Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jay01235

dps low as unholy dk 514 ilevel

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys idk why but im only getting like 54kdps single target as unholy with 514 ilevel is that right? anyway ill link you to my armory and can you tell me whats up? and maybe a good rotation to follow.

any help is appreciated please help ;P

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/silvermoon/J%C3%A5y/advanced

Edited by jay01235

It would help if you gave alittle of an idea of what you do when you dps, but from your armory you need to get 7.5 expertise.  It also might help if you put some gems and enchants in even if they arent the best but at least you would have something in the sockets and enchanted them. 

I also noticed you have taken the Blood Tap talent which can be a dps lost if you arent using it because I see so many people take the talent but sit on billions of blood charges wasting runes. 

The easiest way to manage it is to macro it into Death Coil so you never waste any.

#show tooltip Death Coil

/cast Death Coil

/cast Blood Tap

You should also make sure to be dpsing from behind the target all the time if possible.

Make sure your ghoul is always with you and attacking and you Death Coil to keep your ghoul buffed as much as possible and Death Coil to prevent runic cap.

Same rule for runes, don't let them cap by festering strike to extend your dots and scourge strike when necessary. Im not the best at playing unholy so I find myself festering strike alot more than scourge strike so maybe someone else will post on this later.

Another thing is keep your Blood plague and frost fever up as much as possible, as unholy blood plague does so much damage over the course of a fight.

Lastly using your CDs on cooldown such as Summon Gargoyle, Unholy Frenzy (on yourself), and Dark Transformation.

When Dark Transformation runs out you want to try to pool runic power and Death Coil as much as you can when it ends to rebuff your ghoul as its a big source of your damage. If you have a free moment cast Horn of winter (this should always be on CD) for extra runic power.

So DONT runic power cap or rune cap. DO keep Diseases on and keep CDs on cooldown. 

I cant think of anything else atm but I hope Ive helped alittle.

thank you for this and ill tell you a little about what im using erm now i also use necrotic strike and idk whether i should tongue.png

i do use blood tap but because i used to do pvp i always seem to use it for necrotic strike.

i dont really have a rotation sad.png

Edited by jay01235

Do you see the character audit, which is shown on your armory? ;)

Sorry to sound harsh, but there is so much wrong on your character that you should really start reading this:

http://www.icy-veins.com/unholy-death-knight-wow-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities (at least single target "rota")

and this:

http://www.icy-veins.com/unholy-death-knight-wow-pve-dps-statistics-priority-reforging

and basically the whole guide

Then start fixing your equipment (enchants, gems, proper reforging for hit/exp caps).

Afterwords we can start talking about talent & glyph choices. If you are inexperienced in DPS I would suggest taking Runic Corruption.

And you never ever want to use necrotic strike in PvE.

And THAN we can talk about how to play your unholy dk ;)

honestly be as harsh as you want. im here to improve. and so if you dont use necro strike in pve what do you use death runes for?

ok look now is that better ive also got belt buckle and boot enchant but it doesnt show becuase i havent logged.

Death runes are your "joker" runes which can be used instead of any other rune. You can use your death rune as an unholy, frost or blood rune. As an unholy DK you normally treat death runes as unholy runes

ok look now is that better ive also got belt buckle and boot enchant but it doesnt show becuase i havent logged.

Yeah, looks better, but you should try to get your hit % lower to 7.5%, because any hit above 7.5% is totally wasted

Edited by Farnion

I'd reccomend Switching to Frost. Unholy requires a certain Finese to play effectively, something you seem to lack. Not to mention how cringe worthy all your Pvp gear is. Overall, Frost is a hell of a lot easier, and at the moment more dps. So switch to that, and leave Unholy to the old codgers like myself.

well im gunna compare the dps and go with that i think.

Unholy takes a lot of practice. Comparing the dps really isn't fair at the moment because of just how easy frost is. What I do when I'm not feeling up to scratch with a toon is create a new toon with the spec I want to learn. So, ideally, hopping on another server and creating an unholy dk might help a lot.

Unholy takes a lot of practice. Comparing the dps really isn't fair at the moment because of just how easy frost is. What I do when I'm not feeling up to scratch with a toon is create a new toon with the spec I want to learn. So, ideally, hopping on another server and creating an unholy dk might help a lot.

i think this is a really good idea. its just i want to play unholy so bad just because its harder frost is like what 3 abilities..

