Zadina

Hearthstone Gets Its First Animated Short

15 posts in this topic

5X1DL0PV1FY01503104998743.jpg

After Overwatch, Hearthstone is the next Blizzard game to get its animated short series.

A series of Hearthstone animated shorts has premiered today with "Hearth and Home". The protagonist is Ava, a young girl who is lost in the cold woods, until she discovers the warm Hearthstone tavern. We also finally get to know the name of the Innkeeper, which is Harth Stonebrew.

Other notable characters are Malto, the wise old Mage; Sarge, an adorable mouse; Fewz and Wick, the Goblin brothers; Lou, the most fabulous Paladin ever; Bertie, a female Gnome; Urk, a tough-looking Orc; and Velaris, an arrogant Blood Elf.

The short features some top quality animation and is quite reminiscent of Pixar Studios works. Enjoy!

What do you think, guys? Now that Hearthstone officially got a lot more personality, perhaps there will be hearthstone heroes in HotS one day as well. ^.^

Lou would be awesome! :D

• Like 1

This was the best short of Gamescom. Don't get me wrong, I loved Mei's, but I can believe how good this one was. 

• Like 1

Blizzard, take our money and invest in the animation department. We need this as a movie.

I think a The Lost Vikings movie would look gorgeous in this art style.

Or rather, make a true Warcraft movie using only CGI (akin to Tin Tin and Polar Express).

Also, can we get Harth Stonebrew  (I see what you did there Blizzard) as a playable character in Heroes of the Storm? Or even as a skin for Muradin.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Also, can we get Harth Stonebrew  (I see what you did there Blizzard) as a playable character in Heroes of the Storm? Or even as a skin for Muradin.

I'd die for the Innkeeper in HoTS, throwing mugs and cards at people! Ultimate of flipping the table!

BLIZZARD JUST MADE THIS SHORT SO WE COULD HAVE AVA IN HOTS

also prob gonna watch this sometime :)

i started to watch this and just couldn't get all the way through blizzard is supposed to be blizzard not frikin Disney :<

5 hours ago, Lamuria said:

i started to watch this and just couldn't get all the way through blizzard is supposed to be blizzard not frikin Disney :<

Hearthstone itself is pretty colorful, so I think this fits perfectly. All the Hearthstone trailers played in a similar fashion, but they were just semi-animated (static images with slightly movement).

From a marketing point of view, this a smart move Blizzard pulled. They made a super friendly and colorful trailer with a animation quality that rivals even the giants of CGI animation (Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks) while introducing their most accessible game; this can potentially attract new players, either children or adults. And having children becoming attached with your brand at a young age can result on them becoming lifetime fans.

This short just proves that Blizzard can make any kind of stuff and result in something jawdropping. I'd love to see them invest in other media's other than games. I'd pay for a The Lost Vikings cartoon or a WoW movie done entirely with CGI (like "Tin Tin" and "Polar Express").

And what is the problem with Blizzard trying to make something Disney-ish? WoW itself has a lot of references to pop culture and the characters are slightly cartoon-ish. The Lost Vikings were one of the first games made by Blizzard and they're all cartoon styled. 

Also, Overwatch is pretty much a shooter with Disney-styled characters. You could slap them in the upcoming Disney's "Big Hero 7" and they would fit perfectly. I've never seen anyone saying it's a bad thing.

If anything, Lou is pretty much the equivalent of Gaston from "The Beauty and the Beast", while Balto looks a lot like Merlin from "The Sword on the Stone". Just like the Overwatch cast, you can see them overflowing with personality and expressions. It's a delight to my eyes.

My only concern with this short is that bringing a child to Goldshire is a dangerous idea, Blizzard... Just kidding.

Edited by Valhalen

On 23/8/2017 at 11:30 PM, positiv2 said:

Now I want Lou as an alternative paladin hero.

I want him as main paladin hero

• Like 1

On 24.08.2017 at 1:33 AM, Ogerscherge said:

What do you think, guys? Now that Hearthstone officially got a lot more personality, perhaps there will be hearthstone heroes in HotS one day as well. ^.^

Lou would be awesome! :D

Hearthstone has heroes? Aren't they from Warcraft lore anyways?

47 minutes ago, FanOfValeera said:

The player portraits are the heroes, like Valeera or Uther. And yeah, they are, though with the exception of Morgl the Oracle, who was first introduced in Hearthstone. There's a reason why Heroes of Warcraft was removed from the title.

On 28.8.2017 at 2:24 PM, FanOfValeera said:

Some of the Hearthstone cards, like Kazakus or Patches the Pirate for example, depict characters that are supposed to have their origin in the Warcraft universe, yet they don't appear in any game other than Hearthstone.

Morgl, as mentioned by positiv2, is clearly a Murloc from the Warcraft universe, yet he was created especially for Hearthstone. So yes, HS has a few original characters by now, that could be added to HotS.

So yes, if you want to see it like that, all characters from HS are somehow WC characters. ^-^

It just would feel weird, if they added Kazakus as a WC hero to HotS, when he does not appear in WC 1-3, or WoW (yet).