FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kulia

Just looking for some pointers

I mainly just want a few pointers out of this, but I'm a disc/holy priest (my raid leader asks me to go holy for certain fights where disc just doesn't pull ahead) and I feel like my healing can be a bit low. 
Armoury 

WoL (for the WoL, mainly looking at the Iron Juggernaut fight, the Galakras fight my healing is fine because I cheesed most of my output with divine star tongue.png)

I feel like I tunnel atonment too much and I want advice on how to stop that and what I really should be doing when atonment shouldn't really be used(other than using spirit-shell on cooldown, which I'm good at in some fights bad at in others).

As for my gear, I'm going for a balance in between a full out crit build and a full out mastery build, so I don't use ask mr robot or anything like that when it comes to gemming, reforging and enchanting.

If you want any more information just ask and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Oh, here is another WoL to look at just to compare it from the one from last nights raid. (On Norushen I switched to holy, so just ignore that unless you have something you really want to say about my performance there)

You should probably go pure crit considering you're 3 healing with 2 high output classes (looks better on healing meters too!!!)

well i dont know if i should but, i ignored your wipes because it was nowhere near what yours supposed to do. 

On the both kills you weren't using inner focus on cooldown, like you should be (in fact you wern't using it much at all). Macro it (make sure to keep track of your Inner focus cooldown, this macro doesn't). What I use:

#showtooltip Prayer of Healing

/cast Inner focus

/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] Prayer of Healing

You didn't use spirit shell enough. Just pay more attention to it smile.png. Better to use on cooldown than never or rarely (not because it cheeses the meter, but because it indirectly saves your other healer's mana). (if you run out of mana regurlarily, neglect this)

If everythings on cooldown, while everyones spread, or you need to move alot, consider bubble spamming (using pw:s)

You don't use Prayer of Mending at all. Use it.

You don't use emergency spells at all (binding heal, flash heal) your Angelic Bulwark proc'd once so there was a time to use it

you don't really use prayer of healing at all either

Good job on high Archangel uptime

They give us alot of spells for a reason. Just need to play around with them.

I think this is enough pointers to last a month. Good Luck!

-LostDignity

As for your gear, you need a lot more crit any gear with out it, reforge into it, you could use some more spirit but since you are 3 healing it keeping over 10k should be fine.

As for logs..

Galakras: (looks like all you did was tunnel atonement healing, ie not good.)

Not once did you use PW:S or PoM, no matter the fight you should always be using PW:S atleast once every 12s. (with the healer meta you should sheild 2-3 people each time it procs)

Need to make better use of SS, it can be used for single-target too. During the actual galakras part you should have just been spamming PoH/SS + DS on cd.

Does your group not stack for that fight? surprised the shams healing wasn't higher.

Iron Juggernaut:

Again you need to use PW:S n PoM more often, specially on those taking the mines.

With good positioning Halo with have a higher healing output, cascade isnt the best for 10m as disc.

Immerseus:

Looks fine, not much to heal on that fight tho lol 

Protectors:

Definitely should use SS more on this fight for the Calamity and Sun's desperate measure.

Your group should be stacked better so DS or Halo over cascade.

Norushen:

Any reason why you go holy for this? Disc is amazing on this fight. Go in first and then double dip from the buffs.

Group should be stacked a lot for this fight too.

Sha: (looks good)

Gotta get into using PW:S n PoM more tho. SS was higher so thats good.

How is your mana throughout these fights? If you oom early then either get more spirit or use the new mind bender on cd.

Didn't look at the groups dps, but a few of these fights you guys could probably 2 heal them if you or the sham has a good dps os.

Hope this helps you improve :)

I've definitely been using more crit and working on more PoM, PW:s and SS.

Here are logs from Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Norushen  I go holy on because my RL is *always* persisting that Disc just doesn't do well, even though I've done a flex run of this fight as disc(this is outside the raid group, but similar healer comp) and pulled 125k HPS, even after being one of the last ones in an orb. When we did it on Friday I got asked to go in an orb and I only want to go in them as disc, because I'm just too uncomfortable with Holy and I honestly feel like I'm being carried, and he just shot me down :/.

But I've actually been more pleased with my healing as of late (Saturday and Sunday, and the Shamans fight on Friday) but I do feel I still have a lot to improve on.

We do stack for Galakras, but the shaman goes in the towers and the person recording the logs, the resto druid, stays on the ground.

I'm aware that cascade isn't the best choice, but I honestly just prefer it because it's easier for me to use, some fights I do end up switching to halo(Immerseus is one), and I honestly just like the way I can use cascade before a pull just to put some pre-fight divine aegis' on people.