I suppose that WOULD be helpful if he wanted to learn how to perform at lvl 55.  And have all the hit/expertise % be wrong/impossible to reach.  And not have all the spells like sudden doom, rune of the fallen crusader, gargoyle, and dark transformation or all the other essential pieces to endgame raid dps.  Eh unholy can go without mastery though so I sort of see your point.

If OP is dead set on playing unholy he should be aware that keeping diseases up is where most of the damage comes from and unless you are locking down a caster that using necrotic should be replaced by scourge strike.  OP might also like to know that unholy is simming the lowest dps of all the dk specs.  But if he likes the play style it should perform well enough to down bosses, the key thing is not standing in fire/interupts and being an off-offtank while you battle res the tank that went down you can pop IBF and put somebody more important than you back in the fight.

Or is OP actually trying to get better at pvp? he didnt actually say.

Edited by Failhard

I suppose that WOULD be helpful if he wanted to learn how to perform at lvl 55.  And have all the hit/expertise % be wrong/impossible to reach.  And not have all the spells like sudden doom, rune of the fallen crusader, gargoyle, and dark transformation or all the other essential pieces to endgame raid dps.  Eh unholy can go without mastery though so I sort of see your point.

If OP is dead set on playing unholy he should be aware that keeping diseases up is where most of the damage comes from and unless you are locking down a caster that using necrotic should be replaced by scourge strike.  OP might also like to know that unholy is simming the lowest dps of all the dk specs.  But if he likes the play style it should perform well enough to down bosses, the key thing is not standing in fire/interupts and being an off-offtank while you battle res the tank that went down you can pop IBF and put somebody more important than you back in the fight.

Or is OP actually trying to get better at pvp? he didnt actually say.

I kinda disagree with this,

if you want to learn the unholy rotation better it is probably better to start a new one. you will get each of the abilities one by one and will learn while playing, it gives you alot of practice doing dungeons/quests.

Also, when you hit level 90 you will notice that you will get gear VERY fast.

I recently hit 90 with my mw monk. She had 437 il, I walked around timeless isle for an hour clicking anything clickable and I made it to 478. this is just one hours work.

And leveling is really fast btw. Just pick your favourite looms and rush through it in matter of short days.

honestly thank you all for your help but i think im going to wait until unholy gets a bit better or if i get better geared geared unholy dks somehow pull out nearly 200k dps. so yeah hm but again thank you.

NEVER NECROTIC STRIKE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER IN PVE!

Sorry, what did you say there, I cannot read it at all, maybe you could use a larger text size...

lol, for real. Trieu is right, necrotic strike should pretty much only be used in PvP

Personally, I find Unholy easier to play than Frost. I like the fact that I don't have to stare at my bars and make snap decisions about what move to use next. I leveled my DK from level 55 as Unholy and kept him that way through thick and thin, and it's just second nature to me.

Make sure minion is summoned. Unholy Presence (green skull).

Use Army of the Dead before the pull. Please get Glyph of Army of the Dead!

Use Unholy Frenzy and the gargoyle as soon as you can, and on cooldown.

Get your diseases up with Outbreak, and refresh them with Plague Strike once you get a Fallen Crusader proc.

Keep diseases up with Festering Strike.

Spend Unholy Runes on Scourge Strike.

Dump Runic Power by using Death Coil generously.

Blood Tap twice when you hit 10 charges (keep track of this when you're using Death Coil).

Transform your ghoul as soon as the button lights up.

Under 35% health, use Soul Reaper on cooldown.

It sounds complicated, but most of the time it boils down to get diseases up, spam Festering Strike and Death Coil, and use your cooldowns, stupid.

Sorry, what did you say there, I cannot read it at all, maybe you could use a larger text size...

lol, for real. Trieu is right, necrotic strike should pretty much only be used in PvP

I would respectfully disagree with both of you and remind you that slowing/interupting the shamans in siege of orgrimar is paramount.  That Arcweavers are second priority on Nazgrim because magistrike is dangerous. And that slowing down their casting time: gives you more time to interupt them and lowers the number of heals/damage they can put out by 50%.