modes are available in Overwatch during the Free Weekend?
      A. There are a variety of ways to play Overwatch during the Free Weekend! 
      Quick Play: Jump into a game against other players of similar skill. Play vs. AI: Hone your skills against a team of AI-controlled heroes. Custom Game: Customize the rules and play a game with your friends or AI. The Arcade: Change things up with alternate games modes featuring different rules sets and restrictions. Players can also learn the ropes in a series of training modes: Tutorial, Practice Range, and Practice vs. AI.
      Q. Do I need Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus membership to participate in the Free Weekend? 
      A. This weekend, all PlayStation 4 owners will be able to join the Overwatch free weekend without a PlayStation Plus membership. Xbox One owners are required to have an Xbox One Live Gold membership to play during the Free Weekend.
      Q. What languages are supported during Free Weekend?
      A. The Free Weekend will be supported in 13 languages across all platforms: English, French, German, Polish, Italian, Russian, Castilian Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
      Q. Will my progress from the Free Weekend carry over if I purchase Overwatch  later? 
      A. Yes. Any progression you earn, including levels as well as skins and other items you get from Loot Boxes, will carry over to the full game if you purchase Overwatch® Legendary Edition on Xbox One or PlayStation 4 or any version of Overwatch on PC—just be sure you purchase the game on the same account you played on during this free weekend.
      Your stats will also be retained. (Trophies and achievements, however, have been disabled for the Free Weekend.)
      Q. Will PC and console gamers be able to play together during the Free Weekend? 
      A: No, cross-platform play is not available in Overwatch. 
      Q. Will there be any sort of maintenance planned during the Free Weekend?
      A. There's no downtime or maintenance currently planned for the Free Weekend. If this plan changes at any point, we'll be sure to provide information about major service interruptions in the official forums. For additional status updates, be sure to follow @PlayOverwatch on Twitter.