My spirit is fine, keeping around 10-11k is what I want to aim for, anymore than that and it would be a waste, I know that is the case because the previous patch I didn't actually do any raiding until the end and I had about 16k spirit and was ending every fight on near-full mana, which I don't want to do because I would've had less through-put. 
But, if we do end up moving onto heroic content like we eventually want to I might consider more spirit then, but that's a long way off considering we seem to be stuck on good ol' General Nazgrim :( 

if you run the tanks never go in strategy on norushen, disc does awesome. have top 2 dps go in first then each person going in next gets the purple orb to hit 100 curruption before clicking the gold orb. keep in mind healers do not spawn a big add, so you do top 2 dps in first, then 1dps and the disc and 1 dps and the other healer and finally 2 last dps. non disc healer gets 4 orbs then lower dps grab orbs towards the end and disc stays pure the whole fight. if your group has good dps you can probably just hero before the final 2 dps would go click on the gold orbs.

as disc it is important to burn mana into the 2 melee pandas to keep them at 100% and they will kill the add super fast.

Yeah. We send both tanks in on norushen for soaking purposes. We have tried sending me in as disc and that's never worked so :/.

And our dps isn't good enough for this strategy. And we don't have a full 10man team, so we normally pug someone so we wouldn't be able to set up that anyway because we wouldn't have a decent idea of what the pug can do. Tho we generally take the same pugs so maybe we could. But I doubt my raid leader would be open to changing our strategy for that anyway purely because what we do has worked consistently and trying something new would be obsolete at this point. But if we do end up doing norushen on heroic I'd bring this up since I'm definitely much more comfortable in disc.

I disagree very strongly with first poster on two things.

Binding heal is by _NO_ means an emergency heal.  It is very strong and very EFFICIENT (heal per mana spent) so you should be using it every damned chance you get.  If you're hurt a bit, throw one out. 

>consider bubble spamming (using pw:s)

This is stupid.  You're doing nothing but padding the meters and running yourself OOM.  I recommend against spirit shell on cooldown for the same reason, it's just padding the meters and spending more mana than you need to be.  If there's constant output of damage that's obviously different; Spirit shell on cooldown makes sense for galakras on the ground. 

Inner focus on cooldown yes.  Get an addon to track PoM and throw another at a tank when it is used up. 

Secondary stats: get as much crit as you can.  mastery is nice.  Reforge out of haste always.  Get enough spirit so that you're not OOMing on fights and not much more.

And what's up with your gems >_>  Most disc I know only use 80int/160 crit for red, 320crit for yellow/prismatic, and 160spirit/160crit for blue.  Are you poor?

>consider bubble spamming (using pw:s)

This is stupid.  You're doing nothing but padding the meters and running yourself OOM.  I recommend against spirit shell on cooldown for the same reason, it's just padding the meters and spending more mana than you need to be.  If there's constant output of damage that's obviously different; Spirit shell on cooldown makes sense for galakras on the ground. 

how the hell is preventing dmg padding the meters? whether you prevent the dmg or heal the dmg its the same thing.

And yes as disc if you are moving and need to heal, you pw:s spam

Edited by Omnae

The reason why bubble spamming is padding the meters, especially if you use it on cooldown during low damage periods, is because it makes the other healers run into overheal more often. I use PW:S often enough to keep Borrowed Time up and otherwise T6 ability, PoH, glyphed Binding Heal if the group is spread out.

The reason why bubble spamming is padding the meters, especially if you use it on cooldown during low damage periods, is because it makes the other healers run into overheal more often. I use PW:S often enough to keep Borrowed Time up and otherwise T6 ability, PoH, glyphed Binding Heal if the group is spread out.

using pw:s on cd is not bubble spamming you both are generalizing the word "spamming". By that logic anything being used on cd is just spamming. If you really wanted to make a case for "bubble spamming" you should used solid examples, i.e blanketing the raid group with it during a little to no dmg phase would be considered spamming, and if you are doing that in the first place you need to go back and learn how to heal.

using pw:s on cd is not bubble spamming you both are generalizing the word "spamming". By that logic anything being used on cd is just spamming. If you really wanted to make a case for "bubble spamming" you should used solid examples, i.e blanketing the raid group with it during a little to no dmg phase would be considered spamming, and if you are doing that in the first place you need to go back and learn how to heal.

I'll agree with you that you can use PW:S on several people as a filler when moving, but that's all. It's not something you would want to do habitually.

And what's up with your gems >_>  Most disc I know only use 80int/160 crit for red, 320crit for yellow/prismatic, and 160spirit/160crit for blue.  Are you poor?

Yep, I'm poor and the gems I use are the ones that are cheaper on the server, you've discovered my secret. I've actually been slowly regemming my gear a bit.

