FORUMS
Stan

Maiev Hero Spotlight

12vWL9j.jpg

Check out Maiev and her abilities in the official spotlight!

Update: Maiev has been added to Heroes on the official website.

Trait - Vault of the Wardens

• Allows her to vault into the air becoming temporarily immune to damage unable to be hit by AoE attacks.

Fan of Knives (Q)

• Throws several knives in a crescent path hitting all enemies in the targeted area. If at least two Heroes are hit, its cooldown is drastically reduced.

Umbral Bind (W)

• Upon activation, her next basic attacks becomes a cleave. Heroes hit become tethered to Maiev for a short duration. If a Hero tries to run away, they get instantly pulled towards her.

Spirit of Vengeance (E)

• The ability serves for attack or movement. She sends out two ghosts along a path that return to the place where the ability was cast. When the ability is active, Maiev can teleport to the ghost. The ability is great for escaping or engaging.

Containment Disc (R1)

• Throws a warglaive that hits the first targeted Hero in its path. A short time afterward, Maiev can reactivate the ability to take out a critical member of the enemy team and remove their vision.

Warden's Cage (R2)

• A ring of Warden avatars surrounds an area. Enemies that get too close to the avatars get pushed to the center of the ring. Creative use of the ability limits enemy movement.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Maiev Shadowsong stood watch over the imprisoned Betrayer for ten thousand years, and hunted him relentlessly after he was released. Some say she’s determined; others say she’s obsessed. Either way, she will stop at nothing to ensure the security of her world. Get all the necessary information and gameplay tips on our newest Assassin Hero, Maiev, The Warden, in this spotlight video!

nice, after re-watching the black temple cinematic from legion, i was sure that vault was going to be part of her kit.

i find it odd they didnt just give her shadowstrike as a teleport attack rather than the spirit. seems kinda too much for her to have so much CC and an awesome escape move but maybe they wanted to give opponents some warning of her coming instead of having her pop on them. still feels kinda random and id prolly have given her shadowmeld as a trait to go invis while standing and made the vault her 3rd ability to be able to disengage.

3 minutes ago, Brauchief said:

nice, after re-watching the black temple cinematic from legion, i was sure that vault was going to be part of her kit.

i find it odd they didnt just give her shadowstrike as a teleport attack rather than the spirit. seems kinda too much for her to have so much CC and an awesome escape move but maybe they wanted to give opponents some warning of her coming instead of having her pop on them. still feels kinda random and id prolly have given her shadowmeld as a trait to go invis while standing and made the vault her 3rd ability to be able to disengage.

I think shadowmeld would of been too unimpactful.  It would essentially be a wind walker where you can't move.  They'd have to do something like teemo where she'd get insane attack speed for a few seconds after leaving stealth.  But who knows, it might become a talent.  

5 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

This hero in a nutshell 

Maiev as Rorschach

Illidan as Inmate A

Edited by VinsX
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm enjoying reading all the youtube comments about how OP a hero she's gonna be and how broken Umbral Bind is but after mulling all this over I can say that, for me, this doesn't seem like Maeiv at all. Wardens are all about hunting down that ONE guy yet she has no single target at all.

Edited by Brutalis

18 minutes ago, Brutalis said:

I'm enjoying reading all the youtube comments about how OP a hero she's gonna be and how broken Umbral Bind is but after mulling all this over I can say that, for me, this doesn't seem like Maeiv at all. Wardens are all about hunting down that ONE guy yet she has no single target at all.

Ye cuz original wc3 warden kit was so focused on single target. Just shadow strike...

I'm glad they give her some new tools. Blizz is showing with it that even maybe in WoW warden could be possible class thats different from rogue or other similar archetypes which previously wardens were connected to.

13 minutes ago, Erialis said:

Ye cuz original wc3 warden kit was so focused on single target. Just shadow strike...

I'm glad they give her some new tools. Blizz is showing with it that even maybe in WoW warden could be possible class thats different from rogue or other similar archetypes which previously wardens were connected to.

And they could wear mail... :-) Stop the leather classes now!!! ;-)

Maybe this will make people less quick to choose Tracer?

Poor Tyreal... on the plus side, I do like the idea of using teleport with a lockdown to bite into Sgt. Hammer.

Some area attacks and ports to hunt for Samuro. Yeah, I could like her. :p

I honestly thought she was going to be the next stealth hero but this is gloriously better in near every single way. Expecting clutch plays on godtier Alarak players level. 

• Like 1

The untouchable Genji as the king of high engage and disengage will soon meet his tragic end. Great to see Blizzard's been listening to all the mobility hero hate and finally answered in kind. I love how Maiev's ult's both have a so many uses.

You don't even have to lock anyone up with the first ultimate, you can just make the enemy think you'll do it, so they won't activate any abilities before you do it, meaning they won't use any abilities for the whole window you can activate it and then you put them in stasis so they have to wait even longer to start using their crazy combos.

The other ult seems kinda pointless alone, but it can most likely have a ton of synergies with AoE based ults like Lamb to the SlaughterLamb to the Slaughter and PhoenixPhoenix.

The lack of single-target damage is a big flaw, but she has so much potential in engaging, disengaging, cheesing powerful single-target abilities and forcing enemies to stay in battle, that I fail to see how a lack of damage can be flaw. She will most likely be one of the most strategic characters released in a long time.

