FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

StarCraft 2 Goes Free to Play on Nov 14

WYQsLth.jpg

The base StarCraft 2 game, aka Wings of Liberty, will be free to play from November 14th, as just announced by Mike Morhaime in the BlizzCon opening ceremony! In case you already own Wings of Liberty, you'll be getting the first expansion, Heart of the Swarm for free. No news on what happens to Heart of the Swarm owners or those that have all expansions, but we did get word of a new commanders for the game's co-op mode, Matt Horner and Mira Han, as well as a new co-op mission!
The competitive ladder will also be part of the free to play version.

Blizzard LogoStarcraft 2 (source)

Hello and welcome to the Koprulu Sector!

We recognize that you might have found your way here after hearing the news that StarCraft II is going free-to-play very soon—on November 14, to be exact. Curious what that actually means? We know “free-to-play” can mean a lot of things for different games, but we’re here to assure you that when we say that we’re making StarCraft II free-to-play, we really mean it.

Starting November 14, you’ll have free access to the original Wings of Liberty single-player campaign and every Co-op Commander, and will be able to unlock access to StarCraft II’s competitive multiplayer content for free. Here is a specific rundown of everything that will be available to you for free:

• The original Wings of Liberty campaign. Experience the original epic campaign that kicked off the StarCraft II saga! If you picked up Wings of Liberty previously but haven’t come back to StarCraft II in a while, we’ve got good news for you too—if you already own Wings of Liberty, you’ll receive the second installment in StarCraft II’s campaign, the zerg-focused Heart of the Swarm, for free. Make sure to log in between November 8 and December 8 to claim it.
  • You will be able to access the ranked multiplayer ladder to compete with other players to become the best of the best, complete with all of the multiplayer units from Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, and Legacy of the Void. All you have to do to unlock it permanently is earn 10 First Wins of the Day in Unranked or Versus A.I. play—our way to preserve the quality and integrity of the ranked experience.
  • Current and upcoming Co-op Commanders are available to play for free up to level five, and the level restriction for weekly mutations has been removed. You’ll be able to tackle these extra challenging missions with your friends right away. The Co-op Commanders Raynor, Kerrigan, and Artanis will remain completely free, meaning that you can keep leveling them to your heart’s content.

In other words, you can now play all of StarCraft II’s multiplayer, every Co-op Commander, and the entire first campaign in the single-player story, for free.

If you play through Wings of Liberty and want to see how the rest of the epic single-player saga unfolds, all the other single-player campaigns—Heart of the Swarm, Legacy of the Void, and Nova Covert Ops will be available to purchase individually for $14.99 or as a bundle for $39.99. We will also continue to offer premium upgrades like announcer packs, special skins, and new Co-op Commanders to enhance your StarCraft II experience in a number of different ways. As with the existing line-up of Co-op Commanders, however, you will be able to play upcoming new Co-op Commanders who are released for free until they reach level 5. You can also purchase any of the campaigns or a seasonal War Chest to gain immediate access to ranked play if you desire.

For those of you who have already purchased any of the three campaigns as of October 31, we’ll soon be sending you a small thank-you in the form of an exclusive Ghost skin as well as three new portraits.

PE2YKIACTLK51509583921042.jpg

Welcome to the StarCraft community, and we hope you enjoy diving into the game anew—or for the first time—with all these exciting new changes! 

• Like 1

Does that mean we will cover WoW Classic? Wait, wrong thread. Jokes aside, I was considering buying Starcraft II to complete my Blizzard games collection, but looks like I was lucky not to rush the decision.

2 hours ago, Starym said:

For those of you who have already purchased any of the three campaigns as of October 31, we’ll soon be sending you a small thank-you

This thank-you is really small. I got three addons (besides Nova's) and would be glad to have Nova's for free but I won't, I suppose.

2 hours ago, HenrySteinway said:

This thank-you is really small. I got three addons (besides Nova's) and would be glad to have Nova's for free but I won't, I suppose.

Well better than nothing right. We paid to play the game 7 years earlier before it turns f2p so that's hell of a time. Can't really be angry and beg for a refund. Giving game for free is more like good will than punishing those who bought it

Edited by Kaelos
  • Like 2

The Han and Horner combo is brilliant. 

There aren't as many iconic Terran characters left to act as a stand alone commander (except for Tychus, who I expect last), so putting two in one package is great; especially these two, given their relationship.  I can't wait to here the in game banter between them.

I also love the mercenary and elite units force they are giving the pair.  It feels almost like a coin flip, and unique among all the commanders so far.

6 hours ago, Kaelos said:

Giving game for free is more like good will than punishing those who bought it

It has nothing to do with good will. It's pretty obvious, give out the first campaign for free to tease new players to buy the rest, by now there are a lot of cosmetic items for purchase and why only make them available for ppl who bought SC2 if you can make a lot more ppl throw their money out for it as well as the Co-Op commanders limited to level 5 is making ppl buy the game to unlock further levels.

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

It has nothing to do with good will. It's pretty obvious, give out the first campaign for free to tease new players to buy the rest, by now there are a lot of cosmetic items for purchase and why only make them available for ppl who bought SC2 if you can make a lot more ppl throw their money out for it as well as the Co-Op commanders limited to level 5 is making ppl buy the game to unlock further levels.

Sure they want to get some money out of it - and why not?

Nobody is forced to buy cosmetic stuff or the expansions. (Hell, I bought SC 2 + Heart of the Swarm - but never legacy of the void, because HotS sucked so hard. And I didn't spent a single buck on cosmetics / coop commanders)

The SinglePlayer campaign of Wings of Liberty is not bad and worth a play.

We have a LAN each year and I know of some guys who don't own SC2. They definitly profit from this new play for free. They will install it and then they can join in a few games on our LAN.

They definitly won't spend 1 Cent on anything else, but they profit nicely for the few days the LAN lasts.

I didn't want to say it's something bad, ofc there will be player who will be able to enjoy the game without spending money and that's great but their reason to make it F2P is not to make people happy who won't/can't spent money :D

Edited by Caldyrvan

I bought Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void almost right as they came out, for Heart of the Swarm I waited for it to become cheap (really hate the zerg). Also got Nova missions (did the preorder thing to save munniez). Feels kinda bad there's not something for people who did that but nevertheless, nice gesture from Blizzard.

Am I stupid? I just checked the shop and now that Wings of Liberty is F2P they increased price for the other two campaigns as well as the battle chest, damn smart money making minds there.

30 minutes ago, Caldyrvan said:

Am I stupid? I just checked the shop and now that Wings of Liberty is F2P they increased price for the other two campaigns as well as the battle chest, damn smart money making minds there.

I didn't see the prices beforehand, but I can't find any mention of it on the SC reddit or something. I would have expected at least someone to go crazy if they had increased it.

hm .. I was sure the price was lower before, without any special discount or offers.

Doesn't matter to me I have all the stuff. Just strange.

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

hm .. I was sure the price was lower before, without any special discount or offers.

Doesn't matter to me I have all the stuff. Just strange.

It definitely could have, I'm really not sure!

• Haha 1