Spirit shell on CD is definitely something I'm not doing, I've just been doing it when the damage calls for it and to prevent damage.

I've also never been one to 'bubble spam' just because it's mana-intensive, however I'm going to try to chuck out as many PW:s's as possible during meta gem proc.

ive always approached bubbles from teh angle that any non-smart absorb that isnt used in full was a waste, but that said if your healing numbers are low and you feel like you could be doing more, start playing aggressively. waste bubbles and mana and overshield ppl just to learn when it was useful and when it was overkill. too many players think they have to save cds for some secret time or the whole raid will die, and then the whole raid dies because everyone was saving all their mana and cds.

if your healing is low and you feel like it may be because you dont press enough buttons, start hitting them all and attempt after attempt you can work your way down.

and just because you have a spell called prayer of healing doesnt mean you ahve to cast it while spirit shell is up. dont forget focus cd is reduced with every greater heal, so if theres a while where there isnt going to be any aoe, focus greater heal the MT (or focus poh the melee group) and then spirit shell greater heal any single target taht will take damage. lots of soo fights have dots out at any given time, and as long as the shell gets used in full it wasnt a waste. 

I have a terrible tendency to *ALWAYS* use PoH on spirit shell, I know this is wrong, but it's become a habit and I need to break it.

I definitely feel my healing as gone up, but compared to the other two healers in my raid group, the resto shaman and recently returned MW monk, my active time shows up as lower on the logs D:

but as long as I'm topping the meters and no one is dying that's okay I guess :p

Yep, I'm poor and the gems I use are the ones that are cheaper on the server, you've discovered my secret. I've actually been slowly regemming my gear a bit.

I'm sorry, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but........

If you are in a guild, and your RL wants to complain, the guild should be more helpful in gemming it's members (and enchants, and repairs, and etc.) Sorry, big beef of mine. 

For some reason, activity time is harder to accrue when I am disc healing compared to Holy, or when I am Shaman healing. I am pretty sure it has to do with channeling heals, or things like totems out, so I don't look to compare at that level. The idea of no one dying, that is the best meter smile.png

Activity is based on whether or not you are casting something or have something ticking out, either a heal spell or a damage spell. Which is why HoT classes easily maintain 100% uptime in logs.

Erm, coming to raid and being "raid ready" is the responsibility of each raid member, not the raid leader.  If the guild hands out free flasks enchants etc, great, but either way it's up to you to get yourself optimized. 

Of course, this assumes you're in a non-garbage guild.  If you're in a guild that doesn't care if your gems are crap, well. 

The guild doesn't care about my gems being crap, but my raid team does. 
In fact whenever I pick up new bits of gear people in the raid team can gem and enchant it all for me.

So it's really not that big of a deal.

if you're 3 healing you'll always have one healer who looks worse than the other 2. there just isnt enough damage on normal mode fights for 3 healers to all look good. the best you can do on teh meters is figure out how to most efficiently steal heals from teh other healers.

3 healing forces your group to be coordinated enough to do every fight longer, and implies that ppl in your group cant be trusted to survive the rough parts so you want extra heal cds. its an approach to raiding that can be more fun oriented and just requires dedication and patience. if people in your group are concerned youre underperforming, you may want to try some easier bosses with 2 heals regardless of how much the healer that goes dps can do. some fights may favor certain classes or playstyles and you may have a boss that turns out to be your specialty to look forward to each week.

if you do have to 3 heal but you decide to focus a little more on dps, bump up your spirit and haste and then favor crit over mastery. this build is horribly boring because you will cast smite A LOT. you basically just sit around waiting for emergency problems to solve. it will give you time to observe the raid and what's happening around you, and that can help improve a raider/team as well.

Edited by kitsu

Hello all, I've definitely been reading and taking onboard all your advice/ideas and I got my legendary cape yesterday, so on Friday I will post logs after we raid so you can give advice based on what I'm currently doing.

(The logs will come with an updated armoury link)

And now that we're further into SoO I'm finding a lot of fights where holy is going to pull ahead in our current raid setup (siege crafter, malkorok and Thok although for Thok my raid leader might have me jump onto my Druid since Druids for obvious reasons are the best healers for that fight (yay phase one!)) so some advice on my holy performance would be nice as well. I've managed to stack enough haste that I meet the first haste breakpoint which is all I foresee needing.

Thank you for all that have responded it's actually really helped me a lot in my healing performance and everyone in the raid has noticed especially our MW who went on hiatus a couple of weeks into the patch and has only recently come back. I definitely appreciate everyone who's taken the time to help.

(Now I need to work on better avoidance of the fire :P)