Edited by Fliits

17 minutes ago, Plergoth said:

I honestly thought she was going to be the next stealth hero but this is gloriously better in near every single way. Expecting clutch plays on godtier Alarak players level. 

Indeed! 
Another Setup Heroic! Yey! We more of those. There are too many followup heroics that needs setups and we dont have enough setups. :D 
She doesnt even seem like melee hero though. She looks like a spammy AoE ranged dmg dealer. 

The untouchable Genji as the king of high engage and disengage will soon meet his tragic end. Great to see Blizzard's been listening to all the mobility hero hate and finally answered in kind. I love how Maiev's ult's both have a so many uses.

You don't even have to lock anyone up with the first ultimate, you can just make the enemy think you'll do it, so they won't activate any abilities before you do it, meaning they won't use any abilities for the whole window you can activate it and then you put them in stasis so they have to wait even longer to start using their crazy combos.

The other ult seems kinda pointless alone, but it can most likely have a ton of synergies with AoE based ults like Lamb to the SlaughterLamb to the Slaughter and PhoenixPhoenix.

The lack of single-target damage is a big flaw, but she has so much potential in engaging, disengaging, cheesing powerful single-target abilities and forcing enemies to stay in battle, that I fail to see how a lack of damage can be flaw. She will most likely be one of the most strategic characters released in a long time.

I dont think shes gonna counter him that much. The Wardens Cage looks like a perfect setup heroic. 
Tyrandes ulti with it would be nice too. Or RIP-Tire for a ping pong effect :D :D 

The lack of single-target dmg is i think justified. She has too much mobility and too much lock-down. If she would have a great single-target dmg on top of that she wouldnt need her team. lol 

Edited by xevex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Erialis said:

Not just mechanically, conceptually. Wardens are assassins and bounty hunters and jailers, leaving their posts to track down single fugitives. They aren't know for cleaving down a dozen foes. They are known for going after the most badass individuals in existence and dragging them back one by one to be executed or imprisoned. When you think of Maiev you think of her relentless pursuit of Illidan not the chaffe that got in the way.

Edited by Brutalis

3 minutes ago, Brutalis said:

Not just mechanically, conceptually. Wardens are assassins and bounty hunters and jailers, leaving their posts to track down single fugitives. They aren't know for cleaving down a dozen foes. They are known for going after the most badass individuals in existence and dragging them back one by one to be executed or imprisoned. When you think of Maiev you think of her relentless pursuit of Illidan not the chaffe that got in the way.

Welcome to HotS. What matters is the kit. Heroes are just cosmetic thing. There are heroes that basically were put together just for the kit. Blaze among them. 

Btw, am i seeing things or Fan of Knives is actually not AoE but multiple projectiles. Which means the closer you are more dmg it deals? That wouldn make sense though. 

3 minutes ago, xevex said:

Welcome to HotS. What matters is the kit. Heroes are just cosmetic thing. There are heroes that basically were put together just for the kit. Blaze among them.

Oh I realise. But still. Her kit isn't anything like what her fantasy dictates it should be and I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the characters in this game line up well with their canonical representations and the lore from their respective universe.

25 minutes ago, Brutalis said:

Oh I realise. But still. Her kit isn't anything like what her fantasy dictates it should be and I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the characters in this game line up well with their canonical representations and the lore from their respective universe.

Wouldnt say vast majority. Some do, some dont. Did Garrosh throw people around in WoW? :D 
Imo there some Heroes that are flashed out and are very easy to port into the moba genre. For example Genji/Junkrat/Tracer have the same abilities and ultis and they pretty much work the same way as in OW. Hanzo on is much more spammy in OW and his Scatters works differently his Dragonstrike insta-kills instead of being a useless zoning tool lol.

There are some Heroes that dont have a kit that could work in HotS. 
Kelthuzad kit for example looks much differently then his WoW kit. 

And there are some Heroes just for the kit like Maiev. I think its fit her though. 
And truth be told if you only think about the kit not the cosmetics you gonna have much more fun to use hero. 
All of Maievs abilities have nice synergy between them. 
Well i would understand if someone doesnt like the fact that her kit doesnt really fit her from the point of single-target dmg. 
Thats understandable. But i stopped playing WoW in BC so i have no idea abouth the charas. 

For me its a day one buy. :D 

One sad thing is the lvl 20 talents. There are no talents that improve her ultimates. :(

Edited by xevex

46 minutes ago, Brutalis said:

Well I mean her only AoE damage ability is Fan of Knives which is pretty much lifted from her WC3 kit.  All of her other effects do actually go really well with the Warden containing and bringing back escaped inmates.  She has her leash/pull which does both aspects.  Her Vengeance/Blink and her Vault make it hard for her targets to stop her chase (assuming you're good enough to use them) and both of her Heroics are about stopping escapes or containing a victim.  Seems to work thematically to me.  *shrug*

Edited by TSRD

Watches Spotlight saying "if she hits atleast 2 enemy heroes..."
Checks her battle.net page saying "if she hits atleast 3 enemy heroes..." 

She dint even come out and is already getting nerfed. 
I really hope that they take it back to 2 because 3 hits would make her literally niche.
180 dmg on 5 second cd. 

Fun Fact: Maievs health pool is a little smaller then Ragnaroses and she has a passive 15 armor. 

Edited by xevex
  • Thanks 1