FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lokisapocalypse

Explain gemming priority

I don't quite understand the strategy on gemming so perhaps someone can explain it to me.

The guide indicates int should be our top priority so why for the red slots are we not just gemming straight int instead of +80 int / +160 haste?

Hello little Mage.

The theory behind gems at the moment is that secondary stats are more than half as potent as primary stats.  Therefore, when you can gem secondary stats, you typically gain more DPS than if you were to gem primarily Intellect.

For example, let's say Intellect gives you 8 DPS per point and Mastery gives you 5 DPS per point.  Let's look at some calculations.

Brilliant = 160 Intellect * 8 DPS/Intellect = 1280 DPS

Artful = 80 Intellect * 8 DPS/Intellect + 160 Mastery * 5 DPS/Mastery = 640 + 800 = 1440 DPS. 

Here, in this gem alone, you would gain 160 DPS.  Calculated up over all of your gems, this would be a sizeable gain.  As long as the stat weight of your secondary stats is more than half of Intellect, it will always be a DPS gain to gem hybrid gems because of the double stat allocation of secondary stats on gems.

Okay thanks for the clarification. I played a lot in Cata where the idea was that unless the gem bonus was +int, you just put the pure int gem in every spot regardless of color. Based on the Icy Veins guide, it seemed like that was still the case but the gemming section seemed to go against that.

Either way, your explanation makes sense. I'd like to see the Icy Vein guide go into more detail on this.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you use Ask Mr. Robot, it considers haste break on dot spells. So, if you can hit the next break up, and it works out being more dps, it will have you gems a lot of haste. If not, it will send your gems in another direction. 

Int is still king. That's why any Intelligence-based class will enchant their cloak for Int instead of Critical Strike. In MoP, though, they detuned main-stat gems so that they weren't automatically the first choice. You use them only if 1 Int is more valuable than 2 of any other single stat.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spukie
      Hello hunters,
      did any of you tested any good pvp specc for hunter at 100 level?
      stats,gemming,talents etc to help us?
    • By Uzi
      So, what's with some high end warriors using this orange gem? that puts them WAY over haste cap.. any explanation would be helpful.
    • By Caztek
      I just have one question i just cant find a proper answer for...

Gemming full parry in red, parry/dodge in yellow and parry/stam in blue is a dps increase when u use the glyph of hold the line, i get that, and i also know that dodge has a bigger DR than parry so its better to use more parry because u can have more of it without losing its potential and stuff.

But my question is, when gemming this way how many survivability do i loose? like is gemming parry/dodge better for survivability than gemming pure parry? and why?
      Do i get more Revenge procs out of it? do i regen more rage during a fight?
      all questions i cant find a proper answer for =/

i want to to high dps, sure. but not for the cost of high survivability...

So if anyone is out there and knows the stat prioritys and the DR on both Parry and dodge and can tell whats better it would be great =) thx guys
    • By Zixx
      I read through the resto shaman guide on a monthly basis sometimes every other week even. My shaman is one of the main healers for our flex and 10N raids, the other one being a Disc priest. To be fair I am quite new to the raiding scene, only started very late patch 5.3.
      There is no real issue with the healing in our raids. Though my method has become quite unorthodox in gemming and reforging. And this is where I want your opinion.

My character
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-maelstrom/Magume/advanced
      My stat priority: Haste (5676)>Mastery(5400)>Crit>Spirit

This already screams a big "WHAT?!" from a lot of you here. So I'll give my reasoning. The gear from SoO I have won so far has no haste on it but an excsessive amount of spirit. The haste cap I feel most comfortable at is 5676 and to achieve this I am actually going down in my other stats.
      I was more than happy when I started raiding to have a combat regen of 12000, I had no issue with my mana and when I did, I had my lightning bolt and my mana tide (yes, I do use MTT when the other healers need it too, not just myself).
      When I started winning gear my mana regen went up to 17000. I do not need this.

The gemming asks for spirit spirit and a bit of other stats depending on the colour. As I said before I have too much spirit on my gear, let alone gems.
      So I got the idea to gem mostly haste. And as I gain new pieces this is becoming more and more the case. What this does is actually make it way easier to reach my preferred softcap.

I also got the crazy idea of reforging spirit. As I said before, I had too much purely on my gear. And by reforging spirit into haste and crit (mastery is too high, thats always reforged instead of spirit) I firstly reach the haste soft cap easily and secondly lets me indulge in crit quite a lot.

Crit also gives me my mana back beautifully and I really can not complain about the extra heals it gives nor the critical heals in general.

I have actually seen a larger improvement these past two weeks in my healing (so has the disc priest) since I have used my method than the one we all know and trust.

What's your opinion on what I've done?
    • By Thibbledorf
      Hey everyone.  I've been lurking on the forums for a bit, but I honestly just need some serious help.  Looking foreward to 5.4 I need to step up my game.  I've been playing Destro as a blanket specc this tier while raid-leading just due to the simplicity of the specc.  I'm not getting ready to swap over to affliction and all the resources I've been checking, along with some 1 to 1's from warlocks on my server have left me horrendously confused.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Thibbledorf/advanced

^that's my warlock.  His gear is ok, that's not the problem.  I'm pretty sure it's me.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x450viki9xui8d3o/details/4/  (Demo logs)
      http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3eyftxxa1ij7u2kl/details/8/ (Destro logs)

^recent-ish logs, guild took a few weeks off in order to prep for Siege.

My main request is I honestly need help regemming my gear for affliction, reforging isn't as complicated.  I've read everything from just blanket mastery up to hitting the 13,000 haste mark and any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.