FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Tier Sets Removed in Battle for Azeroth

Not sure how I feel about this, Tier Sets were one of the biggest reasons people farmed raids in most WoW expacs. Perhaps there will be bonuses to Raid gear that isnt necessarily game changing in anyway, like an extra modification for the azerite system.

2 hours ago, Rammbone said:

No tier pieces. No pvp realms. Is BfA even WoW? More excited for classic granted they don't molest it too much.

The merge of PvP and PvE servers is the best thing ever.

19 hours ago, Starym said:

The more variety there is in content the better a game is, but ofc it's not always that simple as usually when game devs do this kind of thing it massively lessens the uniqueness of rewards and makes everything the same and boring.

I totally agree with your posts. It's just that this announcement creates potential issues and several questions, which I am trying to answer by rationalising them.

I see the same debate surface: just like 10man vs 25man difficulty, now we'll have the Raiding vs Mythic+ "difficulty". Which one is considered more difficult? Arguments can be made for both sides and it's something the dev team needs to take into account.

Lastly, having a lot of sources for gear is good, but I hope they don't reach the completely opposite side like in Guild Wars 2. In GW2, you can get BiS gear from everywhere: crafting, dungeons, the raid, vendors. They have made gearing useless. I've stopped playing GW2 3,5 years now and my friends, who still play, tell me that if I return, my gear will still be BiS. Unfortunately, Blizzard have also shown that they like extremes: when x is black and people don't like black, we make it white; there are no gray solutions. Hopefully, they won't mess up as bad as Arenanet did.

On 15. 11. 2017 at 3:42 PM, music49 said:

Azerite gear will not titanforge so the highest gear will still be tied to raiding

I don't think the vast majority of players will care that much. If there's a weekly cache in BfA, you still get decent rewards. Of course there will always be min/maxers who will raid and try get the best items they can, but from a personal standpoint, I'd rather sacrifice a few ilvls on Azerite armor then commit to a full raid schedule. I'm sure the best trinkets will be gated behind raids though.

Set bonuses provide a small power spike. What will you do first when Antorus opens? It's obvious. Collect your T21 bonuses asap, because T20 bonuses got nerfed to the ground, upgrade Legendary items to 1K and let's not forget the sweet trinkets from Argus. What's your priority when there are no set bonuses and Legendary items to upgrade? The raid is simply not worth the effort, unless raids drop some sort of special Azerite armor or something in order to make raiding worthwhile.

That`s wrong on SO many levels. The entire point of having sets is about changing playstyles, mixing last and current set and so on - to delete this means to delete the entire layer of itemisation.

Edited by MrOger

7 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't think the vast majority of players will care that much. If there's a weekly cache in BfA, you still get decent rewards. Of course there will always be min/maxers who will raid and try get the best items they can, but from a personal standpoint, I'd rather sacrifice a few ilvls on Azerite armor then commit to a full raid schedule. I'm sure the best trinkets will be gated behind raids though.

Set bonuses provide a small power spike. What will you do first when Antorus opens? It's obvious. Collect your T21 bonuses asap, because T20 bonuses got nerfed to the ground, upgrade Legendary items to 1K and let's not forget the sweet trinkets from Argus. What's your priority when there are no set bonuses and Legendary items to upgrade? The raid is simply not worth the effort, unless raids drop some sort of special Azerite armor or something in order to make raiding worthwhile.

I agree that removing set bonuses will remove some of the ambition to progress, and raid constantly, however, I do feel like it will truly show who the real players are.

There are a lot of people that hide behind set bonuses and they won't be able to do this anymore.

Mixing 2p and 4p set bonuses from previous and current tier should have NEVER been a thing.  IMHO it detracts too much from the game the way it was designed and literally if that makes or breaks the build then it locks you out of 6 gear slots, if the legendaries for your current build take up 2 more then it locks you out of 8 slots, if your build making/breaking legendaries are in your tier slots then you are screwed out of running dual sets.  Neither option is fair to anyone, and I feel like being locked into gear slots that you can't change out negatively impacts the game and build system in place.

Do I want to see set bonuses go out the window?  Not really because I like the idea behind them guiding the class into a build and play-style, but without them I feel like the builds will have more variety because they won't require that gear interaction that we currently see.

I feel like WoW is trying to revitalize the game, however I don't think they know how to do it properly.  Take Black Desert Online for example...  Most non-boss sets have set bonuses, and the bonus you choose depends on how you're trying to build, if you want to build defensive (hp, evasion, etc..) or offensive (accuracy, attack power, etc...)  However Boss items give strong boosts themselves, which is something that could be brought over to WoW, Raid pieces give higher stats, or boost certain aspects of the class, etc...

I want to see BFA succeed, because I like the fact that it's delving back into the relationship between the Alliance and Horde.  We're going back and meeting people from the Vanilla/TBC era.  We're almost going back in the story to reread the chapters we missed.  And I for one am glad.

• Like 1

From the Q and A round-up

" There will be unique trinkets from raids. Azerite armor from raids will provide properties that can be found only in raids. Assembling people and maintaining schedule needs to feel worthwhile and properly rewarding. "

I'm putting my trust in blizzard to balance it as well as possible, and if they don't do a good job, the community will complain and they will go back to tier sets later in the expansion or the expansion after that

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2017 at 7:47 AM, Zadina said:

I think the whole issue starts with warforging and titanforging. It's what makes older raid sets still relevant when they shouldn't be. It's what makes it possible for a casual player, a M+ player, a hardcore raider and an all-around player to all have the same item level or have some crazy differences between them. And as it was stated in BlizzCon, even though it's becoming less random (whatever that means), warforging will stay in BfA.

I could not agree more. War / Titanforging ruined the game IMO. I loved when my item level represented my raiding skill, which could currently do the same with M+ by representing your skill in the level keystone you are able to complete. I wish forging was removed completely. Getting lucky feels good, and I get their point, but it screws up way too much in the game to be worth it.

I've always liked Tier set, it's a nice extra buff. But again its RNG just like the legendary system in Legion. It all nice and funny, you never know when a legendary will pop up. 

I like that you can farm gear, and the more you farm, and the more hours you put into a character is shown through your gear. But when RNG plays in and you sometimes just are the unlucky scrub, it's too sad. 

I can't wait to see how it plays out and I hope they find a new system to show off your hours through gear, but also how the new legendaries will be obtained. 

But from what I've seen so far, I'll give them their time and credits... It looks like they are on to something.